ADVERTISEMENT

Montgomery Era

Thank god Galloghy is bringing some fiscal corporate sense to higher education in this state.

We need a medical school that causes of us having to lay off and cut severely in every other school? To the point our university is in a very serious financial state?

“We need a med program”??????

Gallogy, the OU guy?

You realize that we're private and whatever OU is doing they have the state to cover it?

We're a private university that has opperated for over a century? In other words we are a successful business over 100 years old.

The school is not collapsing. It's not getting some revenue it expected and it's expenses were larger than we planned for. The change is the University making sure it's fiscally responsible since there won't be any state to save them.

Some of you have a very warped view of the school and it's relationship to the city.

That museum is the number 1 museum for western hemisphere art and native artificats. It is a crown jewel of the city.

Tulsa was founded to educate native women. It was moved to Tulsa and became the center for higher learning to educate the best of Tulsa. That a native museum in it's city was in trouble and the University took action is the right decision.

The university continuing to expand and encourage more local students to attend is a good thing, in established programs or new ones that fill a need.

Reactions: Barlass and TU_BLA
TU needs a med program... it's a HUGE step for a university and it's good that we can piggyback off of OU's licensing and accreditation while starting our own.

Tulsa needs a pass rush, line backers that can tackle, and an offensive line that can get a decent line push.

Oh, also a true point guard and a 7’2” center that can run the floor.

TU recently joined in with a group of other colleges and universities in the area to make an easier path for TCC students to transfer to TU. In my opinion, TCC is an untapped gold mine (in regard to partnership). I’m sure it would drop our rankings in several ways, but I’ve often wondered if it would be a good move for TU to see if taking over TCC were an option. The university of Arkansas operates in this way. Fayetteville has a little less than 20k students, but the university of Arkansas system is MASSIVE and includes many community colleges throughout the state.

Obviously that’s not the exact model we could or should follow, but it is something to think about. It would increase alumni by huge amounts almost instantly and would likely help re-root TU in the community.

Just a thought.

Reactions: TU Man
TU recently joined in with a group of other colleges and universities in the area to make an easier path for TCC students to transfer to TU. In my opinion, TCC is an untapped gold mine (in regard to partnership). I’m sure it would drop our rankings in several ways, but I’ve often wondered if it would be a good move for TU to see if taking over TCC were an option. The university of Arkansas operates in this way. Fayetteville has a little less than 20k students, but the university of Arkansas system is MASSIVE and includes many community colleges throughout the state.

Obviously that’s not the exact model we could or should follow, but it is something to think about. It would increase alumni by huge amounts almost instantly and would likely help re-root TU in the community.

Just a thought.
They should start with accepting grades from retaken summer classes at TCC.

That wasn’t really where I was going with it.
Lol. Well, it’s been a thorn in the side of students and the athletic department alike. You can’t retake classes at community colleges that you’ve already taken at TU (and I believe that goes for classes previously taken at any four year university) even if they’re taught in the exact same manner. It’s part of the reason why we’ve had trouble getting transfers eligible

Lol. Well, it’s been a thorn in the side of students and the athletic department alike. You can’t retake classes at community colleges that you’ve already taken at TU (and I believe that goes for classes previously taken at any four year university) even if they’re taught in the exact same manner. It’s part of the reason why we’ve had trouble getting transfers eligible

When did this start? I was able to retake microeconomics at TCC back in 2006 and replace a withdrawal.

When did this start? I was able to retake microeconomics at TCC back in 2006 and replace a withdrawal.
I was after you. Also, it might have something to do with it being a withdrawl instead of just a lower grade class. I was trying to replace a C in Calc 1 from my freshman 1st semester (way too much partying going on that year). No dice. Retake it at TU for way more money was my only option.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
I was after you. Also, it might have something to do with it being a withdrawl instead of just a lower grade class. I was trying to replace a C in Calc 1 from my freshman 1st semester (way too much partying going on that year). No dice. Retake it at TU for way more money was my only option.
This doesn’t strike me as unfair or wrong. I’d be kinda mad if you could rehab a bad grade at an easier place. Why should any of us bother putting in the work at TU?

Reactions: 4tu2 and JesseTU
This doesn’t strike me as unfair or wrong. I’d be kinda mad if you could rehab a bad grade at an easier place. Why should any of us bother putting in the work at TU?
If you're going to accept someone's transfer credits for taking the class in the first place from a place like TCC then what's the difference?

I knew several people who took classes at "easier places" in the summer in order to not have to take them at TU because they were harder (Thermodynamics comes to mind). I don't see a difference in that and what I was retaking. Plus, Calc is Calc, pretty much anywhere you take it.

I think there should be some opportunity for people to be able to take things in the summer without having to pay to remain in Tulsa if they live elsewhere.

If they're going to continue that practice, I would advise any college age student to not take a single class at TU until their Junior year.

Last edited:
If you're going to accept someone's transfer credits for taking the class in the first place from a place like TCC then what's the difference?

I knew several people who took classes at "easier places" in the summer in order to not have to take them at TU because they were harder (Thermodynamics comes to mind). I don't see a difference in that and what I was retaking. Plus, Calc is Calc, pretty much anywhere you take it.

I think there should be some opportunity for people to be able to take things in the summer without having to pay to remain in Tulsa if they live elsewhere.

If they're going to continue that practice, I would advise any college age student to not take a single class at TU until their Junior year.
If you really think you don’t learn more in a TU class than at a TCC class then we have a problem. I never took a class at TCC but I went to a large, very highly rated public school (not in OK) for a year and learned more in my TU classes.

An A at TCC is like a “B or better” at TU. If you got a C at TU then you’ve proven yourself barely able to do the work. That’s a strong presumption. We shouldn’t let you wipe that away without proving that you’re actually able to perform better. You don’t get that at TCC. If you’re taking the class the first time at TCC then you don’t have that presumption against you.

When I was at TU you could transfer credits but not grades. That makes sense. I imagine we let people transfer because we can’t afford not to, not because we think it’s a good idea.

If you really think you don’t learn more in a TU class than at a TCC class then we have a problem. I never took a class at TCC but I went to a large, very highly rated public school (not in OK) for a year and learned more in my TU classes.

An A at TCC is like a “B or better” at TU. If you got a C at TU then you’ve proven yourself barely able to do the work. That’s a strong presumption. We shouldn’t let you wipe that away without proving that you’re actually able to perform better. You don’t get that at TCC. If you’re taking the class the first time at TCC then you don’t have that presumption against you.

When I was at TU you could transfer credits but not grades. That makes sense. I imagine we let people transfer because we can’t afford not to, not because we think it’s a good idea.

I'm honestly not sure about how they assess your GPA after transferring from TCC (or elsewhere). What I do know is that it can make your GPA look tremendously inflated if they don't display your GPA from elsewhere.

I also know that I got much better grades as I progressed through Calc II, III, DiffEQ, and Stats. So letting me retake Calc I elsewhere instead of keeping me in University longer so I could up that grade as well as a couple others didn't hurt anybody or devalue anyone's else's efforts. It was just a moneygrab by TU. They don't care about the integrity of their classes as much as they do about how much juice they can squeeze out of the fruit.

TU currently has a Zero Tuition Summer Pricing Policy for Freshman that completed less than 30 hours or Sophomores that completed less than 60.

Students that meet these criteria can take up to 9 hours free in the summer. Students that don't meet the criteria can take summer classes for half price.

The goal is to get you out in 4 years.

I'm honestly not sure about how they assess your GPA after transferring from TCC (or elsewhere). What I do know is that it can make your GPA look tremendously inflated if they don't display your GPA from elsewhere.

I also know that I got much better grades as I progressed through Calc II, III, DiffEQ, and Stats. So letting me retake Calc I elsewhere instead of keeping me in University longer so I could up that grade as well as a couple others didn't hurt anybody or devalue anyone's else's efforts. It was just a moneygrab by TU. They don't care about the integrity of their classes as much as they do about how much juice they can squeeze out of the fruit.
I think their concern isn’t people who do badly somewhere else, but are still able to get in, and the do well at TU. The concern is people who load up on fluff classes at Podunk CC and end up with an inflated GPA because they killed it before TU. If your TU GPA doesn’t mean anything, and you don’t learn more at TU than at Rodgers State or Arkansas, then why would anyone come to TU? I’m convinced that my TU education was better than I would have gotten at the place I went first. If you don’t think so, then why the hell did you waste your money going to TU at all? Do you think classes at say Harvard are better than TCC or do you think all classes are the same no matter where you are?

How bad is Tulsa football that a football thread turns into a thread about the University taking over a public community college?

Also for the record, my comment wasn’t nearly as asine as other posters who said they’d rather have Art Briles as head coach (along with what was said after that).

I think their concern isn’t people who do badly somewhere else, but are still able to get in, and the do well at TU. The concern is people who load up on fluff classes at Podunk CC and end up with an inflated GPA because they killed it before TU. If your TU GPA doesn’t mean anything, and you don’t learn more at TU than at Rodgers State or Arkansas, then why would anyone come to TU? I’m convinced that my TU education was better than I would have gotten at the place I went first. If you don’t think so, then why the hell did you waste your money going to TU at all? Do you think classes at say Harvard are better than TCC or do you think all classes are the same no matter where you are?
That's not what I said. TU GPA is VERY important. And coming in with a bunch of credits that don't have TCC grade points associated with your TU GPA (a bunch of B's or C's from TCC) is much worse than actually counting grades from TCC with the credits. It can make it look to employers like you got a 4.0 when really you barely scraped by in your first two years at JUCO, then transferred in, (unless they were looking directly at your transcripts from both colleges which is quite rare). I feel like it devalued the difficulty of the classes we took at TU. Someone from TCC could walk in without a blemish to their name in their Junior year, when we had to struggle through harder courses early on.

I wouldn't have traded Sedimentary Geology or Production Engineering II or Completions Engineering for any class offered at TCC... but there were a couple lower level courses that I didn't feel were worth the money I paid because other people got to count passing (with an unknown GPA) the same classes without it counting to their TU GPA.

If you're going to count TCC classes for credit, their grades need to be associated with that credit, and TU students need to be able to use the same level of classes to help their GPA in the summer as TCC students who transfer in can.

TU won't do it, because it devalues their summer courses monetarily.

Last edited:
We don't have to take over tcc.

I would like to see us offer tcc students discounted tickets. First two tickets could be like five dollars a piece and ten dollars a ticket after. That's a ton of local people who would then be exposed to TU athletics and who are likely to remain local. At that price even parents back in school could probably swing $30 to go with the spouse and kids. I wouldn't mind seeing dollar tickets to our other less popular sports available for them.

I would like to see us offer tcc students discounted tickets. First two tickets could be like five dollars a piece and ten dollars a ticket after. That's a ton of local people who would then be exposed to TU athletics and who are likely to remain local. At that price even parents back in school could probably swing $30 to go with the spouse and kids. I wouldn't mind seeing dollar tickets to our other less popular sports available for them.

It was just a thought. It’s far fetched, of course. I agree that it would be good to get their students involved though. I know for quite a while in the early 2000s well into the early 2010s, TCC students were recruited to be in the TU marching band. They’d typically have 20ish they’d send over. I’m not sure how the credit situation worked out, but they received some sort of credit for it as well as a stipend/scholarship.

It was just a thought. It’s far fetched, of course. I agree that it would be good to get their students involved though. I know for quite a while in the early 2000s well into the early 2010s, TCC students were recruited to be in the TU marching band. They’d typically have 20ish they’d send over. I’m not sure how the credit situation worked out, but they received some sort of credit for it as well as a stipend/scholarship.

Exactly the sort of arrangement that makes sense.

Not all of tcc's students will go to four year universities. We can offer them something like that experience in athletics. We are doing much better on reaching out to the community and this would just extend that.

Last edited:
And yes football is bad right now. We're a bit stuck at the moment though even if Monty is not the guy we are probably locked in with him for the season if not longer. We have some winnable games coming up so we will see.

That leads us fans to look at other long term issues that could be changed. Attendance will always be one of the subjects that come up.

I'm just not seeing improvements in some particular areas of coaching. I do like that he is taking a hard look at things but it has been four years of mostly the same. So it makes football talk hard. I'll be there on Friday again watching our come back end in a self inflicted wound.

AGREE 100%. I have often said TU should offer ORU students $5 tickets. No football. Heck, I know a couple of students here who are actually doing their internships with sports marketing at TU. Every Friday I see one of them in their TU blue Athletics polo :)

Seriously, we should offer TCC and ORU students $5 tickets to games.

And yes football is bad right now. We're a bit stuck at the moment though even if Monty is not the guy we are probably locked in with him for the season if not longer. We have some winnable games coming up so we will see.

That leads us fans to look at other long term issues that could be changed. Attendance will always be one of the subjects that come up.

I'm just not seeing improvements in some particular areas of coaching. I do like that he is taking a hard look at things but it has been four years of mostly the same. So it makes football talk hard. I'll be there on Friday again watching our come back end in a self inflicted wound.
We've been in and had a chance to win every game so far this season. We've made some stupid and critical mistakes at the wrong times of games. We have yet still to play a full 60 minute game. The best has been 3 quarters against Houston. Our attitude would be completely different if we are 4-1 right now squeaking out those games versus choking them away.

We've been in and had a chance to win every game so far this season. We've made some stupid and critical mistakes at the wrong times of games. We have yet still to play a full 60 minute game. The best has been 3 quarters against Houston. Our attitude would be completely different if we are 4-1 right now squeaking out those games versus choking them away.

Remember when everyone was saying that last year?

Our losses can all be argued as bad coaching decisions. Not recruiting a scholarship kicker, Texas. The jet fly sweep safety, Arkansas St. Keeping Skipper in and the last two minutes of the game, Temple. Running a hurt player vs Houston on a fourth down play with a 1 point lead.

They are all slightly different, but the constant is the guy making those choices. His record in one possession games is atrocious and that will not change.

Texas is currently demolishing everybody. Their upset loss even looks decent and was a game of raw emotions for a team bunkering down. Mean while people talk about how we don't have the talent.

We were not whipped by a top ten team at their place and legitimately should have won despite some bad discipline and choices.

We are losing despite our talent, not because of it. That falls on the staff.

It's been four years now of the same, it won't be changing. We'll get a game like we did last year where we'll beat a good teams brains in like we did Houston. Where our talent will just run away with a game. Otherwise we will struggle.

Tulsa could easily start 1-5 and then go 5-1 with an upset of Memphis or Navy and wins against SMU, UConn, Arkansas, and Tulane. All are doable games, two will probably even have Tulsa as favorite.

I just have no faith that this staff can get that done.

Reactions: maverickfp

Our losses can all be argued as bad coaching decisions. Not recruiting a scholarship kicker, Texas. The jet fly sweep safety, Arkansas St. Keeping Skipper in and the last two minutes of the game, Temple. Running a hurt player vs Houston on a fourth down play with a 1 point lead.

They are all slightly different, but the constant is the guy making those choices. His record in one possession games is atrocious and that will not change.

Texas is currently demolishing everybody. Their upset loss even looks decent and was a game of raw emotions for a team bunkering down. Mean while people talk about how we don't have the talent.

We were not whipped by a top ten team at their place and legitimately should have won despite some bad discipline and choices.

It's been four years now of the same, it won't be changing. We'll get a game like we did last year where we'll beat a good teams brains in like we did Houston. Where our talent will just run away with a game. Otherwise we will struggle.

Tulsa could easily start 1-5 and then go 5-1 with an upset of Memphis or Navy and wins against SMU, UConn, Arkansas, and Tulane. All are doable games, two will probably even have Tulsa as favorite.

OK. I'm not going to argue that.

Scholarship kickers miss kicks too.

We couldn't protect anybody in the Temple game... it didn't matter if it was Skipper or Boomer.

We still had a chance to win despite the running play, which was actually the players fault for not staying down if he was that hurt. Again, we couldn't protect the QB and that took us out of the game.

You want to argue Arkansas State, I'll give that to you. Everything else has been circumstantial.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT