ADVERTISEMENT

On to ORU

Gold*

Serious Cat Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2003
They have to play at Wichita Wednesday and then they get us Saturday. Glad we get some time to rest and work on some things. The last several years we got much better this time of year. I like that we get to spend a week watching tape, healing, and planning for these jokers.

Just got seats in section M.

Reactions: I.I. and ctt8410
Channel 2 is accepting donations of blankets and gloves at the game Saturday. Sounds like a good cause.

Richmond beats Wake Forest and then loses to ORU. ORU on a roll.

also in M
last time I was there I sat next to an ORU homer-a@@@le. Hoping for more TU support this year.
Based on the website, it appears ORU is blocking out the end zone next to M for students (who I assume will be on Christmas-semester action) as well as the 3 sections in the other end (covered with tarp to avoid embarrassment?) No Blue upper level seats are for sale.

If the Gold is sold out except for the blocked sections, that is an attendance of about 3,500.

Reactions: rgw1650
We’ll be near the student section. I doubt many show up, but there should be solid opportunities for trolling. If we have a healthy lead, “time for curfew” is a classic. In my time they countered with “time to get drunk.” My buddies and I looked at each other and went to Hardwood.

I was there the year that the ORU police decided AFTER the game to enforce a dress code on the students. There were several young men with painted chests and gym shorts that apparently aroused the elderly ORU fans.

Reactions: TU 1978
Me and my clan will be there. TU needs to take this game seriously. This is their Super Bowl and we can't afford to go into Houston with a L to ORU.

Me and my clan will be there. TU needs to take this game seriously. This is their Super Bowl and we can't afford to go into Houston with a L to ORU.

Not their Super Bowl when students are gone. I suspect shenanigans on our end in that regard, but I don’t really care. With some of the crap they have pulled over the years, they are lucky we play them. And if you want to cal that bulletin board material, then please also post this: your school has had prayers for ORU to win, has had students enter our huddle, lets everyone screw up the court in street shoes, and has done who knows what else. You’re lucky you’re still in D1.

I'm not sure there's any way I can talk my way into attending this game the weekend before Christmas.

Will it not be on tv ?

Wake forest lost at home to something called Houston Baptist. Wake blows.
Wake Forest is terrible this year. Danny won't keep his job. Pretty sure he has already called Bill to see if he can have his old job back.

For a guy who has supposed to be able to develop big men...not a single one as a head coach. Wonder if he just doesn't trust the rest of his coaches to take care of the other details.

I think Danny takes schools for granted and loves the pay check. He’s also probably too busy tweeting about KU.

Just don’t get too rowdy. I have it on good authority that ORUs security officers have both tasers and pepperball guns.

If you throw holy water at them their skin catches fire. And if you throw beer at them, they will give you their thongs.

Section L row 12.

Thought that was behind TU bench?
TU's bench is on the south west end of the court just to the right of the pep band (looking at the court from that side). L & M are the 2 sections closest to the TU bench. ORU students, any who attend that is, usually sit in N, P, & Q although P has been mostly blocked off behind it. I think N is the main student section now.

Last edited:
Just don’t get too rowdy. I have it on good authority that ORUs security officers have both tasers and pepperball guns.

Hoping for a TU takeover this Saturday. Yes...many nattys will be prior. Dads night out!

I wonder why ORU would schedule this game during the student Christmas break? Maybe TU said - that is the only open date we have - take it or leave it. I had heard that TU wasn't going to play at ORU this year, so maybe this was a condition.

If you throw holy water at them their skin catches fire. And if you throw beer at them, they will give you their thongs.

Their not Catholic so holy water means nothing to them!!!
Now one of Oral's old prayer clothes is another thing!!!

Anyone need 2 tickets? I’ve Got 2 in M I’ll
Sell for 20$ total (sitting with another friend now)

I absolutely hate going over to the Mabee Center. Their campus has such a creepy feel to it... and the maybe center is so dark and musty... but I’ll be there cheering our guys on.

I remember when Mabee was a palace and a shocking contrast to both the Fairgrounds, then the Convention Center. It now has the look and feel of an outdated arena, with shabby carpet and ugly bathrooms. And, the elliptical layout that seemed so cool in the 70s now pushes the fans way back from the experience. The Blue seats seem as far removed from the action as the upper deck in AT&T Stadium.

ORU would do well to implode it and build a really nice 5K arena (but I'm sure there isn't cash for an athletic project).

Its Christmas and we have to say one nice thing, im jealous of the parking. There I said it.
Deceptive. The parking is really not so convenient. Sort of like being on the strip in Vegas. Your seat is much further away from your car than it appears.

"Testing....one, two, three....testing"

"Is this thing on?"

Greetings from the sub-300 NET world. A few observations in response to this thread so far:

1. Section M of the Mabee Center is directly behind the visitor's bench. It is a strange collection of empty rows, which are held for visiting fans such as you, AND scattered members of the ORU Varsity Club, which includes a few athletic Hall of Famers. It is bordered to one side by the students in Section N (which will be virtually empty since school is out), and on the other side by high-end donors and sponsors in Section L (which will be virtually empty because there are no high-end donors or sponsors anymore).

2. To create a more "cozy" game experience with only 1500 fans in a 10,000 seat arena, the entire upper section ("The Blue Seats") are closed off for virtually every game, and black tarps cover the end zone sections on either end of the arena, with cutouts for the pep band in Section O and the media in Section P.

3. Do not expect more than a couple of concession stands to be opened, and they will likely be overwhelmed with the "crowd". Get yer popcorn early.

4. Remember, no beer sales. Still high on life.

5. The new Eli mascot makes looks less like Foghorn Leghorn. It now looks more like his sidekick, the little chicken hawk.

6. We all miss "ORU Voice" on the PA. And on the fan forums. He deserved a better fate.

7. The current level of enthusiasm for the program is, how shall we say, "subdued"? Do not be surprised (disappointed?) when what few ORU faithful are in attendance do not respond in kind to your favorite chants involving "2 gay guys named Bob" and "900-foot-Jesus".

8. In all candor, this is not your father's ORU basketball program. It's not even your weird uncle's ORU basketball program. There are faint glimmers of talent, and occasional glimpses of hope, but for the most part, it has simply not been at all good this year vs. legitimate D-1 competition. Think last year's edition at the Reynolds Center, with more turnovers. You might like the freshmen Weaver and Obanor, but they're both really raw. Any outcome within 20 points will be a total surprise.

Questions? Comments? Enjoy the game; and take it easy on the old Hall of Famers in Section M. They're likely just as disappointed as you are...

Last edited:
I like to be loud especially when subsidizing opponents' budgets with my ticket purchases.

But I try to avoid booing the other team's players unless the really deserve it. Refs are another matter.

Reactions: TU Sepp
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT