ADVERTISEMENT

I guess traditional unis can still recruit championship football players

noble cane

I.T.S. University President
Feb 25, 2002
Physical football crushes the uniform sideshow...

Straight ahead power running and physical defense triumph!

Way to go Ohio State!

Agree
And TU plays in Columbus in a few years

Probably in the same place as the dead duck emoji.

When more time is spent picking out the teams wardrobe than practicing ... Bad things happen.

What were those uniforms? Leftovers from a grade school Christmas program? They looked like they belonged on top of a tree rather than on a football field.

It isn't that OSU hasn't thought about moving away from traditional uniforms. The OSU players know that collectors pay less for their autograph on special jerseys.

This post was edited on 1/13 9:34 AM by HuffyCane

Kind of funny that anyone would imply that Oregon was anything other than one of the best programs in the country. They are 70-11 over the last six years and have changed uniforms that whole time. It is a stupid argument and obviously has nothing to do with the product on the field.

Originally posted by jerandlaur:
Kind of funny that anyone would imply that Oregon was anything other than one of the best programs in the country. They are 70-11 over the last six years and have changed uniforms that whole time. It is a stupid argument and obviously has nothing to do with the product on the field.
Agreed. If NIKE is going to test out their patterns and materials at your school because the most famous alum of your school happens to be the CEO/co-founder of Nike, then so be it. Obviously the uni's have some impact on recruiting. While I was disappointed in the lack of any green, it wasn't horrible and certainly did not look clownish in any way.

AND Ohio State has used some alternate uni's in year's past. Actually, last night's were a variation of their traditional uni's as the shoulders had BLACK numbers instead of white.

Yep - Uniforms don't tackle and that wasn't Oregon's problem last night.

I would agree with Noble if it was anybody other than Oregon - Crazy uniforms are part of the Oregon brand.

Tulsa should not try to emulate them. When you are 3-9 and 2-10, players don't have a say in what they are wearing.

All white was boring anyway. I thought Oregon was the #2 seed and should be wearing their home stuff..

Flashy uniforms are important for Oregon since their biggest donor is Phil Knight worth $22 Billion and founder of Nike.

Originally posted by mvccane:

Yep - Uniforms don't tackle and that wasn't Oregon's problem last night.

I would agree with Noble if it was anybody other than Oregon - Crazy uniforms are part of the Oregon brand.

Tulsa should not try to emulate them. When you are 3-9 and 2-10, players don't have a say in what they are wearing.

All white was boring anyway. I thought Oregon was the #2 seed and should be wearing their home stuff..
Oregon was probably given 1st choice based on seeding. Personally I would have selected the all Kelly Green look with Chrome helmets and matte duck wings with neon yellow socks/sleeves/gloves

TUME and I had a previous discussion on this matter earlier in the preseason. ME, you may have won this time but it was close and came down to the final game. BTW, TCU, Baylor were also pretty darn good and wore their flashy unis most of the year...just saying.

People need to get off their high horse and recognize its not about them but about what the kids like. This was a stupid post with someone who is stuck in the past trying to prove a silly point that had no correlation!

Originally posted by shon46:
People need to get off their high horse and recognize its not about them but about what the kids like. This was a stupid post with someone who is stuck in the past trying to prove a silly point that had no correlation!
First, I thought these were young men and not kids. Second, the very few who are lucky enough to do this later for a living won't tell Green Bay or Dallas that they want to pick their uniforms. The rest will go to offices or job sights and won't tell their employers how things should be done...at least not for a few years.

Secondly the team belongs to the players and the coaches and the schools and the fans are asked to maintain a tie with the school. Since you can't please everyone of those groups just pick something and stay with it.

Thirdly, I don't believe the players do pick the uniforms. 90-100 guys don't set down with catalogs narrow the list and decide by ballot. Someone on the staff sets down with the salesman. Shon, you played...tell me you picked the uniform.

Finally, we can all agree on one thing. This is a dumb thread. Winning is more fun than losing and can lead to a brighter future. I'm sure most of these players are much more interested in having Coach Monty and the defensive and offensive coordinators and how they are going to fit in with the new scheme of things. I'll bet if you were to ask them what was on their minds right now that not a one would say next year's uniform. However, if Nike wants to give TU $350 million then they should wear whatever Nike wants them to.

Originally posted by TU Hurricane Warning:

TUME and I had a previous discussion on this matter earlier in the preseason. ME, you may have won this time but it was close and came down to the final game. BTW, TCU, Baylor were also pretty darn good and wore their flashy unis most of the year...just saying.
Actually, I didn't win. I was for Oregon because I never have like Ohio State. My point was never that a team in old uniforms was better than a team in new ones, only that you could have a top notch program without flashy uniforms and that it was, at most, a very minor factor in recruiting.

I asked Chad President which helmet he preferred. Answer: Gold Chrome. Just saying. He's not here for the helmet he's here for Monty...

I wish TU would move back to their traditional football uniforms rather than the fugly all blue crap we've been wearing when Sinkingship was here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT