ADVERTISEMENT

AAC and PAC 4

this year will determine our future comference. We need to have a great season with an impressive bowl win and increase attendence.

Most of the rumors floating around now are simply made up nonsense. What worries me most is that the conference realignments could be in place for next season and we may not have a year to prove ourselves.

I still blame the Tulane kicker.

Most of the rumors floating around now are simply made up nonsense. What worries me most is that the conference realignments could be in place for next season and we may not have a year to prove ourselves.
Agree. Luck and the PAC teams don’t have a year to stand pat and not make a decision. I would anticipate something gets done in the next few months. The question is whether it will be a long term solution like forming a new conference or short term like a scheduling alliance to give Luck more time

Agree. Luck and the PAC teams don’t have a year to stand pat and not make a decision. I would anticipate something gets done in the next few months. The question is whether it will be a long term solution like forming a new conference or short term like a scheduling alliance to give Luck more time
I was a lot more comfortable when the PAC4 just had Kliavkoff, the Washington Generals of commissioners. I'm not as confident with Luck involved. I have very low expectations for Aresco but I figured he could at least outwit Kliavkoff, not nearly as sure with Luck.

If things go wrong, it would be Aresco vs. McLeod to see who gets to be the remaining bottom feeder conference. That would be a contest not to behold.

I still blame the Tulane kicker.
Thank goodness this didn't happen 2 years ago.....

I was a lot more comfortable when the PAC4 just had Kliavkoff, the Washington Generals of commissioners. I'm not as confident with Luck involved. I have very low expectations for Aresco but I figured he could at least outwit Kliavkoff, not nearly as sure with Luck.

If things go wrong, it would be Aresco vs. McLeod to see who gets to be the remaining bottom feeder conference. That would be a contest not to behold.
Luck will make sure Stanford lands in the best possible spot given the available options. I’m just not sure what realistic options are available.

Luck will make sure Stanford lands in the best possible spot given the available options. I’m just not sure what realistic options are available.
Being in a conference w/ Stanford would be an amazing outcome for TU. Like Forrest Gump level achievement. We joke we're the Harvard of the midwest but our real goal should be to be the Stanford of the midwest. This could be huge for us.

I'd have to think Aresco and the AAC are holding a major card in ESPN, something that's here for a long run. ESPN will do whatever it takes to protect that investment. Having Carson on the inside in a relative position of power within the conference is also a huge positive for us. I don't doubt SMU is absolutely trying to do something outside the view of the rest of the AAC but they must know trying to fracture the conference probably won't work as I don't think there are enough votes to dissolve it especially if schools on the outside know that.

My guess is a lot of the crap you're hearing is just that. As Jamie Tartt said in Ted Lasso this year. It's poopy. Just ignore it.

I just wish we were better on the turf and the hardwood so we had something to sell. That is what helped get us into the AAC in the first place.
At least we were able to move on from Haith and Monty. I personally think Wilson was a big time hire. I'm a lot less sanguine about Konkol than most, I don't get that hire, but at least we did something. If Stanford is calling the shots, this might be the only time in conference realignment history where our Olympic sport quality matters at all.

Reactions: TU 1978
Hope you're right. The interwebs seem to think AAC dissolves and 11 teams get an invite to the PAC4, with us not being one of them.
This is extremely unlikely. The only scenario I can see where TU would be excluded is where we purposefully decline to join for a variety of reasons.

The one scenario that leaps to mind that concerns me the most is where the PAC schools request a buy in to help them retire some of the their long term debt so they can cash the basketball tournament money they have coming their way as a windfall. About $60 million.

In that scenario, a school like FAU, that has donor money to burn or is willing to borrow against additional future bodybag games, might drop $27 million in entrance and exit fees for an extra $3 to $5 million a year. It would pay itself off most likely fairly quickly and large schools like that can get financing through booster foundations at favorable rates.

TU is very unlikely to do anything like that. The school isn’t structured that way or have those type of priorities. Especially if contraction really is going to happen in the next ten years.

So on the surface, it looks like we got left behind while a school with atrocious academics and barely measurable TV ratings gets in — when in reality we just quietly declined to play along.

Hope you're right. The interwebs seem to think AAC dissolves and 11 teams get an invite to the PAC4, with us not being one of them.

That info seems to have been started by an Oregon State “insider” who doesn’t appear to have much credibility. Then people read, believe and repeat what they hear and now we’ve got a conspiracy.

this year will determine our future comference. We need to have a great season with an impressive bowl win and increase attendence.
Come on Tulsa and help us with your presence. I will have to watch on ESPN+ and i am grieving as I will miss the crowd noise after each score. TD passes right in front of me on southwest goal line. Go Cane!!!

Reactions: Henry Kendall
ACC met again to add SMU today. The concession for their addition includes no media $$$ for 7 years.

• Haha
Would anyone marry when the prospect says you don’t need to support me for many years?
And the AAC is the most likely to explode league

Would anyone marry when the prospect says you don’t need to support me for many years?
And the AAC is the most likely to explode league
Remember, everyone wants to dance with the easiest girl in the logging camp. SMU.

Can schools be expelled?

ACC met again to add SMU today. The concession for their addition includes no media $$$ for 7 years.
Not sure why Slutty Little Pony would do this. Only reason the ACC takes SLP is bc the ACC is pretty sure it's top teams are leaving, the ACC is backfilling in advance by adding SLP now. By the time SLP starts to get ACC $$, the ACC will be a shell of the 2nd tier conference that it is now. SLP could wait a couple of years, cash AAC checks, then move into the ACC when it falls apart without giving up any $$ now or in the future. Seems like SLP is buying the ACC at what will be its highest point.

That said, SLP seems to top out at a little above average no matter how much $$ they spend so maybe they figure the $$ doesn't matter anyway.

Reactions: Tu Geo
Not sure why Slutty Little Pony would do this. Only reason the ACC takes SLP is bc the ACC is pretty sure it's top teams are leaving, the ACC is backfilling in advance by adding SLP now. By the time SLP starts to get ACC $$, the ACC will be a shell of the 2nd tier conference that it is now. SLP could wait a couple of years, cash AAC checks, then move into the ACC when it falls apart without giving up any $$ now or in the future. Seems like SLP is buying the ACC at what will be its highest point.

That said, SLP seems to top out at a little above average no matter how much $$ they spend so maybe they figure the $$ doesn't matter anyway.
The move all but guarantees SMU will end up with the ACC leftovers instead of the AAC. They would rather be with Duke, Wake, BC, NC State, Va, etc… than North Texas and UTSA. It’s a long term play due to not being confident you will be selected when the ACC backfills. I also assume they will make a million or two in increased ticket sales and prices. Bottom line….it’s an expensive gamble.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
The move all but guarantees SMU will end up with the ACC leftovers instead of the AAC. They would rather be with Duke, Wake, BC, NC State, Va, etc… than North Texas and UTSA. It’s a long term play due to not being confident you will be selected when the ACC backfills. I also assume they will make a million or two in increased ticket sales and prices. Bottom line….it’s an expensive gamble.
I think the other major factor is hubris. The SMU grad golfs with the TCU and Baylor grads at the country club and never hears the end of them being P5 and SMU not. I suspect this is a powerful driver.

I think the other major factor is hubris. The SMU grad golfs with the TCU and Baylor grads at the country club and never hears the end of them being P5 and SMU not. I suspect this is a powerful driver.
This is 90 percent of it. The rest is an attempt to protect what they perceive as brand value when that value has no objective measurement, just like us.

They just spent $100 million on premium seating for the ‘24 season. Including a single gift of $50 million. Now they have to fill those spaces for games with someone other than TCU. They are spending money to make money but have no idea if anyone is going to buy. It’s a major gamble but at least debt is minimal.

And for the record, I think it’s just SMU’s consulting company floating stuff to the media.

They just spent $100 million on premium seating for the ‘24 season. Including a single gift of $50 million. Now they have to fill those spaces for games with someone other than TCU. They are spending money to make money but have no idea if anyone is going to buy. It’s a major gamble but at least debt is minimal.
Makes sense why they are willing to give up TV revenue as it appears they would be able to make up a significant portion with ticket revenue. No one is paying premium prices (or likely even buying tickets) to watch North Texas, UTSA, Rice, etc.

Interesting observation re their media company floating their name. We will know very soon if true.

I know we couldn't foot the bill by floating the idea of doing something similar to what SMU is proposing, but I would certainly rather be in a conference with Duke, Wake Forest, Syracuse, BC, Pitt, and GaTech than with UNT, UTSA, UAB, and ECU, just from an academic alignment standpoint plus our soccer team deserves to be in a conference of that caliber, not that the AAC is not a worthy socccer conference).

Reactions: drboobay
Makes sense why they are willing to give up TV revenue as it appears they would be able to make up a significant portion with ticket revenue. No one is paying premium prices (or likely even buying tickets) to watch North Texas, UTSA, Rice, etc.

Interesting observation re their media company floating their name. We will know very soon if true.
They think people in Dallas want to watch higher profile opponents. Not true. No one in Dallas cares about SMU other than their alumni. No one goes to games against non-TCU opponents and no one watches them on TV. TU will draw much better in terms of TV market share than SMU will this year

They think people in Dallas want to watch higher profile opponents. Not true. No one in Dallas cares about SMU other than their alumni. No one goes to games against non-TCU opponents and no one watches them on TV. TU will draw much better in terms of TV market share than SMU will this year
They are counting on people wanting to be in the stadium to Clemson, FSU, North Carolina, VaTech, Miami, etc…. They will tie season tickets to those games or sell packages. I predict SMU is correct. Ticket revenue will significantly increase due to prices and volume.

Reactions: HuffyCane
They are counting on people wanting to be in the stadium to Clemson, FSU, North Carolina, VaTech, Miami, etc…. They will tie season tickets to those games or sell packages. I predict SMU is correct. Ticket revenue will significantly increase due to prices and volume.
Depends on whether the question is ticket revenue or actual attendance? I know the answer is the first but I'm skeptical that a lot of people will actually show up for most of those games unless SLP is a top 20 team or the other team is a top 10 team. How many people would actually show up to see a 6-3 Clemson or a 2-3 VaTech? But I could see them selling vanity tix to people who go to 1 or 2 games a season. But that interest will collapse if the ACC stops being a second tier conference.

Previous articles said that SLP had donors who would put up the money they lose in conference payments, so they could end up in theory being break even on the conference amounts.

They’re also assuming those teams mentioned will still be a part of the ACC. That could be a very wrong assumption.

Reactions: Henry Kendall
They’re also assuming those teams mentioned will still be a part of the ACC. That could be a very wrong assumption.
Agree. I assume there is a clause in any GORs SMU signs which alters the revenue giveaway should certain teams leave the conference.

Yeah, and the extra amounts FSU and Clemson are seeking are for the duration of the agreement and my guess is they also want concessions on exit from the GoR agreement IF the other 2 big conferences come calling. I really don't expect any of the 4 to budge unless the amount of $ they're getting is significant

Agree. I assume there is a clause in any GORs SMU signs which alters the revenue giveaway should certain teams leave the conference.
Its not going to matter. They would still be in a really good basketball conference with a bunch of bankrupt schools. They saw the writing on the wall when they added the Big East football schools years ago. They knew then that basketball wasn't going to pay the bills because of the way that revenue is shared and they needed to build to keep up with football and didn't have any way to pay for it. If this happens, it just rips off a bandage on a twenty year wound.

Here's a visual representation of the ACC in 2026 and their belief in basketball ...

• Haha
I’m assuming the next step in the money grabs is for the colleges to take over March madness and the $1B in yearly media rights.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT