ADVERTISEMENT

Puerto Rico Tip-off Classic

nevadanatural

I.T.S. University President
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2003
ISU Redbirds are looking pretty tough early. They’re playing a really active zone on D and passing well on the offensive end. Up 10 with under 4 to go in the half.

Illinois St up by 9 over South Carolina at the half.

God I love watching basketball live. You see so much more than you do on TV. Great first game.

I agree! I heavily considered going to this tournament this year but backed out last second after remembering how the last tournament went to Tulsa that I traveled to. It was Las Vegas with Wojcik and "the year we've been waiting for" where Nebraska and Nevada discovered you can just leave Wheatley on an island. *shudder*

I did, however, get slapped by Bruce Howard's wife for being too mean to the refs. She then immediately apologized, we had just met and she said it was her motherly instincts coming in. I had enjoyed a bunch of toddy's that day, celebrating my graduating from TU, and she and I had a good laugh from it afterward. But that interaction with her was the highlight of that trip.

Looks like neither team could make a shot. Sloppy game?

The bits I saw, Illinois St was struggling to score but their defense was really really bothering South Carolina. It is a very active zone and they stretch out past the arch. It wasn't as sloppy as the score would indicate.

In the battle of the fowl the Redbirds take out the Gamecocks. Broncos and Miners up next. ISU plays a very tough zone, we’ll have to hit from deep to loosen it up when we play them either here or later in the season. Their inside guys move well also.

Looks like neither team could make a shot. Sloppy game?
A lot of shots were off the mark but actually it was a well played game. ISU’s zone is tough. SC took almost the entire first half before putting a man at the top of the lane. When they did the started to open that zone up a little.

A lot of shots were off the mark but actually it was a well played game. ISU’s zone is tough. SC took almost the entire first half before putting a man at the top of the lane. When they did the started to open that zone up a little.
We do that naturally with Etou. My guess is (if we get to play them), Etou at the elbow and you throw it in to him and he can kick it out to Scott or Taplin, have Wheeler or someone set a screen for a cutting Jeffries, or he can go up with the jumper. Etou's ability to handle the ball, pass, and shoot makes him a zone buster for us.

We do that naturally with Etou. My guess is (if we get to play them), Etou at the elbow and you throw it in to him and he can kick it out to Scott or Taplin, have Wheeler or someone set a screen for a cutting Jeffries, or he can go up with the jumper. Etou's ability to handle the ball, pass, and shoot makes him a zone buster for us.

This is the first time in a long time that I’m actually kind of happy when our opponents go zone

There’s not a team in this field which scares me. Great chance to win a tourney.

Etou to Jeffries has been great for us so far.*

*When they're not sitting next to each other on the bench in foul trouble.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Etou to Jeffries has been great for us so far.*

*When they're not sitting next to each other on the bench in foul trouble.

This is a perfect example of what Etou will see all season. A quick double because there aren't many guys who can do what he can do as quickly as he can do them. If our guys recognize where the double is coming from, the off the ball movement should create an open shot every time.

Reactions: ctt8410
ISU Cyclones (this ISU stuff can be a little confusing) have the largest fan base at the games so far followed by USC and then the other ISU. I’m thinking the Tulsa/WMU crowd might number in the tens of people.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Because I said this we will go 3/27 from 3 tonight
At half we are 3-11 from 3 lol
And 53% overall. I’ll take that. And the shots from 3 we’re taking, w/ the exception of one Henderson too, have all been legit, open shots we want the shooters taking.

Rebounding has been good and the D in the outside, for the most part, has been pretty good.

That said...WMU misses a lot of open shots as well.

Reactions: loca2874
South Carolina is just destroying UTEP. If they played this well during Illinois State that might have been a different game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT