ADVERTISEMENT

Houston DBs

No apology necessary. I see how what I said could have been taken that way. I just really would love to see the university embrace the fan as much as they do the alumni.

Agreed.

Perhaps instead of singing the alma mater we could all join in a chorus of "hotline bling" ...after all it being snubbed by the Grammies was a crime.

I don't think that much will change much until all of the current crop of blue hairs are fully gone and we lose the local perception of being nothing but trust fund babies.

And as far as celebrities plugging us... Well you will probably need to pay them to drop us plugs.. Not much TMZ attention is gained being seen on the sidelines of an ESPN 3 game with a half empty stadium..

Reactions: jesterondirt
Maybe we could get the Swarzenegger to show up to a game in his workout shorts.

Probably Two answers. Winning and Beer.

Tulsa has a solid 20,000 fan base. To improve this to say the 30,000 level would require a marketing effort to non Tulsa Alumni, friends or family members.

SMU boosts its numbers by using rich alumni to buy highly discounted tickets which they then give away. It seems to me that if you developed a plan similarly and introduced this to families that live in the TPS, Union, Jenks, Owasso, Bixbi, etc. school districts then you might create a few paying customers down the line.

Another way this could work without the help of the rich alum and could work for the average Joe fan of Tulsa, would be if the Univ. offered tickets at a high discount that one could buy in addition to your season tickets that you would never actually hold or own. The University would hold/own the tickets and then give them away to group as a promotion to market to potential new fans.

Next years team will be very good and exciting a great time to expose the market to the product.

Would the Universtity participate in a plan of this nature?

GO TU!!!!!!

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
I don't disagree with those ideas Geo...but how do you make the event fun enough to actually draw in those fans after a free game??

It has to be more than just relying on the football team.

And allow a Tribal Sports Book to be open on game day inside the stadium. The first in Oklahoma.

We could turn the lower level concourse into a gaming pit!!!

The Club level could host hi-roller games .

The east side could have off track betting and penny slots.

Genius!!!

Possibly asking people that already go to the games is the wrong approach. I see a lot of great ideas in here, but let's face it. This is really the wrong crowd to be asking. We're not the problem.

(On a side note, do we not have any celebrities willing to give us a shout out every now an then?)
Dr. Phil, Hank Haney, Lovie Smith...get Lovie in here to do a TV spot encouraging people to come out. Dennis Byrd, Steve Largent.

Reactions: jesterondirt
I don't disagree with those ideas Geo...but how do you make the event fun enough to actually draw in those fans after a free game??

It has to be more than just relying on the football team.

I agree.

I guess that would be left to the marketing Mensas.

GO TU!!!!!

Reactions: TUBballJunkie
When I win the lottery I shall come back to Tulsa and volunteer full-time as a Game Day Extravaganza Coordinator.

A good idea they still use at Edmonton Oiler games is the 50/50 draw. People have to stay the entire game as well, because they don't announce the winner until 5mins left in the 3rd period. So even when it's a blowout (and there have been too numerous of those to count in Edmonton the past 10 years), people keep the stadium looking full until the end of the contest. Essentially it's a lottery with the winner taking half of the pot. The remaining 50% is kept by the the university or donated to a charity (as done in Edmonton).

TU could use this idea conceptually to attract 1) sponsorships / charities with organizations looking for half the pot on gamedays, 2) casual fans who don't mind the prospect of sitting through a TU game for their chance to win 20 -45,000 dollars for a 2/3$ buy-in even if they got the ticket for free or don't really care about the opponent. Best way to entice people is with greed, so why not right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT