ADVERTISEMENT

Largest environmental disaster in US history ?

lawpoke87

I.T.S. Legend
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2002
Might very well be. Don’t think the Fed’s can cover this up for much longer. This could be really bad

You are expecting logic from his observations? Some variation of the chemical spilled makes pvc.
Correct. It also makes many more things such as door and window frames, plastic bottles, food packaging, etc…. Just an odd comment to a serious situation.

What does that have to do with a train derailment ?
I was being facetious. They spilled Vinyl Chloride (VC) which is the main compound in Poly Vinyl Chloride.... PVC.

It's a sad deal. Sometimes I just resort to Gallows humor because they're literally nothing good to say about the situation. The train company needs to be taken to the woodshed, and there needs to be put greater controls in place on the movement of toxic chemicals.

Vinyl chloride, isobutylene and the other chemicals on that train are very similar to trains that traverse the nation daily. It reminds me when I am stopped for a train and read the various chemicals passing by in front of me (ethylene oxide comes to mind as I have seen the results of a detonation in a manufacturing facility).

Is this the worst accident? Probably not, but it may be significant. Our nation has a history of repeatedly creating problem polluted areas like Love Canal and Times Beach, where whole communities were eliminated because of past industry negligence.

I find it laughably inconsistent for a buffoon like Stew Peters to complain about it. After all, he decries any governmental regulation whatsoever so his only angle is to whine about the current regime that he doesn’t like. Maybe he thinks the balloon had something to do with the derailment of the train. Consider the source of the comments.

I read a bit about the rail practices that have been implemented by the railroad companies since the 90’s. It’s more efficient and allows them to cut cost in the form of fewer laborers… but it leads to longer train lengths beyond what the rail system was designed for, and it can also lead to an increased chance of safety incident due to employees not having the proper time to do safety checks of the components.

Weird to focus on the guy tweeting rather than the actual story. Which in this case is quite serious. Figure NPR would be acceptable

Rail practices making longer trains with more chemical inventory have exacerbated the problem.

In the example I referenced above, ethylene oxide is a bad actor that is shipped by rail because pipeline transport is impossible. It is highly reactive and can detonate if temperatures get too high. It is used to manufacture surfactants (soaps) and other household chemicals that are less reactive.

We would ship EO from our facility to another one about 70 miles away by rail. In reality the route might take hundreds of miles including storage of the cars along a rail siding somewhere during the transportation process.

One of these rail cars got sidelined for weeks and eventually overheated causing a detonation. The issue is tracking and ensuring this doesn’t happen, yet problems like this can occur. Derailments tend to be more common because of the maintenance practices of rail cars / tracks. We’ll see what lessons learned can be gleaned from this incident.

Yeah, blame Biden for supply chain issues that happen all around the world. It is definitely his fault.

Reactions: drboobay
Yeah, blame Biden for supply chain issues that happen all around the world. It is definitely his fault.
It started before Biden. It started with Covid.

Biden's biggest sin in this was pushing for the second stimulus which only exacerbated supply chain problems leading to inflation.

And he had little to do with this train accident other than possibly underplaying its effects.

Reactions: lawpoke87
+ it does not make sense to assign blame and credit to an administration just because something happened during its term.

By that logic the Trump administration caused Covid. Which makes as much sense as blaming Biden for this train derailment.

Now you can make the case for handling a crisis poorly but that's something different.

Reactions: watu05
+ it does not make sense to assign blame and credit to an administration just because something happened during its term.

By that logic the Trump administration caused Covid. Which makes as much sense as blaming Biden for this train derailment.

Now you can make the case for handling a crisis poorly but that's something different.
There is a report going around that the Obama administration had put in place a requirement for improved rail car brake technology (electronic systems vs the pneumatic systems that have been used since the advent of the locomotive) and that Trump’s admin repealed that which may hinder safety and allow for more derailments of shipments with hazardous materials.

Not sure that the Obama policy would have prevented this had it been in place, but some people are talking to the railroad regulators and are hearing they think it could have helped.

Last edited:
Figured it was only a matter of time before the blame Trump angle was employed. :)

Figured it was only a matter of time before the blame Trump angle was employed. :)
Let's start by blaming the train company.

I am skeptical about what everyone is saying right now. Really weird situation and press coverage.

Prelim report is a faulty wheel bearing which overheated causing the wheel to fail. Assume we will hear an official cause soon. No clue on who’s to blame for a failed wheel bearing. Might be as simple as sometimes mechanical things simply malfunction.

Prelim report is a faulty wheel bearing which overheated causing the wheel to fail. Assume we will hear an official cause soon. No clue on who’s to blame for a failed wheel bearing. Might be as simple as sometimes mechanical things simply malfunction.
The problem isn’t necessarily the bearing, it’s what safety mechanisms also failed when the bearing failed. Bearings fail all the time. That doesn’t mean you can allow trains full of toxins to derail.

It is an Item related to train derailment prevention. If it was Biden who had deregulated it, I’m sure he would have been lambasted on Fox News.

Let's start by blaming the train company.

I am skeptical about what everyone is saying right now. Really weird situation and press coverage.
I think we can both blame The train company (as well as other train companies) that lobbied and continue to lobby for safety deregulation.

These kinds of things are why deregulation is a dangerous game.

Until there’s a root cause investigation of this incident we don’t know the cause and we are speculating. Train speed, condition of the train and tracks and other factors will.be included in the review. The immediate problem is dealing with mitigating the leakage of chemicals and that will be a larger remediation effort.

biden stoped most domestic oil production, paid people not to work

• Haha
Reactions: TU 1978
biden stoped most domestic oil production, paid people not to work

No one takes you seriously.

stoped (past tense) · stoped (past participle)
  1. (in mining) excavate a series of steps or layers in (the ground or rock):
    "many thousands of tons of stone, richly laden with gold, are ready to be stoped"

They seem to be doing really well right now. Energy stocks have been a rare winner the past year or so.

Adding to the absurdity, it sounds like the railroad’s liability is increasing in how this situation transpired and was handled.

Again.... this is the flipside of the coin to arguments about Deregulation / Over Regulation.

People say regulations harm industries in terms of efficiency, profitability, or job creation.... and they absolutely do.

But, are you willing to put up with the consequences just to realize the benefits of getting rid of these regulations?

Reactions: watu05
deny me all you want but you cant refute the fscts
I can't refute the 'fscts' because there are no 'fscts' to refute. (Also, facts are inherently irrefutable..... which is what makes them facts)

Facts: According to the US Energy Information Administration, Domestic Oil Production has increased at approximately a 5% Year over Year pace since Biden took office, Domestic Natural Gas Production followed a roughly 3% Year Over Year increasing trend.

Last edited:
Again.... this is the flipside of the coin to arguments about Deregulation / Over Regulation.

People say regulations harm industries in terms of efficiency, profitability, or job creation.... and they absolutely do.

But, are you willing to put up with the consequences just to realize the benefits of getting rid of these regulations?
I assume current regulations (or lack thereof) allow rail transportation of hazardous material without labeling the same or notifying the states which those trains will cross ?

I assume current regulations (or lack thereof) allow rail transportation of hazardous material without labeling the same or notifying the states which those trains will cross ?
Apparently. I'm not an expert on it, but the excuse that I've seen has been that there is a certain threshold for the number of cars in the train carrying hazardous materials to make the entire line of cars defined as hazardous.

It's simply poor algorithmic logic to ensure safety... but it doesn't surprise me that lobbyists got it by regulators.

What logically should happen is that if any car in the train carries hazardous materials (attached to many other cars) then the entire train would need to be labeled as Hazardous.... which would likely lead to more regulation for the entire rail length on inspection and management to prevent. Thresholds tend to be arbitrary in nature... and when a single entity is physically attached to another entity then the safety standards need to extend as far as the chain extends.

I can't refute the 'fscts' because there are no 'fscts' to refute. (Also, facts are inherently irrefutable..... which is what makes them facts)

Facts: According to the US Energy Information Administration, Domestic Oil Production has increased at approximately a 5% Year over Year pace since Biden took office, Domestic Natural Gas Production followed a roughly 3% Year Over Year increasing trend.
no keystone pipeline, reduced drilling, ton of new regulation on producers, we used to export our excess oil now we are begging hostle players for theirs.

• Haha
Apparently. I'm not an expert on it, but the excuse that I've seen has been that there is a certain threshold for the number of cars in the train carrying hazardous materials to make the entire line of cars defined as hazardous.

It's simply poor algorithmic logic to ensure safety... but it doesn't surprise me that lobbyists got it by regulators.

What logically should happen is that if any car in the train carries hazardous materials (attached to many other cars) then the entire train would need to be labeled as Hazardous.... which would likely lead to more regulation for the entire rail length on inspection and management to prevent. Thresholds tend to be arbitrary in nature... and when a single entity is physically attached to another entity then the safety standards need to extend as far as the chain extends.
budigeg blames trump policies. pete had 2 years to change it and he didnt.

• Haha
The flaming train axle captured by video before the train derailment may help in the root cause analysis. Fortunately aTUfan will not be conducting the investigation because he too often wanders off in the weeds, or most likely weed.

Last edited:
Dewine is just a little bit late to the party, waiting this long to ask the federal government for assistance.

Dewine is just a little bit late to the party, waiting this long to ask the federal government for assistance.
The EPA was on site within hours of the accident. Wouldn’t that agency be the party to organize the cleanup?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT