ADVERTISEMENT

Is tulsa really headed to pac 12

Lot’s of “smoke and mirrors” on all of the conference shuffling according to someone at TU who should be in the know.

I think Carson and Dickson are doing their due diligence to apply to the PAC even though we're not the prettiest girl at the dance. It might set us up for a move later.

Reactions: TU Pilot
I agree Drummer. I am glad that this administration isn't just sitting around waiting for the worst-case scenario to unfold. This is a very interesting time. The Pac-12 is in real trouble and there are even rumors that they could merge with the MWC. I know it's a long shot but I'm hoping that we are putting together a pitch for the PAC12 for when the 4 corner teams bolt. Like Rice and Charlotte did for the AAC. They committed to 100 million and facility upgrades. They even accepted a smaller revenue share. We can't afford to be left out. If SMU, Tulane, and Memphis move on without us we will be stuck behind for a long time.

• Wow
Reactions: TU83
I agree Drummer. I am glad that this administration isn't just sitting around waiting for the worst-case scenario to unfold. This is a very interesting time. The Pac-12 is in real trouble and there are even rumors that they could merge with the MWC. I know it's a long shot but I'm hoping that we are putting together a pitch for the PAC12 for when the 4 corner teams bolt. Like Rice and Charlotte did for the AAC. They committed to 100 million and facility upgrades. They even accepted a smaller revenue share. We can't afford to be left out. If SMU, Tulane, and Memphis move on without us we will be stuck behind for a long time.
Despite the geographic challenge, being part of the PAC 12 and winning its championship would mean a chance to play in the Rose Bowl....although who knows what changes the Bowl may make with their conference crumbling

PAC-12

USC - Big 10
UCLA - Big 10
Arizona St - Big -12 maybe
Colorado- Big 12
Arizona
Cal
Oregon - Big 10 maybe
Oregon St
Stanford
Utah
Washington - Big 10 maybe
Washington St

If all the maybes leave the Pac-12 is this

Arizona
California
Oregon St
Stanford
Utah
Washington st

They have no conference at that point. I am pretty sure they will try some merge with the Mountain West and drop Air Force and Hawaii and call themselves the PAC-12 with 16 teams

PAC-12

USC - Big 10
UCLA - Big 10
Arizona St - Big -12 maybe
Colorado- Big 12
Arizona
Cal
Oregon - Big 10 maybe
Oregon St
Stanford
Utah
Washington - Big 10 maybe
Washington St

If all the maybes leave the Pac-12 is this

Arizona
California
Oregon St
Stanford
Utah
Washington st

They have no conference at that point. I am pretty sure they will try some merge with the Mountain West and drop Air Force and Hawaii and call themselves the PAC-12 with 16 teams
Did you mean to put Arizona St instead of Arizona? I figure if Zona St and Utah don't leave the better option is inviting 6 new members.

You know they won't be making that decision though. Whatever the media tells them will make more money determines whether they join the mwc or invite six new members.

Reactions: loca2874
Did you mean to put Arizona St instead of Arizona? I figure if Zona St and Utah don't leave the better option is inviting 6 new members.

You know they won't be making that decision though. Whatever the media tells them will make more money determines whether they join the mwc or invite six new members.
You are correct that should be Arizona and not Arizona State.

Alert just came out stating that Arizona is officially with the Big 12 and that Oregon and Washington are finalizing a deal with the Big 10.

So that leaves the PAC 12 like this

Arizona St
California
Oregon St
Stanford
Utah
Washington st

The BIG 12 is now at 16 and the BIG 10 is at 18. The PAC-12 to remain any sort of relevancy will need to get to 14-16 teams. Geographically yaking all of the teams from the mountain west and dropping Hawaii and AirForce would make sense and would bring them to 16 teams.

Now they want to increase the quality then they coukd do the MW merge and drop San Jose state and either Nevada or UNLV along with AFA and Hawaii and bring in a couple of teams from another conference to broadcast the brand past the Rocky Mountains.

If they don’t make a move fast I see the Mountain West and probably the American trying to poach what’s left of the PAC 12 and the PAC 12 going defunct

If I was in charge of the Big 12 I would pass on Utah and ASU and hold out for the ACC to fall apart but it sounds like that may not happen. The MWC merger is tricky. The MWC would have to fold because they require all their teams to pay $32 million to exit. That’s a tough sell for a conference that will have a small payout and a ton of uncertainty. Best case for tulsa would be for the 4 corner teams to leave and they fill with the western AAC teams and best MWC. Or maybe somehow Aresco convinces a few Pac12 teams to join us out here. That seems unlikely though.

If Air Force gets booted, they can come to the American and then maybe we can convince Army to do the same. All sports.

Either that or we go after Stanford and Cal and Aresco/private schools sell them on the academic quality of a lot of the schools in the AAC and fitting their academic profiles.

Or maybe somehow Aresco convinces a few Pac12 teams to join us out here. That seems unlikely though.
I believe that convincing 4 of the PAC 12 teams to go AAC is very possible especially if they can’t get some good teams to join the PAC.

ASU
WSU
CAL
Stanford

Could pull the other 2 and take AAC to 18. In the end I believe the PAC 12 goes away

I believe that convincing 4 of the PAC 12 teams to go AAC is very possible especially if they can’t get some good teams to join the PAC.

ASU
WSU
CAL
Stanford

Could pull the other 2 and take AAC to 18. In the end I believe the PAC 12 goes away
I think this is the way...if the MWC doesn't pull them first, which wouldn't be awful for us either. What would be awful is SMU and Memphis jumping the gun instead of thinking this through. Ultimately being in the AAC or PAC-Pick a Number is going to be the same thing in the long run and likely playing the same schools except not having to pay initiation fees or exit fees, like SMU did for the WAC--> CUSA and then to CUSA--> AAC...to be in a conference with all the same schools they were in a conference with before.

The game of conference realignment musical chairs is in full swing again...
I don't think SMU or Memphis have anywhere to go honestly, and our conference is chalk full of mid-tier teams now with Rice, UAB, Charlotte, FAU, etc. I'm sure on those boards, they feel the same way about Tulsa as we do about them, but I'm biased and Tulsa has been playing football since the 1800s. We're always going to be outside of any "power" conference. Perhaps if the ACC falls apart someday, we can shack up with some of those teams? I think it will take a lot of winning and butts in the stands to ever have that kind of bargaining power. Tulsa makes the most of what it has. Hope our new coach can put us over the top in a big game for once. Monty used a decade of futility to suck all the optimism out of the program.

ASU
WSU
CAL
Stanford

Looks like the AAC is going to survive the PAC implosion. I don’t see anyway those teams join or take from the AAC. Just doesn’t make any sense due to travel among other things. OSU and WSA join the MWC. Stanford goes independent in football and will park their other sports in the Big West or MWC imo. Maybe Cal drops D1 athletics all together?

Next up the ACC. Big10, SEC and Big12 will all be buyers. Will enough schools leave that conference to kill it as well or will enough remain to look to the eastern schools of the AAC to backfill?

Next up the ACC. Big10, SEC and Big12 will all be buyers. Will enough schools leave that conference to kill it as well or will enough remain to look to the eastern schools of the AAC to backfill?
This unfortunately seems like the most likely scenario. The top of the ACC gets poached, the ACC takes the best of the AAC and we're left in a conference on par with the MAC, a big step down from the residue of the ACC or the MWC, in a third tier conference. I've never seen anything from Aresco to suggest he'll be able to protect the conference other than backfilling with the best of the worst remaining teams from even lower conferences.

One saving grace might be the ACC grant of rights agreement, which apparently is pretty tight.

I remember back when we were going to leave Conf USA and there was discussion about what would be better for Tulsa. AAC or Mountain West.
I was one of few who favored Mountain West.
If the above happens, seems we would be better sitting in the Mountain West right now than the AAC.
Who knows where all this will end for Tulsa.

Thirteen years ago the PAC had the most lucrative TV deal in college sports. How fast things change.

Remember the good old days when the PAC 12 had the chance to take OU, Texas, OSU and another school I can’t remember? Yeah that was a mistake.

Texas Tech was the 4th school. They really only wanted OU and Texas, but both were required to bring little brother along,

Sounds like Cal and Stanford my head o the Big-10, there are some decent schools to build a whole new conference , start around Oregon state and Washington state.......SDSU is strong, then look further East at SMU, UTSA, Utah state, Tulsa, Tulane, UTEP , Boise st. and maybe the two New Mexico schools.....that would be some good football....I would definitely watch it....and I am sure I am forgetting a school or two.....with the 12 team playoff you will be bringing in multiple non "P5" schools

A new conference, or restructuring / expansion of the PAC-4 to invite the "best of the rest".
And then one day, Stanford and Cal will jump ship when the ACC does the same thing after their dissolution; but if you stand still, you lose these days... Glad our AD put our name in the hat for consideration.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT