ADVERTISEMENT

ORU thread.

I agree. There is some talent problems - especially at the point (Williams is average) and down low. Konkol not playing the best talent and having them learn and develop just solidifies my opinion that he's a terrible HC.
We knew from the beginning that Konkol was a stretch hire. He never had the best team in CUSA. Usually you hire guys who have been great at lower level and hope they can step up and maintain against better competition. When you hire a guy who was just very good at a lower level, you need him to step up twice as much. That's asking a lot, especially from a guy who's pretty experienced as a head coach and has already ridden up most of his learning curve before arriving here.

We knew from the beginning that Konkol was a stretch hire. He never had the best team in CUSA. Usually you hire guys who have been great at lower level and hope they can step up and maintain against better competition. When you hire a guy who was just very good at a lower level, you need him to step up twice as much. That's asking a lot, especially from a guy who's pretty experienced as a head coach and has already ridden up most of his learning curve before arriving here.
The previous administrations, both at the school and in athletics, have made horrific decisions at almost every level. It is hard to be successful in any way with this level of mismanagement over a long period of time. I see some improvements; my dad loved the pre-game football activities this year and marketing has improved communication from my perspective. I hope it works.

I expect to see many schools fold over the next 15 years as the student loan bubble bursts. I am hoping Tulsa is not one of them.

The previous administrations, both at the school and in athletics, have made horrific decisions at almost every level. It is hard to be successful in any way with this level of mismanagement over a long period of time. I see some improvements; my dad loved the pre-game football activities this year and marketing has improved communication from my perspective. I hope it works.

I expect to see many schools fold over the next 15 years as the student loan bubble bursts. I am hoping Tulsa is not one of them.
This is the same school that appointed Janet Levit as it's President..........

• Haha
Reactions: TulsaAM

I could be completely wrong but I assumed Konkol got hired in part bc of his personality, he's engaging and funny and willing to do outreach to the community. I assumed there was a vision of TU BB as a bridge to the community and Konkol as a guy who could sell a love of TU basketball to the city of Tulsa. And so that upside plus a hope he'd improve got him hired. The risk was always that no personality will matter if he can't deliver on the court.

Of course then we hired KW, who is the anti-Konkol in personality so maybe I'm wrong. Hiring Konkol based on coaching performance alone is hard to understand.

• Haha
Reactions: TulsaAM and ctt8410
I could be completely wrong but I assumed Konkol got hired in part bc of his personality, he's engaging and funny and willing to do outreach to the community. I assumed there was a vision of TU BB as a bridge to the community and Konkol as a guy who could sell a love of TU basketball to the city of Tulsa. And so that upside plus a hope he'd improve got him hired. The risk was always that no personality will matter if he can't deliver on the court.

Of course then we hired KW, who is the anti-Konkol in personality so maybe I'm wrong. Hiring Konkol based on coaching performance alone is hard to understand.
I think you are right based on reading between the lines from Rick Dickson. His connection to the 2001 NIT champ team as a grad assistant probably helped a little too.

Reactions: chito_and_leon

Tulsa folding with a 1 billion dollar endowment and the programs we have? Get. The. ****. Out. Of. Here.

Reactions: dlsnid
Every thread on the free board makes me want to play in traffic with how out of touch and ridiculous MOST of the people are on here.

See you on the flip side.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT