ADVERTISEMENT

Naming Rights

TU_BLA

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Colorado State just sold their naming rights for $37.7M for a 15 year deal. Surely, TU has someone in the community (ahem, QT) who would love to throw their name on Chapman Stadium.

Reactions: Glasscain
I think we’ve discussed before that QT doesn’t really have an interest in partnering with TU on that scale. That’s with me if they continue to promote The Folds of Honor Foundation at the level they do. They do the pocket schedules and such, but who knows what the future holds.

Reactions: 4tu2
I’m not sure naming rights are an option for us since we put the name of a charitable foundation on ours... plus it took some buttering up of the skelly family for that to even happen.

It would definitely be an easy was to bring in revenue, but I don’t see it happening, unfortunately.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Pretty sure the Chapman foundation’s major gift counts as naming rights.
What was the gift, $15M, that gets you 5 years and we're 10+ years in at this point. We need a new, larger video board, a 2nd video board on the north end and some needed enhancements to the dilapidated restrooms and concessions that are part of the original structure. An additional structure linking the east stands and the Don Rey that can house a TU Hall of Fame accessible by both a basketball and football attendees and maybe some additional boxes and suites OR a canopy structure like you see in today's soccer specific stadiums (and Miami Landshark/Joe Robbie/insert new name here). Surely, if you can sell naming rights of something in any of those projects for $30-50M, you can add a clearly seen ad for the buyer to the stadium.

all great suggestions for the stadium improvements, add: bowling in the South end zone, not so hard to do with $$

Reactions: rusty-c
All those ideas are great... and $50 million for naming rights would likely pay for a majority of those items. Unfortunately, they’ll be locked away in an architecture firm’s files along with a few other add-ons to the stadium that we’ll likely never see.

Problem: we aren't getting enough butts in the seats.

Solution: Add more seats by bowling in the end zone!

14ofkr.jpg

So the social media marketing guy, Sam, just tweeted out a picture of a 120' screen at the Reynold's Center for the athletics banquet. I replied, half jokingly, it'd be nice to have one of those bad boys on top of the Case Center for those of us in the South end zone. His reply was that one wouldn't work because it utilized multiple projectors to splice an image onto the screen.BUT he wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of addition to Case (followed by a wink emoji). Maybe there are plans to make the fan experience better.

So the social media marketing guy, Sam, just tweeted out a picture of a 120' screen at the Reynold's Center for the athletics banquet. I replied, half jokingly, it'd be nice to have one of those bad boys on top of the Case Center for those of us in the South end zone. His reply was that one wouldn't work because it utilized multiple projectors to splice an image onto the screen.BUT he wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of addition to Case (followed by a wink emoji). Maybe there are plans to make the fan experience better.

It would be nice if it was the case addition that had been rumored a while back. It would be a great step in bringing our facilities in line with the rest of the conference

Problem: we aren't getting enough butts in the seats.

Solution: Add more seats by bowling in the end zone!

14ofkr.jpg

Yes and no... but by that line of thinking, we should have torn out the entire east side and added a parking lot specifically for the whiners.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Most of it is paid for by boosters. We get an invite every year and the amount they charge patrons to attend is pretty high for Sodexo catered food.
Still, that donation money could be going to better places.

Still, that donation money could be going to better places.
They're buying tickets to that event to support that event. I don't think they're actually spending as much on it as you think they might be. And you don't know how much Sodexo donated or discounted their standard catering rates, which they almost always do for TU events. A lot of vendors donate services as part of their advertising dollars and support to athletics and other areas of campus.

I don't know what the situation is now, but back in the day the Arkansas state Legislature passed a law that required the Hogs to play a certain number of games in Little Rock in addition to the regular home schedule in Fayettville. In order to meet that requirement the Hogs had to find a patsy (us) who would agree to play every year in Arkansas. Their only interest in playing us (other than a sure win) was that we never insisted on a return game.

I remember that. But it is interesting that Arkansas since has agree to play road games, occasionally, against lesser opponents than TU. They are just a bunch of hypocrites. They can't stand the thought of playing in Tulsa. They will never, ever, come to Tulsa to play football.

We didn't sell out an OU home game a few years ago. Everyone can forget about the stadium ever expanding.

Let’s be honest... it wouldn’t expand regardless. Our aim low strategy hasn’t done us any favors.

Yeah I don’t see much need for a stadium expansion, but it’s true that most things we do signal “small time” to people trying to decide whether we’re worth watching. Some things have improved recently, others not so much. Graham, for all his faults, did a great job of influencing people to think we’re not “just Tulsa” for a time.

Last edited:
Yeah I don’t see much need for a stadium expansion, but it’s true that most things we do signal “small time” to people trying to decide whether we’re worth watching. Some things have improved recently, others not so much. Graham, for all his faults, did a great job of influencing people to think we’re not “just Tulsa” for a time.

You’re right on all accounts.

Unfortunately I agree - Arkansas dodged a bullet and we took it straight to the head in that situation.
Think they knew what they were doing when they went another direction. Interview the guy you want and a logical and connected patsy and the decision for their board was an easy one and were still stuck.

Reactions: goldenhurricane2
Think they knew what they were doing when they went another direction. Interview the guy you want and a logical and connected patsy and the decision for their board was an easy one and were still stuck.

Oh I’m sure you’re right. We need a charismatic guy in the AD seat. Someone who isn’t afraid to be visible in the community and who can connect with the community on different levels. Bubba wasn’t perfect, but he did it pretty well, I miss him. Point is, we need someone who gives a darn about the big picture rather than someone who’s all in on compliance issues and paperwork in their office 90% of the time. Hell I’ve seen Gerry at more TU events than Gragg... that’s pretty telling.

Oh I’m sure you’re right. We need a charismatic guy in the AD seat. Someone who isn’t afraid to be visible in the community and who can connect with the community on different levels. Bubba wasn’t perfect, but he did it pretty well, I miss him. Point is, we need someone who gives a darn about the big picture rather than someone who’s all in on compliance issues and paperwork in their office 90% of the time. Hell I’ve seen Gerry at more TU events than Gragg... that’s pretty telling.
It's too bad that Ross Parmley had his demons in the closet because he was a pretty charismatic guy who was comfortable shaking hands and asking for money, but also knew the athletics business as well and had worked his way up. He was also well connected within the OK high school athletic scene. Gragg was an over-reaction to needing a tough compliance guy coming off of an AD who was under the table gambling on college athletics with a mobster.

Gragg was an over-reaction to needing a tough compliance guy coming off of an AD who was under the table gambling on college athletics with a mobster.

That’s true and then some on top of that... Gragg fit all the checkboxes TU wanted in an AD but what looks good on paper doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to work out in the real world.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT