ADVERTISEMENT

Tulsa passenger rail

The problem of urban sprawl and suburbs in the US is due to the car driven society that we have embraced for nearly a century. The expectation that everyone needs a car to get anywhere is a US expectation and problem that is not necessarily the same in other countries.

Reactions: TU_BLA and drboobay
The problem of urban sprawl and suburbs in the US is due to the car driven society that we have embraced for nearly a century. The expectation that everyone needs a car to get anywhere is a US expectation and problem that is not necessarily the same in other countries.
Or in NYC.

I have an employee there in her 30s who just learned to drive and has never owned a car!

We made the cut to the next round. Here's a link to the report. They are recommending Tulsa on the Minneapolis to San Antonio and the DFW to New York routes. Still another round before they finalize the recommendations, and then much work for prioritization and funding. Always a good idea to go back and thank the FRA study folks for including Tulsa in the plan.

We made the cut to the next round. Here's a link to the report. They are recommending Tulsa on the Minneapolis to San Antonio and the DFW to New York routes. Still another round before they finalize the recommendations, and then much work for prioritization and funding. Always a good idea to go back and thank the FRA study folks for including Tulsa in the plan.

Still think having both us and OKC going to Dallas is a waste of rail money on Tulsa to Dallas line. Maybe they think the direct line to Dallas will pay for itself with our trips to Dallas, but I question that. With the bulge to the east on our direct to Dallas line, I question that it saves enough time over going to OKC/Dallas.

Glad we are on to the next round. When do they tentatively plan to make their decision on their next round call? Will it be set in stone if we make it to the next round, or will there be another round of decisions?

Still think having both us and OKC going to Dallas is a waste of rail money on Tulsa to Dallas line. Maybe they think the direct line to Dallas will pay for itself with our trips to Dallas, but I question that. With the bulge to the east on our direct to Dallas line, I question that it saves enough time over going to OKC/Dallas.

Glad we are on to the next round. When do they tentatively plan to make their decision on their next round call? Will it be set in stone if we make it to the next round, or will there be another round of decisions?
I believe the Kansas City to Tulsa to Dallas line is there as much to serve other communities along the line as a Tulsa itself. I think you will have a number of Texas cities on that line north of Dallas as well as Muskogee and other towns on tribal lands.

I think the final round is later this year and the recommended routes, prioritization and funding ideas go to Congress. Where it goes from there we shall see. It is essentially meant as a decades long "roadmap" to use a bad pun.

Probably upgrading existing cargo lines, working with owners of those lines for access, and establishing or reestablishing a passenger depot.

State money already goes to OKC service to fort worth and both the governor and OKC mayor are supporting expanding OKC service north to Newton KS. So our tax dollars are already going to passenger rail but we get no access. State and city officials are ignoring Tulsa service despite a 1996 state law that mandates at a minimum service be established between OKC and Tulsa.

That said there is a federal study in play right now where the concept of a Tulsa hub has been proposed by the central region working group. Our city and state officials don't care but unaffiliated planners can see us as a beneficial hub location.

So there is a window of opportunity for the citizenry to bypass our officials and/or get them to pay attention.
The bolded part is what I have observed living in Tulsa for over 50 years. I’m hoping this will be different. I’m constantly amazed how poorly the Tulsa area is treated by the state of Oklahoma. We can pay tolls in 5 directions but still don’t have a legitimate 4 lane highway to Dallas, etc., etc., etc.

The bolded part is what I have observed living in Tulsa for over 50 years. I’m hoping this will be different. I’m constantly amazed how poorly the Tulsa area is treated by the state of Oklahoma. We can pay tolls in 5 directions but still don’t have a legitimate 4 lane highway to Dallas, etc., etc., etc.
I definitely trust the tribal governments more than state government when it comes to NE OK. If we can get and keep their support and city backing, we might see something happen.

Reactions: TU 1978 and TU1NNJ
Man, I wish we had that San Antonio line up and running. I've got a lot of family down there and a train would be amazing for all of us. I'll probably die before it ever happens though. Oh well.

Reactions: drboobay
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT