ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Gundy

Sounds like he’s saying he’s driven many times after drinking 3 beers
At the time Gundy said this, Gordon hadn't yet been charged with anything...he was charged either later that same day or early the next day (post Gundy's comments). With the charges don't you have to suspend him for a game, even if it's the one against some I-AA scrimmage game? It's a bad look to not take any tangible disciplinary action against him. And I'm not saying Gordon is guilty by any stretch but the mere impropriety the and bad light it puts on your program, you discipline the kid for making a poor decision. The question is, would Gundy have suspended a non-starter/non-star for the same poor decision making? If the answer is yes, then maybe Gundy's principles aren't as principled as was previous thought.

Reactions: TULSARISING
At the time Gundy said this, Gordon hadn't yet been charged with anything...he was charged either later that same day or early the next day (post Gundy's comments). With the charges don't you have to suspend him for a game, even if it's the one against some I-AA scrimmage game? It's a bad look to not take any tangible disciplinary action against him. And I'm not saying Gordon is guilty by any stretch but the mere impropriety the and bad light it puts on your program, you discipline the kid for making a poor decision. The question is, would Gundy have suspended a non-starter/non-star for the same poor decision making? If the answer is yes, then maybe Gundy's principles aren't as principled as was previous thought.
Ya, Gundy is getting a lot of criticism for saying that , me personally, I won’t drive if I have more than one beer , I’m not much of a drinker anyway so I’m sure my tolerance is not as high as some , it’s a really bad look for osu for Gumby not doing any form of discipline , however , it doesn’t shock me

If I’m Ollie Gordon, I would have liked missing a game against a D2 opponent much more than being forced to attend Big12 media day and answering question after question about the DUI. He’s basically a professional athlete now. Needs to be held accountable by the press. A game suspension for a meaningless D2 game would have been fine as well.

Reactions: TULSARISING
If I’m Ollie Gordon, I would have liked missing a game against a D2 opponent much more than being forced to attend Big12 media day and answering question after question about the DUI. He’s basically a professional athlete now. Needs to be held accountable by the press. A game suspension for a meaningless D2 game would have been fine as well.
Agreed , side note , they better take SDSU seriously, those guys can play and would beat a lot of division 1 teams

Reactions: lawpoke87
I know it's a bad look for the school when your the star player and get caught doing something stupid, and make no mistake, drinking and getting behind the wheel is STUPID!

In the case of a DWI he's going to receive plenty of punishment from the legal system.

Given his status as one of the top RBs in the country he'll be punished by the media throughout the season, tack on to that the scrutiny he's brought onto himself from the NFL teams that are looking to draft a RB, and the money it will cost him in contract negotiations it's pretty clear that he's going to pay a heavy price.

This may not be popular, and with what I see as the legal punishment, I've never understood why there is always an outcry for teams punishing a player, be it Gordon or anyone else, for incidents where there was no victim. Driving drunk surely opens the door to tragedy and thank the Lord that it didn't in this case, but I don't completely buy into the idea of the school piling on publicly. In my opinion the staff should handle it quietly and internally. Strength and conditioning coaches can be real sadist when they're allowed to be creative in providing reminders. If he won't comply with the internal correction, then suspend him for a couple of games and move on. If in the end that was what occurs there will be red flags everywhere come draft time and his future payday will shrink dramatically.

I don't disagree with Gundy not suspending him. I do however hope I'm correct in my belief that he's going to quietly suffer the consequences of his actions that affect the school.

Reactions: TU65alum
I know it's a bad look for the school when your the star player and get caught doing something stupid, and make no mistake, drinking and getting behind the wheel is STUPID!

In the case of a DWI he's going to receive plenty of punishment from the legal system.

Given his status as one of the top RBs in the country he'll be punished by the media throughout the season, tack on to that the scrutiny he's brought onto himself from the NFL teams that are looking to draft a RB, and the money it will cost him in contract negotiations it's pretty clear that he's going to pay a heavy price.

This may not be popular, and with what I see as the legal punishment, I've never understood why there is always an outcry for teams punishing a player, be it Gordon or anyone else, for incidents where there was no victim. Driving drunk surely opens the door to tragedy and thank the Lord that it didn't in this case, but I don't completely buy into the idea of the school piling on publicly. In my opinion the staff should handle it quietly and internally. Strength and conditioning coaches can be real sadist when they're allowed to be creative in providing reminders. If he won't comply with the internal correction, then suspend him for a couple of games and move on. If in the end that was what occurs there will be red flags everywhere come draft time and his future payday will shrink dramatically.

I don't disagree with Gundy not suspending him. I do however hope I'm correct in my belief that he's going to quietly suffer the consequences of his actions that affect the school.
I assure you that his incident will cost him exactly zero during NFL negotiations. I honest doubt it's talked about much more once the season starts.

I assure you that his incident will cost him exactly zero during NFL negotiations. I honest doubt it's talked about much more once the season starts.
No clue if it will cost him any money. I can guarantee that NFL teams will ask about it multiple times during the lead up to next years draft.

They are pretty light on the punishment, heavy on the fines for your first Dwi. 40 hours of community service is pretty weak on the punishment.

Not 100% sure by any means if it will cost him much cash, but it's just another chip that a team can play in negotiations and they're shrewd negotiators and will use whatever leverage they have. It's highly unlikely it will be talked about in public, but it will be behind closed doors, be it in Stillwater or NFL front offices.

Didn't realize it was that light....
That's all I got. But that was in '89, so maybe it's changed. But I haven't heard anything to make me think it has changed though. My last Dwi was in 2000 so I haven't had recent experience with the penalties. I sort of had three DWI's. One of em got thrown out cuz they didn't re-breathalyze me in the legally allotted amount of time.

South Dakota State has only lost one game in the past two years. 7-3 vs Iowa in 2022 was their last loss. They're a little better that the FCS teams that we put on our schedule.

South Dakota State has only lost one game in the past two years. 7-3 vs Iowa in 2022 was their last loss. They're a little better that the FCS teams that we put on our schedule.
Who gives OSU the better game …SDSU, Arkansas or TU in OOC?

Who gives OSU the better game …SDSU, Arkansas or TU in OOC?
It may not look impressive to many, but that's a really tough NC lineup. SDSU is without a doubt capable of "upsetting" many FBS teams and straight up beating a number of FBS teams. Certainly wouldn't want to see them on our schedule. Arkansas has talent and Petrino is the OC and seemingly head coach in waiting, so there's a great deal of unknown. Us... We tend to play OSU tough on any given year, but there's a big unknown until we see what type of line we have to allow time for those skill players to make plays.

If you made me choose it would be Arkansas...

It may not look impressive to many, but that's a really tough NC lineup. SDSU is without a doubt capable of "upsetting" many FBS teams and straight up beating a number of FBS teams. Certainly wouldn't want to see them on our schedule. Arkansas has talent and Petrino is the OC and seemingly head coach in waiting, so there's a great deal of unknown. Us... We tend to play OSU tough on any given year, but there's a big unknown until we see what type of line we have to allow time for those skill players to make plays.

If you made me choose it would be Arkansas...
I think Arkansas is going to be awful this year...they're starting to tank under Pittman. We usually play OSU fairly close for whatever reason.

Gordon will have to drive around with that breath analyzer hooked up to his car now!

T
The Jack Rabbits are my favorite FCS team , they play hard, would not stun me if they ended up upsetting osu

I think Arkansas is going to be awful this year...they're starting to tank under Pittman. We usually play OSU fairly close for whatever reason.
They might be, but this is Petrino's formal interview of sorts and he's a slick/evil b@stard that knows how to make himself look good (At least on the field).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT