ADVERTISEMENT

Rockhurst Game

I'm not going to judge how this season is going to go by tonight's game. I'm just expecting nothing special because of the past 3 seasons, Haith can't get it done, but because of the poor administration, we won't see a change

this entire thread is disgusting. TU was late and confused in the first, looked just like the team I had hoped for in the 2nd. Lots of upside.
If you hate Haith, just give away your tickets and go hide in a hole for a few months. I'm not a huge fan, but this negativity makes me want to quit Rivals.

Here’s a few observations from tonight:

Hill looks like a true PG. Very good court awareness, quickness, ball skills and a nice shot. Very impressive.

Rachal is a great athlete that plays well all over the court. He will be filling up the stat sheets.

I missed the first 4 minutes, so what minutes I saw of Jones were good. I love offensive rebounding, so both of Jones follow dunks were impressive to me.

Ugbah is a legit big man. He didn’t play a lot or really show a lot tonight, but I’m very glad we have him. You can see the potential. Hopefully I’ll see more of him next game.

Early only played late ! (last few minutes). He looks very good for a freshman. Quick ups, nice game. I hope we don’t redshirt him. He could definitely contribute this season.

Of the returning players, Jackson looked the most improved. He shot well & just makes plays on both ends of the court.

Overall, this is the most athletic TU team I’ve seen in a long time. Nolan would have loved this group for his 40 minutes of hell gameplan. If we can shoot it well enough, we could be very good.

Reactions: quincy101
I would grade it by halves. 1st half D, excused from an F by Haith crazy lineups. 2nd half B-. Comments on Jackson and Hill are definitely accurate.

I think both of those are accurate.

The second half had really only two big issues. We have to shoot better, some of that may just be them getting use to the extended 3-point line. Just the fact that they have to be aware of it and it's not second nature to set up on it may be causing them to become mechanical instead of flowing.

The box out issue, a carry over from last year. I did see our bigs do a better job, but our wings and guards depend too much on their athleticism to get it done. Luckily we are much more athletic than previous years but some solid contact and push is needed if they want to be truly consistent rebounders.

If we shot better or had more seal them out rebounds that would have been an A type half.

I almost never read the basketball board and now I remember why. This group makes the football gang seem like a big happy family.

Maybe Tulsas will show up over here and spread his joy too.
Nah, over here we don’t trash the coach’s family what don’t have anything to do with his record.

Nobody but Haith's dead sister. [devil]
No one ever disparaged his sister. I’m sure she was a wonderful woman.

A person can, at the same time, believe that his family was nice and that he was wrong to have coached that night in the state he was in. It’s probably partially on Gragg (for not telling him to stay with his family) and partially on Haith’s assistants as well. I just don’t get why we didn’t feel comfortable letting someone else call the shots for one night. Especially against a D2 opponent.

It’s feeling of “why are you even here right now??? go be with your family !!!” Imagine if the guy from Arky State kept coaching directly after his wife’s death...
In the end, he chose to coach when he shouldn’t have and he made a mistake. That’s on him.

As are losses to Lamar, Jacksonville St, ORUx2, UALR x2, A mediocre Pastner coached Memphis team x2,

Last edited:
So from piecing together reports from the game last night. It sounds like we struggled in the first half and played much better in the 2nd half...

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the whole point of exhibition games to knock the rust off before playing a game that matters? It seems that what happened was exactly what you’d want to happen in an exhibition.

Could this team underperform/not meet expectations? Sure. But I don’t think anyone can reasonably make that assertion from one half of one exhibition game.

I’ll be there on Tuesday with 6k screaming 9 year olds to cheer on my favorite basketball team. Hope to see you all there!

I apologize for distracting the point of this thread.

I’m excited for basketball and glad we won by 20 points. I’m really excited about Hill and Rachal from what I’ve read here. I don’t know much about Jones or Ugboh but intrigued by them both.

So from piecing together reports from the game last night. It sounds like we struggled in the first half and played much better in the 2nd half...

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the whole point of exhibition games to knock the rust off before playing a game that matters? It seems that what happened was exactly what you’d want to happen in an exhibition.

Could this team underperform/not meet expectations? Sure. But I don’t think anyone can reasonably make that assertion from one half of one exhibition game.

I’ll be there on Tuesday with 6k screaming 9 year olds to cheer on my favorite basketball team. Hope to see you all there!

Thanks for a ticket BFF

I’m curious how increasing the 3-point arc by more than a foot will effect our 3-point shooting percentage and college basketball’s shooting percentage as a whole.

Logic would tell you it will have a negative effect, especially until teams and players get use to it. Its not only a longer 3-point shot, but the increased distance must be taken into account when setting screens, making cuts, determining spacing and various other factors.

I think it will take some time for teams to work these factors out. The increased distance should open the court more for players like Darien Jackson and others who like to attack the basket. Also, there should be more space inside the arc for mid-range jumpers and pick and roll situations.

This is just some food for thought as the season progresses. It will really be interesting to see how this change plays out

you have devolved....
If you aren't having fun, then take up another hobby...

This. Too many folks flipping over something they have no control over.

Except for that Original guy. Man, he knows basketball. I trust every word he says when it comes to basketball. Even when he hasn't been to a practice. Even when he didn't see last night's exhibition. He just knows.

This. Too many folks flipping over something they have no control over.

Except for that Original guy. Man, he knows basketball. I trust every word he says when it comes to basketball. Even when he hasn't been to a practice. Even when he didn't see last night's exhibition. He just knows.

Just call him nostra-dbag

I’m curious how increasing the 3-point arc by more than a foot will effect our 3-point shooting percentage and college basketball’s shooting percentage as a whole.

Logic would tell you it will have a negative effect, especially until teams and players get use to it. Its not only a longer 3-point shot, but the increased distance must be taken into account when setting screens, making cuts, determining spacing and various other factors.

I think it will take some time for teams to work these factors out. The increased distance should open the court more for players like Darien Jackson and others who like to attack the basket. Also, there should be more space inside the arc for mid-range jumpers and pick and roll situations.

This is just some food for thought as the season progresses. It will really be interesting to see how this change plays out
Some teams seem to have adapted more quickly than others. Wichita State for example went out and recruited some guys that were great shooters and it showed in their exhibition.

I’d prefer to make my judgements after the season, rather than after 1 exhibition game.
1 Exhibition game + 1 Scrimmage against OSU. Both of which we shot poorly in.

We'll see if the team can improve. I'm hopeful but wary. This team has had some serious let downs in the last few years.

1 Exhibition game + 1 Scrimmage against OSU. Both of which we shot poorly in.

We'll see if the team can improve. I'm hopeful but wary. This team has had some serious let downs in the last few years.

The only thing you’re hopeful for is that we lose all our games so you can say “told ya so”

The only thing you’re hopeful for is that we lose all our games so you can say “told ya so”
I'm never hopeful TU will lose games. I hope Haith wins 3 consecutive NCAA tournament championships.

I'm more like a guy in a meeting that says, I really don't think we're making positive choices for the company. That doesn't mean I want the company to fail. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But I haven't been so far.

No one ever disparaged his sister. I’m sure she was a wonderful woman.

A person can, at the same time, believe that his family was nice and that he was wrong to have coached that night in the state he was in. It’s probably partially on Gragg (for not telling him to stay with his family) and partially on Haith’s assistants as well. I just don’t get why we didn’t feel comfortable letting someone else call the shots for one night. Especially against a D2 opponent.

It’s feeling of “why are you even here right now??? go be with your family !!!” Imagine if the guy from Arky State kept coaching directly after his wife’s death...
In the end, he chose to coach when he shouldn’t have and he made a mistake. That’s on him.

As are losses to Lamar, Jacksonville St, ORUx2, UALR x2, A mediocre Pastner coached Memphis team x2,
That was a farcical joke man. I didn't put a purple devil next to it to signify seriousness.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT