ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma State game thread

And we forced 28! How do you lose by 15 when you do that? Crazy stuff.
It's hard even to get your head around, isn't it??

Total system failure on offense. We sucked at everything on offense - 20 turnovers, when we didn't turn the ball over, we were unable to create shots (4 assists), the shots we got we couldn't hit (37% from the field, 15% from 3PT) and we couldn't get any second chances (6 offensive rebounds vs their 31 defensive rebounds). If we didn't suck at any aspect of offense, we'd have been in the game.

That's what's so demoralizing to me. It's hard to imagine a more comprehensively incompetent offensive game than this.

Reactions: TulsaAM

I watched a little bit after the Chiefs game ended. The crowd looked closer to 500 than 1500 on the TV broadcast. There were under 800 tickets sold about an hour before game time.

After watching a string of turnovers with no points by either team, we opted for an 1883 rerun instead.

And we forced 28! How do you lose by 15 when you do that? Crazy stuff.
The problem we had is we were trying to play hero ball and jacking up 3’s from the NBA line instead of the line they should have. Trying to force those shots from three. Then there is all of the circus shot crap. What the hell happened to fundamental basketball?! Now it’s all about what kind of dumbass shot can you get off to try and get on sportscenter. I could have choked Haggerty out with all of his garbage that he kept putting up. Go in and draw the foul. Put them in foul trouble. Getting a 2 and then a stout defense and then another two will be better than jacking up 3’s all the damn time.

No it’s not coaching. Stop blaming the damn coach. The players have to go out and play the game. Haggerty said on an interview after a game that he plans to play his style of ball. Well if this was your style then I don’t want it cause it was trash.

This team is better than Last years but there is no reason we shouldn’t be undefeated right now but we sit here at 5-4. We play like this in conference and we are gonna get smoked by a lot of teams.

Don’t give me no McDonald’s all American crap either. No one on that team is just sooooo goood. Archie was out playing every person in that court for both teams.

Trash is what I watched. Straight trash. If you don’t agree that’s fine I don’t care. This performance was abysmal. The effort is there but the performance was bad.

The problem we had is we were trying to play hero ball and jacking up 3’s from the NBA line instead of the line they should have. Trying to force those shots from three. Then there is all of the circus shot crap. What the hell happened to fundamental basketball?! Now it’s all about what kind of dumbass shot can you get off to try and get on sportscenter. I could have choked Haggerty out with all of his garbage that he kept putting up. Go in and draw the foul. Put them in foul trouble. Getting a 2 and then a stout defense and then another two will be better than jacking up 3’s all the damn time.

No it’s not coaching. Stop blaming the damn coach. The players have to go out and play the game. Haggerty said on an interview after a game that he plans to play his style of ball. Well if this was your style then I don’t want it cause it was trash.

This team is better than Last years but there is no reason we shouldn’t be undefeated right now but we sit here at 5-4. We play like this in conference and we are gonna get smoked by a lot of teams.

Don’t give me no McDonald’s all American crap either. No one on that team is just sooooo goood. Archie was out playing every person in that court for both teams.

Trash is what I watched. Straight trash. If you don’t agree that’s fine I don’t care. This performance was abysmal. The effort is there but the performance was bad.
Archie stole from Thompson at least six or seven times.

And now our number one fan has gone over the ledge.

Who was it that selected virtually every player on the team, and who is it that those team members refuse to listen to.

It may be time to stop making excuses for a coach that seems to have lost control and is in way over his head.

Fellas, I'll be the first to admit I know NOTHING about the mechanics of basketball...
It just seems to me like we have no "inside presence". Where we have a guy in the key who can take a pass, make a bank shot, or kick it out to a guy for a 3 point shot or move it "around the horn". There's this useless unathletic white guy named Reed who sucks a$s through a straw who can't defend or make a play on offense to save his life. Other than him, I don't see anyone down low pretending to be a threat near the paint. Why are we always dribbling near half court until the shot clock is at 5 seconds??

Reactions: chito_and_leon

5-3

And now our number one fan has gone over the ledge.

Who was it that selected virtually every player on the team, and who is it that those team members refuse to listen to.

It may be time to stop making excuses for a coach that seems to have lost control and is in way over his head.
It's always darkest just before dawn... But seriously, learning for novices often has big ups and downs. Sometimes your worst performance is followed by one that's a big step forward. That's what I'm sticking to, at least until reality smashes my head into the wall again.

we need to figure out how to win away from tulsa
How much do you think it's that we're better at home and how much is that the teams we've played at home other than Loyola are really bad? My off the cuff feeling is that 3 of the 4 best teams we've played were on the road.

How much do you think it's that we're better at home and how much is that the teams we've played at home other than Loyola are really bad? My off the cuff feeling is that 3 of the 4 best teams we've played were on the road.
Well I guess we will see when we play Missouri state next. Right now we are more efficient at home. Yesterday I think the players made the game too big for themselves.

Reactions: chito_and_leon

It's because we are YOUNG AND INEXPERIENCED. Not having our best shooter didn't help either.

Chill....it's a process to build this thing back up.

Sounds to me as if Willis might need something more serious, like surgery on that foot. Wonder how long he's gonna be out this time. Or does he just decide it's time to throw in the towel, rather than reinjure it two or three more times this year, and spend half of the rest of the season on the bench. It's good that we have till Saturday off, but I don't know if Barnes, Carlous, or Willis are going to heal up that quick. If we're lucky we'll get one, or at best, two of them back for Missouri St.

Last edited:
We got 0 points from our bigs, Garcia, Keita and Reed. You can’t win games without some inside scoring. We need a portal transfer from a big for next year, adding to Smikle. Wish we had had the dollars to keep Selebangue. I imagine this is going to be a problem going forward for small schools like Tulsa.

I’m so fed up with the state of NCAA sports. You can see what’s coming (almost there now) with NIL and consolidation of big P5 conferences.

We got 0 points from our bigs, Garcia, Keita and Reed. You can’t win games without some inside scoring. We need a portal transfer from a big for next year, adding to Smikle. Wish we had had the dollars to keep Selebangue. I imagine this is going to be a problem going forward for small schools like Tulsa.

I’m so fed up with the state of NCAA sports. You can see what’s coming (almost there now) with NIL and consolidation of big P5 conferences.
I do think Reed is going to be an absolute stud, he just needs time. Freshman bigs you really can't rely on.

Sounds to me as if Willis might need something more serious, like surgery on that foot. Wonder how long he's gonna be out this time. Or does he just decide it's time to throw in the towel, rather than reinjure it two or three more times this year, and spend half of the rest of the season on the bench. It's good that we have till Saturday off, but I don't know if Barnes, Carlous, or Willis are going to heal up that quick. If we're lucky we'll get one, or at best, two of them back for Missouri St.
Does Willis even qualify for a medical redshirt if needed?

Does Willis even qualify for a medical redshirt if needed?
As I remember, if you're in the Covid extended eligibility group, you
have six seasons to get in five seasons of play...I don't know how this
relates to Willis, but if he is interested and is eligible, it would certainly
give him an opportunity to get to play a full schedule his final season...

BT was a McDonald's All-American and a coveted recruit by Bill Self at Kansas. Haith and Seals followed him for years but had no chance. Self quickly saw the mechanized movements of BT were not instinctual and asked him to try another school. Thompson has practiced his moves thousands of times, but in the games he has to resort to making the exact practice moves which seem stiff and mechanical. He is such a great kid you hate to see this but all of us saw a problem with the Twitter "naming of my top 10. and my top 5 and the reveal, etc." A one and done was quickly predicted for this elite athlete but now we just hope he has a good education so he can get a coaching job or an A.D. job as he deserves the best.

BT was a McDonald's All-American and a coveted recruit by Bill Self at Kansas. Haith and Seals followed him for years but had no chance. Self quickly saw the mechanized movements of BT were not instinctual and asked him to try another school. Thompson has practiced his moves thousands of times, but in the games he has to resort to making the exact practice moves which seem stiff and mechanical. He is such a great kid you hate to see this but all of us saw a problem with the Twitter "naming of my top 10. and my top 5 and the reveal, etc." A one and done was quickly predicted for this elite athlete but now we just hope he has a good education so he can get a coaching job or an A.D. job as he deserves the best.
He is an Eisenhower kid so that is good.

And signing with Haith? I understand why not.

BT was a McD AA. I get naming top 10 and top 5. It’s just what that caliber of players generally do. Can’t be easy for a former 5* kid with NBA expectations to realize his ceiling is being a good role player on a D1 roster. He seems to have accepted his role and handled it with class.

….and yes, Bryce not coming to TU was about Haith and not the school.

Reactions: I.I. and Gmoney4WW
BT was a McD AA. I get naming top 10 and top 5. It’s just what that caliber of players generally do. Can’t be easy for a former 5* kid with NBA expectations to realize his ceiling is being a good role player on a D1 roster. He seems to have accepted his role and handled it with class.

….and yes, Bryce not coming to TU was about Haith and not the school.
We woulda lost out to Kansas, but not OSU, except Haith.

Reactions: I.I.
Reed will never be a center. He has the potential to play the 4 with his shooting ability
Reed was athletically outmatched by OSU’s three freshmen bigs. I see Reed as a stretch 4. Needs to develop an outside jumper to be a good D1 player imo.

Reactions: I.I.
Reed was athletically outmatched by OSU’s three freshmen bigs. I see Reed as a stretch 4. Needs to develop an outside jumper to be a good D1 player imo.
Already has a good jumper. Doesn’t have quick enough feet to defend the 4. In our conference, he’s a 5 after spending another year in the weight room and gaining 20 pounds.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT