ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma, one of worst states for craft beer

I feel like there is a crap ton of recently opened local breweries. Because there are. More than I have time to ever go to. And we gots American Solera and that’s like having the LeBron of craft beer.

I see Prairie vehicles down here all the time but never see anyone drinking it. Coop has had some QC issues when we get cans down here. :(

Surprised TX doesn't appear as a best. Def a fave thing about living in Houston.

Do y'all see Legal Draft up there? It's out of Arlington and has some of the quirkiest names. Had the Impeachment IPA a couple weeks ago and it was DELISH.

Dang, now I want beer.

Ooh I wonder if Karbach doesn't count anymore since it was bought by the evil empire.

I feel like there is a crap ton of recently opened local breweries. Because there are. More than I have time to ever go to. And we gots American Solera and that’s like having the LeBron of craft beer.
I think it must come down to having breweries everywhere. My wife is from a town of 7000 in middle of nowhere minnesota and they have at least one brewery. Imagine Poteau with a full craft brewery. And people in Poteau drinking craft beer instead of Bud Light.

I see Prairie vehicles down here all the time but never see anyone drinking it. Coop has had some QC issues when we get cans down here. :(

Surprised TX doesn't appear as a best. Def a fave thing about living in Houston.

Do y'all see Legal Draft up there? It's out of Arlington and has some of the quirkiest names. Had the Impeachment IPA a couple weeks ago and it was DELISH.

Dang, now I want beer.

Prairie is not really Praiirie, right? The guy started American Solera. They were bought by Choc. They still make the beer and spend obscene amounts on Christmas decorations in their bar downtown, but I don’t know anyone around here who is interested in them anymore. Next time they should try a non-compete or like not buy a craft beer and lose the crafty part.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
I think it must come down to having breweries everywhere. My wife is from a town of 7000 in middle of nowhere minnesota and they have at least one brewery. Imagine Poteau with a full craft brewery. And people in Poteau drinking craft beer instead of Bud Light.

Fair point. Poteau is a little small to support it. But there is a decent brewery a bit south in Broken Bow. Small town Oklahoma is still small town Oklahoma. Many of those little towns still bar liquor by the drink or alcohol sales at bars on Sundays, etc.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Prairie is not really Praiirie, right? The guy started American Solera. They were bought by Choc. They still make the beer and spend obscene amounts on Christmas decorations in their bar downtown, but I don’t know anyone around here who is interested in them anymore. Next time they should try a non-compete or like not buy a craft beer and lose the crafty part.
I like some of their creations, but they are WAY overpriced. You can buy a really good bourbon-barrel aged lager or stout for less than just about any Prairie offering. It makes no sense.

Marshall is my local go-to. I enjoy supporting a TU grad, and it's just good. Bound for Glory is probably my favorite from Marshall.

Reactions: TU Pilot
Wouldn't surprise me if Prairie sells better outside of Oklahoma than inside these days. They've still got every spot in the Oklahoma top 10 of rating sites like BeerAdvocate. I was in Australia earlier this year and did a double take when I saw a bottle shop advertising that they carried Prairie.

Yeah, that's the answer. There's more than 100 distinct breweries in the metro area where I live and one in every small town in all directions. 90% of them are pretty mediocre, but it's beer. And they help keep crowds down at the good places.

I’m out of the loop these days, so American Solera is good local brew? Or it’s owned by Choc?

American Solera is really good. Choc owns Prairie. I think Choc was always involved and helped market and produce, but they bought out the main guy and he now makes American Solera. There’s a little brewery in west Tulsa and then a tap room at 18th and Boston that is always packed. They make a lot of weird, wonderful beer. It’s always a little different when I go and I like that. I think they make a couple of regular beers, like a stout and this sour cherry thing that I usually fall for.

American Solera is really good. Choc owns Prairie. I think Choc was always involved and helped market and produce, but they bought out the main guy and he now makes American Solera. There’s a little brewery in west Tulsa and then a tap room at 18th and Boston that is always packed. They make a lot of weird, wonderful beer. It’s always a little different when I go and I like that. I think they make a couple of regular beers, like a stout and this sour cherry thing that I usually fall for.
I’ve become obsessed with sours. Brewery near us had 3 (!!!) on tap last time I went there. I usually feel lucky if they have one.

Am I the only one over the IPA thing? I was all in for a long time but after a decade or whatever it’s time for a different taste.

Reactions: Gold*
What are your favorites for brown ale and bitters in local beers. One of my favorites over the past several years is Marshall's Pub ale. Always liked Rogue HazelNut Brown Nectar nationally.

I’ve become obsessed with sours. Brewery near us had 3 (!!!) on tap last time I went there. I usually feel lucky if they have one.

Am I the only one over the IPA thing? I was all in for a long time but after a decade or whatever it’s time for a different taste.

We’d get along. Sours are great. Don’t understand all the IPAs.

Sours are my jam too. I have to be careful though because I can drink them like they’re nothin’.

Rogue HazelNut Brown Nectar
SO GOOD. And since you like it, here are others you should try if you haven't already...

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale
Ellie's Brown Ale from Avery
Koko Brown Ale from Kona
Downtown Brown Ale from Lost Coast
Turbodog from Abita
Grandma's Pecan Brown Ale from The Dudes'

Along with the Rogue Hazelnut Brown, that's my list of favorite Browns.

Now this is a beer invention I was introduced to a couple years ago that was life changing. Those barrel aged beers are to die for.
I'm a big bourbon guy, so they're right up my alley. Here are some of my favorites so far...

Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale from Lexington Brewing
Bound for Glory from Marshall Brewing
Backwoods Bastard from Founders Brewing
Innis & Gunn Bourbon Aged Dark Ale
Bourbon Paradise from Prairie Ales
Bourbon Barrel Aged DNR with Chocolate from COOP
Boont Barl (Bourbon Barrel Amber Ale) from Anderson Valley

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
SO GOOD. And since you like it, here are others you should try if you haven't already...

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale
Ellie's Brown Ale from Avery
Koko Brown Ale from Kona
Downtown Brown Ale from Lost Coast
Turbodog from Abita
Grandma's Pecan Brown Ale from The Dudes'

Along with the Rogue Hazelnut Brown, that's my list of favorite Browns.
Thanks. Tried all of em except Koko & Grandma's Pecan. Had another pecan ale that was pretty darn good but I can't remember the name. I remember what the label looks like though, so I'll drop it on you the next time I've been to the liquor store.

Was hoping for some local brew favs in bitters and browns. Also wouldn't mind hearing opinions on local Porters and Stouts.

I still order IPAs, but lean more towards the NE hazy IPAs or session IPAs these days. I like to maintain the ability to taste my food when I have one with dinner.

Sours are more of a risk/reward proposition. The good ones are really good. The bad ones are nearly undrinkable.

If you find yourself in Ponca City, Vortex Alley is worth a visit!
http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sce...cle_0da35b0c-64fa-5c41-9248-e08eef51bb2c.html

We still will take all of your IPAs but the session-style are definitely nice in warmer weather. Easy Peasy by Deep Ellum is yummy. St Arnolds Pub Crawl and Karbach Big and Bright are my other faves in that family.

Will be in town for the TU pub crawl Saturday so looking forward to a Marshalls. Maybe we can scrounge up an Arrowhead! :)

Texas craft beer is awesome, but never makes any of these lists because most of those places can sell more beer than they could ever make without distributing outside the state.

Was blown away when we toured Karbach and learned they basically only had the capacity at that point to have a few days worth of inventory for current distribution. I'm not sure if they're outside of Texas yet, but it's been good that they've kept the same quality since A-B took over!

It's only been, what, two years since breweries were given the right to sale their beer direct to the public? Since then, breweries have been popping up like crazy around the state. Even outside OKC and Tulsa we are seeing new breweries. One opened up in Pryor recently and there's one currently in the works in Dewey. Craft beer in Oklahoma is nothing to be ashamed of.

FYI, best new brewery in the state is Heirloom Rustic. Those guys have it figured out.

Can only try so much in a weekend, but I’m impressed. Tulsa craft beer is in good shape.

American Solera is on par with some of the best breweries in the country for the styles they make. The tasting room on Boston is a stark contrast to the Prairie brewpub, but I like it. They let the beer speak for itself.

Everything I had at Heirloom was excellent and it’s impressive what they’ve done in a pretty modest space.

Welltown is a cool place to hang out and the owner was incredibly friendly and willing to answer questions. The beer was ok. It does feel a little like an MBA project on starting a brewery, but they’ve got the framework. Will be interested to see how they do once they start self-distribution.

Prairie was as expected. Overpriced, but the beer was good. The food was fine. They can coast on reputation.

Sounds like Marshall will open their new spot next weekend. Will have to check that out next time. Along with Cabin Boys, Willows, and Dead Armadillo.

Last edited:
Reactions: TUBballJunkie
Sounds like Marshall will open their new spot next weekend. Will have to check that out next time. Along with Cabin Boys, Willows, and Dead Armadillo.
Marshall's will always be one of my favorites. Eric does a great job across the board.

I haven't made it over to Cabin Boys yet, but their French Ale that they make for Nola's restaurant is fabulous.

Reactions: TU Sepp and ctt8410
Personally, I don't drink IPA. Just not my cup of tea.

Yeah, we are usually in the minority with IPAs at breweries these days. As far as the big ones go, only 4/10 are in the IPA family at Karbach and 3/12 at St Arnold. Even less at the smaller/newer breweries.

Yeah, we are usually in the minority with IPAs at breweries these days. As far as the big ones go, only 4/10 are in the IPA family at Karbach and 3/12 at St Arnold. Even less at the smaller/newer breweries.

That’s good to know that the small brewers are getting back to the American palette...

For years I stayed away from them because all it seemed was offered was an IPA or a hoppy beer.. hops are good, but that shouldn’t be all I taste.

Too much hops overpowers my cigar.

I noticed that there were no local beer options at the game last weekend. Last year they at least had a few COOP beers to choose from and during basketball season they were serving Marshall. This year nothing but AB offerings. Pretty disappointing that the ForOurCity campaign doesn't translate over to supporting local breweries.

I noticed that there were no local beer options at the game last weekend. Last year they at least had a few COOP beers to choose from and during basketball season they were serving Marshall. This year nothing but AB offerings. Pretty disappointing that the ForOurCity campaign doesn't translate over to supporting local breweries.
I talked to the ladies serving the beer about the selection and she said they would be adding beers in the next couple of weeks when the season changed. She said things like the Oktoberfest beer would probably be back on the menu. Now I know a decent amount of beers put out an Oktoberfest beer, but I think she was referring to the one we had before which was Marshalls. I don't know if it will get put out for Sept 15 against Arkansas St., but I definitely know the selection will grow at least by Oct 12 against USF, and it probably will have a few local options. I was certainly disappointed in the selection, but think it will be back to last years type choices in the next game or two.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT