ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting on coaches and timing

Initials are KM. He’s taken a low major to the 2nd round of the dance, been an assistant and several high major schools, and spent the last several years coaching at the NBA level.

Hope this helps :)

I figured I’ve kept you all waiting long enough.

Initials are KM. He’s taken a low major to the 2nd round of the dance, been an assistant and several high major schools, and spent the last several years coaching at the NBA level.

Hope this helps :)

I figured I’ve kept you all waiting long enough.

Ken McDonald. Former HC at W Kentucky. Worked for Dennis Felton as assistant at W. Kentucky and Georgia and Rick Barnes at Texas. Also assistant at Clemson. Latest job was HC of Spurs G league Austin Toros.

Ken McDonald. Former HC at W Kentucky. Worked for Dennis Felton as assistant at W. Kentucky and Georgia and Rick Barnes at Texas. Also assistant at Clemson. Latest job was HC of Spurs G league Austin Toros.

He was also on the Texas staff with Haith. Lots of relationships and good HC coaching record.

Fits all the Haith connections.

McDonald has one daughter, Ella, born January 28, 2008. I was hoping for a " 5 star Junior" son at Austin Central High School who led the nation in scoring as a high school Junior. Surely we check on those things . lol......

Reactions: Bill Lowery
There is another link between Haith and KM. It's Darrin Horn and Mike Anderson. I thought I'd beat Aston to the punch.

Reactions: I.I.
At the risk of going all AstonMartin, does it seem like we focus too much on “experienced” assistants, which kind of means washed up journeymen? If they were experienced and top recruiters, reality is we wouldn’t be hiring them as assistants. Shouldn’t we have more young up and comers?

Maybe I missed something along the way here. Do we have an open spot on the coaching staff? If so who left...

That, sir; is too far. I would never drink that swill. Even as a broke college student.

I'd only give natty lite to my worst enemies. BTW; you should be on the look out for a package roughly the size and shape of a 30 rack in the next few days.

Oh it’s not that bad... but I suppose if it’s cold and yellow, I’ll probably drink it.

At the risk of going all AstonMartin, does it seem like we focus too much on “experienced” assistants, which kind of means washed up journeymen? If they were experienced and top recruiters, reality is we wouldn’t be hiring them as assistants. Shouldn’t we have more young up and comers?

I suppose arguments could be made either way on this subject, but yes Haith does seem to lean towards experience over undiscovered potential. I’m actually ok with this hire, but I can see where you’re coming from.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
I thought Tom Abatamarco was coming back.

Does he use the same old Twitter account and, if so, how many of dem ladies he was followin are now blocked Russian troll farm hotties?

I bet he’d offer the Twins and Thompson right away. Yeah, I know, we already did that.

That, sir; is too far. I would never drink that swill. Even as a broke college student.

I'd only give natty lite to my worst enemies. BTW; you should be on the look out for a package roughly the size and shape of a 30 rack in the next few days.

That’s like the opposite of the Hello Fresh package we received yesterday.

Now that it's out...what does he do for recruiting? Especially as it relates to the Boones and Thompson?

How many "fired" head coaches have we hired as assistants? Might be a record but Self and others seem to do the same. These coaches certainly have experience in running programs. But was their failure at the helm due to inadequate recruiting or poor bench coaching?

Reactions: chito_and_leon
I wonder if we are done with staff changes. I think this hire is for Xs and Os.
That'd be interesting. OSU is pretty sure they are landing the Boone's and Thompson right now. I don't think that is a given. I know OU (James Hale) has talked about Thompson as well and he is so arrogant he automatically assumes a kid from Oklahoma who is being recruited by OU is a given.

Missing Thompson would be such a big F up for us. This situation is unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future. Local product, dad played for hometown school, family has been good friends with one of our assistants for decades.

We won't get that again for another 10 years or so.

How many "fired" head coaches have we hired as assistants? Might be a record but Self and others seem to do the same. These coaches certainly have experience in running programs. But was their failure at the helm due to inadequate recruiting or poor bench coaching?
Some of it might be impatience. They had a killer non-conference schedule his last season at WKy. They started poorly in conference and he was fired mid-season. Team went 11-5 the rest of the way under the interim coach including winning the Sun Belt and going to the NCAA tournament. It wasn't personnel per se. Can't really tell if it was x's and o's at that point. Sometimes you need to hit the reset button and it worked for them that year. His first 3 years were good, good, OK. His D-League stint was pretty impressive. Of course that depends on who the parent club gets you for players as well. I think he was the coach of the kid who came to an open try out for Austin and ended up playing a ton for the Spurs a couple of years back. I still don't see how this hire excites a HS kid we're trying to recruit. Not sure where we find that person. English was that guy and Haith should have fought to keep him in the mix by finding some extra money for him.

Missing Thompson would be such a big F up for us. This situation is unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future. Local product, dad played for hometown school, family has been good friends with one of our assistants for decades.

Dante Swanson's kid is 12 now (same age as my son). Wonder if he plays basketball. We can start recruiting him once he turns 13.

Do you ever get tired of being so negative about everything related to TU sports?

No guaranteeing he'll be any good. Although he's got the genes to be good.
I know from personal experience he is blazing fast. I had to bring 2 kids in to double him in 6v6 soccer because I simply didn't have any one kid who could keep up. Had to take the space away...and at that age, they don't like to pass the ball backwards and restart.

I should have demanded an informant fee. What’s weird is how long this all took to come out in the open. This has been done for two weeks or so.
Funny thing is, nothing ever came out in public about Henderson not being retained...and if it did, it was pretty nonchalant and quiet and I don't remember seeing anything from Hines on it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT