ADVERTISEMENT

New coaching staff thread

StoopsBros

I.T.S. Freshman
Gold Member
Sep 16, 2012

Sources: Kevin Wilson bringing highly regarded Ohio State staffer to run Tulsa defense​

Matt Guerrieri had a long run at Duke, reunited in 2022 at Ohio State with Jim Knowles

Back as a head coach for the first time in six years, Kevin Wilson is working to assemble a strong first staff at Tulsa, and he's got his defensive coordinator in a key move.

Multiple sources tell FootballScoop that Matt Guerrieri has agreed to become Wilson's first defensive coordinator for the Golden Hurricane.

It's a quick return to play-calling duties for Guerrieri, who spent the 2022 season as a senior defensive analyst for Jim Knowles's Ohio State defense after Guerrieri's final four years at Duke saw him as the Blue Devils' co-defensive coordinator.

An Ohio native who starred in college at Football Championship Subdivision program Davidson, Guerrieri turned in elite work at Duke, where he was an AFCA Assistant Coach of the Year finalist for his work with the Blue Devils' defense in 2020.

Wilson and Guerrieri were colleagues the past year at Ohio State, and sources told FootballScoop that Guerrieri had made an immediate impression on Wilson -- and the entire Buckeyes' staff.

Tulsa parted with Philip Montgomery following a 5-7 2022 season. Wilson previously served as head coach six seasons at Indiana University, where Wilson gradually carved a competitive program that made back-to-back
postseason appearances in Wilson's final two seasons at the helm.

Wilson is set to be greeted with a daunting non-conference schedule in 2023; the Golden Hurricane open with FCS-program Arkansas-Pine Bluff but have scheduled road games at Oklahoma, Washington and Northern Illinois all within the season's first month.

Sources: Kevin Wilson bringing highly regarded Ohio State staffer to run Tulsa defense​

Matt Guerrieri had a long run at Duke, reunited in 2022 at Ohio State with Jim Knowles

Back as a head coach for the first time in six years, Kevin Wilson is working to assemble a strong first staff at Tulsa, and he's got his defensive coordinator in a key move.

Multiple sources tell FootballScoop that Matt Guerrieri has agreed to become Wilson's first defensive coordinator for the Golden Hurricane.

It's a quick return to play-calling duties for Guerrieri, who spent the 2022 season as a senior defensive analyst for Jim Knowles's Ohio State defense after Guerrieri's final four years at Duke saw him as the Blue Devils' co-defensive coordinator.

An Ohio native who starred in college at Football Championship Subdivision program Davidson, Guerrieri turned in elite work at Duke, where he was an AFCA Assistant Coach of the Year finalist for his work with the Blue Devils' defense in 2020.

Wilson and Guerrieri were colleagues the past year at Ohio State, and sources told FootballScoop that Guerrieri had made an immediate impression on Wilson -- and the entire Buckeyes' staff.

Tulsa parted with Philip Montgomery following a 5-7 2022 season. Wilson previously served as head coach six seasons at Indiana University, where Wilson gradually carved a competitive program that made back-to-back
postseason appearances in Wilson's final two seasons at the helm.

Wilson is set to be greeted with a daunting non-conference schedule in 2023; the Golden Hurricane open with FCS-program Arkansas-Pine Bluff but have scheduled road games at Oklahoma, Washington and Northern Illinois all within the season's first month.
One error. OU is a home game.

Sources tell FootballScoop that Kevin Wilson is adding two defensive staff members at Tulsa.

Koy McFarland will be joining the staff to coach the linebackers, sources share. McFarland spent the 2022 season at Ohio State as a defensive graduate assistant working with the linebackers, and was at Oklahoma State from 2019-21.

The other addition is Michael Hunter, who will work with the secondary / corners. Hunter played his college ball under Wilson at Indiana from 2011-14 before graduating and playing a fifth season at Oklahoma State .

He currently serves as a defensive graduate assistant on Mike Gundy's staff.

Both, along with defensive coordinator Matt Guerrieri, will bring valuable knowledge of Jim Knowles defensive system that he has successfully utilized in both Columbus and Stillwater.

We understand both hires need to go through the process before becoming official.

Nice. Looks like a good get. And an actual decent, evenhanded story for a change.
How is it even handed to almost completely neglect (or at least obfuscate) the quality of the job someone did at a previous job?

That’s not even handed. It’s a promotional piece. Which is fine… you just need to be aware that that’s what it is.

Hiring McFarland should mean Suits will be moving on or reassigned. I'm thinking he will be moving on or pick up a position like video coordinator.

Impressive hire. If we play the offensive style it appears there will be a lot of excited fans come September.

Last edited:
Reactions: dougheffking
How many WRs do we anticipate on the roster for the Fall? 14? is that enough in this offense 😂

Now for Wilson to go find his version of Charles Clay!

Reactions: Okietch51
How many WRs do we anticipate on the roster for the Fall? 14? is that enough in this offense 😂

Now for Wilson to go find his version of Charles Clay!
I assume we will be hitting the portal hard to fill out our WR room

BTW, with Dillon Gabriel proudly announcing he's returning to OU next season, I'm predicting now we beat OU next Fall. We all know Gabriel can't beat TU and we should all just bring Fat Head's of Zaven Collins to the game. Pretty sure Gabriel will fake an injury just so he doesn't have to see Collins' face ever again

BTW, with Dillon Gabriel proudly announcing he's returning to OU next season, I'm predicting now we beat OU next Fall. We all know Gabriel can't beat TU and we should all just bring Fat Head's of Zaven Collins to the game. Pretty sure Gabriel will fake an injury just so he doesn't have to see Collins' face ever again
I love how OU fans are trying to convince themselves he's awesome. He also thinks VERY highly of himself, doesn't he?

Reactions: drboobay
I love how OU fans are trying to convince themselves he's awesome. He also thinks VERY highly of himself, doesn't he?
I believe I pointed out on SM that Gabriel has yet to beat TU (or Gillespie for that matter) and OU fans didn’t appreciate that……especially since it was after the TCU loss. I told my die hard OU fans that Gabriel wasn’t as great as everyone made him out to be when he first hit OU. They all swore he was the next coming of Mayfield with the running of Murray.

I like the ol ball coach jr hire.

Dobbs is the blue print and when we follow it we have had our most success. Only the Cooper teams were run dominated. Every other period of success has been based on what I consider to be Tulsa's brand of football. Play fast, put the ball in the air, and show the people you can play.

It worked in the 60s, the 70s, what success we had in the 80s/90s, when Kragthorpe got here, through Graham and the winning seasons for both Blankenship and Monty. We have the sort of players necessary to pull off this sort of thing with the high schools in this part of the state and the plethora of Texas schools who operate in pass first offenses. It also means we can have an assortment of wide reciever types, including those over looked because they lack some measurable, but who come in hungry and with a need to prove themselves. The sort of players who regardless of position have powered past TU teams to big wins and great seasons. Plus another guy with some history in this area and connections.

Hearing the offensive and general mindset of coach Wilson, and looking at the new hire at OC, it is obvious they will work their offensive plans around the players we have. Instead of setting it in stone, and not changing a thing, no matter who is playing for us.(Monty)

Last edited:
I actually think he’s a good QB. He might not be a world beater but I think he’s solid. He misses some stuff but puts up good numbers. That being said, I think Tulsa has the best QB in the state next year.

I believe I pointed out on SM that Gabriel has yet to beat TU (or Gillespie for that matter) and OU fans didn’t appreciate that……especially since it was after the TCU loss. I told my die hard OU fans that Gabriel wasn’t as great as everyone made him out to be when he first hit OU. They all swore he was the next coming of Mayfield with the running of Murray.
Mayfield isn't blessed with the greatest physical tools, but the dude is a gamer and winner. Murray is an alien...no one on this planet has his assortment of physical gifts. For anyone to even try to compare Gabriel with either of them makes me question what narcotics they are taking.

In other coaching news, specifically OSU...their DC, Derek Mason, just resigned/retired to take a sabbatical. Wonder what Goodlow and Wright are thinking right now?

Reactions: drboobay
In other coaching news, specifically OSU...their DC, Derek Mason, just resigned/retired to take a sabbatical. Wonder what Goodlow and Wright are thinking right now?
Yuk, yuk...

Serves em tight for not taking Wilson's advice, breeaath.

We're not going to miss Wright.

I'm wondering if some of out portal losses weren't due to circumstances that Wilson outlined in the presser. As he said sometimes you gain strength through subtraction, be it culture, academic or other. Not saying this is specific to Goodlow and Wright, but it's clear that if you don't go to class and take care of business you won't be playing football for him very long and there are guys that left who weren't taking care of business in the classroom.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT