ADVERTISEMENT

Saban Retires

Because the sport is run by a bunch of rednecks with enough ego and ignorance to spontaneously combust the piles of money they sit on. The same guys that have a tackle box full of hooks, but only fish with one of them because that one is "lucky." Because sailors dont trust a Jonah. Because half the sport is administrated by a bunch of guys that were too crooked for wrestling and NASCAR but everyone still wonders why college football has a good ol' boy problem. Because nobody wants to be the fool that was warned not to hire from the G5 like Florida, did it anyway, wasted tens of millions of dollars, gets fired and has to try to find a real job selling insurance in some small town.
SouthPark had it right with the CBBA...

I think you see a lot of recycling at the top, just like you see a lot of HC's recycled in the NFL. And why? Why did Houston hire Romeo Crennel after the disaster he had in Cleveland. On rare occasions do you see recycling an old HC to a new team work in the NFL. Pete Carroll, Bill Belichick and Andy Reid are a few I can actually recall. I mean look at all the recycled coaches that have failed: Mike Shanahan was not good when he was at Washington. Hell even Joe Gibbs, one of my favorite coaches of all time, was a disaster for his 2nd stint in Washington. Parcells wasn't great at Dallas. Maybe Tony Dungy had some success in Tampa but I don't remember it that way. I think the newer trend is to hire up and coming assistants who are able to show some innovation in their approach to the game. Why we see Kyle Shanahan, McVay, McDaniel, Campbell in Detroit (and that hire was blasted by a lot of fans and a lot of the talking heads who supposedly know the game).

Hugh Freeze isn't going to work in Auburn...another recycled coach. We'll see what happens to Rhule at Nebraska. I think it works for teams and programs when you go outside the circle and hire guys no one has ever really heard of instead of the big coordinator. What has been our most successful hire since the 80s? Kragthorpe...easily. And a lot of people went "Who?" I would say Drinkwitz at Mizzou was somewhat the same although he was a P5 OC prior to getting the gig but you know most Mizzou fans wanted a guy with HC experience and wondered why they were settling for an OC from a middle tier P5.

Find guys who not only talk about innovation and ides, but know how to demonstrate them in interviews. Most guys can prepare for an interview and hit on all the big attention getting talking points...can anyone say Keith Burns, but do those guys actually have innovative ideas to implement?

Kragthorpe was a success because people who know football insisted on someone who knew football. Rather than other searches where search firms, agents, and arrogant administrators controlled the process.

You can gauges the relative health and stability of programs from 20 through 60 by seeing which ones constantly flip flop between young OC and old HC. You could fit us into that category too to be frank.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT