ADVERTISEMENT

OSU

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Does anyone think Gundy is trying to get fired? Listening to portions of his Monday press conference and he just sounds like he is tired of coaching in Stillwater. I think he originally wanted to stick it out for his kid being there but honestly, he sounds 100% burned out.

Does anyone think Gundy is trying to get fired? Listening to portions of his Monday press conference and he just sounds like he is tired of coaching in Stillwater. I think he originally wanted to stick it out for his kid being there but honestly, he sounds 100% burned out.
Sounded like an arrogant prick who knows there’s no one around to hold his feet to the fire to me. Say what you want about Holder and Boone, they had the power to force him to make changes when changes were necessary. Mike has consistently won at a rate and duration few coaches have matched. Some of his arrogance is warranted I suppose. However, left to his own devices he will fail. This isn’t going to end well

Sounded like an arrogant prick who knows there’s no one around to hold his feet to the fire to me. Say what you want about Holder and Boone, they had the power to force him to make changes when changes were necessary. Mike has consistently won at a rate and duration few coaches have matched. Some of his arrogance is warranted I suppose. However, left to his own devices he will fail. This isn’t going to end well
Agreed. He's extremely arrogant and I think he knows they won't buy him out. I fully expect them to hit rock bottom this season, even lower than they are now.

Agreed. He's extremely arrogant and I think he knows they won't buy him out. I fully expect them to hit rock bottom this season, even lower than they are now.
Someone posted that some betting site only has them favored in 2 games the remainder of the season. Seriously, 114 total passing yards between the 3 QBs? Against South Alabama? That's pretty pathetic.

Someone posted that some betting site only has them favored in 2 games the remainder of the season. Seriously, 114 total passing yards between the 3 QBs? Against South Alabama? That's pretty pathetic.
Playing 3 QBs every game is part of the problem. If OSO loses this Saturday at Iowa State they will be lucky to win two more games this season. OSU has been to 17 consecutive bowl games. To say that streak is in jeopardy is an understatement.

Reactions: drboobay
OSU has a weak conference schedule that includes all 4 of the newbies and no Texas. I wouldn’t be surprised at another bowl game, even considering they aren’t very good.

Playing 3 QBs every game is part of the problem. If OSO loses this Saturday at Iowa State they will be lucky to win two more games this season. OSU has been to 17 consecutive bowl games. To say that streak is in jeopardy is an understatement.
Playing multiple QBs has become a function of unrestricted free agency. You want to try and keep them all happy. Heck, OU is out there running Malzahn two QB plays like a G5 team or a 3A Texas high school team with no time outs in the playoff.

They dress it up as forcing the DCs of the other teams to chase ghosts and prepare for more than one QB, but that’s not what it is about. Though I suspect in the case of TU, we have been trying a little too much to get cute and force teams to prepare for both Roman and Cardi who are two totally different styles.

Agree he sounded arrogant but for other reasons. Gundy has a lot of faults, but it’s undeniable he is a savant when it comes to football. Especially the football he knows best and focuses on. He might be the best pure football mind in college football. But there’s more to it than that when it comes to winning.

He sounded to me like someone who sees OSU go up and down in talent. He has rebuilding years every 4-5 years. He can see what he has won’t get it done but with the portal now, he is out of excuses saying it’s the program or the rules. And maybe a little frustrated that he knows the place is Top 10 caliber but the overall expectations of the fan base is beyond its resources.

So the arrogance was more “If you knew as much about football as me, I wouldn’t have to deal with this.” Which in some ways is true.

He’s the best OSU has ever had and may ever have. But the ups and downs of the last 15 years, whether it’s him or the program to blame or both, means he really isn’t a serious candidate for any other job. He flirted once too much with other jobs and now nobody wants him. And there’s a body of work out there that says if you hire him you risk a couple of 7 or 8 win seasons, or worse, for his Top 10 building projects. And the off field headlines with him and his brother means going anywhere with a chance to win the national championship is pretty much impossible. At least right now. He thinks he should be coaching someplace better under the old rules. But the rules have changed and nobody with a caliber program he thinks he deserves would trust him with his inconsistency.

He’s like most 57 year old white men in this country. He can see retirement up ahead, he didn’t accomplish everything he felt he could or was entitled to in his career, his long time boss retired 3 years ago and he has no idea who these new people really are, time is running out on life and he can’t get hired elsewhere at his age, so he’s decided the world has given him a raw deal.

Last edited:
Agree he sounded arrogant but for other reasons. Gundy has a lot of faults, but it’s undeniable he is a savant when it comes to football. Especially the football he knows best and focuses on. He might be the best pure football mind in college football. But there’s more to it than that when it comes to winning.

He sounded to me like someone who sees OSU go up and down in talent. He has rebuilding years every 4-5 years. He can see what he has won’t get it done but with the portal now, he is out of excuses saying it’s the program or the rules. And maybe a little frustrated that he knows the place is Top 10 caliber but the overall expectations of the fan base is beyond its resources.

So he’s stuck. He’s the best OSU has ever had and may ever have. But the ups and downs of the last 15 years, whether it’s him or the program to blame or both, means he really isn’t a serious candidate for any other job. He flirted once too much with other jobs and now nobody wants him. And there’s a body of work out there that says if you hire him you risk a couple of 7 or 8 win seasons, or worse, for his Top 10 building projects. And the off field headlines with him and his brother means going anywhere with a chance to win the national championship is pretty much impossible. At least right now. He thinks he should be coaching someplace better under the old rules. But the rules have changed and nobody with a caliber program he thinks he deserves would trust him with his inconsistency.

He’s like most 57 year old white men in this country. He can see retirement up ahead, he didn’t accomplish everything he felt he could or was entitled to in his career, his long time boss retired 3 years ago and he has no idea who these new people really are, and he’s decided the world has given him a raw deal.
Disagree a bit. There are few programs other than a few blue bloods who have won more consistently over the past 15 plus years than OSU under Gundy. In fact, OSU is tied for 10th for the most wins in college football over the past ten years. The problem as I alluded to above is there no one left to check his arrogance. Tell him he’s wrong and needs to make changes. Only a lot of “yes” men. When you have Gundy’s personality that environment rarely turns out well.

If we were trying to be cute swapping QB's, and I think we were, the staff came away with egg all over their faces at best. OU really just ripped the head off and crapped straight down their throat. I hope for a speedy return of Braylin and we can get settled into a rhythm because what we saw last week was nothing short of a disaster.

If we were trying to be cute swapping QB's, and I think we were, the staff came away with egg all over their faces at best. OU really just ripped the head off and crapped straight down their throat. I hope for a speedy return of Braylin and we can get settled into a rhythm because what we saw last week was nothing short of a disaster.
Fuller played decent at washington, so I think the staff was hopeful he was able to continue that and Cardell would be able to rest some more. Clearly, Fuller crapped the bed and it snowballed on him quickly, putting the defense in a terrible situation right off the bar. I don't think we'll see much of Fuller anymore.

Disagree a bit. There are few programs other than a few blue bloods who have won more consistently over the past 15 plus years than OSU under Gundy. In fact, OSU is tied for 10th for the most wins in college football over the past ten years. The problem as I alluded to above is there no one left to check his arrogance. Tell him he’s wrong and needs to make changes. Only a lot of “yes” men. When you have Gundy’s personality that environment rarely turns out well.
No argument with me there. Though what the SEC judges him on is record versus Top 10, not Top 25 or overall. And he is viewed by others than me as mediocre in that category.

Fuller played decent at washington, so I think the staff was hopeful he was able to continue that and Cardell would be able to rest some more. Clearly, Fuller crapped the bed and it snowballed on him quickly, putting the defense in a terrible situation right off the bar. I don't think we'll see much of Fuller anymore.
Wilson’s mid week comments imply Fuller will likely continue to play, we shall see …

• Sad
Reactions: TU 1978
If you ever refer to Cardell as that, I will never speak to you again. I refuse to have to think about Cardi B and my QB at the same time. 😜 Cardi is not an allowed nickname.
Some of the players call him that.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I would swap ORU and Bixby. ORU's program is still more of an intramural, flag football program than full fledged D1 program. Bixby recruits the entire state and heavily within the Tulsa Metro and we know how good some of those players are
Wait, ORU has some type of football program?

• Haha
Reactions: TU 1978

So the arrogance was more “If you knew as much about football as me, I wouldn’t have to deal with this.” Which in some ways is true.

He’s the best OSU has ever had and may ever have. But the ups and downs of the last 15 years, whether it’s him or the program to blame or both, means he really isn’t a serious candidate for any other job. He flirted once too much with other jobs and now nobody wants him. And there’s a body of work out there that says if you hire him you risk a couple of 7 or 8 win seasons, or worse, for his Top 10 building projects. And the off field headlines with him and his brother means going anywhere with a chance to win the national championship is pretty much impossible. At least right now. He thinks he should be coaching someplace better under the old rules. But the rules have changed and nobody with a caliber program he thinks he deserves would trust him with his inconsistency.

He’s like most 57 year old white men in this country. He can see retirement up ahead, he didn’t accomplish everything he felt he could or was entitled to in his career, his long time boss retired 3 years ago and he has no idea who these new people really are, time is running out on life and he can’t get hired elsewhere at his age, so he’s decided the world has given him a raw deal.
He is a really good coach and has had some great teams. He is arrogant because he has seen this stuff over and over again. The media and message boards freakout, and he just kind of laughs.

A LOT of big 12 programs would love to be in OSU's positio. I would argue they have been the third best program in the big 12 over his career and recently, a lot better than Texas.

He is a bit arrogant but he is also just testy. Personally, I kind of like it. I don't like listening to coaches that just trot out there and give us the same old disengaged, BS coach talk that they really don't believe. It is annoying at times but it gives something for you to bitch about at your office on Mondays.

I honestly think he checked out some time back. He is arrogant and unpredictable, he has never really had a "stand-out" season IMO, I doubt he would get another FBS job if and when they lower the level on him. It makes no difference to me, but it has been interesting to watch play out.

They have intramural flag football. This is the joke.
And there is a book in ORU's bookstore about the plight of students to get football at ORU. It's called Jesus is Our Quarterback. It's sort of a satire.
Ok. I thought they might have made some type of "club" or something. I knew it wasn't like an actual FBS/FCS team.

Should've put Bixby above them.

I thought copper.... hence old Oral didn't understand oxidation couldn't believe his beautiful golden copper hands were turning green. LOL

GO TU!!!!
I don’t know what they built those things with so I looked it up and they are bronze.

If they were copper they would have been stolen and melted down for scrap by now.

Gumby's record at osu is around 160-80. He padded his record with 50 or wins so against out of conference crap programs. Top tier programs look at your record minus the garbage victories!

Gumby's record at osu is around 160-80. He padded his record with 50 or wins so against out of conference crap programs. Top tier programs look at your record minus the garbage victories!
They're 9-9 against TX and a winning record against every other Big XII team not named OU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT