ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Willie Taggart may end up doing a Mike Price or George O'Leary and getting fired within 60 days of taking the job.

It's such a fine line these days. The job of a S&C coach is to push players beyond what they think their limits are to develop toughness but while maintaining safety.

In my experience it's these first couple weeks in January after the season when you are first getting back into these types of intense workouts where things like this happen. Your body is in game shape which is very different from off season shape. I would suspect a great deal of these events, particularly when it doesn't require inpatient care, go unreported and happen all across the country.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
It's such a fine line these days. The job of a S&C coach is to push players beyond what they think their limits are to develop toughness but while maintaining safety.

In my experience it's these first couple weeks in January after the season when you are first getting back into these types of intense workouts where things like this happen. Your body is in game shape which is very different from off season shape. I would suspect a great deal of these events, particularly when it doesn't require inpatient care, go unreported and happen all across the country.
I get that the S&C coach is expected to push the limits for the players, to get them to achieve things they weren't sure were possible. But rhabdomyolysis is a life-threatening condition, especially in a seemingly healthy athlete. Means the body has started feeding on the muscle protein because they were at a deficit otherwise. Protein in urine is not a good thing because for every protein molecule filtered out by the kidney, there is that much more clogging the nephrons (proteins are huge). When you get to that stage you have exceeded pushing the limits...there is also probably a nutrition deficit going on...I wonder if Taggert wanted some kids to drop some weight quickly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT