ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive game-plan vs UH?

Oct 21, 2017
Sounds like a strong possibility that Boomer gets the start. He seems like he has some arm talent (over 2,000 yds passing his senior yr). 2nd year in the program so should be familiar with offense (a couple TD passes in Aug scrimmage).

I expect the week off to give the O-line time to work out the kinks, there were supposed to good entering the year.

Do you think we go more ball control/run-centric play-calling?
Or
Do you guys think that Montgomery will let the kid air it out a bit?

(anyone seeing any practice reports out there?)

Sounds like a strong possibility that Boomer gets the start. He seems like he has some arm talent (over 2,000 yds passing his senior yr). 2nd year in the program so should be familiar with offense (a couple TD passes in Aug scrimmage).

I expect the week off to give the O-line time to work out the kinks, there were supposed to good entering the year.

Do you think we go more ball control/run-centric play-calling?
Or
Do you guys think that Montgomery will let the kid air it out a bit?

(anyone seeing any practice reports out there?)
Gotta let the kid air it out a bit early. Soften the D. Hit em hard with the run down the stretch.

I haven’t seen much from Monty in the last year plus to make me believe we will see footballs flying through the air downfield. I expect a heavy dose of the ground game in an effort to control the clock. Basically....more of the same...and that gives us our best chance to win imo

I haven’t seen much from Monty in the last year plus to make me believe we will see footballs flying through the air downfield. I expect a heavy dose of the ground game in an effort to control the clock. Basically....more of the same...and that gives us our best chance to win imo
More of the same makes me sick. They will most certainly load the box. IMO, we need to let the kid throw early and often, especially on first down. 1on 1 coverage everywhere. We need to hit them with some big plays early and hammer them with the run as the game moves along.

Scared to death we will run it up the middle against a stacked box on first and second. Then we put the kid in 3rd and 8 with them blitzing. It's not a recipe for success. Need something creative to loosen them up. Please tell me that Monty came up with something creative during the bye week?

Reactions: TUGrad06
More of the same makes me sick. They will most certainly load the box. IMO, we need to let the kid throw early and often, especially on first down. 1on 1 coverage everywhere. We need to hit them with some big plays early and hammer them with the run as the game moves along.

Scared to death we will run it up the middle against a stacked box on first and second. Then we put the kid in 3rd and 8 with them blitzing. It's not a recipe for success. Need something creative to loosen them up. Please tell me that Monty came up with something creative during the bye week?
I hope we throw 3 medium to long passes the very first drive.

But Monty is Monty, so run over center, run over guard, throw a 2 yard quick hitch (on 3rd and 5), punt.

You all seen anything to make you think an air raid offense will be successful?

How about we throw short quick passes, let our offensive line grind out some runs, and try to hit a deep play action every series or two?

See a lot of fans bitching about us running. Guess what, it's one of the few things we do well.

I will be happy to see us execute poitive plays and then successfully line up and run a non negative play after.

Anymore catches for good gains followed by fumbles.....

Anymore successful 3rd down conversions followed by illegal substitutions....

Anymore 4th and a half yard tries broken by a false start penalty...

And I will shut off the game and await the litney of excuses that better players (who aren't making the decisions costing us games) are the issues.

I predict we will continue to shoot ourselves in the foot. Appear to give ourselves a chance to come back, before succumbing to the unavoidable self inflicted death blow.

We ran it down their throats last year with a stacked box. Ed Oliver had one of his worst games as a college football player in that game. Bowling and Miller handled him pretty easily that game. So much so, Oliver didn't play much of the 4th quarter after the game was decided.

If Houston stacks the box with the LBs cheating towards the middle, expect a lot of stretch plays, QB keepers, and screen passes. If that gets Houston to get the OLBs to line up wider to stop those plays, we start running the middle again. Monty's offense is extremely flexible in that way. Read what the defense is doing and go away from the strength.

If Houston stacks the box with the LBs cheating towards the middle, expect a lot of stretch plays, QB keepers, and screen passes. If that gets Houston to get the OLBs to line up wider to stop those plays, we start running the middle again. Monty's offense is extremely flexible in that way. Read what the defense is doing and go away from the strength.
If Monty’s offense wrote a creative Tinder profile for itself, this is what it would say.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmullinsTU
You all seen anything to make you think an air raid offense will be successful?

How about we throw short quick passes, let our offensive line grind out some runs, and try to hit a deep play action every series or two?

See a lot of fans bitching about us running. Guess what, it's one of the few things we do well.

I will be happy to see us execute poitive plays and then successfully line up and run a non negative play after.

Anymore catches for good gains followed by fumbles.....

Anymore successful 3rd down conversions followed by illegal substitutions....

Anymore 4th and a half yard tries broken by a false start penalty...

And I will shut off the game and await the litney of excuses that better players (who aren't making the decisions costing us games) are the issues.

I predict we will continue to shoot ourselves in the foot. Appear to give ourselves a chance to come back, before succumbing to the unavoidable self inflicted death blow.
We would be sitting with 3 or 4 wins if we had executed the above plan reasonably well.

Reactions: TU 1978
Offensive game plan - Monty asked Dave Radar to be OC for this game and he installed the wishbone this week. Chad President at QB, Javon Thomas at FB and Shamari Brooks and Corey Taylor II at HB’s. This Boomer and Skipper thing is just to confuse everyone but don’t tell UH.

Offensive game plan - Monty asked Dave Radar to be OC for this game and he installed the wishbone this week. Chad President at QB, Javon Thomas at FB and Shamari Brooks and Corey Taylor II at HB’s. This Boomer and Skipper thing is just to confuse everyone but don’t tell UH.

If we could have the same results under Monty in year 4, that Rader had in year 4, we would all be very happy.

TU finished 10 -2, and ranked somewhere around #21 in the nation in Rader's 4th year.

Reactions: TU 1978
I'm way too drunk to be googling things... Might end up getting investigated by the FBI on behalf of the Senate or something...

Reactions: Chris Harmon
If we could have the same results under Monty in year 4, that Rader had in year 4, we would all be very happy.

TU finished 10 -2, and ranked somewhere around #21 in the nation in Rader's 4th year.
Then the administration pulled the curriculum rug out from under him . Then no more Mike White's, Jerry O, Tracy Scroggins , Minter,J R Rubley's ,Chris Penn , etc.

Reactions: TU4ever2 and TUMU
Then the administration pulled the curriculum rug out from under him . Then no more Mike White's, Jerry O, Tracy Scroggins , Minter,J R Rubley's ,Chris Penn , etc.

That Soviet Studies program is really making a name for itself though.

OMG! I found a copy of the game plan blowing around on the internet, I think Alexa was on and accidentally transcribed and posted it. Don't tell Houston, but here's the plan:

Now-w the success of any team men is based on team-play -- the same as you've shown all year --: Sacrifice; unselfish sacrifice! These are the fellows they say are pretty good; but I think we're better! And I think if we get ourselves keyed up to a point, and when we're confident of that ... why-y-y the results will take care of themselves.

On the kickoff -- if we receive, the zone men will drop back to the receiver and block long -- that old Tulsa style. If we kickoff -- which the rest of the teams want -- let's run down fast -- just as fast as you can run. And then we go on defense. And on defense -- I want the center in and out of that line -- according to the situation. Use your old head! And I want you guards charging through as far as you can go -- on every play. Expect the play right over you every time --.

And the tackles -- I want you to go in a yard and a half -- and then check yourselves. Spread your feet -- squat down low -- and be ready with your hands and elbows, so you won't be sideswiped. But I want the ends in there fast every play. Every play, but under control. And you men in the backfield there, I want you to analyze it before you move. If they throw a forward pass, a zone pass, wait ‘til you see the ball in the air -- and then go and get it! And when we get it, boys, that's when we go on offense. And that's when we go to ‘em -- and, don't forget, we're gonna pick on one last one tackle that is weak.

We're going inside of ‘em, we're going outside of ‘em -- inside of ‘em! outside of ‘em! -- and when we get them on the run once, we're going to keep ‘em on the run. And we're not going to pass unless their secondary comes up too close. But don't forget, men -- we're gonna get ‘em on the run, we're gonna go, go, go, go! -- and we aren't going to stop until we go over that goal line! And don't forget, men -- today is the day we're gonna win. They can't lick us -- and that's how it goes... The first platoon men -- go in there and fight, fight, fight, fight, fight! What do you say, men!

To my eye one of Skippers biggest limitations is his deep ball. He has been decent in quick game and good at extending plays with his feet. But hasn’t helped us capitalize on big plays because we either miss or we throw a pick. If coach believes Boomer gives us better big play potential then let’s see it. Pound the ball and then take shots. And let’s hope our wideouts compete for the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT