ADVERTISEMENT

5+7 Playoff proposal

jesterondirt

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator
Sep 28, 2006
New proposal no longer guarantees a G5 champion, but it doesn't guarantee all P5 champions are in either. If a G5 champion is ranked higher than say the Pac 12 champ, they are guaranteed a spot.

I personally see this as a win as it doesn't separate P5 and G5 as far as guarantees go.

New proposal no longer guarantees a G5 champion, but it doesn't guarantee all P5 champions are in either. If a G5 champion is ranked higher than say the Pac 12 champ, they are guaranteed a spot.

The 6 plus 6 did not guarantee p5 either.

The 6 plus 6 did not guarantee p5 either.
Good point

"The ‘6+6’ model gives automatic qualifiers to the six-highest ranked conference champions and at large berths to the next six highest ranked teams."

So that means you would have to be ranked 12 or 13 to get in. That would probably eliminate Tulane, James Madison, Fresno, etc. this year. Most years it would eliminate the G5. G5's are ranked less than that 2 or 3 years out of 4.

So that means you would have to be ranked 12 or 13 to get in. That would probably eliminate Tulane, James Madison, Fresno, etc. this year. Most years it would eliminate the G5. G5's are ranked less than that 2 or 3 years out of 4.
Pac 2 though

Yeah, we are competing with a < conference. That makes it a little more feasible. But if they let the Pac 2 compete for that 5th bid, Oregon St is #12 this year. Who knows if they will compete for it, or if they can maintain that higher ranking than any G5.

Next year we'd be competing with Wilds of Oregon St #12, OSU at #15 if those rankings were the same. Though the Pac II may get fairly or unfairly dissed on in the rankings next year. So whether or not they perform the same, they might not be ranked as high.

The way I hear though, is Houston is gonna be #3 preseason next year, and SMU is gonna beat out Florida St. ;) Won't matter for Houston though, since Colorado is gonna win the Natty next year.

Anything is better than the status quo. Eventually this thing will balloon out to 16 like it should be

It will be interesting to see what happens with these super duper conferences. Will it be so sexy to be 3-5th and never get in the playoff? Good luck OU! You know all of their fans buttholes are kind of tight about the move.

Anything is better than the status quo. Eventually this thing will balloon out to 16 like it should be
A 16 team playoff bracket would require 4 consecutive victories to determine the winner. I think that's feasible given the media demand for college football and the fact that players are now being compensated through NIL, so naysayers can't use the "they're sacrificing their bodies without compensation" argument. I won't be watching a single game if they keep the G5 teams out and fill up the brackets with SEC / Big10 teams instead.

The problem with the 12 team bracket is that the top 4 don’t get the extra revenue of an additional home game. That will be a big deal for teams ranked 5-8. Win and you get to play the top 4 at neutral sites.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT