ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Birt

lawpoke87

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2002
Playing live right now in the Juco tourney. Link is in South Plains facebook page. South Plains up 6 nearing halftime.

Spight has 22 for South Plains at half. Anyone know if he a D1 guy?

Thanks. He's been the best player in the floor thus far. Birt had a solid half. He looks better on the catch and shoot. Struggled a bit with his handle and getting his own shot.

South Plains wins 80-68 and plays top ranked Connors St tomorrow. Birt scores 6 on 2-8 shooting. He did have 4 assists. Spight finishes with 33 and Ogobo has a double double with 20 and 14.

Does not seem Birt is our answer. We need to continue to recruit over several of our bench players.

Here's the good part...Birt has D1 experience....he's playing at a top JUCO, playing in the tourney and he's playing verse top athletes...shouldn't be scared and should fill a need...shooter with quick and natural release...but yes, he has holes, we are not getting a duke transfer

Correction. South Plains will play Connors State Thursday at noon. Game will be shown live online.

Signed by our friend at UTEP but did not make UTEP academic standards and they placed him at South Plains. Talking about Speight.
This post was edited on 3/17 9:36 PM by I.I.

Birt is a catch and shoot player. We need a guy that can catch-and-shoot, and also defend on the other end. Birt is athletic enough to play on both ends. Right now, the reason we aren't seeing kids that can shoot a little on our bench... Is because they can't guard NAIA players.

Well on a positive note 2/5 from 3 point range is better than anyone we have now! I am not going to bash a player or the coaches until I see him play in person for the University of Tulsa.

I coached Arlando Cook who is a freshmen and Connors State. He has grown a few more inches and is now around 6'-9" and is developing into a very good player. He will be a very good D1 player that could help Tulsa. I would be taking a look at him!

Birt looked good in first half. Leading scorer in game with 11 pts, 3-4 3-pointers. Tied for team lead with 4 rebounds. SP leads #1 Connors State by 9.

Turned the game on for a couple of minutes and watched him go 0-4 from three. Turned it back off. Must be me....

Better game today for Pat. Finished 6-13 from the field including 4-7 from deep for a team high 16 points.

If he came in and shot 3-6 or 4-8 from 3 in the majority of games he came off the bench for us next year I's be really happy
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Plays in semifinals today at 6:00 p.m. Leading scorer with 4-7 from three yesterday against the Nation's # 1 team.

Tough first half for Birt. 1-5 fg 2 boards, 2 TOs, 2 fouls

South Plains down 2 at half

spight never throws it to Birt. Birt stands and waits for a pass. JUCO attitudes are weird. Not much teamwork. 69-67 with 5 minutes to go. Birt still shooting blanks but keeps shooting.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

South Plains lost the championship by 3 in OT . Birt hardly played any tonight and announcer said he didn't shoot but I haven't seen the stats. They did put him in for the last shot down three but he never touched the ball land someone else shot an off balance three.

Odd that he played 22-23 minutes in most games but less
Than 5 in both championship games.

There is tremendous shooting at this level but no defense whatsoever. I see how Nolan's press would have won it all in 1980.

Birt is still a real question mark at this point. Will he shoot better in D-1 games than Rep? Can he play defense? And will he play hard?

Hopefully yes to all three.

Originally posted by lawpoke87:
He was 0-2 both from 3. Didn't score.
The box now says 0-4 from the field and 0-2 from three in 7 minutes of playing time. Not very impressive............. The thing that bothered me most in the tournament was his just standing around on offense and defense. The opposite of Shaq Harrison and Woodard. Maybe that will change. I don't think his teammates or his coaches will let him relax at TU.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT