ADVERTISEMENT

Independence Bowl Bound...

I thought we were aiming for a medical RS for Lucas. No way I'd waste another full year for a bowl game...

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I thought we were aiming for a medical RS for Lucas. No way I'd waste another full year for a bowl game...

Bingo! Let the young man recover. Besides, we are pretty good even without him at WR. But the best thing is he will be a junior - again next year. But let him recover fully for now. We need to replace KG for next year and he's the one to do it. IMO

BTW how is his recovery coming along. Anyone know?

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Bingo! Let the young man recover. Besides, we are pretty good even without him at WR. But the best thing is he will be a junior - again next year. But let him recover fully for now. We need to replace KG for next year and he's the one to do it. IMO

BTW how is his recovery coming along. Anyone know?

Seems like I heard some time shortly before or after the Tulane game that recovery was going well and that he was ahead of schedule. But I can't remember where I heard it.

Reactions: TulsaCane95
I hope he's able to play at near his previous level. Look at Victor Cruz...not a good injury for an explosive player like Keevan. I hope he takes all the time he needs.

No. Patella tendon tear/rupture is a good 6-8 month recovery/rehab if you do it right and not take the Dallas Cowboys injury return timetable.

His injury occurred October 3rd, 2015, so if you are correct, he should be fully recovered 8 months from then - approximately May 3rd, 2016. Is that about right? That would give him over 3 months to get back into the groove and play next year. I assume he'll get that MRS and he will be a junior next season. But that's not in our hands of course.

Reactions: Bill Lowery
I doubt he gets a medical redshirt - the injury was far too long into the season.

I doubt he gets a medical redshirt - the injury was far too long into the season.
Not true, he certainly qualifies.

To be eligible for a medical hardship waiver, a student-athlete has to meet the following criteria:

• The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.
  • The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.
  • The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
  • The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.

How is that fourth bullet point calculated? 30% of our 13 games is 3.9 games. Injury happened in the 3rd quarter so a reasonable person would say he played at most 3.75 games. Not that the NCAA is reasonable...I don't know if/how those are rounded.

Or is the 30% a time period vs # of games?

I don't disagree that we are awful with these though.

We discussed this a while back, someone looked up the rules, and I believe they rounded down on the 30%. By standards quoted from the NCAA rulebook, it definitely looked like he would get a medical redshirt.

I was questioning how far into the game he got, and somebody(maybe jesterondirt), said something like it was games completed, not games played in, leaving it to 3 games, which is 30%. I was going into quarters not games, and wondering if a bowl game counted, and that was when the games completed rule was quoted from the NCAA rule book.

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
IMO any ruling made should be in favor of the "student athlete" being allowed to participate if there is a question on this. The benefit of the doubt should always go to the "student".

But that's my opine.

I may be completely out of line on this, but I wish the NCAA would allow total games played as the MR criteria. The way it would work is: If a player got hurt in the 4th game of a year (and was sidelined for the remaining season), he/she could pick up where that year left off, the following year. In other words, KL would have to sit out 4 games next year (on a MR) but resume play the fifth game and be allowed to finish next year as an "extension" of the previous one. He'd get a full seasons worth of games, but because of the injury, would do so over a two year period. To me that is fair to the player.

I believe @JesseTU did some homework on this before. Care to chime in?

Put me in coach!

The requirement is less than 30% of the scheduled contests. With 12 on the schedule, that's 3.6 games.That is always rounded up (to give benefit of the doubt to athlete) - so it gives us four games. Lucas has not competed in "more than" 4 games. So he gets his waiver.

"Any computation of the percent limitation that results in a fractional portion of a contest of date of competition shall be rounded to the next whole number."

Here are the American Athletic Conference guidelines on the subject:
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/tuls/genrel/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/HardshipWaivers.pdf

And the NCAA Source material if you care:
http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D110.pdf
(see 14.2.4 et al.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT