ADVERTISEMENT

Summer Basketball Practice Summary

I.I.

I.T.S. Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
I saw several practices this year, the last one being early this week. I will summarize my observations. In the past I have missed on several players. I thought Josh Earley would develop into a really good player. I couldn't pick out Haggerty as a Freshman of the year though I felt he was the best of the newcomers and actually shot quite well from the three in the summer. They don't call "and ones" in summer scrimmages. I, along with everyone else knew Hall might not live up to the recruiting hype. This season also has its mysteries and you really never know till the bright lights come on who can play. But here goes:

Keaston Willis 6'3" 190 R-Sr. His last full season at La Tech shot 39% from the three and 71% FT along with 3.2 rebounds. Most likely our most dependable three point shooter and the player who may calm the team down. The player you can take fishing and have a great time. Projected starter. All eyes are on his season ending injury from last year.

Matt Reed 6'9" 240 Soph .. Has lost a lot of non- muscular weight and really looks great. He shot 44% FG and 29% from three and 67% FT last year. His post moves and outside shooting look much improved. Bigger question is his post defense. He could shoot 33-35% from the three this year.

Dwon Odom 6'2" 182 Grad- Started 24 games for Georgia State last year with 52% FG but only shot 14 threes all year . 81% FT Don't look for him to put up many threes as he is a pass first no turnover guard with a 2.7/1 assist turnover ratio and 142 assists. 12PPG and 5 reb for Ga St. Strong defensive guard as well. Could start based on his experience of being a full time starter.

Jaye Nash 6'2" 175 4 star Freshman- 13PPG, 7.5 assists 4 reb for his private high school in Memphis. Could be the fastest player on the team and a really tough strong guard. I didn't see a lot of threes go in but he has good form and I expect that will improve. Really great passer and can really take it to the rim. I expect a lot of minutes from Jaye.

Braeden Carrington -G- 6'4" 195 JR Wing- Started 10 games for Big Ten Minnesota last year shooting 34% FG and 22% from three. Shot 33% from three his Freshman year???? Missed a bunch of games both years due to injuries and personal problems. Has a beautiful release on the ball and I think could shoot 35% from three. Similar shooter to Barnes. I like him as a big strong wing. Just some concern for the many injuries.

Jesaiah McWright G 6'4" 176 Shot 34%FG and 34% from the three and often guarded the opponent's best player. It seemed confidence was a problem his Freshman year which rapidly improved as a Soph. So I expect more this year from this hard attacking guard.

Justin Amadi F 6'7" 225 R-JR Sat out last year with lower body injury at James Madison but the year before started 29 games shooting 64% FG, no threes, and 65% FT with 5.4 reb 38 steals and 10 blocks. I have no idea how he will be, but he seems like a Charlie Davis (2000) type player.

Tyshawn Archie- G 6'1" 175 Soph - Has gained weight and strength and was the most exciting PG in a long time for TU and a crowd favorite. Shot 45%FG and 37% from the three. Working on his defense against bigger guards but should continue to improve. Need his 37% from three again this year. May share PG duty with Odom sometimes.

Tyler Behrend- F 6'10" Soph Older than all others due to Navy time and only one year in JUCO. Thin but has nice outside shot but not much inside yet. Needs the year to develop and gain strength.

Isaiah Barnes- G 6'7" 200 JR Wing Has gained weight and strength and is really shooting it well. Shot 44%FG and 32% from the three last year with 3.7 rebounds. Should improve in all areas and need him for rebound help. Projected Starter.

Jared Garcia- F 6'8" 240 SR - Out this summer due to off season surgery. Was a leading rebounder and surprising 3 point shooter last year . Dominated a few games last year and if that improves, could be an all-conference selection this season. Projected starter.

Ian Smikle- F 6'9" 250 Freshman- A great early catch for Konkol. One of the best Freshman Bigs in a while. No outside shot but great motor and working on inside moves and rebounding. A real surprise and I am looking forward to a lot of PT for Ian.

Cal Conroy, Ari Seals , and Ben Radford are the glue that hold the practices together. Without complaining, they go through the same tough practices knowing their playing time is limited. I'm always glad to hear the crowd cheer when they are inserted in the games.

Others have seen more practices than me so I welcome any disagreements, additions, or agreements on my thoughts. My thoughts could be completely different in November. Just fun to discuss.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.