ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Games Thread

Iowa, down by as many as 25 in the first half (21 at halftime), is down 1 with 3 min left.

Now going to OT. Awesome game

Last edited:
Iowa, down by as many as 25 in the first half (21 at halftime), is down 1 with 3 min left.

Now going to OT. Awesome game

Tennessee has 1 4-star on the team and he’s a frosh and doesn’t play much. The others are all 3-stars (Williams, Scofield, Bone, Bowden, Turner, Alexander) and only 1 of those was a top 150 (Bone #146).

Great, great job of evaluating talent. You don’t need 4-stars when you evacuate this good.

Tennessee has 1 4-star on the team and he’s a frosh and doesn’t play much. The others are all 3-stars (Williams, Scofield, Bone, Bowden, Turner, Alexander) and only 1 of those was a top 150 (Bone #146).

Great, great job of evaluating talent. You don’t need 4-stars when you evacuate this good.
Bomb threat? Why did they evacuate?

Reactions: Bill Lowery
Lots of Tech fans here. Weird because the lower bowl behind the media table looks pretty sparse but there are a ton of people in the upper bowl. And I don’t think the Ohio State or Houston fans have shown up yet, at least in force.

Buffalo playing tight right now. They’ve missed some easy layups and passing up shots they normally take.

Tough no call for UCF. Dawkins got shoved under the basket on the offensive rebound that gave Duke the lead. UCF has gotten some calls though.

With Buffalo getting skunked I'm hoping Liberty and/or UC Irvine are the surprise Cinderella's this year.

They need to call this Buffalo game. Somebody gettin hurt.

With Buffalo getting skunked I'm hoping Liberty and/or UC Irvine are the surprise Cinderella's this year.
Worst Buffalo has played all season. They are one of the better 3pt shooting teams in the country and they came out chucking up bricks from inside, outside, and the foul line.

Fans in the BOK were definitely pulling for UCF. Large groan when they showed the last few seconds and the missed Taylor shot.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Texas Tech is incredibly balanced. They can hit you from anywhere and with anyone really.

Somebody slap these stupid refs. Once the game got over 20 pts, stop blowing the whistle except for egregious and obvious fouls that alter the course of action. Should have been a running clock with 10 left

Reactions: Gold*
Very few second round Houston fans to be this close. Is basketball not important down there ? Great fans this weekend from Iowa State and Texas Tech.

Reactions: TU_BLA
So by my estimation, Ohio State may have 300 fans here, Houston about 2500 (maybe a few more that are scattered and not in the Houston section). Everyone else seem to be leftovers from game 1.

This is where the pod system has hurt arenas. In the old format, teams, especially the winners, had a vested interest in the other games of the the sessions because you would eventually be playing one of those teams in the next round(s).

BTW, Houston fans can no longer act like the king of the world. They don’t travel all that well to big events. And Houston to Tulsa is an easy trip especially when plenty of the pundits are talking about your team as a closet pick for the Final Four.

I really like Kelvin’s defensive philosophy against OhSt big man...double fast and make him uncomfortable. The double comes from the same place every time and the big guy is getting lost on who’s open. The double comes lightning fast.

Never realized Brooks was so fast.

Sampson gets his guys to play so hard. Even during the stretch that he didn't like their effort I thought they were playing really hard

Reactions: ctt8410
Very few second round Houston fans to be this close. Is basketball not important down there ? Great fans this weekend from Iowa State and Texas Tech.

Football is s bigger deal in Texas than basketball, and I think Houston fancies themselves as a football school.

Texas high schools that play early season games up here will bring more fans than Houston basketball did this weekend.

Interesting fact: If Houston holds on to win, 14 of the top 16 seeds will move on to the Sweet 16. The only 2 missing are Kansas and Kansas State.

Kansas looked pretty average this year, plus the ncaa is sniffing around. Phoggy hasn’t been seen around here in ages.

Coincidence?

Reactions: TU_BLA
Dullest tourney in years

Interesting fact: If Houston holds on to win, 14 of the top 16 seeds will move on to the Sweet 16. The only 2 missing are Kansas and Kansas State.
Hold the presses Tulsa World, I actually agree with Common FAN.(Despite the fact that he was just trollin.) With one small caveat. After the first round, this was one of the dullest tourney's in years. First round was great.

When the Cinderella of the Ball is Oregon, and only Oregon in the Sweet Sixteen. then it gets a little dull. Gawd I was pulling for UC Irvine as the last hope. Cincy and Duke was a great game though. Can't get much more exciting than that game.

I wonder how the ncaa and Tulsa Sports Commission felt about the event. Attendance was down by 1 to 2 thousand for the Friday games. Not sure yet about today.

Last time we had second lowest attendance of any venue. Wonder how it will look this time?

I wonder how the ncaa and Tulsa Sports Commission felt about the event. Attendance was down by 1 to 2 thousand for the Friday games. Not sure yet about today.

Last time we had second lowest attendance of any venue. Wonder how it will look this time?
Do you remember who had the lowest?

The sports commission failed by not telling Iowa State to double the big OSU post man. Cost them the game easily. Kelvin doubled him almost every time. Losing Iowa State may have cost us not only huge city dollars but a bid in the future.

The sports commission failed by not telling Iowa State to double the big OSU post man. Cost them the game easily. Kelvin doubled him almost every time. Losing Iowa State may have cost us not only huge city dollars but a bid in the future.
Like I said, the Houston double team was immediate and swift and it fell on a specific person. They made him very uncomfortable in the post and he didn’t always find an outlet.

Houston is really good. (God it sucks to admit that)

Dullest tourney in years

Hold the presses Tulsa World, I actually agree with Common FAN.(Despite the fact that he was just trollin.) With one small caveat. After the first round, this was one of the dullest tourney's in years. First round was great.

When the Cinderella of the Ball is Oregon, and only Oregon in the Sweet Sixteen. then it gets a little dull. Gawd I was pulling for UC Irvine as the last hope. Cincy and Duke was a great game though. Can't get much more exciting than that game.
That UCI/Oregon game was just flat out weird to watch. Oregon up big in the first half, and then UCI holds them scoreless in the 2nd half for like 8 minutes and takes a 2 point lead, then Oregon goes on a huge run. I’ve seen runs and changes in Mo but nothing like this.

I think we need a break from bidding in the next cycle. But as I understand it attendance is not the highest priority in evaluating the buds.

Both have important players missing/hurt from their team that changes what they have done much of the season to earn those seeds.

Lots of close calls though and the gap is definitely closing a 16 didn't beat a 1 but several played them very well and might have snuck a win if UMBC had not been a giant dog whistle to teams looking ahead.

The round of 32 this year was the first time in more than 30 years where no underdog won a game.

It was bound to happen at some point. My guess is just a fluke.

I think we need a break from bidding in the next cycle. But as I understand it attendance is not the highest priority in evaluating the buds.

It wasn't the fault of the BOK that Iowa State went home early. It's just hard to bring a midwest/southwest crowd in driving distance who draws well. It probably limits us to Iowa, Iowa State, Wichita, Creighton, Kansas State, Kansas, Arkansas, Missouri, SMU, TCU, Texas Tech, Iowa State , Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Memphis. And those have to be in the tournament and fit the seeding criteria.

It wasn't the fault of the BOK that Iowa State went home early. It's just hard to bring a midwest/southwest crowd in driving distance who draws well. It probably limits us to Iowa, Iowa State, Wichita, Creighton, Kansas State, Kansas, Arkansas, Missouri, SMU, TCU, Texas Tech, Iowa State , Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Memphis. And those have to be in the tournament and fit the seeding criteria.
Crappy thing is Houston should have been able to make up for that. I don't care how much Fertita spends on them trying to make them relevant, they're not, at least in terms of the revenue they can bring to a conference by fans. Heck, they had a brand new building this year and couldn't fill it regularly. At least when we were that good the Reynold's Center was capacity/near capacity for every single game.

Crappy thing is Houston should have been able to make up for that. I don't care how much Fertita spends on them trying to make them relevant, they're not, at least in terms of the revenue they can bring to a conference by fans. Heck, they had a brand new building this year and couldn't fill it regularly. At least when we were that good the Reynold's Center was capacity/near capacity for every single game.

7/8 final games were sell outs in the Fertita center. The one game was 6300 in just over 7,000 seat areana, against ECU. They had 9 sellouts and only two games below 6,000 after opening the place.

Not perfect but it's not as if the place was completely empty. It will take them some time to build up, harder to do that with the Rockets winning and all the other pulls of a huge city.

I feel dirty because of this, it's not a defense of coogs just the actual numbers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT