ADVERTISEMENT

Houston DBs

No, not that many dbs at Rice, but they do have them. Lots of ceiling fans and great sight lines.

DBS are usually pretty good when they are allowed to have that much contact.

Just got home from the championship game.

Pains me to admit it, but the game day experience at UH was outstanding. The stadium was impressive, concessions were plentiful and on point, pregame was entertaining and the crowd was solid. Love the students and the band in the end zone.

TU has a longer way to go there than I realized.

And we wore Tulsa gear. Cheered when they showed videos of soccer and track conference champions.

Only thing anyone said to us about it was asking about our average attendance when they announced today's number at the game.

I behaved myself. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: jesterondirt
And we wore Tulsa gear. Cheered when they showed videos of soccer and track conference champions.

Only think anyone said to us about it was asking about our average attendance when they announced today's number at the game.

I behaved myself. ;)
I went to their game against Texas State. I agree with all your observations. The fans I sat near were very courteous and respectful of TU

Reactions: TUBballJunkie

Only thing anyone said to us about it was asking about our average attendance when they announced today's number at the game.

I behaved myself. ;)

While the average attendance question could interpreted as a cheap shot, it is a fair question. We were dead last in AAC attendance. Gragg better address this, with solid plans for improvement in 2016.

While the average attendance question could interpreted as a cheap shot, it is a fair question. We were dead last in AAC attendance. Gragg better address this, with solid plans for improvement in 2016.

Gragg has not shown much interest in promoting games for either football or basketball. Decent hires but overall I haven't been impressed.

Today's attendance at the ORU/TU basketball was dreadful. Not much advertising across the board...However we did see bumper to bumper on 71st between Garnett and the mall when we were headed to the DonRey. Tulsa sucks as a sports town. people are just apathetic here about anything local.

Reactions: Tulsa76
It wasn't a cheap shot at all, I don't think this was a diehard fan. Probably someone more casual just wanting to know a frame of reference for the announced attendance.

But that being said, I don't think there were too many casual fans. These were clearly mostly people with ties to UH around us.

If we had a home game to get us to a New Year's Six bowl game, I would hope we'd have excellent attendance for that game as well.

Was our average attendance really worse than SMU and Tulane's?

If we had a home game to get us to a New Year's Six bowl game, I would hope we'd have excellent attendance for that game as well.

Was our average attendance really worse than SMU and Tulane's?

Officially yes, we were last, the only AAC team under 20,000. Actual attendance, who knows.

I wasn't blown away by attendance, rather the crowd involvement and engagement was what was solid. Announced attendance was $35k and that was accurate IMO.

I kid you not, the blue hairs in front of me danced along with their "claws" to hip hop.

It was a legit environment. It pisses me off that it was a lot closer to an Oklahoma State level than a Tulsa level.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
With virtually every game in FBS televised or streamed TU can't rely on the game alone to draw fans. It is easier for casual fans to stay home and watch. To build attendance TU must make the game day experience an event. Their must be a reason people want to come. You have to market the event to get people to believe the event is something they want to attend. When they do attend they have to leave with the mindset that it was great and they want to do it again. It can't be oh that was nice.

Pre-game, in-game and post- game are event opportunities.

Put a consistently WINNING team on the field and the court!

I used to think that would solve it back when I played for KB but that doesn't really matter to this community either. From 2005-2012 we averaged 9 wins per year. Even taking into account the next two years where we won a combined 5 games, we had a decade of averaging 7.6 wins. We played in a championship game 4 out of 10 years and won 2. Went to a bowl game 7 out of 10 years. That's a damn good product. Hasn't made a difference in attendance.

With virtually every game in FBS televised or streamed TU can't rely on the game alone to draw fans. It is easier for casual fans to stay home and watch. To build attendance TU must make the game day experience an event. Their must be a reason people want to come. You have to market the event to get people to believe the event is something they want to attend. When they do attend they have to leave with the mindset that it was great and they want to do it again. It can't be oh that was nice.

Pre-game, in-game and post- game are event opportunities.

Agreed, and they want to experience it cheaply. Which is a tough combination.

Tulane and SMU have been fidgeting its attendance numbers for years. I've been to several games at SMU and one at Tulane. Every time the attendance is always far above the actual number. That being said Tulsa does need improvement in that area. NCAA attendance numbers are bogus.

Go TU!!!!!

Wasn't Gragg brought in specifically because of marketing? Can anyone articulate anything that changed for the better?

I think scheduling multiple games at the same time as OU and OSU really hurts us. Sometimes we are even off on the same week.

Everything is about tv these days, though I wonder how long that will last. ESPN is laying people off and cutting cost. The revenue may not be there for them.

I used to say it was just about winning but after yesterday it is absolutely about the game experience for a casual fan. I despise Houston and was prepared to snub my nose about how lame and trashy it was. Wrong. We had such an entertaining time we were talking about going next year to see UH v OU and root for them both to lose. (I'm not sure that's at TDECU though)

The pregame was a huge production and had all kinds of crowd involvement with cheers and such. Concessions were everywhere with short lines and extremely efficient and friendly workers. We didn't drink but the option for even craft beers and frozen drinks and wine was fun. And that was a 90% sold out stadium so can't say they just weren't busy. You could run down and get something to eat and be back in your seats in no time. The band being placed somewhere in the stands where everyone could hear them was awesome. (I haven't heard our band during games in a while.) Get this, the cheerleaders had signs spelling out Houston and Cougars that they'd have at midfield and actually lead the crowd in the chant back and forth like we should do with Golden Hurricane. Oh, they also had an energetic and dynamic announcer. I could understand the words coming out of his mouth! Ours needed to retire a long time ago, sorry.

(FWIW, we found empty lots on campus and walked a pretty long way as did many fans. I don't think many other fan bases whine about that one.)

Some of these things require financial investment but the others are just coming up with a consistent in-game plan and making the commitment to teach your students and your fanbase. Doing it over and over. Treating marketing like the professional position it should be if we are going to play with the big kids.

At its heart, I think it is a numbers game.

We don't have enough alumni to fill Skelly Stadium in the entire nation, let alone the Tulsa area. Most state schools provide degrees usable in the local economy and most grads stay in state or in city. Tulsa not so much.

And there is a loyalty issue as well. When I was in school there were more OU and OSU hats on campus than TU hats. Very few kids in Oklahoma grow up wanting to go to Tulsa and even if they choose to go to school here, they still feel loyalties to the state schools. Heck, I personally know a basketball LETTERMAN that wears OU clothing, has OU license plates and OU stickers on his car.

I used to think parking was the issue, but when BA and Jenks put more people in the stands for a championship game... It's a numbers issue.

On the winning team thing, in 2015 you can take advantage of watching that in the comfort of your home for every single game. That's not unique to us.

So it has to also be about the live game experience and how you make that a can't miss activity in itself. We are talking about a 4-6 hour event for people when you factor in getting yourself there and back. Has to be fun and engaging for a casual fan.

Oddly enough I saw the same issues when the Thunder were here at the Rockets. The game experience was dreadful. Bored out of my mind when there wasn't game action. Won't be spending my money or time there again any time soon.

We had such an entertaining time we were talking about going next year to see UH v OU and root for them both to lose. (I'm not sure that's at TDECU though)

UH/OU is at NRG stadium for the annual Texas Kickoff. This season it was aTm/ASU. Don't know what the game day experience will be for that one. Tickets will also be a bit more expensive than your average TDECU game.

I used to think that would solve it back when I played for KB but that doesn't really matter to this community either. From 2005-2012 we averaged 9 wins per year. Even taking into account the next two years where we won a combined 5 games, we had a decade of averaging 7.6 wins. We played in a championship game 4 out of 10 years and won 2. Went to a bowl game 7 out of 10 years. That's a damn good product. Hasn't made a difference in attendance.
Right on. A couple of us went up to the Notre Dame game and were so jacked afterwards that I couldn't wait until the team got back home...I expected a HUGE, excited crowd and I was extremely disappointed with the turnout. The problem is we can't get the football players (and families) from Jenks, Union, Broken Arrow, and Owasso to come out and watch games without it being a visit for them versus just coming to watch games. I have come to the conclusion that Tulsa is a mall crowd. On any given Saturday beginning Nov. 1st, the traffic to get to Woodland Hills is bumper to bumper for 2 miles on 71st...umm, its 60 degrees and TU has a football game against a nationally ranked opponent. Do Tulsans even realize TU hosted 3 games vs. nationally ranked teams this season? Terrible. What happened to the marketing guru Dr. Gragg hired last year?

Right on. A couple of us went up to the Notre Dame game and were so jacked afterwards that I couldn't wait until the team got back home...I expected a HUGE, excited crowd and I was extremely disappointed with the turnout. The problem is we can't get the football players (and families) from Jenks, Union, Broken Arrow, and Owasso to come out and watch games without it being a visit for them versus just coming to watch games. I have come to the conclusion that Tulsa is a mall crowd. On any given Saturday beginning Nov. 1st, the traffic to get to Woodland Hills is bumper to bumper for 2 miles on 71st...umm, its 60 degrees and TU has a football game against a nationally ranked opponent. Do Tulsans even realize TU hosted 3 games vs. nationally ranked teams this season? Terrible. What happened to the marketing guru Dr. Gragg hired last year?

Perhaps if we moved the stadium to Jenks?

Possibly played a couple of home games at Lafortune? And Union?.

TU can market itself as :

A. The smallest school in FBS. or

B. The best sports entertainment option in a metro area of nearly 1 million people.

TU continues to promote itself & sees itself as option A. If TU truly marketed itself as Tulsa's team & created a legit gameday experience like Junkie experienced in Houston, we would not be last place in attendance.

TU could create more than enough additional revenue in ticket sales & concession sales to pay for good marketing & promotions.

Last edited:
Possibly asking people that already go to the games is the wrong approach. I see a lot of great ideas in here, but let's face it. This is really the wrong crowd to be asking. We're not the problem.

(On a side note, do we not have any celebrities willing to give us a shout out every now an then?)

Last edited:
Why isn't the advertising team budgeting travel to places like Houston, that have better success than TU, for attendance. Finding similar markets with better success, is not that difficult. Traveling to them in order to fully immerse oneself in the game day experience, is a worth while investment. Marketing schemes can be adapted to another market. That's their job. Instead of only adding a couple slogans, and already used, and unsuccessful marketing products, like stupid tshirt games, they need to invest more than the marketing teams salary, and stop proving Einstein's maxim.

Last edited:
Possibly asking people that already go to the games is the wrong approach. I see a lot of great ideas in here, but let's face it. This is really the wrong crowd to be asking. We're not the problem.

This is exactly why I shared my perspective from UH. I hate that team and my husband couldn't care less about AAC games and yet we'd both spend money and time to go back, fight Houston traffic and walk 15 minutes across campus because it was an excellent entertainment package.

Reactions: jesterondirt
(On a side note, do we not have any celebrities willing to give us a shout out every now an then?)

Well.. Paul Harvey is dead.. and that pretty much leaves Rue McClanahan, Dr. Phil, and Mary Kay Place...

We are so edgy after all...

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Well.. Paul Harvey is dead.. and that pretty much leaves Rue McClanahan, Dr. Phil, and Mary Kay Place...

We are so edgy after all...
You don't have to have attended the university to be a fan. This is the exact same mindset that keeps us under 20,000 fans a game.

Having a small student body that is extremely diverse and very academic oriented absolutely kills the student section. As someone mentioned earlier, we have an alumni base that couldn't fill up the stadium and they're spread out all over the place. If you're trying to pick a team to cheer for in this state because you're not affiliated with one it is a lot easier to be a homer for OU and OSU whenever they're both in the Big 12 and have been so nationally recognized (OU for a long time & OSU as of late). Houston has a huge alumni base and I am sure many of those stay around the Houston area after graduation....I don't know what the solution is and I am glad that I am not tasked with the job of figuring it out because TU is fighting a constant uphill battle. Our attendance problem goes far beyond winning football games. I am on the bandwagon of increasing the student body over the next few years to make it feel more like a college atmosphere but I understand the reasoning for the university not wanting to get 8ish thousand enrollment in the future.

You don't have to have attended the university to be a fan. This is the exact same mindset that keeps us under 20,000 fans a game.

Apologies.. I thought you meant celebrities connected with TU...

Maybe we could get Rodney Carrington to work it into his act... Or Ronnie Dunn... .

Or send Miley Cyrus a TU shirt she could wear while twerking?

Maybe we could get Rodney Carrington to work it into his act... Or Ronnie Dunn... .

Hahaha would love to see Rodney at halftime.

No apology necessary. I see how what I said could have been taken that way. I just really would love to see the university embrace the fan as much as they do the alumni.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT