ADVERTISEMENT

Only 40 days ...

HuffyCane

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 25, 2004
If my guess is correct, there are only 40 days left until the players report for Fall camp.

Summer gets a lot shorter as you get older ....

Reactions: TULSARISING
I’m pretty young for the board, but I remember playing outside almost all day in summer as a kid.

Now as an adult I dislike being outside more than 15-20 min at a time.
It has gotten so hot in the summer now, you had better drink at least 16 oz of water per hour that you are out working in it. We had a guy the other day get symptoms of a heat stroke so he was done for the day. Luckily it wasn't that bad, but it gets very dangerous, very quickly.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
You youngsters are lightweights when it comes to heat. The summer of 1980 had 58 days with 100 degree temperatures. Now that was a hot summer!

I was in college at the time and my summer job was driving an ice truck. Couldn’t have picked a better summer for that job!

My youngest was born in ‘80, right in the middle of the summer.

No summer compares with 1980. Played in a golf tourney carrying my clubs when it was 108 and 109. Lakes on the course were completely dried up.

Summers today are no worse than when I was growing up. Although the hot weather lasts longer into September and October.

And also agreed that kids today don't spend nearly as much time outside getting used to the heat.

Think about old time football practice not getting water many breaks. No Gatorade. At least those guys weren't nearly as heavy.

I remember elementary school without air conditioning. No way they would even have school without air conditioning today. My high school didn't have air conditioning in half the building. My TU frat house didn't have air conditioning in the rooms, although downstairs had it. Those first two weeks of school were tough.

Reactions: Tu Geo
No summer compares with 1980. Played in a golf tourney carrying my clubs when it was 108 and 109. Lakes on the course were completely dried up.

Summers today are no worse than when I was growing up. Although the hot weather lasts longer into September and October.

And also agreed that kids today don't spend nearly as much time outside getting used to the heat.

Think about old time football practice not getting water many breaks. No Gatorade. At least those guys weren't nearly as heavy.

I remember elementary school without air conditioning. No way they would even have school without air conditioning today. My high school didn't have air conditioning in half the building. My TU frat house didn't have air conditioning in the rooms, although downstairs had it. Those first two weeks of school were tough.

The first air conditioned school I attended was the University of Tulsa.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I don’t remember any of my schools having AC either. We started after Labor Day though (none of the dozen breaks they get now) and were done by mid-May.

We didn't have AC at the elementary gym at Jenks in the late 70's/early 80's and had to walk a few blocks to get there.
In fact, despite a rehab to the Rock Gym, I still don't think it has AC.

Students today panic when the AC isn't working when it is hot. They also panic when the heat isn't working if it is real cold. I've had to move my classes to another room with working air when this happens.

I don’t remember any of my schools having AC either. We started after Labor Day though (none of the dozen breaks they get now) and were done by mid-May.
He also had to walk butt naked through the pits of hell up hill with fiery snow seven different ways

We didn't have AC at the elementary gym at Jenks in the late 70's/early 80's and had to walk a few blocks to get there.
In fact, despite a rehab to the Rock Gym, I still don't think it has AC.
I went to elementary school in a building that looked just like/exactly like the school depicted in "A Christmas Story". No A/C in the summer, but the windows did open.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
I went to elementary school in a building that looked just like/exactly like the school depicted in "A Christmas Story". No A/C in the summer, but the windows did open.
Yep, windows open in September and May, radiators through the cold Oklahoma winters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT