ADVERTISEMENT

Montgomery Era

ey1294

I.T.S. Defensive Coordinator
Aug 21, 2003
The football program and sports programs are regressing. “Dr” Gragg has been an abject failure for TU. Stead was too, he led TU into this financial crisis it is in. Look at the financial failure the Gilcrese has become. The OU/TU medical school was a failed idea that cost the school a lot of cash and even more donors.

Support TU if you want, I will continue to be opposed to TU until “Dr” Gragg is fired or resigns. Someone tell me or show me what he’s accomplished. The man is a failure. He came to campus and every program has been negatively affected, including men’s golf which he eradicated. He did get his children free education, so there’s that.

One current TU board member lauded “Dr” Gragg and the job he’s done to me last August. I simply shook my head and said, “what has he done to further the athletic department at TU?”
“We don’t get Coach Haith without Dr. Gragg.”
I looked at her, smiled and said, “ You’re absolutely right.” I turned and walked away.

Additionally, the leadership at the highest level needs turnover badly. Dr. Lawless and his leadership is missed deeply across every facet of the campus. His plan is gone, his success and his board is all gone. This is an organization in major crisis.

There isn’t an ounce of Dr Lawless or his plan left at 11th and Harvard. See the firing of Bill Hinkle. TU doesn’t support its own anymore. The finances of the University are even worse than publicized. It’s a fire that isn’t close to being quelled.

Go TU....just not in the near future.

So it sounds like you’ve heard and witnessed some of the exact same things i have. The small-time attitude will be our demise.

I have heard many people give props to Dr. Clancy and his leadership. That has been encouraging though I have not met him.

I am an optimist at heart but it does not look good.

I have heard many people give props to Dr. Clancy and his leadership. That has been encouraging though I have not met him.

Dr. Clancy is an incredibly nice man. I’ve enjoyed all my conversations with him. He’s doing everything he can to get TU back in order after the mess that was left by Dr. Upham (RIP). However, he’s just not all that interested in athletics... he wants to leave it to the AD, but our AD is incompetent.

How has he been a leader? Give me examples. The man has done nothing to move TU Athletics in the positive direction. No athletic team has progressed.

The Hurricane Club is losing donations and dollars on a historic level. Attendance is plummeting at all sporting events. 10 years ago TU football and basketball had 2X attendance numbers of what they are now. Does anyone else think that is a coincendce as “Dr” Gragg states at every chance he can.

Does this sound familiar? “Every University across the country is struggling to capture the attendance of alumni, local fans and students.” Are you tired of hearing rhetoric he states to save his job? He cancelled Men’s golf to save his job. Now he is in even deeper trouble, but keeping his job. Hmm.

Lawless was on several NCAA committees and was on top of everything.

Ross was probably becoming the best AD but ruined his chance. Largent is right. The AD needs to schmooz the donors every day.

Clancy has a chance to be the best President yet but I just don’t know if he can turn into a rabid fan that we need for athletics.

Reactions: TU4ever2
Lawless was on several NCAA committees and was on top of everything.

Ross was probably becoming the best AD but ruined his chance. Largent is right. The AD needs to schmooz the donors every day.

Clancy has a chance to be the best President yet but I just don’t know if he can turn into a rabid fan that we need for athletics.

Ross hurt so much. Just such bad timing.

I don't stay all that in touch with how people feel, but do we hold our noses and talk to largent?

I understand it has on occasion been a rough relationship. Earlier on because of the university and lately because of him.

Jerry O I think would kill at it. But have no idea if he is interested or if he feels he is well suited to the position. But man that guy loves this university and he is a results guy.

We need someone to step up here. I think it has to be someone from inside the "family" or the city, we have a lot to address.

Reactions: GOB10
Ignore “ey”. He’s been wrong about everything he’s said.

Raisin_Cane: Good you’ve bought into the Univerisity and it’s damage control program. Clancy was the last choice they had after a two year search, they settled. Don’t you get it?

Please build a timeline of Dr. Graggs career at TU. Now argue his relevance. He’s taken the athletic department in the wrong direction, year after year, after painful year. He’s untouchable though for one hidden, secret reason.

Ignore me. Go for it, but the facts at 11th and Harvard are there for anyone to see now. TU is in MAJOR crisis. The money is gone. Stead spent it. Go talk to Bill Hinkle directly. He will tell you where all the bodies are buried.

Does a healthy organization stop retirement fund matches? Does a healthy organization mandate pay cuts? Does a healthy organization mandate $50M in funding reductions annuallly across the enterprise?

Hmmm. IGNORE me. Ignore me until YOU are proven wrong.

#facts

Lol I work in for profit oil and gas and that’s the :crap: we all have had to deal with the last five years for those of us still employed.

Get real.

And congrats on being the first I know to call Gragg out us not being able to afford to fire him because of his skin color.

What the hell is going on with you assholes tonight.

Lol I work in for profit oil and gas and that’s the :crap: we all have had to deal with the last five years for those of us still employed.

Get real.

And congrats on being the first I know to call Gragg out us not being able to afford to fire him because of his skin color.

What the hell is going on with you assholes tonight.

Really? We're tied to the petroleum industry?

I did not know that. . .

Do we also have relatively high percentage of foriegn students who might not want to come to the US right now, or can't come because politics? You know the sort who pay up front and full price?

Just finish a bunch of projects around campus the last few years?

Are we private and can't depend on the state to bail us out if we mess up?

It's really pretty easy to see why the Universitt would think tightening it's belt was a good idea.

Junkie dropping ignorant mf's left and right tonight and that's all I'll say about that.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
WTF is Bill Hinkle btw??!???!111

Seriously, I’d like to know. Never heard of this life saving clown.

Iareseriouscat.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

10 years ago TU football and basketball had 2X attendance numbers of what they are now

This isn’t true for either sport. We average around 17-18k in football, the stadium doesn’t even hold 2x that amount.

Basketball has hovered between 4,500-6,000 average since Wojcik was hired in 2005. Don Rey doesn’t hold 2x that amount either

Reactions: jerandlaur
1-11 = new staff?
Is that possible?

Not sure what firing Monty does without firing this current AD. In fact, I would think Monty would leave if he has to keep "reporting" to him.

Hey, if my firm's managing partner could not provide me with the assets I need to win cases, I'd leave regardless of what I was being paid. Apples/oranges, I know. But, still...

Reactions: TUGrad06
Ey loves to make up things as he goes along. His “the sky is falling” cry when it clearly isn’t gets old.

Reactions: cmullinsTU
Wasn't PM offensive coordinator at Baylor when they were very successful. Especially on offense. What happened to his offensive genius?

Mack Brown was an average coach who won a national championship. He was at a big name school, so he got lots of all star recruits.

Last edited:
Ross hurt so much. Just such bad timing.

I don't stay all that in touch with how people feel, but do we hold our noses and talk to largent?

I understand it has on occasion been a rough relationship. Earlier on because of the university and lately because of him.

Jerry O I think would kill at it. But have no idea if he is interested or if he feels he is well suited to the position. But man that guy loves this university and he is a results guy.

We need someone to step up here. I think it has to be someone from inside the "family" or the city, we have a lot to address.
I like Jerry O as much as the next TU fan. I'm not sure he is wired to "sell TU athletics" which is what we want the next AD to do. That's why I suggested Largent. Even just rebuilding that relationship with the local community for 2-3 years, sort of like what Nebraska did with Tom Osborne. There are people in Tulsa who are not moved by TU athletics, but they would jump on board with Steve Largent (heck, they might jump on board with Dave Rader as the AD). TU's next AD doesn't need to know a lick about the internal functioning of any individual sport. TU has plenty of support personnel in athletic department to get that done. The sole function of the next AD is to schmooze donors and sell the program to fans.

He had a Heisman winner at quarterback ...that does wonders for your resume .
That QB was also initially committed to Houston before Briles accepted the Baylor job. The question is why hasn't he been able to attract somewhat similar QB/WR talent to TU running this system?

I like Jerry O as much as the next TU fan. I'm not sure he is wired to "sell TU athletics" which is what we want the next AD to do. That's why I suggested Largent. Even just rebuilding that relationship with the local community for 2-3 years, sort of like what Nebraska did with Tom Osborne. There are people in Tulsa who are not moved by TU athletics, but they would jump on board with Steve Largent (heck, they might jump on board with Dave Rader as the AD). TU's next AD doesn't need to know a lick about the internal functioning of any individual sport. TU has plenty of support personnel in athletic department to get that done. The sole function of the next AD is to schmooze donors and sell the program to fans.

There is a reason Steve Largent hasn't been involved in TU athletics.

Jerry O has been in the community since he has retired including coaching at Holland Hall. Having a sports talk radio show several times including recently. He is well connected through out the community and knows Tulsa incredibly well.

We don't need help in softball, soccer, tennis, rowing, track or cross country, or golf. Our Olympic sports have done better than average here. Lots of NCAA appearences and rankings.

Even the men's basketball team has finished outside the top five once in the AAC and has the third most conference wins since joining. They have an NCAA appearence in the last four years

We have two programs really struggling here right now. Women's basketball (which has been an uphill fight for a decade plus now) and football.

We also need more money, which is always the case. When it comes to Tulsa football not sure there is someone more liked and connected than Jerry. Largent spent most of his time in Washington D.C. rubbing half the political spectrum the wrong way and not getting along with TU and making himself look like he was too good for his Alma Matar. Perhaps Tulsa earned his ire, but if you go back and read that Tulsa World story with him his attitude is pretty obvious.

We need a passionate, connected member of the community with TU ties who is generally popular.

Not sure Largent fits that bill. He seems over the athletic department, connected at the money end but not out in the community, and way too political to not attract opposition from people with an axe to grind.

Beyond that I am always suspious of anything recommended by Dave Sittler who has no idea and does not give a damn about what happens to Tulsa, but is a big fan of Largent. Sounds very much like the UNC guys who gushed on Buzz. No thanks.

Why do we have to hire in the TU alumni base? Bubba Cunningham was a fine AD and he came from Ball State... Just get somebody good.

Why do we have to hire in the TU alumni base? Bubba Cunningham was a fine AD and he came from Ball State... Just get somebody good.
We don't. I think the suggestion is to hire someone with connections to the community to re-engage the community with TU.

Bubba was dynamic and mostly due to his time spent at Notre Dame as an associate AD.

Another name I have thrown out in the past is Vince Westbrook. That dude could sell anything. He sold the idea of a world class tennis facility at TU when Dr. Lawless and Judy were saying there were other priorities. Vince went and did it on his own for the most part. Not only that, but his efforts led to the rest of the Hardesty Sports Complex. His connections to the Tulsa community are deep and have deep pockets.

That QB was also initially committed to Houston before Briles accepted the Baylor job. The question is why hasn't he been able to attract somewhat similar QB/WR talent to TU running this system?

Because he was a hall monitor.

He made sure Briles dry cleaning got done.

If he were the recruiting genius and play caller at high school/Houston/Baylor for Briles, he wouldn’t be at Tulsa.

Because Tulsa exists in a unique situation to any other school in FBS, because the entire Athletic Department is seven years from handling perhaps the most important athletic issues since the split of 1A (FBS) and 1AA (FCS).

There is a fight for survival at the top level of college athletics coming, already the rpi (an unbiased rating based on wins/losses) is out and a new murkey metric is in for basketball and choosing tournament teams. The term power conference has leaked into basketball and is being used to discriminate.

We need someone who cares about the school, not someone looking to improve their resume and land a power job as soon as possible. For these people the split is already reality and Tulsa is out. Our next AD will have to fight for Tulsa.

We don't. I think the suggestion is to hire someone with connections to the community to re-engage the community with TU.

Bubba was dynamic and mostly due to his time spent at Notre Dame as an associate AD.

Another name I have thrown out in the past is Vince Westbrook. That dude could sell anything. He sold the idea of a world class tennis facility at TU when Dr. Lawless and Judy were saying there were other priorities. Vince went and did it on his own for the most part. Not only that, but his efforts led to the rest of the Hardesty Sports Complex. His connections to the Tulsa community are deep and have deep pockets.

A community connected member would be fine. Any suggestions for someone who doesn't have TU ties? Our group is small including connections to TU, it pretty much doesn't exist when you eliminate school connected people. Former Mayor Lafortune is the only one I can think of.

Westbrook was awesome.

He was so awesome that despite being told football was the priority so we could increase revenue and help the whole athletic department he went behind the back of his administration and raised the money from sources targeted for the football improvements, after he was told not too. Then dared the administration to fire him. He did get what he wanted though so that's a plus in an AD.

Thank God for Dr. Lawless rolling that complete f-up into a push for the Hardesty Sports Complex or we would be looking at an Athletic Department who was good in tennis and . . . . . . . Well nothing.

Bubba was sooo good. Rather than wait to make up the extra fund raising needed since we built a tennis facility instead, he said 30,000 (28,500 really) is good enough.

Bubba is the perfect example of why we need a Tulsa person. He just wanted to make it look good so he could move on to Notre Dame or UNC.

Bubba's short sighted approach to making sure he looked good ensured our current scheduling difficulties.

The down sizing of the stadium plans also sent a clear message, along with our refusal to up assistant pay, to Todd Graham that he had hit the ceiling here at Tulsa and sent him off to Pitt instead of Graham staying and building the Tulsa program.

Because he was a hall monitor.

He made sure Briles dry cleaning got done.

If he were the recruiting genius and play caller at high school/Houston/Baylor for Briles, he wouldn’t be at Tulsa.

Not quite that bad, but yes he was a mild recruiter with good Texas connections who was a glorified QB coach who had little say in the offense or program at large.

I'd much rather have a good fund raising AD with zero Tulsa ties than a mediocre AD with no AD experience with tons of Tulsa ties. Fund raising isn't strictly about who you know... it's about how well you can sell those people on your vision. The "who you know" thing is a trait that any of our AD's will develop. I'm sure Gragg knows all the same big donors that Bubba knew, he just doesn't know how to appropriately sell them on Tulsa's development like Bubba did.

Give me a guy (or girl) that can sell ice to eskimos. I don't care if they wore a TU jersey in their lives.

I'd much rather have a good fund raising AD with zero Tulsa ties than a mediocre AD with no AD experience with tons of Tulsa ties. Fund raising isn't strictly about who you know... it's about how well you can sell those people on your vision. The "who you know" thing is a trait that any of our AD's will develop. I'm sure Gragg knows all the same big donors that Bubba knew, he just doesn't know how to appropriately sell them on Tulsa's development like Bubba did.

Give me a guy (or girl) that can sell ice to eskimos. I don't care if they wore a TU jersey in their lives.

The same guys is the issue, how about we get some people here who aren't already donating?

I don't know how much more I can explain this to you if you have never seen inside the program. Tulsa is in a unique position that is much closer to the service academies then it is to any other division 1 school. It is incredibly small and it's interior politics work more like a small high school then a division 1 athletic department. What will work at a 20,000 student school won't at Tulsa.

It's not just fund raising. As our football team has shown having talent with poor direction, disicpline, awareness, and understanding won't get you wins.

Tulsa is in an athletic world right now that is in complete flux. Any new AD will have to understand this and position Tulsa politically and financially to prosper in that world.

They will need to navigate the university's complex internal issues, deal with it's influential supporters, it's lettermen, the faculty.

Then reconnect the community at large with the school while reinforcing the roots of that long term relationship that TU must have with city and preferably the region to succeed.

While doing all of this they will need to be involved nationally so the program is able to ride out any upheavels and choose the most advantageous relationships for athletics and being prepared for the next and proabably final realignement.

All while scheduling with extreme limitations, high conference demands, a need to win, and build.

Of course they will also have to maintain the high standards of success for all the programs as well as keeping us between the lines for compliance, title IX, etc.

Finally they need to keep us financially secure, growing the department, using resources efficiently, keeping us on steady footing while competing on a national level.

There is going to be a lot more to this than just fund raising.

Reactions: TU_BLA
The same guys is the issue, how about we get some people here who aren't already donating?

I don't know how much more I can explain this to you if you have never seen inside the program. Tulsa is in a unique position that is much closer to the service academies then it is to any other division 1 school. It is incredibly small and it's interior politics work more like a small high school then a division 1 athletic department. What will work at a 20,000 student school won't at Tulsa.

It's not just fund raising. As our football team has shown having talent with poor direction, disicpline, awareness, and understanding won't get you wins.

Tulsa is in an athletic world right now that is in complete flux. Any new AD will have to understand this and position Tulsa politically and financially to prosper in that world.

They will need to navigate the university's complex internal issues, deal with it's influential supporters, it's lettermen, the faculty.

Then reconnect the community at large with the school while reinforcing the roots of that long term relationship that TU must have with city and preferably the region to succeed.

While doing all of this they will need to be involved nationally so the program is able to ride out any upheavels and choose the most advantageous relationships for athletics and being prepared for the next and proabably final realignement.

All while scheduling with extreme limitations, high conference demands, a need to win, and build.

Of course they will also have to maintain the high standards of success for all the programs as well as keeping us between the lines for compliance, title IX, etc.

Finally they need to keep us financially secure, growing the department, using resources efficiently, keeping us on steady footing while competing on a national level.

There is going to be a lot more to this than just fund raising.
I hate to break it to you, but in a case where a real lasting realignment occurs that effectively breaks 70 or so of the schools away from the rest of the current FBS, we're not going to be on the winning side, no matter who the AD is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT