ADVERTISEMENT

Official Wyoming Prediction Thread

I'd like to see the traditional gold helmet, blue jersey, gold pants. Of course I think it was Homecoming 1996 that Rader broke out the red jerseys for the game vs Wyoming.

TU 34
Wyoming 16

Wyoming moves the ball but has to kick a bunch of FGs as our guys bow up in the red zone.
Correct. Highlights of that game in the opening billboard of this edition of the Dave Rader show

Just for fun. Here’s the 1994 Wyoming victory over TU. 5 teams were on the 1994 schedule that are also on the 2019 schedule. Wyoming, ECU, Memphis, Cincinnati and OSU. We lost them all. We went 3-8 with a win over Missouri. Let’s hope we can do better this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: quincy101
I miss the days when coaches wore suits and ties. These guys are being paid millions at least they could look dignified. (Not necessarily on the field, but at least in interviews)

I miss the days when coaches wore suits and ties. These guys are being paid millions at least they could look dignified. (Not necessarily on the field, but at least in interviews)
You realize the NFL has a rule now where they have to wear the prescribed Nike gear on the sideline. Mike Nolan had to get special permission from the NFL to wear a suit and tie when he was HC of the 49ers (and he wanted to do it as a homage to his dad). I personally like the sideline gear coaches wear. Sure Belichick looks like a slob with the cut off sleeves and all but who's going to argue with his record. I actually have always thought it was silly to wear a suit and tie while coaching. When I got licensed for coaching soccer, the USSF recommends you wear gear suited to practicing or playing. Coaches are active participants.I wouldn't bat an eye if Haith and his staff came to every game with a TU polo on. I also never understood hockey coaches and wearing suits.

Of course that's me. I value comfort and function over trying to appease someone else's sense of standard.

You realize the NFL has a rule now where they have to wear the prescribed Nike gear on the sideline. Mike Nolan had to get special permission from the NFL to wear a suit and tie when he was HC of the 49ers (and he wanted to do it as a homage to his dad). I personally like the sideline gear coaches wear. Sure Belichick looks like a slob with the cut off sleeves and all but who's going to argue with his record. I actually have always thought it was silly to wear a suit and tie while coaching. When I got licensed for coaching soccer, the USSF recommends you wear gear suited to practicing or playing. Coaches are active participants.I wouldn't bat an eye if Haith and his staff came to every game with a TU polo on. I also never understood hockey coaches and wearing suits.

Of course that's me. I value comfort and function over trying to appease someone else's sense of standard.
It’s because I value people showing class. People don’t dress up for work, dates, or church anymore. Depending on what you’re doing I understand that, but I think there was a time when dressing up for something meant that you really cared about the occasion and you wanted to show that you put effort in to looking your best and representing yourself well.

Again, I said that I could understand a football coach not wearing a jacket on the sideline in hundred degree heat, but it does take something away from making game day special. I would like it if dressing up for special occasions came back into style. Wearing a tie isn’t the worst thing in the world.

One of those 2 games was the one where Kazadi one armed the RB and flung him backwards 5 yards. I believe he played some or most of that game with an injured arm.
That would be the win against Iowa. He had a ton of tackles,some TFL's & a couple sacks vs. the Iowegians,all with one arm useless. One of, if not the guttiest performances by a TU player or anyone else I've ever seen.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Coach Rader preferred the shirt and tie look. No jacket though.

By the way, did anyone else notice him wandering the sidelines before the game on Saturday, standing and straightening the end zone pylons? I thought maybe he had a new job.

Reactions: HuffyCane
It’s because I value people showing class. People don’t dress up for work, dates, or church anymore. Depending on what you’re doing I understand that, but I think there was a time when dressing up for something meant that you really cared about the occasion and you wanted to show that you put effort in to looking your best and representing yourself well.

Again, I said that I could understand a football coach not wearing a jacket on the sideline in hundred degree heat, but it does take something away from making game day special. I would like it if dressing up for special occasions came back into style. Wearing a tie isn’t the worst thing in the world.
Class can be shown/displayed in different ways. Just because someone wears a coat and a tie to a function doesn't mean the person has class. I give proper respect to functions and wear appropriate attire for the occasion, so that does mean a suit and tie when the occasion calls for it. What you are doing should dictate the attire and the attire should also be reflective of the function and, IMO, a suit while coaching doesn't reflect the function...especially in soccer, basketball, football. Coaches are much more active in their roles nowadays. Being a HC is a lot more active during games than when Landry, Shula, Lombardi coached. Hell, even Belichick will occasionally trot down the sideline to call a TO or throw a challenge flag. Soccer coaches are very active on the sidelines.

As for church...it's the churches themselves encouraging people to wear whatever. There was a significant drop in church attendance in the late 1990s/early 2000s. The atmosphere was stuffy and there was a disconnect with younger generations. This is why you see more traditional denominations offering 2 services with one frequently being a "contemporary" service. The message being come as you are the important thing is you're here and receiving the Word. Churches who have adapted to this successfully aren't watching their congregations die as the population of older generations decreases. I can tell you that this is something that bothers my father-in-law a great deal. I frequently wear a polo and slacks to church and to him I am under dressed...but for our church and congregation (and the service I go to), I am within the norm.

We went 3-8 with a win over Missouri
Thinking back on the Dave Rader(St. Senator R-Tulsa) days & except for the outstanding '91 season, it's just inexplicable how we would manage to knock off a power conf. team & then step on our johnson's vs teams we should have beaten and end up with losing seasons. Oh well, it made me somewhat philosophical about losing seasons & certainly helped my peace of mind during the Burn's years & lately. Win or lose, my loyalty to TU football has never wavered.

Thinking back on the Dave Rader(St. Senator R-Tulsa) days & except for the outstanding '91 season, it's just inexplicable how we would manage to knock off a power conf. team & then step on our johnson's vs teams we should have beaten and end up with losing seasons. Oh well, it made me somewhat philosophical about losing seasons & certainly helped my peace of mind during the Burn's years & lately. Win or lose, my loyalty to TU football has never wavered.
I always wondered that. They way we started '96 w/ the stupid loss to a BAD SMU team followed by ineptness in Stoolwater to come back and beat Iowa, OU, and Colorado State in succession had me really excited TU would have a special season.

Class can be shown/displayed in different ways. Just because someone wears a coat and a tie to a function doesn't mean the person has class. I give proper respect to functions and wear appropriate attire for the occasion, so that does mean a suit and tie when the occasion calls for it. What you are doing should dictate the attire and the attire should also be reflective of the function and, IMO, a suit while coaching doesn't reflect the function...especially in soccer, basketball, football. Coaches are much more active in their roles nowadays. Being a HC is a lot more active during games than when Landry, Shula, Lombardi coached. Hell, even Belichick will occasionally trot down the sideline to call a TO or throw a challenge flag. Soccer coaches are very active on the sidelines.

As for church...it's the churches themselves encouraging people to wear whatever. There was a significant drop in church attendance in the late 1990s/early 2000s. The atmosphere was stuffy and there was a disconnect with younger generations. This is why you see more traditional denominations offering 2 services with one frequently being a "contemporary" service. The message being come as you are the important thing is you're here and receiving the Word. Churches who have adapted to this successfully aren't watching their congregations die as the population of older generations decreases. I can tell you that this is something that bothers my father-in-law a great deal. I frequently wear a polo and slacks to church and to him I am under dressed...but for our church and congregation (and the service I go to), I am within the norm.
I'm aware of how people dress today. I'm also aware that the reason coaches are made to wear athletic clothing on the sideline isn't for comfort it's for advertising dollars. In the NFL for a long time it was Reebok. I don't have a problem with assistant coaches wearing whatever on the sideline because they will frequently be throwing footballs, or coaching technique. That's not what the HC is there for. He's there to be the head honcho. The guy who runs the show. The decision maker.

As far as church goes, I'm probably not the best person to talk to. I'll move that discussion over to crossfire if you'd like to read it there.

Tulsa: 24
Wyoming: 20

Bonus prediction:

Its a grind early and Tulsa goes down 10. Monte forced to adopt to a short & quick passing game. That cures our o-line concerns and once adopted Smith gets into a rhythm, our offense flows, makes it look easy, and I have hope for the rest of the year. Wyoming starts to expect the short passes and the linebackers drop to coverage automatically, leading to a couple of nice runs in the 4th. Tulsa comes from behind, but a last possession drive is not needed for the W.

Fun Facts:

- Wyoming has one Oklahoma kid on the roster.
- The State of Wyoming has about the same population as Tulsa and its immediate suburbs (BA,Owasso, Jenks, Bixby..), in an area about 40% larger than the state of Oklahoma.
- It's about the same distance to go from U Wyoming either to Vegas or Tulsa. U Wyoming is 100 miles closer to the Canadian border than to Tulsa.
- Tulsa is going to beat Wyoming in football.

TU 31
Wyo 20

Tulsa County 646,000
Wyoming 577,000

Tulsa Metro 1,150,000

GO TU!!!!!

Tulsa: 24
Wyoming: 20

Fun Facts:

- Wyoming has one Oklahoma kid on the roster.
- The State of Wyoming has about the same population as Tulsa and its immediate suburbs (BA,Owasso, Jenks, Bixby..), in an area about 40% larger than the state of Oklahoma.
- It's about the same distance to go from U Wyoming either to Vegas or Tulsa. U Wyoming is 100 miles closer to the Canadian border than to Tulsa.
- Tulsa is going to beat Wyoming in football.

All reasons why games vs La Tech or UNT, hell even Arkie St or UAPB make more sense to schedule then the MW teams other than Fresno, Boise, or AFA.

All reasons why games vs La Tech or UNT, hell even Arkie St or UAPB make more sense to schedule then the MW teams other than Fresno, Boise, or AFA.

One of the benefits of the Wyoming series is their willingness to play here first then wait 3 years for the return game.

Not all prospective opponents will agree at that.

One of the benefits of the Wyoming series is their willingness to play here first then wait 3 years for the return game.

Not all prospective opponents will agree at that.

True. I was speaking generally, but we have discussed this before and the issue of lining up our games. Gragg has drastically improved the situation and you can see a schedule philosophy growing.

We need success to bring in more fans, but playing regional opponents and giving our fans/recruits a chance to see that success on the road is the best way to take advantage of the opportunity to build a stronger following. As a casual I might take a weekend trip to see a game, I'm probably not traveling 500 miles to see one though.

True. I was speaking generally, but we have discussed this before and the issue of lining up our games. Gragg has drastically improved the situation and you can see a schedule philosophy growing.

We need success to bring in more fans, but playing regional opponents and giving our fans/recruits a chance to see that success on the road is the best way to take advantage of the opportunity to build a stronger following. As a casual I might take a weekend trip to see a game, I'm probably not traveling 500 miles to see one though.
We've covered this. The majority of Tulsans, as sports fans, suck. We could have run OSU back to Stillwater last week and we'd have barely a tick over 20k at this week's game and that's with OU on a bye week and OSU in Austin. If we play more games against Louisiana North South east and Western Wear U or against Arkansas State and blow them out...the excuse will be you are playing weak opponents and we're not interested. We can bring in Big XII teams and the only additional fans will be theirs...and if we lose, the excuse will be TU is not good enough. Tulsans have an excuse to not actually go to a game every time. Tomorrow's will be "it might be rainy". If it were sunny, the excuse will be "it's too hot". Never mind they'd gladly pay $85 for a ticket to an OU game in Norman, and it could 150 degrees in the stadium and they'd be playing the South Dakota Sisters of the Poor Convent. Let's go ahead and grip about the parking...I showed up 20 minutes before kick and parked a 5 minute walk to the stadium, on campus and didn't pay to park. My wife showed up 15 minutes in and also got a free parking spot about 2-3 minutes further....still on campus. Gripe about atmosphere...Chapman Commons had a pretty good thing going on last weekend. Campus had tons of people around. Tailgators had their thing at Wesley and it seemed to be a pretty popular spot.

There is a population out there that TU is missing...and that is young alumni and their families. There are so many freaking alumni I know that don't go to games. It's not being marketed and they're not being invited back to campus to be a part of it.

TU 31
Wyo 20

Tulsa County 646,000
Wyoming 577,000

Tulsa Metro 1,150,000

GO TU!!!!!
Another perspective
Your attendance vs. OSU - 28,612
Our attendance vs. Idaho - 28,814

I hope for a good game with no injuries. Wish I was making the trip.

We've covered this. The majority of Tulsans, as sports fans, suck. We could have run OSU back to Stillwater last week and we'd have barely a tick over 20k at this week's game and that's with OU on a bye week and OSU in Austin. If we play more games against Louisiana North South east and Western Wear U or against Arkansas State and blow them out...the excuse will be you are playing weak opponents and we're not interested. We can bring in Big XII teams and the only additional fans will be theirs...and if we lose, the excuse will be TU is not good enough. Tulsans have an excuse to not actually go to a game every time. Tomorrow's will be "it might be rainy". If it were sunny, the excuse will be "it's too hot". Never mind they'd gladly pay $85 for a ticket to an OU game in Norman, and it could 150 degrees in the stadium and they'd be playing the South Dakota Sisters of the Poor Convent. Let's go ahead and grip about the parking...I showed up 20 minutes before kick and parked a 5 minute walk to the stadium, on campus and didn't pay to park. My wife showed up 15 minutes in and also got a free parking spot about 2-3 minutes further....still on campus. Gripe about atmosphere...Chapman Commons had a pretty good thing going on last weekend. Campus had tons of people around. Tailgators had their thing at Wesley and it seemed to be a pretty popular spot.

There is a population out there that TU is missing...and that is young alumni and their families. There are so many freaking alumni I know that don't go to games. It's not being marketed and they're not being invited back to campus to be a part of it.

This attitude is not beneficial.

Nor is that what I was talking about. Consistently winning is required. They pay 85$ to see OU because OU wins 90% of their games and have since a 47 game win streak.

Tulsa has two 3-9 seasons and almost as many 10 win seasons as losing seasons over the last decade. That can change. Should we begin to win consistently facing regional opponent means their fans, our fans being able to attend both games (even at OU, OSU, and Arkansas) which creates the sort of connection and pull you want to the school. With a small alumni base we must depend on the local fan and creating a connection to the school they don't have. Which is why local recruiting and the tank of gas is important. Local kids with local following bring local fans. Playing games against teams in those areas or regions helps us recruit those kids and fill in the holes our small alumni base creates.

But I completely agree the school is missing the young alumni and that is a huge issue. Unfortunately our young alumni are not enough by themselves to truly help our attendance. I'm pretty sure a jilted lover attitude about the local fan choosing other teams, in particular winning teams isn't helpful to fixing it either.

I appreciate your passion. I agree with your fanatical support of the school.

I wish football coaches were required to wear a player uniform like baseball because it is so practical ; )

Funny thing is, Monty usually does the walk to the stadium in a suit jacket. I wish he would just leave it on during the game. He looks snazzy. It would make him stand out, especially if it caught on with recruits. (Like Tressel and his Tie / Vest combo's that he used to wear at Ohio State)

You could go with a Schnellenberger look too.
Coach-S.-Runs-Out-Web.jpg

Or a more modern PJ Fleck

PJFleck640.png

Just try to avoid being Al Golden:

USATSI_8880155.jpg

Last edited:
Another perspective

Cheapest tickets for Tulsa vs OSU $90.00
The school potentially raked in $2,500,000 in that one game. Plus several $100,000 in concessions.

GO TU!!!!

Cheapest tickets for Tulsa vs OSU $90.00
The school potentially raked in $2,500,000 in that one game. Plus several $100,000 in concessions.

GO TU!!!!

$90 wasn’t the cheapest tickets. For the Family Fun Zone, Adults were $12.50 and kids were $6.

End Zone was $75.

Dumbest thing ever was Casey Stengel wearing a baseball uniform as he slept on the bench of Mets games.

Reactions: bluegold70
Another perspective

I would love to visit your state sometime, its a beautiful state

Funny thing is, Monty usually does the walk to the stadium in a suit jacket. I wish he would just leave it on during the game. He looks snazzy. It would make him stand out, especially if it caught on with recruits. (Like Tressel and his Tie / Vest combo's that he used to wear at Ohio State)

You could go with a Schnellenberger look too.
Coach-S.-Runs-Out-Web.jpg

Or a more modern PJ Fleck

PJFleck640.png

Just try to avoid being Al Golden:

USATSI_8880155.jpg
Schnellenberger....Hahaha. So in 1993 he brought Louisville to Skelly on Thanksgiving. Howard. Ones out wearing a bright red sweater over a shirt and tie. Starts walking down towards me and a couple of friends and we start singing “Here comes Santa Claus”. Tells us to STFU and then tells the Kentucky state trooper to come tell us to stop. Trooper comes over and stands in front of us and tells us that we made him laugh but he needs to look like he’s doing his job.

That was the game where Jeremy Bunch shoved Jeff Brohm right when he got to the sideline. Brohm tried to hurdle the metal bench and caught his toe and hit the concrete stadium wall in Skelly and was knocked out cold.

Reactions: Weatherdemon
Why are we suddenly so concerned with how the coach dresses? I want him to win not be a fashion plate. I'm not for flip flops and a bath robe, but coach attire varies quite a bit everywhere.

I don't care how they dress. Hell...if we are winning the coach can wear a dress!!
I am damn sick and tired of being a gracious loser!!! I'm ready to try being an obnoxious winner!!! If Monty don't start winning then he can get the hell outta Dodge and we can hire Graham or Briles or anyone who knows how to put W's on the board!!
Boys, I'm one pissed off blue hair!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT