ADVERTISEMENT

Planning for climate change - which communities will do the best

It’s just the old CSR re-imagined and formalized to allow activists to apply maximum pressure. Just painting targets

Reactions: noble cane
Representing ESG investing this way is just misrepresentation. The carbon based energy industry is just doing a CRT style bashing to prevent the possibility of disclosing its impact on the environment. Heaven forbid.
Nice sidestep... not a denial of FED policy, however.

So Haïti and Sri Lanka (which is in the middle of a civil war) are the two economies with high ESG ratings that prove ESG considerations lead to famine? Those are both agrarian economies with failed governments in either near or total collapse. Whatever ESG rating this article claims was applied long long after these woes developed and has zippo to do with ESG investing. An example of the US carbon energy industry trying to scare people to avoid releasing information about their effects on the environment and society?

the infrastructure bill allocated millions to build recharging stations. how many gas stations did the gov build.

not a function of the gov. this should be done by private corp,

Weird certain people never post about record cold temps but always post about record heat.
the earth is not static. A one hundred year sample of tempertures is a very small sample for a planet millions of years old. like forcasting the outcome of a football game based on the lickoff return.

it is climate change. its natural and its been happening for millions of years. follow the science.

We can only hope this heat wave will shock the Chinese and Indian governments to change their modus operandi. I doubt that happens. They have had records broken as well. Parts of India have reached almost 124 F.

China will look back to 18 months ago when they were experiencing record cold to justify their current path.

Weird certain people never post about record cold temps but always post about record heat.

China will look back to 18 months ago when they were experiencing record cold to justify their current path.

That's not how it works. Even the Chinese scientists know this. Whether the political leaders care is the issue. They play the long game on most issues. It is odd that they don't on climate change.

Is your argument that we should emulate them?
Do I think we should go on a coal frenzy….no. Do I think we should take measures to become energy independent….absolutely. Do I believe energy is a national security issue…yes. China doesn’t do anything of the magnitude we’re seeing with their energy programs without careful consideration and a long term plan. We should ask ourselves, under what circumstances is energy independence vital? The answer to that question should raise alarms as it relates to China. We would be wise to take steps with this in mind.

This should also be confirmation that China is in no way committed to climate goals. A fact some
of us have known all along.

China and the US are in different situations. As some point, however, people are going to realize they can either sit around like toads in warm water or someone or some country will exert leadership in actually doing something. Right now the US as the richest country that holds itself out as the ideal of good governance and morality would be the nation most expect to provide that leadership. If not, eventually someone else will or it will devolve into nationalistic chaos.

If we think we have an immigration problem now, just wait until the countries in the south become uninhabitable whole populations migrate north.

Given my age I'll likely be fine during my life, but I do have kids and they are and going to have to deal with this load crap that we are leaving them.

China and the US are in different situations.
Wrong. We are in the same situation as we live in the same world. What China does directly affects the US. The US can go bankrupt converting to green energy and as long as China, India, etc… proceed on their expansion of fossil fuel energy it simply won’t matter. World emissions will continue to increase. You can continue to stick your head in the sand if you wish. The water that toad is in will continue to warm. We better figure out a way to get the toad out of that pot. China is showing they are content in continuing to turn that knob up.

Why is this so hard for some on the left to understand ?

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
We've supposedly got 11 years left, and I believe the science is finally right on this deadline. China & India will do it when when the major effects are staring them right in the face, and it is no longer feasible to worry only about energy independence. It will be when they face serious consequences that hurt the country in a devastating way unless they make changes. That much is obvious to anybody rationally analyzing their governments actions right now.

If we are lucky, that will occur in 10 or 15 years, when they wake up. The science says that is when you have seriously gone way beyond the point of no return. That's probably when science will make it way more feasible to be energy independent and make changes. But 10 or 15 years down the line is too late.

No matter what we do as 'good governance', the Chinese will never bow to our example, they will only bow to the weather giving them no choice. That once again will be too late. And Democrats are oblivious to the costs and the effects it will have on our economy to carry out their plans. They live in la la land saying plans like this Green New Deal will pay for itself. It wouldn't even pretend to do as such. It would likely bring on a depression that would make 1929 look like child's play.

I'm going to stop posting on this, because other parties keep dropping the same lines, and ignoring the consequences if those lines were heeded by our government. Flinging ideas and completely ignoring the other sides ideas is about as much fun as having monkeys flinging dung at you, and equally profitable.

Reactions: lawpoke87
We've supposedly got 11 years left, and I believe the science is finally right on this deadline. China & India will do it when when the major effects are staring them right in the face, and it is no longer feasible to worry only about energy independence. It will be when they face serious consequences that hurt the country in a devastating way unless they make changes. That much is obvious to anybody rationally analyzing their governments actions right now.

If we are lucky, that will occur in 10 or 15 years, when they wake up. The science says that is when you have seriously gone way beyond the point of no return. That's probably when science will make it way more feasible to be energy independent and make changes. But 10 or 15 years down the line is too late.

No matter what we do as 'good governance', the Chinese will never bow to our example, they will only bow to the weather giving them no choice. That once again will be too late. And Democrats are oblivious to the costs and the effects it will have on our economy to carry out their plans. They live in la la land saying plans like this Green New Deal will pay for itself. It wouldn't even pretend to do as such. It would likely bring on a depression that would make 1929 look like child's play.

I'm going to stop posting on this, because other parties keep dropping the same lines, and ignoring the consequences if those lines were heeded by our government. Flinging ideas and completely ignoring the other sides ideas is about as much fun as having monkeys flinging dung at you, and equally profitable.
but we need a plan. shuttimg down our domestic oil production, and eliminating gas stoves is not a plan

Do I think we should go on a coal frenzy….no. Do I think we should take measures to become energy independent….absolutely. Do I believe energy is a national security issue…yes. China doesn’t do anything of the magnitude we’re seeing with their energy programs without careful consideration and a long term plan. We should ask ourselves, under what circumstances is energy independence vital? The answer to that question should raise alarms as it relates to China. We would be wise to take steps with this in mind.

This should also be confirmation that China is in no way committed to climate goals. A fact some
of us have known all along.
Do you believe Climate Change is a threat that could ultimately transform into a national security issue (or a domestic prosperity issue) as great or greater than that of foreign energy dependency?

The only thing I tend to disagree with is that we a) shouldn't do our damnest to force China's hand and that b) Dems - at least some of them - don't realize the macroscopic societal cost of the programs they are proposing. I think they are looking farther ahead than you and seeing the ultimate cost of keeping on with the status quo and saying that it's much larger than being proactive. The do understand that 'being proactive' or the 'green new deal' is a very simple term describing a very expensive undertaking.

It's kind of like seeing that your engine is smoking and taking it in for a costly repair before the whole engine ceases.

O
Do you believe Climate Change is a threat that could ultimately transform into a national security issue (or a domestic prosperity issue) as great or greater than that of foreign energy dependency?
I believe that is certainly a possibility. One we have control over (energy dependence). The other (climate change) we have practically no control over. I’m not advocating against renewables for the record. I’m advocating a reasonable transition which doesn’t harm us economically or from a national security standpoint

Biden has tasked the OMB to guage the costs of dealing with climate change. At least a start. Is the image of a seized engine a bit misleading? You can always buy another engine.

his plan is like the programming world. The manager tells his team to start coding while he goes to see the customer and find out what he wants.

Biden has tasked the OMB to guage the costs of dealing with climate change. At least a start. Is the image of a seized engine a bit misleading? You can always buy another engine.

I suspect this calculation will ignore the pressure on our borders from the migration of entire populations away from uninhabitable countries and the effects on our food chain. But at least there is an effort to quantify the issue.

ie Nancy Pelosi on Obamacare. "we need to pass this bill, so we can read whats in it"
You even misquoted the partial quote, “We have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.”

its hot this year. "How hot is it?"

according to dallas tv channel wfaa, lets see.

year. average temp. days above 100
1980. 89.1. 29
1998. 87.5. 21
2011. 88.2. 22
2022. 87.6. 21

so for the past 42 years there have only been 4 really hot summers, and 38 yeas of normal heat. the weather pattern appears to be just normal cyclical and the extreme temps dont appear to be increasing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT