ADVERTISEMENT

Planning for climate change - which communities will do the best

We are being lectured about to follow the science about CC, by the same people who said
masks would reduce transmission; cdc now says not true,
Getting a covid shot would protect you from getting covid; they are now considering a fifth shot.
ignore scientific dna on sex,

We are being lectured about to follow the science about CC, by the same people who said
masks would reduce transmission; cdc now says not true,
Getting a covid shot would protect you from getting covid; they are now considering a fifth shot.
ignore scientific dna on sex,
Better to listen to people who tell you to ingest bleach.

one group was suppose to be the experts the other was just an uninformed person. both were wrong.
Your uninformed idiot President was more than an uninformed person. He was the highest official in the country.

Oh….I remember the cries blaming the lack of Covid tests for the pandemic. Could have been prevented if only testing was available. Then the virus was spreading because people weren’t wearing their masks. We need to ventilate early but lack sufficient numbers to only ventilate as a last resort….and on and on. Sadly no one ever admits…I was dead wrong.

Oh….I remember the cries blaming the lack of Covid tests for the pandemic. Could have been prevented if only testing was available. Then the virus was spreading because people weren’t wearing their masks. We need to ventilate early but lack sufficient numbers to only ventilate as a last resort….and on and on. Sadly no one ever admits…I was dead wrong.
And the people who said in effect “just let it kill off whoever it needs to“ get to feel like they were right… even though they weren’t.

Reactions: watu05
And the people who said in effect “just let it kill off whoever it needs to“ get to feel like they were right… even though they weren’t.
I don’t recall anyone trying to prevent third parties from taking Covid tests, wearing masks, or going on vents….but ok. There are obviously people who argued that testing and mask mandates weren’t the answer in stopping the spread…who were proven largely correct. Officials are going to be wrong. The lack of accountability afterwards is the troubling aspect. Even if it’s only acknowledging the mistakes.

I don’t recall anyone trying to prevent third parties from taking Covid tests, wearing masks, or going on vents….but ok. There are obviously people who argued that testing and mask mandates weren’t the answer in stopping the spread…who were proven largely correct. Officials are going to be wrong. The lack of accountability afterwards is the troubling aspect. Even if it’s only acknowledging the mistakes.
I saw a man late in his prime(late 40's) getting in the face of a woman in her mid to late sixties, in Tulsa for wearing a mask. It happens, and it probably happened a lot more in small towns. I told him to get the heck away from her, and leave her alone. It started when he infringed on her 6 ft of space, and she politely asked him to step back. He then was six inches from her face and yelling. This was in the first couple of months of covid.

I saw a man late in his prime(late 40's) getting in the face of a woman in her mid to late sixties, in Tulsa for wearing a mask. It happens, and it probably happened a lot more in small towns. I told him to get the heck away from her, and leave her alone. It started when he infringed on her 6 ft of space, and she politely asked him to step back. He then was six inches from her face and yelling. This was in the first couple of months of covid.
Never saw anything like that but I’m sure it occurred. Obviously saw a lot of people yelling at people for not wearing them. Yelling is obviously different than attempting to force people not to wear a mask. I never will understand why people object to other people doing things which doesn’t adversely affect them…ala gay marriage, etc..

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
The public health establishment pretty unanimously said protesting police was urgent enough to completely ignore Covid public health risks at the same time they were banning people from visiting dying relatives in the hospital, holding funerals, and practicing their religions. Any and all distrust, non-compliance, conspiracy theories, or general dumb behavior lies squarely at their feet for torching public trust.

Not my point. In mass pandemics, it takes more than just the actions of one person to maintain public health. Will some things be overkill? Absolutely. But caution in the face of pestilence is not ever a bad idea.

People that threw caution to the wind out of arrogance or out of stubbornness or stupidity showed that they did not care for their fellow citizen, and not only that they didn't care, but on occasion that they had downright malice for their fellow man.

Also, we saw a rapidly changing illness where some mitigation measures that could have been effective at a certain point in the contagion became less so due to increased transmissivity. There were many variables and reducing arguments to "masks didn't work" neglects to account for things like places that refused to use masks and became hotbeds for the diseases' mutation. Also, it's a dangerous point to make if it deters people from trying masks in the future which could be beneficial for a different illness.

Reactions: watu05 and TU 1978
People that threw caution to the wind out of arrogance or out of stubbornness or stupidity showed that they did not care for their fellow citizen, and not only that they didn't care, but on occasion that they had downright malice for their fellow man.

Also, we saw a rapidly changing illness where some mitigation measures that could have been effective at a certain point in the contagion became less so due to increased transmissivity.

Largest real world study I’ve seen for those sheep who still believe masks were effective in significantly reducing Covid spread. In fact, mask may have even been detrimental.

Largest real world study I’ve seen for those sheep who still believe masks were effective in significantly reducing Covid spread. In fact, mask may have even been detrimental.

follow the science!

Actually our entire food supply is affected by the drying up of the Colorado and ground water depletion in California and Arizona.

What the Colorado River Water Shortage Means for the U.S.

Let me see if I understand the situation:

1) The desert is dry
2) Water is scarce in dry places
3) Climate change is making the desert even drier
4) Millions of people live in these deserts and that number continues to grow
5) We grow crops in these deserts
6) People and agriculture need water
7) The world will continue to emit CO2 for the foreseeable future

My uneducated and often repeated conclusion: We better start spending resources to deal with the changing climate. You either figure out a way to get water to the desert (not very realistic imo) or move agriculture to areas say.......not in the desert. In addition, the millions of people who have moved to the desert in the last 40 years might need to consider moving to where there is water and food.

Let's see what Sam thinks about the situation:

Climate change, pollution of water supplies, misuse of ground water on low value added crops have all been documented for decades as leading to what is politely called 'food insecurity' across the globe. Take out large swaths of the most productive agricultural land in California and Arizona, and food prices go through the roof. Those areas were productive because of over use of the Colorado and ground water.
Like climate change this outcome was well documented and widely predicted. But the political reality is driven by short term thinking. Farmers who have been on the last for over a century, fast growing, large urban areas like Phoenix, or new cities like St. George, UT all have short term reasons to pretend it's not happening. Now that hard decisions can no longer be ignored, the choices will expensive, painful and ugly.

No doubt the transition to new agricultural areas and new living areas won’t be easy. Moving agriculture will be costly. Which is why resources need to be set aside for dealing with the consequences of climate change. Politicians can either start the process now or wait until there is no more water and it’s too late to transition. Millions upon millions of people live in a desert and are continuing to move to the same. Huge agricultural facilities are located in a desert. The results now are inevitable.

follow the science!
The science is that masks work. It's people who don't. The results of this study are driven by how humans actually do or don't use them. Two very different things.
The current CDC policy about Covid is another example. Had a positive test with mild symptoms? OK, isolate for 5 days, do not test again, wear a mask for a while and ta da...do whatever you want. That's not based on the science, it's the CDC recommending what they think they can get people to do. Meanwhile the head of the CDC just threw the organizaiton under the bus for poor results...and she was the head of it?

The science is that masks work. It's people who don't. The results of this study are driven by how humans actually do or don't use them. Two very different things.
The current CDC policy about Covid is another example. Had a positive test with mild symptoms? OK, isolate for 5 days, do not test again, wear a mask for a while and ta da...do whatever you want. That's not based on the science, it's the CDC recommending what they think they can get people to do. Meanwhile the head of the CDC just threw the organizaiton under the bus for poor results...and she was the head of it?
Masks work in a laboratory under clinical conditions. Masks don’t work in real world conditions with normal humans. Which of those statements is applicable to the ability of masks in society to significantly slow the spread of Covid?

Can we agree with the following ?

1). Masks work in a laboratory under clinical conditions
2). Masks don’t significantly work in the real world

Masks work in a laboratory under clinical conditions. Masks don’t work in real world conditions with normal humans. Which of those statements is applicable to the ability of masks in society to significantly slow the spread of Covid?

Can we agree with the following ?

1). Masks work in a laboratory under clinical conditions
2). Masks don’t significantly work in the real world
I think Masks didn't work in the real world because people refused to wear them or weren't as vigilant as they should have been... possibly because they kept being fed lines about how masks don't work. It's a vicious cycle.

I think Masks didn't work in the real world because people refused to wear them or weren't as vigilant as they should have been... possibly because they kept being fed lines about how masks don't work. It's a vicious cycle.
Well….the largest study done and the one I last linked was from Europe. Let’s not pretend this was an American anomaly. The data was almost identical in Europe. In fact, might have been a bit worse for the mask bros.

Following up on our conversation yesterday, this is perfect timing. Question: California has outlawed gas powered cars after 2035. How is its power grid going to be able to handle the additional millions of EV charging during heat waves?

get a shot. get a second shot. get a booster. its tha pandemic of the unvaccinated. states padded there stats so the could get more federal funds.

Following up on our conversation yesterday, this is perfect timing. Question: California has outlawed gas powered cars after 2035. How is its power grid going to be able to handle the additional millions of EV charging during heat waves?

2035 is quite a long time to build new infrastructure. There’s a lot going on in the electrical industry right now that is aimed at preparing for this inevitability. Constructing renewables in varying areas with different seasonal wind and solar regimes, constructing additional transmission, constructing energy storage facilities….

Also, during heatwaves some vehicles might be able to be used as micro storage cells for the grid itself.

2035 is quite a long time to build new infrastructure. There’s a lot going on in the electrical industry right now that is aimed at preparing for this inevitability. Constructing renewables in varying areas with different seasonal wind and solar regimes, constructing additional transmission, constructing energy storage facilities….

Also, during heatwaves some vehicles might be able to be used as micro storage cells for the grid itself.
2035 is the deadline and not when all these EVs all a sudden hit the power grid. You will see millions of EVs coming online in California in the next 5-7 years due to the coming state law. California’s power issues today are worse than they were ten years ago without the addition of the coming new demand. I’ve seen little to indicate the state will be ready as they can’t handle current demand. Reminds me of parts of Europe who dictated the switch to green energy before the infrastructure was in place to handle to same. I wish them the best. They’re going to need it.

2035 is the deadline and not when all these EVs all a sudden hit the power grid. You will see millions of EVs coming online in California in the next 5-7 years due to the coming state law. California’s power issues today are worse than they were ten years ago without the addition of the coming new demand. I’ve seen little to indicate the state will be ready as they can’t handle current demand. Reminds me of parts of Europe who dictated the switch to green energy before the infrastructure was in place to handle to same. I wish them the best. They’re going to need it.
I don’t think they’re having quite the issues you think they are. Increased demand will mean more work for the power companies. Instead of people’s money going towards funding the cost of oil wells, it will go toward funding the cost of solar panels, windmills, nuclear stations, carbon capture transitions, etc…

Last edited:
I don’t think they’re having quite the issues you think they are. Increased demand will mean more work for the power companies. Instead of people’s money going towards funding the cost of oil wells, it will go toward funding the cost of solar panels, windmills, nuclear stations, etc…
California ISO is asking people to turn thermostats up to 78, avoid using large appliance and charging ELECTRIC VEHICLES.

I don’t think they’re having quite the issues you think they are. Increased demand will mean more work for the power companies. Instead of people’s money going towards funding the cost of oil wells, it will go toward funding the cost of solar panels, windmills, nuclear stations, carbon capture transitions, etc…
I'll believe that when I see it.

California ISO is asking people to turn thermostats up to 78, avoid using large appliance and charging ELECTRIC VEHICLES.
Cool? That has nothing to do with my point, which is that electric generation capacity is set to increase at a high pace in the next few years alongside the use of EV’s. Utilities aren’t in the business of creating vast amounts of spare capacity that won’t be used, unless your utility commissions deem that a prudent investment.

Cool? That has nothing to do with my point, which is that electric generation capacity is set to increase at a high pace in the next few years alongside the use of EV’s. Utilities aren’t in the business of creating vast amounts of spare capacity that won’t be used, unless your utility commissions deem that a prudent investment.
California hasn’t apparently created sufficient capacity to meet current demands though. This isn’t a new crisis but one which has been occurring for years in that state. I’m glad you believe they will now do a 180 and drastically increase capacity. Based on past experience, I have my doubts

California hasn’t apparently created sufficient capacity to meet current demands though. This isn’t a new crisis but one which has been occurring for years in that state. I’m glad you believe they will now do a 180 and drastically increase capacity. Based on past experience, I have my doubts
They have the capacity to meet the vast majority of demand on any given day. There are occasional events that exceed capacity and there always will be unless you want to spend a bunch of money on generation facilities that are only used once a year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT