ADVERTISEMENT

Payne Goes Pro

cbonham

I.T.S. Defensive Coordinator
Apr 23, 2004
Not a big surprise.

On a side note, Payne is the first player I can ever recall talking to from my post at the scorer's table for something other than a "who you going in for" question. He was standing up from the bench during several plays late in the game (after he fouled out) and obstructing our view. I told him he needed to sit down. He didn't like that too much and asked me why in a condescending tone. My spotter informed him that he could give his team a technical foul (which is true if you do it after being warned). He sat down, but not without giving us a pretty dirty look in the process. Great player. Not so much a fan of his in-game demeanor.

cb

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25138099/murray-state-guard-cam-payne-declares-for-nba-draft

I was on him too and he also gave me a dirty look. He's the Hassan Whiteside of guards. Lots of talent but middle school attitude. He earned a couple of techs in that game.

Won't take long for some NBA veteran to smack that cocky snarl off his face. Guys like that usually have to learn the hard way.

cb

Speaking of Whiteside, it took him 4 years before he became anything in the NBA. So some NBA team paid him to essentially finish out his college development. He also developed because he was essentially forced to by Miami's lack of bigs and Bosh's injury. He's done a decent job but he still has a ways to go before he is a true impact player.

Payne would learn well from Whiteside's progress and development. People may tell you you have NBA talent...doesn't mean you're going to get minutes or play or have an impact and sometimes that is more detrimental to the player than playing 2-3 more years of college.

Not a fair comparison. Artest has a legit disorder that wasn't identified until several years into his pro career. Payne seems like a straight up punk.

cb

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT