ADVERTISEMENT

Memphis #25

Barlass

I.T.S. Defensive Coordinator
Mar 1, 2004
Memphis breaks into the top 25 in the Coaches Poll this week. Houston is ranked #27, Temple #28, Memphis #29 and Navy #30 in the AP Poll.

Temple and Houston deserve it over Memphis at this point. I think all three should be ranked, but the two teams that have shown the most deserving are Temple and Houston, then Memphis, then Navy. I agree that Cincinnati will be there before it's over. It took an injured quarterback, and a game & a half for the Freshman to show them he is the man, but they are cooking with gas now.

I'm sure very few coaches in the Power Five conferences are going to vote for anyone except teams in their conferences.

Congrats to Memphis. Looking forward to the Ole Miss vs Memphis game should be a good measuring stick for Memphis.

GO TU!!!

Temple and Houston deserve it over Memphis at this point. I think all three should be ranked, but the two teams that have shown the most deserving are Temple and Houston, then Memphis, then Navy. I agree that Cincinnati will be there before it's over. It took an injured quarterback, and a game & a half for the Freshman to show them he is the man, but they are cooking with gas now.

Memphis beat cincy. Memphis deserves to be at the top for now imo.

I don't know what makes you say that. I think Memphis defense is making people be harsher on them then they really should be. We are on a 12 game win and 5-0 to start the season. Don't hate that we are trying our best to be successful.

U haven't beat a team with the present rep of Louisville or Penn St. I'm not saying that either team is deserving of their rep, but as of now u do not have a win equal in profile to them. Bowling Green does not do it. Granted Bowling Green may prove to be better than Louisville and/or Penn St, but there is not enough proof of that yet. I'm not saying u are worse than Houston or Temple, just that you have not won a higher profile game than them.

I'm happy for Memphis and the conference and hope Houston, Temple, and Navy all get ranked too!

Hell, OSU has made it to 19 by beating an FCS team and four FBS teams with a combined four FBS wins...
Given that, I'm certainly not going to complain about AAC schools getting ranked!

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I'm happy for Memphis and the conference and hope Houston, Temple, and Navy all get ranked too!

Hell, OSU has made it to 19 by beating an FCS team and four FBS teams with a combined four FBS wins...
Given that, I'm certainly not going to complain about AAC schools getting ranked!

Let me qualify this with I HATE OSU. OSU's D-line is legit with 2-3 potential NFL players and Ogbah could be a 1st or 2nd rounder. Their offense is struggling right now, but you can't run the ball against them and that makes it easier on the LBers and secondary when you know the pass is coming.

As for the rest of the argument about who should be ranked in the AAC. All of the undefeated teams are probably there. IMO, Memphis is the best team right now. Temple's defense is good but their offense is still so-so. Houston...I'm not sure what to think right now. They're one Greg Ward injury away from being Rice. Navy is the team to me that has some very good potential. Their defense is surprisingly really good. Their offense is painfully boring to watch, but extremely efficient. Their QB/RB is really savvy at disguising what he is going to do and makes it difficult to key on him or the pitch man or the read option runner. Navy can beat Notre Dame this week and they'll jump into the rankings. If Memphis beats Ole Miss then you probably watch 3-4 teams jump into the rankings provided they take care of business. It will be interesting to see if Memphis can keep Nkemdiche off Lynch. Nkemdiche is a freak athlete...I can't even think of an NFL player current or recent past that even compares to him. JJ Watt maybe...but I think Nkemdiche might be faster and a little more physical.

U haven't beat a team with the present rep of Louisville or Penn St. I'm not saying that either team is deserving of their rep, but as of now u do not have a win equal in profile to them. Bowling Green does not do it. Granted Bowling Green may prove to be better than Louisville and/or Penn St, but there is not enough proof of that yet. I'm not saying u are worse than Houston or Temple, just that you have not won a higher profile game than them.
Your criteria is flawed with that line of thought. Memphis is 5-0 with 3 of those wins on the road early in the season. Road games are never easy. We beaten some good teams this year already. Screw having to beat someone with national rep to get ranked. Baylor feast on cupcakes all OOC. Win or lose to Ole Miss next week doesn't define what Memphis is as a team in the AAC. Ole Miss would likely take many schools in the AAC to the woodshed and I would not think differently of those schools. I am just glad we aren't playing them this week after that Florida game when they are pissed.

I will admit wasn't expecting 5-0 to start because of the total rebuild on defense. I also will admit I wasn't expecting offense to be so explosive either and receivers not having brick hands.

Next year has a chance to be real special because Fuente is shoring up depth on defense. He is even admitting he is playing a lot of guys on that side to gain experience and reps. That is a bridge we will cross after this season is over with though.

Even if them Tigers tame the Rebels next week
They still have a “daunting” November AAC schedule:
11/7 Navy @ home,
then 2 straight road “trips” to Houston & Temple
(Probable Fav’s 2 win their respective East/West Divisions)
& finish off w/ SMU @ home,
who might B “fighting 2 become bowl eligible” by then

It is possible that both Houston (4-0) & Temple (4-0) could B undefeated
IF/When they meet in the AAC Championship Game
Between those 2 teams: Houston/Temple
Houston looks 2 having the “easier path” to going undefeated

--After their Thursday night game w/ SMU @ home
Houston finishes w/ all the ‘Tuffest AAC opponents @ home
Cincinnati, Memphis, & Navy,
@ U Conn looks 2 B the only tuff game left 4 them on the road.

--Temple has a difficult Thursday night road game coming up @ ECU
B4 playing @ home, the next week, on Halloween vs. Notre Dame
But Temple’s “D” has shown it can rise to the occasion.
They do get Memphis & U Conn @ home in Nov. & play @ SMU

UCONN- they have a good defense but I don't think they have enough to stay with Houston. Ward is a special talent, at least at the college level. Some NFL team will want him to move to WR with his speed.

No disrespect to Temple, but I think the three best teams in the conference are all in the West Division.

My pick for the AAC title game: Houston vs. ECU

It wouldn't be a failure to not reach the West championship this year because this year was all about proving last year wasn't a fluke with progress.

Fuente was on the radio and said a winning program takes time to build up and he has turned us in the right direction. Even if he is gone, he has left us in better shape than we ever been with talent he filled this team with.

Tiger: I agree, it would be a shame to miss out. But the West is strong: Houston, Navy and Memphis battling at the top. Tulsa able to knock anyone down if given the chance. You have to outscore SMU to win. And also Tulane...

Even if Memphis is the best team, there are still games that can be lost on any given Saturday.
- - -

The more the ranked the merrier. I thinkt he P5 votes for P5 has a lot of merit to it. Of course they do. I assume an AAC coach is more likely to rank a fellow AAC member than a team he knows little about. Add in name recognition and self interest and poof!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT