ADVERTISEMENT

Planning for climate change - which communities will do the best

Science, mathematics, economics, and governments will to act on an issue all have to be considered. You cannot ignore what other governments are not doing and their refusal to change. It would not matter that we bankrupt ourselves, when China and India would kill the success of the effort. You cannot ignore that scientific methods to resolve the problem would put every nation in an economic tailspin for a decade or two, and bankrupt the world economy. You just want to throw it all to the wind & ignore 2 of the 4 major factors in the fight against global warming.
I don't disagree that they all need to be considered and planned for. I don't disagree that China and India (as well as some emerging markets in Southeast Asia and Africa) are the biggest blockers to what needs to be done. The only thing that I'm saying is that, the Science and Mathematics only points to ONE THING which needs to be done and is realistically doable given the considerations for economics and governments. Adapting to a world in which we (humanity) ignore the problem will be much, much, much more burdensome and costly to all societies' economies and all governments than what they're currently being asked.

The real problem is expressing that reality to countries like China and India and have them get with the program. In the end, I don't see any solution presented which will allow humanity to continue for more than a few generations given a disregard (in word or deed) for what our Science says is coming. There hasn't been a presentation of any technology that's economically and scientifically feasible to keep going how we're going and avoid the inevitable results of Climate Change. There has been a framework presented to alter how we're operating (especially in regards to energy generation, transmission, and use) to do so.

In the end, neither effort (Combating Climate Change, or Living with Climate Change) may be feasible given the economic and governmental implications. Countries might be unwilling to cooperate with one effort and the other effort is likely to lead to inevitable global conflicts that will eradicate a large portion of the human population (if weather related events don't start to wither away at that population first)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: URedskin54
Just for reference…UN Report says global emissions must peak no later than 2024 to avoid the all too familiar point of no return. Again…show us how this is going to be accomplished ?
Seems like a good time to go back to my question of a couple of weeks ago.

I don't disagree that they all need to be considered and planned for. I don't disagree that China and India (as well as some emerging markets in Southeast Asia and Africa) are the biggest blockers to what needs to be done. The only thing that I'm saying is that, the Science and Mathematics only points to ONE THING which needs to be done and is realistically doable given the considerations for economics and governments. Adapting to a world in which we (humanity) ignore the problem will be much, much, much more burdensome and costly to all societies' economies and all governments than what they're currently being asked.

The real problem is expressing that reality to countries like China and India and have them get with the program. In the end, I don't see any solution presented which will allow humanity to continue for more than a few generations given a disregard (in word or deed) for what our Science says is coming. There hasn't been a presentation of any technology that's economically and scientifically feasible to keep going how we're going and avoid the inevitable results of Climate Change. There has been a framework presented to alter how we're operating (especially in regards to energy generation, transmission, and use) to do so.

In the end, neither effort (Combating Climate Change, or Living with Climate Change) may be feasible given the economic and governmental implications. Countries might be unwilling to cooperate with one effort and the other effort is likely to lead to inevitable global conflicts that will eradicate a large portion of the human population (if weather related events don't start to wither away at that population first)
No matter what bad choices man makes, he will survive. Their may be a drastic reduction in number, but he will survive. That drastic reduction in number may be what will help him survive. If that does occur, let's hope that drastic reduction in # hits China & India the hardest.

No matter what bad choices man makes, he will survive. Their may be a drastic reduction in number, but he will survive. That drastic reduction in number may be what will help him survive. If that does occur, let's hope that drastic reduction in # hits China & India the hardest.
1stly, I would say that, yes there will be areas of the world that are still habitable, but those areas will be fought over tooth and nail as current rich countries could suffer while other societal areas might become more dominant.

2ndly, I think that China and India feel they're in a good position to fight tooth and nail for those areas. I don't see that as having a good outcome for the US (at least the US as we know it). Even if we do retain habitable lands.

There's a non-zero chance that ultimately it just ends up in nuclear war, because the tension between nations can't be defused. If that happens, I don't know why man would WANT to survive, even if they could.

I would much prefer that a global conflict costing millions, maybe billions of lives wouldn't happen and we could instead convince our neighbors to work with us to achieve a goal (albeit a difficult goal)

Last edited:
Reactions: watu05
Basically we are talking about a vacuum of leadership and ignoring the pressures that poor countries face that are different that the ones we face. The US is the world's second largest polluter on an overall basis and the largest polluter on per capita basis. We are also the wealthiest. If we sit around claiming that we don't have to do anything because the others are not is just throwing in the towel, more cowardice than leadership.

As things get worse, the pressures on our boarders will grow exponentially beyond anything we see now. Add that to the huge internal costs we face just coping domestically. The costs of ignoring climate change will far exceed taking action now.

Sorry bud. I was told we’ve already passed the point of no return

Leadership is not pursuing a course which has no chance of success. That’s foolishness.

Answer my question :) The math and science that complicated

Coming up with reasons to do nothing is easy and goes no where. The water is warm now, and it will get hotter.

Coming up with reasons to do nothing is easy and goes no where. The water is warm now, and it will get hotter.
Taking actions which are guaranteed to fail is far worse than doing nothing as it insures no other options will be implemented. The water will certainly get hotter under this failed approach.

Taking actions which are guaranteed to fail is far worse than doing nothing as it insures no other options will be implemented. The water will certainly get hotter under this failed approach.
Both avenues likely lie in failure though, I would hesitate to say that combating climate change is guaranteed to end in failure. One just has a small chance of preventing a much worse outcome which is likely inevitable with the other option.

Both avenues likely lie in failure though, I would hesitate to say that combating climate change is guaranteed to end in failure. One just has a small chance of preventing a much worse outcome which is likely inevitable with the other option.
Based on science and math the current push is certain to fail. I’m all for clean energy and believe we should be transitioning that direction. It’s the sensible and moral direction. I hate the single strategy of our political leaders believing if the US reduces our emissions then the world will be saved from the tipping point. It won’t and it’s not even close. I want to see other avenues explored and funded. Our climate is going to get warmer and likely wetter in most of the US. Warmer is a certainty. We would be wise to devote time and money in strategies on how best to deal with the same. Sticking out head in the sand about future global emissions will lead to disaster in the US. We won’t be ready.

Doing zip insures one outcome. This was 14 years ago...

climate-change-we-can-believe-in-cartoon.jpg

Is anyone on this board advocating doing “zip”?

Let me put this as simplistic as I possibly can as some are having difficulty grasping the concept. There is a path with a hungry tiger at the end. It is a scientific and mathematical fact that the tiger will eat you when you reach the end of said path. Yet some are still insisting on taking that path. I’m simply advocating looking at other paths. Preferably one without a hungry tiger at the end.

Last edited:
your house is located on a creek. Every time it rains, you see water flowimg through the house, so you build a wall to direct the creek water away from the house.

later you observe watet in the house again, so you modify the wall, but the water keeps flowing.

It turns out, you didnt examine all posibilities and the problem was caused by a different source; a broken water pipe under the house.

Based on science and math the current push is certain to fail. I’m all for clean energy and believe we should be transitioning that direction. It’s the sensible and moral direction. I hate the single strategy of our political leaders believing if the US reduces our emissions then the world will be saved from the tipping point. It won’t and it’s not even close. I want to see other avenues explored and funded. Our climate is going to get warmer and likely wetter in most of the US. Warmer is a certainty. We would be wise to devote time and money in strategies on how best to deal with the same. Sticking out head in the sand about future global emissions will lead to disaster in the US. We won’t be ready.
Dealing with the issues is not a possibility. It will lead to geopolitical issues that we’re only starting to witness with things like Ukraine. Also, the US will get wetter in places that are already wet. Places that are dry will become legitimate deserts. And those include several places that produce many of our food-stuffs.

You are correct that we might miss our target, but the strategy you’re advocating will lead us to blow far beyond that target. The degree to which we miss it is important because it will determine the severity of the issues we have to deal with.

You jest about having blown past repeated warnings from the scientific community and then say that we can’t theoretically hit our targets (which we disagree upon). It’s like someone blowing past sign after sign that says ‘the bridge is out up ahead’ and thinking that the signs didnt have any meaning…. Then when you can actually see the cliff you whine that it’s too late to hit the brakes to prevent yourself from going over the edge… and your only proposed solution is that you might as well think about how to flap your arms to start flying.

Last edited:

A warmer climate does not simply mean a wetter climate in means a redistribution of habitable areas throughout many places in the world which will mean a redistribution of global population as well. What we’re talking about is mass migrations which will lead to borders being arbitrary blockers And it will ultimately result in large scale international conflicts over redistributed resources. We’re talking about famines in certain regions. Flooding in others. We’re talking about places that used to have drinking water fed from mountain runoff losing their access to water. We’re talking about wildfires that detriment air quality as smoke blows from dry vegetated regions to wet ones.

Reactions: watu05
Dealing with the issues is not a possibility. It will lead to geopolitical issues that we’re only starting to witness with things like Ukraine. Also, the US will get wetter in places that are already wet. Places that are dry will become legitimate deserts. And those include several places that produce many of our food-stuffs.

You are correct that we might miss our target, but the strategy you’re advocating will lead us to blow far beyond that target. The degree to which we miss it is important because it will determine the severity of the issues we have to deal with.

You jest about having blown past repeated warnings from the scientific community and then say that we can’t theoretically hit our targets (which we disagree upon). It’s like someone blowing past sign after sign that says ‘the bridge is out up ahead’ and thinking that the signs didnt have any meaning…. Then when you can actually see the cliff you whine that it’s too late to hit the brakes to prevent yourself from going over the edge… and your only proposed solution is that you might as well think about how to flap your arms to start flying.
Fine. Then explain how we are going to succeed in global emissions peaking in 2024? Again, the current path will not prevent us from surging past the drop dead numbers. China and India simply don’t care. China started construction of 33GW of coal fired plants last year alone. Better come up with plan B. Plan A is dead.

how do we limit emittions from the volcanos thst emit 1000 times more than industry or autos
Get your facts straight and quit quoting facebook memes. Human causes at a minimum, are 100 times average volcanic eruptions. That translates mathematically to 1% or less of co2 emissions caused by volcanoes, in comparison to human causes.

Popular Science does a good job of explaining why we need to hit carbon goals. They by start with the question “Are we screwed?”

It is also a reminder of how much time we have wasted denying reality.

if we totally quit using fossel fuels, what will the microorganisms that feed on it do. Where will the turn for their food. it becomes "the attack of the killer tomatos"

if we totally quit using fossel fuels, what will the microorganisms that feed on it do. Where will the turn for their food. it becomes "the attack of the killer tomatos"
Stupid question. If we don't quit using fossil fuel, we will run out of fossil fuel. If we quit using fossil fuel there will still be oil in the ground for them to feed on. You act as if there is an endless supply in the ground, and if we quit using that supply then it will dry up? If we used up all of the oil, then there would be less of those microorganisms due to lack of food. They wouldn't die, they just wouldn't produce as many microorganisms.

Looks like the EU found an answer to energy generation which complies with green energy.

Europe sullies itself, not all dressed in white as the Ukraine war wears on.

Popular Science does a good job of explaining why we need to hit carbon goals. They by start with the question “Are we screwed?”

It is also a reminder of how much time we have wasted denying reality.
The latest gasser is the opposition to ESG investing as if it were some sort of political statement (the latest misrepresentation following CRT) instead of a way a picking economic winners by investors. Given this mind set it's hard not to think that "yes, we are screwed."

The latest gasser is the opposition to ESG investing as if it were some sort of political statement (the latest misrepresentation following CRT) instead of a way a picking economic winners by investors. Given this mind set it's hard not to think that "yes, we are screwed."
ESG investing is ok if the FED isnt making it a part of lending policy.. but, when the Central Bank uses it as leverage on loans to financial institutions, it becomes a problem.

Speaking of gassers.. i understand that BHO is installing massive commercial propane tanks at his Marthas Vineyard estate to run all his outdoor heaters, tiki torches, fire pits, etc... gotta make sure all those elites are comfy at those environmental fundraisers.

ESG investing is ok if the FED isnt making it a part of lending policy.. but, when the Central Bank uses it as leverage on loans to financial institutions, it becomes a problem.

Speaking of gassers.. i understand that BHO is installing massive commercial propane tanks at his Marthas Vineyard estate to run all his outdoor heaters, tiki torches, fire pits, etc... gotta make sure all those elites are comfy at those environmental fundraisers.

Representing ESG investing this way is just misrepresentation. The carbon based energy industry is just doing a CRT style bashing to prevent the possibility of disclosing its impact on the environment. Heaven forbid.

• Haha
Reactions: URedskin54
China and India are laughing at our naivety as they continue to expand their coal production.

Reactions: noble cane
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT