ADVERTISEMENT

Local HS Soccer

I would say Mustang for sure, there's just not many cracks in the back line and it's going to be hard for teams to win many aerial battles on set pieces vs. them because they're so big. Like I said, I haven't seen the Edmond schools in action, just know of a few players. A parent I talked to thinks Ed North is really good. Norman North is meh from what I saw vs Jenks. OK, but not what they were 3 years ago. I think BA/Union have a chance to be there at the end but it all depends what "team" shows up and if they play with intent. I know the tech skill is there for both those teams but sometimes they each rely on it way too much and forget about breaking teams down with movement and tactics. I'd say Union has an advantage tactically as they don't rely on that direct over the top play a lot of HS sides rely on to cover up the lack of MF quality and ball control. Like I said, what I saw in the first 30 minutes from Union last night makes me believe they can be that quality team but the individual mentality of the players is going to decide whether or not they are able to take advantage of that skill and speed they possess. I don't think Jenks has what it takes this season. The game I saw vs BA just didn't show enough quality and even sitting in a low block relying on their keeper didn't work vs BA and when they had to get out to try and knot the score they simply couldn't because they were unable to build an attack through the MF. Playing direct is fine if you have that big physical fast 9 or wingers who can stretch the field but Jenks doesn't really have any of that (last year they did). And when the other team knows you're desperate and going to play over the top you become, IMO, easy to defend. Owasso is OK but they lack depth and quality in some key places. Bixby, as I've said before, is just not very good this season. Even with the 2 players I've mentioned as being very good, they lack overall team speed and they rely on a sweeper to clean things up which may work on teams playing over the top but teams that can build through the MF will give them trouble. And their GKing is shoddy...spills too many balls and decision making, IMO, is an issue that puts his team on their heels.

On the girls side, Jenks is my favorite although I've heard one of the Edmond schools is really good and running a roster of D1 players out there. Can't remember which one. Union is a lot better than I thought they would...and they are a pretty young team. Shea Seals' daughter Viola is starting in goal for them and she is extremely athletic laterally and makes some good decisions on when to come out and challenge. She cannot quite cover the bar and it showed last night as Mustang scored a goal on a couple of set pieces where the GK should have controlled the cross in but she couldn't quite get to it. Mustang was also gifted a PK on what replay showed to be a yellow cardable fish flop in the box. I saw it again on YouTube this AM. It was an absolutely atrocious call. So unlike last year where Union was a very direct and over the top team because they had, from what I saw, the fastest winger in the state. They don't have her this year as she graduated but they do have Hayley Green who is fast and big and very technically sound and she is not afraid of being physical...she almost invites it and draws a lot of foul calls as defenders realize they can't move her off the ball with a simple nudge and when they bow up to hit her harder the call comes. Union works the ball through the MF extremely well on the girls side this year and they have a MF, Gracie Holmes, who is super fast and seemingly boundless energy. She gets on ball carriers pretty quick and forces a lot of TOs. She is not the most technically skilled MF but she creates a lot of havoc and has enough skill to get Union moving in the right direction. Last night they beat Mustang 4-3. Union played the 1st half with a back 3 and 5 in the MF and 2 up top. They went into half with a 3-1 lead and came out and scored pretty quickly in the 2nd half to go up 4-1...and then for some unknown reason Rozell switched to a back 4 and Union lost the ability to control the MF. I was walking with a couple of the girls JV players from Union and I asked if they usually play with a back 3 and they said yes and they're not really sure why they switched. It had a negative impact on how Union played the remainder of the game. Union does not possess any quality depth whatsoever. Players from the bench are probably pretty decent for their club teams but they looked like deer in headlights last night, very nervy and just not any ability to hold the ball up and keep possession. I think they can probably play and be on par with Owasso and BA but I think Jenks is going to run them off the field if they can't hold the ball better in possession. I haven't seen BK this year and this will be their first year in 6A. I know the boys are struggling with that move so far...don't know about the girls.

BTW, I've never been to Mustang before. They have a great HS campus and some beautiful facilities. Soccer complex is A1, baseball complex looked very nice, and it looks like they have a fairly new performing arts center which looked great on the outside. What I didn't realize was how far on the SW side of OKC it is.

Reactions: lawpoke87
Union girls gonna mercy rule NW Classen. Currently 9-0 with 25 minutes left. And I'm pretty sure the Classen girls just want to go home at this point.

I’m currently watching my youngest pitching in U10 baseball in Bixby and missing my daughter’s game against DKSC. Split parenting no fun.

The 10-0 rule is totally ridiculous for soccer.
It's only HS. And why do you think that? Remember, these are HS kids and Union was on the road in OKC for this game. Because of this they got to get back a little bit earlier and be ready for class this morning.

BTW, the Union boys came away with a 3-2 win in OT vs NW Classen last night. I didn't go but watched it via live stream that my wife did. One of us had to hang back with our 12 year old and get her to and from swim practice. I feel your pain Lawpoke. Union didn't play very well IMO.

I did go to the BK vs Bixby game yesterday. Crazy Catholics had to play early so they could all go to Maundy Thursday mass afterwards. BK took a 2-0 lead in the first half and very clearly capable. Bixby GK spilled the ball on every touch yesterday. 1st goal came from a PK. Legit foul in the box. 2nd was a nice piece of build up play and the ball got into the box and fell to a BK player who was able to tuck it in. 2-0 at half. 2nd half, BK seemed to be fine for the 1st 25 minutes or so. Then they got tired and it really showed. Lots of heavy legs and not much depth. They had 20 kids dressed but only 1 kid came off the bench and played. They just weren't able to sustain the press they had been effective with. Bixby found a goal on a corner/set piece and their best player was unmarked on the back post. Seriously, not sure how BK lost track of him because prior to this goal, anytime he touched it the CB was yelling double that. They had obviously game planned to take him and #10 out of the game. Bixby tied it with about 2 minutes left on a nice individual play. Apparently they found a 3rd player with some pace during their trip to Alabama and he basically took the ball from the left side of the box across the middle and cut a nice shot back against the flow into the goal. BK GK who had played a really nice game to this point was just frozen in it.

Game went to a 2nd OT. BK had some chances. One was a cross into the box that the Bixby GK came out to intercept except he didn't handle it cleanly and dropped it right in front of a BK player who just couldn't find a touch for a shot. Winning goal for Bixby came about 4 minutes from the end and was on a really fluky play. Bixby took a weak shot that the BK keeper smothered and then came out to punt. He must have gotten confused as to which lines were th football lines (blue) and which were soccer lines (white) because he was a clear 2-3 yards outside the penalty area and let the ball go at the 20 yd line for football. Sad thing is the AR wasn't paying attention and didn't call it...the center ref saw it from midfield and called it. Bixby had a free kick from an inch outside the 18 right in the center of the box. Bixby shooter didn't try to do too much and hit a nice low shot to the far post which ended up deflecting off a BK player and in. Honestly thought BK outplayed Bixby the majority of the game with better build up through the MF. BK doesn't have any one player that makes you go "ooh" but they are solid. Like I said depth is an issue for them. I stand by my previous assessment of Bixby...little speed and not even quality through the MF if you can force Troy and Johan to give up the ball. BK did a pretty nice job of that yesterday.

Saw some weird scores from this week. Ed Memorial beat Ed North on Tuesday and then turned around and lost to Westmoore, which is not traditionally a 6A power in soccer. Westmoore lost to Norman North 1-0 on Tuesday.

Jenks has won 2 games this week that they trailed in the last 5 minutes and somehow managed to find 2 goals in regulation to win each. They scored with 37 seconds left in Monday to win vs Owasso with the equalizer only coming 2 minutes earlier. Last night they score and equalizer with 3-4 minutes left and scored the game winner with 1 second on the clock.

Unfortunately (at least in this case) club soccer does not have a ten goal rule. Solar 2010 NL beat a team from Ukraine yesterday 15-0 in the Dallas Cup. That Ukraine girls team has been in the states for quite awhile. Hate they got beat by 15 but thankful they’re here.

Reactions: TU_BLA
I don't know why tournaments and local leagues don't put in a mercy rule. They often cap goal differential to +5 per game to discourage blowouts, so why not end games early when you reach a 10 goal differential in the 2nd half.

In other local club news, a sign that TSC has some issues is Tony Winters is leaving TSC and moving to Blitz. Tony has been at TSC so long he's bridged the 2 ownership groups. My guess is he's taking a couple of the top teams at Blitz and taking over for Derek Larkin, who is as I understand, is not going to coach youth soccer any longer. Like I said, Tony is as TSC as they come so him leaving there tells me something crazy is happening.

I don't know why tournaments and local leagues don't put in a mercy rule. They often cap goal differential to +5 per game to discourage blowouts, so why not end games early when you reach a 10 goal differential in the 2nd half.

In other local club news, a sign that TSC has some issues is Tony Winters is leaving TSC and moving to Blitz. Tony has been at TSC so long he's bridged the 2 ownership groups. My guess is he's taking a couple of the top teams at Blitz and taking over for Derek Larkin, who is as I understand, is not going to coach youth soccer any longer. Like I said, Tony is as TSC as they come so him leaving there tells me something crazy is happening.
Tony wants less stress and less travel. He has had some personal issues that need him to be home more. TSC is planning 10% growth. Blitz is planning to grow. My assumption is WSA is going to have some shrinkage. West bank is horrible and they have grown to fast.

Tony wants less stress and less travel. He has had some personal issues that need him to be home more. TSC is planning 10% growth. Blitz is planning to grow. My assumption is WSA is going to have some shrinkage. West bank is horrible and they have grown to fast.
I know nothing about the boys side. I know on the girls side there have been personnel moves to reduce payroll costs. TSC has seen a fairly dramatic loss of players over the past five years. Hope they’re successful in getting the leak plugged and getting the ship righted.

The 10-0 rule in high school is absurd. It needs to be like 7.

That is an awful score line for a Dallas cup game. Blitz needs something to right the crap hole that is at the top going on the boys side right now. The results they have going on are god awful so maybe they offered better money and less travel.

The 10-0 rule in high school is absurd. It needs to be like 7.

That is an awful score line for a Dallas cup game. Blitz needs something to right the crap hole that is at the top going on the boys side right now. The results they have going on are god awful so maybe they offered better money and less travel.
7 would be fine by me. As long as it's the 2nd half when you end it.

I'm sure Tony knows Derek Larkin pretty well. Tony's a good guy and I always wanted my son to play for him at TSC. He didn't come into the age group until my son had left for Blitz though. Tony and I worked together at ORU for a long time.

7 would be fine by me. As long as it's the 2nd half when you end it.

I'm sure Tony knows Derek Larkin pretty well. Tony's a good guy and I always wanted my son to play for him at TSC. He didn't come into the age group until my son had left for Blitz though. Tony and I worked together at ORU for a long time.
Is Larkin too committed to Rogers State?

Is Larkin too committed to Rogers State?
My understanding he was going to focus on that. I think his age groups make it difficult to be a FT coach because Fall is basically a crap shoot on his availability because college soccer is a Fall thing and that's when most OK club teams in the U14-U19 age groups play the large majority of their games. He'll probably still be around to provide some evals for teams and players and step in to help train occasionally...and I can't tell you enough good things about him and the way he teaches the game to players. Good demeanor, teaches the game in an understandable way I've always enjoyed listening to him coach (whether I am the ref of the game or just sitting on the sideline).

Tuesday night in 6A: Jenks beat BK 6-0. Bixby beat Southmoore 4-3. And I think BA beat Putnam North last night but I can't find a verified score.

Union beat Bartlesville 2-0. The weird thing about Bartlesville is they have about 7 players who have played together since they were 11 years old on the NEOFC '06 team. They are technically sound and they have a good understanding of the game, they just don't have the straight up speed that teams like Union have. Bartlesville is really good in the air and really dangerous on set pieces in and around the box. Union's 1st goal was pretty, some nice passing in the 18 to find an open shot. Bartlesville keeper had a nice game making some really crazy clutch saves otherwise this game could have gotten out of hand. Union got a MF back who hadn't been academically eligible yet this year until this week and he made a huge difference. Really really good with the ball at his feet, tight control, and an ability to see the field and make the right distributions. 2nd goal for Union came with about 15 minutes left...Union forward, who was clearly offside (by 5 yards) receives a through ball and sprints into the box with the ball and slotted a nice past to the far post for an uncontested tap in. Bartlesville players all come to the ref to protest, coach is screaming his head off, the parents were incensed. Ref walks over to the AR to discuss the play, points to the center to award the goal. Union kid was 5 yards offside from my vantage point. It wasn't a step or close, it was 5 damn yards. But it's hard for an AR to call him offside when he was standing 10 yards away from the back of Bartlesville's defensive line. The guy didn't run a step the entire game. My son said he and his teammates on the bench were talking about how bad he was between his positioning, lack of movement, and improper mechanics. It was weird. And it just shows you how short OSSAA is on quality officials. This is the 2nd varsity match Union has had with an AR who was immobile...they were unable to run. I'm not the fastest but I'm going to run at my full speed to keep up with the play as much as possible. These 2 never moved past slow walk.

On the west side of the state...I can't figure anything out. Everyone is beating everyone.

My son played in a JV game today vs BA. He had a nice half. No GA, 6 saves including a triple save that started with a stone dead stop on a 1v1 followed by a nice recovery and follow up save twice before the ball got cleared out.

Game ended in a 1-1 tie as the GK in the 2nd half didn't play so well and BA helped him out by missing the goal several times.

I know this will sound like a weird question, but does your son wear a cup when he's out there minding the net?

Strange high school sports fact. Soccer is the only 6A sport where Seniors are allowed to play JV.

Strange high school sports fact. Soccer is the only 6A sport where Seniors are allowed to play JV.
Yep. Weird thing at Union is there are 2 JV teams. 1 is mostly FR and SO although there is 1 SR that plays with them because he splits his time between soccer and tennis (which is weird). The other one is mostly JR/SR with a couple of SO who get rostered with varsity but not always play. Anyway, when my son was a FR/SO and playing on that team, they were really good and they played a schedule heavy with 4A and 5A varsity teams...and kicking the crap out of them. The upper JV team this year is pretty good as a whole although there are some glaring weaknesses when there is an injury. The lower JV team this year is just terrible. Like, really really bad which makes me concerned for what happens to Union's varsity in 2 years. Next year they will be fine but their GK situation is probably going to be the weakest it's been in 10 years. The 2 JRs are not very good and very inconsistent with aspects of the game many would consider vital to being a solid GK. They lose a CB but I think they'll be OK there, the outside FBs will be fine next year, the MF should be fine next year, and they will return some pretty good Fs. Matter of fact, looking ahead to next year, I think only BK returns their GK and he's pretty good and BA has a kid on JV that I think should get the starting nod next year. Jenks loses 2 SR GKs, Bixby loses a SR GK and there's not much behind them at either school (from what I've seen so far). 6A could be a complete crap shoot next year to be honest. BA loses a ton of starters to graduation. Union loses maybe 3-4 but they will be OK if they can get a GK to step up.

So OSSAA is kind of weird with how they allow student athletes to participate. Football players are not allowed to start practicing or doing anything with basketball or wrestling until their football season is over. Basketball players aren't allowed to participate in Spring sports (soccer, tennis, golf, baseball) until their basketball season has concluded. BUT, players are allowed to participate in multiple sports in the same season. As mentioned, there is a soccer player who also plays varsity tennis at Union. The girls team has a starting defender who also plays varsity tennis. It makes so sense to me that OSSAA would restrict kids from playing/practicing for sports that are in different seasons but it's fine to play 2 sports in the same season. This was a big issue for the girls soccer team a couple years ago because Taylor Malham missed the 1st 5-6 games of the season while finishing up basketball.

BTW, senior night for Union is next Friday vs Bishop Kelley if anyone wants to come out. 4:30 JV, 8:00PM varsity boys, senior night activities probably starting around 7:30pm for the boys.

Reactions: lawpoke87
I don't know any goalkeepers or even soccer players that do. He's taken a couple shots there over the years but that hasn't driven him to want to wear one.
I took one there 2, maybe 3 times in 10 years of rec soccer. The 10 or 15 min of agonizing pain, aggregate wasn't worth wearing one every game.

You are more likely to see a dip cup on an Oklahoma pitch before you’d see a nut cup.

• Love
Union girls lead Bixby 2-0 with about 25 min left. Union has exposed Bixby's lack of athleticism on the backline but Bixby has been the better technical team except when it comes to finishing. And Union started with 4 in the back and they've lost control of the midfield because of it. When they play 3-5-2 they've really put a lot of pressure on teams and this game they've played conservative and they've lost a lot of control and are just hammering the ball up the field and hoping Hailey Green can run onto it because when she is in the ball I haven't seen a back yet who can really slow her down.

Bixby girls are struggling this year. Some of the younger girls are frustrated. Coach tends to play the older girls over more talented younger players. The phrase “they’ve paid their dues” is often used.

Union girls won 4-0 and finished a player up as a Bixby player got sent off for a magic set of words towards the ref.

Union boys lead Bixby 2-0 at half. Union will play up a player the rest of the game as Johan Mendez, probably the 2nd best player in Bixby was shown two successive yellows for mouthing off to the ref after a no call. It might have been a foul but after you're shown the first card, you need to shut your mouth and the Bixby coaches couldn't get him off the field fast enough to save him.

To the actual action, Union has pretty much dominated the game with good control in the MF and good movement. Cesar Urqiiza is finally eligible and the speed Union can run at times at the 6, 7,8,9, 10 & 11 spots is staggering...and they still have players to bring off the bench and not lost much speed (they aren't quite as technically gifted). Bixby has parked the bus from the get go keeping 9 behind the ball at all times and they're simply looking to hit #18 on clearances. He's super fast but Union has done a good job of leaning on him and not letting him get free runs. Bixby has had a couple of counters and chances but I don't think the Union GK has had to make a save yet.

BTW, Union won 3-2. As my son said, we're pretty good when we're not screwing around. Well, the screwed around for a good portion of the 2nd half and let Bixby back in the game. 1st goal was a breakdown. Somehow Bixby had a player free at the top of the 6 and 2 Union defenders whiffed on clearing it. 2nd goal was a PK that Union was lucky to not have had the player sent off.

After that Union decided to go back to how they were playing in the 1st half and Chris Molina ran past 5 Bixby defenders and took a tight angle shot that somehow the Bixby keeper misread or guess incorrectly that it was going near post and it actually snuck in far post. Union probably should have tacked on at least 1 more. They will need to be better at finishing. There should be an issue the next 2-3 games for Union and the district title should come down the Jenks game. They will absolutely need to finish better against Jenks b/c Jack Franklin isn't going to give up any cheap goals.

Full slate of HS district games tonight. Union hosts Southmoore. Not sure how good Southmoore is. They lost to Bixby 4-3. Bixby plays Sand Springs tonight, that game could go either way.

Handful of good players in Sand Springs. Bixby won in PKs. Union lost to Southmoore 2-0. The game was a disaster, ref was just awful, and Union reverted to hero ball after giving up an early goal. Add to it they played without a key player (ineligible due to in school suspension for skipping class), and they played the last 15 minutes down a man for a red card due to a fight...not sure how you have a fight with only one person as he was the only player shown a card during this melee and the Southmoore player that both instigated the action and retaliated got nothing. Like I said the ref was just a clown all night and seemed to dislike Hispanic players. Union was fine getting the ball into the offensive 1/3 but just couldn't hit the target which is unfortunate because the Southmoore keeper didn't appear to be very good at anything other than wasting time. Southmoore's first goal came right after a Union defender got blasted in the face and went down (45 yds from goal). Why the referee didn't stop play immediately for a head injury (player did leave the game and didn't return presumably for a concussion) is beyond me as the laws at every level pretty much mandate that for anything suspected to be a head injury. Play continues while this player is on the ground clutching his head.

2nd goal, the Union GK just gave the ball away ( not my son) at the top of the box. Union basically stopped playing at that point despite there still being 27 min left.

Fight carries an additional 2 game suspension so Union will be without their 2 best players for Senior night (both seniors) and next week vs Sand Springs. Just a brutal night for Union and it's one of the reasons there were lots of doubts about this coach when he was hired. The culture of the program has gone to crap...and it's not just about losing a game, just the attitude of the players, the lack of care regarding academics, and so on.

Just an update for anyone interested in attending Union senior night tonight. Varsity boys game will start at 8pm and they'll do the senior recognition after the game. Apparently the boys felt they didn't get a proper warm-up before the game on Tuesday because they did "homecoming" between the boys and girls games. My son is slated to start this game along with the rest of the seniors. 1 has to sit out because of the red card the other day, meaning there will be 2 seniors who come on as subs. The other goalkeeper is going to play the field...which is what he does for his TSC RL club team. He's a super athletic kid and a pretty good field player. There are probably 2 of the seniors who will struggle in this game. 1 hasn't played in HS before this season but he is a super athletic kid who was part of Union's basketball team and has run track in the past. His brother is a coach at Union now and coaxed him to come join the team after basketball season was over. His dad is also a well known youth coach in the area. The other kid has only been playing soccer for a few years and at Union the last 2. This kid has an absolute rocket of a leg and can hammer a shot when given enough time. We'll see how things go...Union pretty much needs to win 1 of their last 3 to ensure their spot in the playoffs.

Classy move by Union to recognize the Seniors in that manner. Congrats to your kiddo. Well done

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT