ADVERTISEMENT

Rice game thread

It was a heck of a play call... not sure what they are reviewing

So the officials said the contact happened after time ran out. What a crap ending to a game... but a road win for the first time in 2 years

Rice coach should be pissed However really bad end of game coaching

Probably craziest last minute I have seen in years.

So the officials said the contact happened after time ran out. What a crap ending to a game... but a road win for the first time in 2 years
Time to celebrate !!
g3abVHcw_400x400.jpg

This is the worst 60 seconds of basketball I have seen. Poor fundamentals, poor decision-making skills. What the heck was Garcia thinking?

He was thinking that if he doesn't touch the ball, that the guy may get a clean recovery of the ball, and go up to shoot.

Last edited:
He was thinking that if he doesn't touch the ball, that the guy may get a clean look at the ball and go up to shoot.
That was right after thinking I'll just hand the ball off to Haggerty with two people around him.

What were they reviewing at the end? No foul was called and you can’t review for a foul if no ref. called it.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Coaching my friend
The players take a lot of the blame here. Besides, missed free throws would have taken care of this game ending.

Should be .6
Not even close to .6, the ball has to hit the ground.

Horrible coaching
See above.
That was a foul no question
It wasn't even close to a foul, and they didn't call a foul, so in reality it shouldn't be reviewed.
Rice coach should be pissed However really bad end of game coaching
Man I can't believe you want us to lose so bad, when we won the game, and it was called correctly. Rooting for the other coach, come on.

You just want to be mad at the team, coach, program.

Last edited:
Why? To give them extra chances? We can't hit ****ing FTs when they matter most. We're likely to give up a damn offensive rebound. Just awful.
Three things that you DON'T do in basketball
1. Do not pass the ball parallel to the baseline
2. Do not commit silly fouls
3. Never foul a 3-point shooter

Tulsa players play like its AAU summer ball with tons of turnovers...they have a lot of
room for improvement .

Bad coaching. The foul is fine after ball has been in play. No way you foul with clock stopped.
So you can risk fouling the shooter? Lots of coaching mistakes in this one to pick apart. That foul was pretty far down the list.

I think the intentional foul with the three point lead was probably the right call. Rice has great three point shooters and our perimeter defense was not that good last night. The game would have been tied. Fouling before the ball enters is a different thought......some of our kids might have fouled a three point shooter the way they were struggling....... But just making free throws on the other end removes all doubt. Thank goodness for McWright stepping up and hitting every one.

After watching the end a few times. It was definitely a foul but it wasn't called on the floor so the point is moot. Can't review it. With that said. He was fouled by Rice player first anyway and that wasn't called either.

After watching the end a few times. It was definitely a foul but it wasn't called on the floor so the point is moot. Can't review it. With that said. He was fouled by Rice player first anyway and that wasn't called either.
After watching closely, the clock didn’t start when the ball was touched for a good 0.2-0.3 seconds, so if anything the shot and foul (arguable at best) shouldn’t have mattered anyway. But yes there was an uncalled foul on rice before the ball was inbounded.

After watching closely, the clock didn’t start when the ball was touched for a good 0.2-0.3 seconds, so if anything the shot and foul (arguable at best) shouldn’t have mattered anyway. But yes there was an uncalled foul on rice before the ball was inbounded.
Why was there a delay in starting the clock? I noticed that too. Don't they usually have a stop watch to check that? Surely they didn't want to give Rice a full second or two to score. :)

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
What in the world could they possibly be reviewing?
Time left in the clock. That's the only thing they can review. If they called the original foul on the Rice guard holding Garcia, they could review it to determine if it was a hook/hold flagrant 1, but they need to call the foul first before they can review it.

Konkol was ready to explode if they came back with a foul call after the review because it is quite literally not something you can call after a replay if it wasn't originally called on the floor.

Why was there a delay in starting the clock? I noticed that too. Don't they usually have a stop watch to check that? Surely they didn't want to give Rice a full second or two to score. :)
Usually in those situations the clock is the responsibility of one of the ref's on the court. They have a clicker on their belt that they push to start the clock on first contact with the ball. Usually it only gets to the on court officials in the last minute of the game. Game official at the table is still responsible for stopping the clock at the appropriate time after a whistle. Why you see so many replays for time late during close games is there is always a slight delay between the time the whistle is blown and the timer stopping the clock. It's a natural delay.

Rice beats Memphis…..Whoa……The fat lady behind the curtain is starting to clear her throat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT