ADVERTISEMENT

Local HS Soccer

So I went to the Owasso @ Bixby match the other night. The game started just as the front blew in so the GKs had a devil of a time. Owasso scored first off a corner that the Bixby keeper just absolutely butchered. He called for the ball, his D clears out and then he waited and the ball never reached him. Not sure who put the ball in but it went into the net. Not sure if it was an own goal or not but the GK was severely out of position on the corner. At his height he should be in the middle of the goal, about a pace off the line unless an attacker is forcing him elsewhere.

Bixby scored the next 2. 1 was a PK that I honestly thought the kid took a dive. He had the ball in the box and closed down by 3 Owasso defenders...he wasn't going anywhere. From where I was, he wasn't touched and just went down. Owasso GK actually made the save on the PK but it went right back to the shooter. 2nd goal came off a corner that went directly in at the back post. Wind aided. Of course the ref missed the Bixby player who literally ran into the back of the keeper to prevent him from getting to the ball. I would have whistled for a foul in that situation.

Not sure how Owasso didn't score in the 2nd half. But HS kids need to learn, the taller the GK, the lower you should shoot. Will is going to get to anything waist high or above. He's 6'4 with decent reaction. What he lacks is a reliable pair of hands and an ability to get down quickly. 2nd half the Bixby coach wasn't messing around with the wind at all. CB took all of the goal kicks. Most weren't even close to getting to MF. One punt, I watched the ball and it went about 15 yards forward and then took a left turn and went over the touchline by 25 yards. I think Bixby crossed MF maybe 2x with control of the ball in the 2nd half.

My take away is Owasso is a more complete team and they were better suited at working the ball through the MF into the attack. And Owasso has some serious speed up top and they did a good job of exploiting that advantage in getting the ball into dangerous areas wide. Bixby had the 2 best players in #9 Troy Nguyen and #10 Johan Mendez. Bixby lacks speed in the front and a lot of their goals are probably coming from those 2 players beating a defender 1 on 1. Bixby's outside defenders were a mess that night...some really poor decisions in their defending technique. The CB is a nice player. He plays at Blitz so I'm familiar with his game. He plays the 6 at Blitz though and that role seems to be better suited for him than CB as he's able to use his IQ and vision to get the ball moving forward. At Bixby they use him almost more like a sweeper but they start out in a 4 man backline but he always seems to be a little further back to clean up the messes left for him. If teams press Owasso on goal kicks or when the keeper has the ball in his hands, they can easily force a turnover. Press him and force him to play a "long" goal kick and you can be back in the attack almost immediately. Punts, just send a couple players to MF and be first to the ball.

Son played in a JV game against BA yesterday. Don't give up any goals but his team didn't score either. 0-0 draw.

Today, Union varsity beat Rogers (AR) Mounties 3-1

Bixby varsity girls had three ECNL players suffer ACL injuries playing school ball this past week. Tough week to say the least. Has a taking a second look at playing high school ball next year.

Bixby varsity girls had three ECNL players suffer ACL injuries playing school ball this past week. Tough week to say the least. Has a taking a second look at playing high school ball next year.
Finish the sentence, it's missing a few words.

All they do is play on Turf, which ups the knee injuries.

the coaches have them play in BS meaningless JV games then turn around and want them playing in varsity games right after. It is wild. I have seen it at all of the high schools.

If I have a JV soccer game and then I have an NL-ECNL game the next day against the Texans, I am Not playing the JV game coach. He or she should respect that, or he or she can buzz off.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Finish the sentence, it's missing a few words.
lol. Has us rethinking playing high school soccer. Not sure the benefit outweighs the risks. A lot of field time whether it’s training or playing for girls who are at higher risk due to the fact they’re going through puberty.

Tulsarulz is correct. The school coaches on a whole seem to have less regard to health than I would like to see. There are exceptions of course. You’re asking a 15 year old girl to club train, school train, club play and school play. The club’s position is club first. The school is trying to win a district and state title.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I have peeped that Tulsasoccerguy's facebook page and it looks like some of the local HS coaches have bitched about club soccer coaches saying it should take priority. I think there was an Oolagha coach specifically.

As I have said here, it is all about what you want out of soccer. If your girl is an ENCL-NL player, she will get some level of college offer. She is not playing a JV game the night before. If she is a third-tier NEOFC, Bixby JV might seem like a big step up.

We played waaaaaay too many games when I was in high school. At least they recognized that now and have tried to cut that down on the club side with the ECNL and MLS-NEXT stuff. We used to play, JV, Varsity, on Tuesday and Friday and maybe go to a tournament. It was pretty outrageous when I look back on it.

People like Tulsasoccerguy and TU_bla think all of America's soccer problems will be cured by making our high schools the size of Union and playing locally. I think that is hilarious.

ECNL-NL along with many of the member clubs have made an effort to allow their girls to play high school ball. FC Dallas last league game was Dec 10. Our next league game is April 28. That’s a 4 1/2 month break from official league games. However, those girls are still training 3x a week. Still playing showcases, friendlies, and scrimmages. Add to that a high school schedule of 4-5 trainings or games a week. Two of the injured girls at Bixby are freshmen. Both may miss at least of portion of their sophomore club year. The most important period as far as recruiting. However, a lot of kids have dreamed since they were young players of suiting up for their high school varsity team. Tough decision especially for girls due to their higher likelyhood for serious injuries.

TSG has some bitterness for a certain club as well as the local club soccer scene in general. Some of it is well founded especially at the academy level and those teams who aren’t playing on the ECNL platform.

I have peeped that Tulsasoccerguy's facebook page and it looks like some of the local HS coaches have bitched about club soccer coaches saying it should take priority. I think there was an Oolagha coach specifically.

As I have said here, it is all about what you want out of soccer. If your girl is an ENCL-NL player, she will get some level of college offer. She is not playing a JV game the night before. If she is a third-tier NEOFC, Bixby JV might seem like a big step up.

We played waaaaaay too many games when I was in high school. At least they recognized that now and have tried to cut that down on the club side with the ECNL and MLS-NEXT stuff. We used to play, JV, Varsity, on Tuesday and Friday and maybe go to a tournament. It was pretty outrageous when I look back on it.

People like Tulsasoccerguy and TU_bla think all of America's soccer problems will be cured by making our high schools the size of Union and playing locally. I think that is hilarious.
Thanks for the fresh air. Been singing your tune for a decade on here.

lol. Has us rethinking playing high school soccer. Not sure the benefit outweighs the risks. A lot of field time whether it’s training or playing for girls who are at higher risk due to the fact they’re going through puberty.

Tulsarulz is correct. The school coaches on a whole seem to have less regard to health than I would like to see. There are exceptions of course. You’re asking a 15 year old girl to club train, school train, club play and school play. The club’s position is club first. The school is trying to win a district and state title.
Depends on the school. BA & Union basically allot you to a team and that's where you're playing all season (on the girls side) anyway. I think BA does it on the boys side as well. You know how I know? You've got a lot of duplicate low numbers in the program. I know at Union Coach Rozell basically assigns you to a team and that's it. So if you're a backup on varsity, you will get relatively few minutes throughout the season. Barring injury or academic ineligibility you don't see a ton of player movement in some of these programs.

But the turf is an absolute disaster and it's harder on the girls than the boys because of some anatomical differences. The turf at the the Union Soccer Complex is probably 10 years old now. And probably 3-4 years past its recommended life expectancy. It's slated to be replaced in the next year or two thanks to a bond passage.

Also, blame OSSAA. Many of the states around us have rules that say no club soccer while high school is in season. OSSAA doesn't have such a rule and you essentially get kids playing too much without any regards for recovery time. I felt bad on Saturday as Union's boys played Rogers Mounties (AR). I found out they played a Friday night game up in Bartlesville. HS coaches shouldn't be doing that to these kids. 3 days is the minimum recommended recovery time between matches. Day after should be a light activity day, light running, stretching, etc. for recovery, day 2 can resume a normal training, day 3 should only be a light practice. Union has a stretch of a game on Tuesday night against Mustang in OKC followed by a game on Thursday night vs NW Classes in OKC. Why the quick turnaround? Because OKCPS doesn't have enough facilities and they all share Taft. So yeah, play 2 in 3 days against good sides with the 2nd coming at a stadium where the turf is perhaps the worst in the entire state. They need to do better by these kids if they want them to continue to play (which the OSSAA could care less about soccer...go read the rules on their website and it's apparent they were written by someone without a shred of soccer knowledge. They read like football rules).

Turf is an issue especially for the girls. If you play TSC NL and at Bixby every training is on turf. Every home game is on turf. Almost every high school away game is on turf. It’s not surprising the odds finally catch up to some of them.

Turf is an issue especially for the girls. If you play TSC NL and at Bixby every training is on turf. Every home game is on turf. Almost every high school away game is on turf. It’s not surprising the odds finally catch up to some of them.
The only time my son plays on grass now is when he's playing a club game. Every HS practice and game is on the aforementioned turf. He's got probably 2 tournaments left, one will be on only turf in St. Louis and the other is Blitz which will be a combo of grass or turf at Indian Springs (likely his age group gets the turf). And depending on where State Cup is held, maybe some grass fields. I don't think he's played on grass a single time in his 3+ years in HS.

ECNL-NL along with many of the member clubs have made an effort to allow their girls to play high school ball. FC Dallas last league game was Dec 10. Our next league game is April 28. That’s a 4 1/2 month break from official league games. However, those girls are still training 3x a week. Still playing showcases, friendlies, and scrimmages. Add to that a high school schedule of 4-5 trainings or games a week. Two of the injured girls at Bixby are freshmen. Both may miss at least of portion of their sophomore club year. The most important period as far as recruiting. However, a lot of kids have dreamed since they were young players of suiting up for their high school varsity team. Tough decision especially for girls due to their higher likelyhood for serious injuries.

TSG has some bitterness for a certain club as well as the local club soccer scene in general. Some of it is well founded especially at the academy level and those teams who aren’t playing on the ECNL platform.

My 5-year-old son says he hates outdoor turf already. I thought that was hilarious.

Depends on the school. BA & Union basically allot you to a team and that's where you're playing all season (on the girls side) anyway. I think BA does it on the boys side as well. You know how I know? You've got a lot of duplicate low numbers in the program. I know at Union Coach Rozell basically assigns you to a team and that's it. So if you're a backup on varsity, you will get relatively few minutes throughout the season. Barring injury or academic ineligibility you don't see a ton of player movement in some of these programs.

But the turf is an absolute disaster and it's harder on the girls than the boys because of some anatomical differences. The turf at the the Union Soccer Complex is probably 10 years old now. And probably 3-4 years past its recommended life expectancy. It's slated to be replaced in the next year or two thanks to a bond passage.

Also, blame OSSAA. Many of the states around us have rules that say no club soccer while high school is in season. OSSAA doesn't have such a rule and you essentially get kids playing too much without any regards for recovery time. I felt bad on Saturday as Union's boys played Rogers Mounties (AR). I found out they played a Friday night game up in Bartlesville. HS coaches shouldn't be doing that to these kids. 3 days is the minimum recommended recovery time between matches. Day after should be a light activity day, light running, stretching, etc. for recovery, day 2 can resume a normal training, day 3 should only be a light practice. Union has a stretch of a game on Tuesday night against Mustang in OKC followed by a game on Thursday night vs NW Classes in OKC. Why the quick turnaround? Because OKCPS doesn't have enough facilities and they all share Taft. So yeah, play 2 in 3 days against good sides with the 2nd coming at a stadium where the turf is perhaps the worst in the entire state. They need to do better by these kids if they want them to continue to play (which the OSSAA could care less about soccer...go read the rules on their website and it's apparent they were written by someone without a shred of soccer knowledge. They read like football rules).
Is it the states that have those rules, or is it that the clubs just decide to make a decision to just power it down? That seems like something totally beyond the state's ability to regulate. It is ridiculous, actually.

But I could see the rural schools trying to do something like that here. Based on conversations I have had here, that is the divide. Even though they think it is a public vs private thing, it is really urban vs rural. The rural schools suck because the coaching and club soccer is non-existent. OSSAA can get out voted on the rural level by total ignorants.

My 5-year-old son says he hates outdoor turf already. I thought that was hilarious.
lol. My almost 14 daughter concurs. The turf burns she has from slide tackles are rough.

Ecnl girls would choose club over high school if they were forced to choose 100% of the time

Is it the states that have those rules, or is it that the clubs just decide to make a decision to just power it down? That seems like something totally beyond the state's ability to regulate. It is ridiculous, actually.

But I could see the rural schools trying to do something like that here. Based on conversations I have had here, that is the divide. Even though they think it is a public vs private thing, it is really urban vs rural. The rural schools suck because the coaching and club soccer is non-existent. OSSAA can get out voted on the rural level by total ignorants.
I know in Kansas, it's a rule. There was a club in the EA Midwest league that wasn't allowed to play any games until the HS season ended. My understanding is rostering kids on a club team and a HS team simultaneously could result in forfeiture of HS games if it's found out. And we all know how cut throat and political soccer is. You'd better believe some parent whose kid plays club soccer but not HS knows which kids play HS soccer and are 100% ready to turn them in. They didn't play their first EA games until a mid-December showcase. In Oklahoma, it would probably hurt places like BA, Jenks, and Owasso if there was an either or rule in effect. Granted, Oklahoma doesn't have any OPL leagues for HS age in Spring, and ECNL leagues are mostly over. Weird thing is there is an ECNL Showcase in Round Rock April 19-21. OK still has HS games and many will be meaningful games for a lot of schools still trying to finish high enough to make playoffs. My son's Blitz 05/06 team is scrambling to find players to go to this showcase as the 3 GKs in the age group and several other key players are all tied up with their HS teams that night. Union plays Jenks on the 19th and Bixby has a game (just not sure who they're playing). And a couple of the other players from Bishop kelley will also be playing that night. Right now the coaches are asking 2nd and 3rd team kids about playing. That'd be a great showing when Blitz has struggled in their ECNL-RL leagues already.

I asked why are they doing that showcase then? Well, TX HS soccer is done around the 1st week of April. They play in Spring but they start games in January right after they come back from break.

There was an ecnl showcase in Dallas two weeks ago. Right in the middle of the Texas high school soccer season. Every Texas ecnl club participated. Texas high school understand where they stand in regards to ecnl. We played teams from Florida, Georgia and NY btw.

Union hosts Springdale (AR) today at 8 if you want to come by and check out some local HS soccer. Jenks is also hosting Norman North tonight. I would say the Jenks game will provide some insight into which of the west side teams you'll need to keep an eye on. Norman North is usually pretty solid.

Reactions: lawpoke87
Union hosts Springdale (AR) today at 8 if you want to come by and check out some local HS soccer. Jenks is also hosting Norman North tonight. I would say the Jenks game will provide some insight into which of the west side teams you'll need to keep an eye on. Norman North is usually pretty solid.
Jenks v Norman North should be an entertaining game. How good is Springdale compared to the top Oklahoma sides?

Jenks v Norman North should be an entertaining game. How good is Springdale compared to the top Oklahoma sides?
They're decent. They play over the top and run onto it. Union last 4-3 (7-6 in PKs). My son didn't play in this one, but probably should have gotten the call for PKs.

This game probably should have seen 3-4 red cards and Springdale's coach should have been sent off for shoving a Union player. Ref completely lost control of the game early on. It got pretty testy.

They're decent. They play over the top and run onto it. Union last 4-3 (7-6 in PKs). My son didn't play in this one, but probably should have gotten the call for PKs.

This game probably should have seen 3-4 red cards and Springdale's coach should have been sent off for shoving a Union player. Ref completely lost control of the game early on. It got pretty testy.
So how many actual bookings were there ?

Jenks and Norman North boys tie 1-1 in reg. Didn’t watch the PKs so I’m not sure who got the win there.

Jenks girls handled Norman North with relative ease 3-1. Looks like Jenks is the best girls team in the state again. They are loaded

So how many actual bookings were there ?
2. 1 yellow to Springdale for an obvious tactical foul that stopped an attack. 1 red to a Union player who went into a scrum and pushed a Springdale player to get him off of a teammate. The red was a little harsh IMO, and if you're issuing a red to that player for that action, then there needed to be a 2nd red to a Springdale player who them grabbed that Union player and then hip tossed him out of the scrum. And all of it could have probably been prevented by issuing 2-3 yellows in the 1st half for the BS that happened and then followed up with a couple more for some obvious tactical fouls to stop attacks. TBH, Union was lucky the GK didn't pick up a red as he grabbed the foot of a Springdale attacker in the box in the 2nd half.

How the Springdale coach got to stay on the sideline after putting his hands on a Union player is still beyond me.

You can watch it on YouTube...go to UView and the replay should be available.

Jenks and Norman North boys tie 1-1 in reg. Didn’t watch the PKs so I’m not sure who got the win there.

Jenks girls handled Norman North with relative ease 3-1. Looks like Jenks is the best girls team in the state again. They are loaded
Jenks lost the shootout as the final recorded score was 2-1 in favor of Norman North.

Owasso beat Bishop Kelley 6-2, and BA tied Bartlesville 2-2 (BA won the shootout).

I am not confident the east side will win boys 6A. There's talent there but it's too spread out. Union and BA play too much hero ball, especially when they're down. Jenks relies too much on their backline and GK to bail them out. And they play just like they did last year...play to get the game to PKs. Union works the ball well into the attacking 1/3 but then they stop moving the ball and go hero mode trying to create a shot. Owasso has a solid team but they don't really have the speed up top to break down teams like Union and BA or Jenks. Bartesville is no good and this should be the best team they've had in a while as I know the crop of 06s they have and they're pretty good...but they lost to Edison the other day and Edison was playing without several starters.

BTW, Oklahoma has straight up the worst soccer rules, almost like OSSAA has no regard for FIFA/IFAB laws, etc. The substitution rule that they must leave over the sideline where the bench is located is just stupid and it slows play down. OSSAA rules also state that team benches should be on opposite sidelines whenever possible. Also, the dumbest thing ever. Tell me this is not a straight up football rule. The need to settle ties with PKs right away, and in non-district games is just ridiculous. They award margin points (go ahead and read OSSAA's football rules and why you have Union, Bixby, etc. running up football scores). I've been recruited to start doing HS games and I'm going to get together a group of refs I know that do games and maybe the game action rules should actually be written, or at least consulted on, by the people that know the game and laws the best...the referees. OSSAA acts like if it could do away with sports that aren't football, they would.

I have worked quite a bit with one of the ARs from last night's game. Next time we work a game together I need to ask him about the conversations the crew had about the scuffles.

BTW, Union and Springdale play again this weekend as part of the Bentonville HS soccer tournament. That should be fun.

The one argument I can see for going straight to PKs is there’s usually a game before the boys varsity match. If that game goes to an extra period(s) and then PKs and if the boys game does as well then you’re going to have kids getting home very late on school nights. Especially if you’re playing in Jenks and have to drive back to Norman.

The one argument I can see for going straight to PKs is there’s usually a game before the boys varsity match. If that game goes to an extra period(s) and then PKs and if the boys game does as well then you’re going to have kids getting home very late on school nights. Especially if you’re playing in Jenks and have to drive back to Norman.
Why the need to settle non-district matches or regular season matches period? Count it as a point and use other tie breakers to determine playoff seeding later on.

Reactions: lawpoke87
Why the need to settle non-district matches or regular season matches period? Count it as a point and use other tie breakers to determine playoff seeding later on.
We all know non-soccer people hate ties :)

Draws should be fine in non-district play. Head-to-head and goal differential should settle things. PKs are ridiculous.

Draws should be fine in non-district play. Head-to-head and goal differential should settle things. PKs are ridiculous.
PKs before you get to knock out rounds of playoffs are ridiculous. Head to head and GD with the caveat that there is a max of +5 in a game. Teams shouldn't be out there running up the scores to gain extra GD margin, or as OSSAA likes to call them "Margin Points".

Union lost 1-0 to Bentonville last night in The 1st round of the AR-OK Shootout Tournament in Bentonville. This was the last game of the day and started just as the weather blew in. 30 mph winds and rain that was coming in sideways. And it was cold. My son played the 2nd half of this game and went into the teeth of the wind and rain. Bentonville scored about 5 minutes in off of a corner. They have got a very talented striker with a nose for the ball. Big and physical and probably has a 30" vertical. Union had zero answers for him defensively in the air. He got a couple of other clean headers that luckily weren't on target. Union played well in the 1st half but could find the back of the net. Best chance came with the 8 hammering a shot from about 25 that forced the GK to make a nice diving save. 2nd half Union looked disinterested in the game and like they wanted to be back at the rental house and dry and warm.

2nd game today at 9am bs Springdale. Rematch of the game earlier this week where things got pretty testy,

Union lost 1-0 to Springdale today. My wife related that my son started and played the 1st half and conceded nothing. 2nd half, different GK, conceded off of another set piece. This is 3 set piece goals conceded in the last 3 games. Union played without at least 1 started and 1 key bench player today due to injuries picked up in the cold monsoon last night.

One more game today vs Rogers Heritage. I saw their game last night...they're pretty solid. Will be a tough match for Union in their current form.

Union lost 1-0 to Springdale today. My wife related that my son started and played the 1st half and conceded nothing. 2nd half, different GK, conceded off of another set piece. This is 3 set piece goals conceded in the last 3 games. Union played without at least 1 started and 1 key bench player today due to injuries picked up in the cold monsoon last night.

One more game today vs Rogers Heritage. I saw their game last night...they're pretty solid. Will be a tough match for Union in their current form.
Happy to see your kid getting varsity minutes and playing very well in those minutes. Congrats to him

You guys pull out a “W”?
3-0 in this one for Union. Weird it was that lopsided because the night before Rogers looked really good with good ball movement and build up through the MF. Of course the last game of 3 in less than 24 hours and some teams struggle with finding that energy. Union seemed to save all of theirs for this game.

Been a hot minute, but HS soccer restarted after Spring break, and for some schools they even played at tournaments over Spring break. The Union girls along with Owasso HS girls won their respective brackets at the Southern Coast Cup on Gulf Shores, AL. Both went 3-0. Owasso didn't allow a goal while Union allowed 2. Bixby and BA girls were also there in different brackets. Bixby boys also went and went 1-2 (Bixby JV won their JV bracket).

Monday night Jenks beat Owasso 2-1 with a goal in the last minute of the game. Last night Union went to Mustang and lost 2-1. Union dominated the game for the 1st 30 minutes and had Mustang's MF running in circles. It was the best I've seen this group play. Ball was moving, players were in space and moving off the ball, and it was a pretty coordinated attack. Took a 1-0 about 15 minutes in on some brilliant build up and a nice finish.

Let me tell you something about Mustang. They are a GIANT team. I'm pretty sure their back line and the 6 were probably part of Mustang's basketball team. They had 5 kids taller than Union's tallest player. And they're not slow. They found an equalizer about 6 minutes before half and Union's play changed. And my son said before the season started exactly how things would go when this team concedes a goal and faces some adversity. They resort to trying to beat everyone 1v1. Union has 3 players who are pretty much faster than anyone on most teams with the ball at their feet. Defenders struggle to catch back up once they go past you. Problem is, once the get in that position, no one makes the necessary supportive runs to the open spaces usually at the far post. And Mustang's GK could be had. I questioned his decision making and then his hands complemented his soccer IQ...in a word, they were not good. 1st half ended 1-1.

2nd half, my son gets to play. He was solid but Mustang found a goal about 8 minutes in. Good ball to the outside up the right and Union's defender went to bump the player off the ball and ended up slipping down, other CB slides over, the 6 was trapped up field, the outside RB for Union slid into the vacated CB slot in the box...and there were no other defenders in sight. Ball gets slid across the entirety of the box to a far post run of a Mustang player who was completely unmarked. This is not unusual, but the fact the ball went through the entirety of the box on the ground with no defenders around to get a touch or just put it out is telling as to how out of position everyone was. Kid tucked it in back post...my son made a late dive to try to get a piece but there was really no chance.

From this point, things got physical and the ref, who called a pretty tight, fair game in the 1st half, sort of tilted things. Union never redound their form although they did generate a few more chances, a couple missing just wide or high and 1 sitter off a misplay by the keeper that the Union player wasn't ready for and it went under his foot.

2 Union players had to leave the game momentarily for bloody noses, one from an elbow that got missed by the ref and my son who came out in a corner to punch the ball away and ended up catching a Mustang player's head. Weird thing is I didn't see an AT from Mustang at the game, and if they were there they didn't offer any assistance to the Union players who had to come out. I know Union's ATs always help any player, either side, if it's needed.

If the coaches at Union can somehow get through to the boys that if they can sustain the level of play from the first 30 minutes to an entire game, they can handle Jenks, Bixby, and anyone else on this side of the state as no one has the speed to keep up with them when they are playing g technically sound. I've seen all the 6A teams on this side of the state play in games that count and none have shown an ability to move the ball like Union can. I suspect Jenks will go into their low block as they have done the last 2 seasons and they have shown a propensity to do this year against equal or better teams (BA). Bixby is no good and the game plan should be to stop #9 and #10 and then you're good. Owasso is meh. To me BA is wasting their talent on Schmoker's style of play which has always been direct over the top type of stuff. They've got a couple of forwards who are decent but the goal for them is to always break down a defender and go 1v1.

Mustang should be there at the end but they're not very deep so it will depend on whether or not they can keep the legs fresh. Union played 20 players last night. Mustang maybe played 14 and the only time any of the kids in the back came out was when they got a yellow. I don't know anything about the Edmond sides but I've heard North and Deer Creek are pretty good. Memorial has a forward to beware of but he doesn't have much help (apparently this kid is coming to Tulsa 2x a week to train/play with the ECNL 06 group at TSC. Apparently his dad is the coach at Ed. Memorial and a known lunatic. One of the Union dads who I speak with frequently, his son is on that team as well, said he almost came to blows with this guy trying to get him to shut up and stop screaming at the refs. It jigged my memory as Union played Memorial in a preseason festival last year and their coach was in a Durant jersey on the sideline and I could hear him plain as day on the opposite side of the field.

Districts play starts Thursday. Union visits Taft to play NW Classen in OKC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT