ADVERTISEMENT

Marrion and Kinne

bluegold70

I.T.S. Position Coach
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2003
according to College Football Network, Marrion and Kinne are on the short list for houston head coach.

we really screwed this one up!!!!!!! f'n houston......geeeeezzzzzzz!!!!!!!

:nukem:nuke us!!!!!!!

Reactions: astonmartin708
Didn’t really screw that up if they would be leaving us after a year! That is a blessing that we didn’t get them.
I would hope the head coach position at Tulsa (where you played) is a little different than coaching at Texas State. Now maybe he still would leave us for Houston. We will never know. We failed to hire the best guy though imo especially given the Tulsa connection.

Likely would leave for Houston and the money they can put up (assuming Houston really wants them)

Last edited:
I would hope the head coach position at Tulsa (where you played) is a little different than coaching at Texas State. Now maybe he still would leave us for Houston. We will never know. We failed to hire the best guy though imo especially given the Tulsa connection.
I didn’t say we shouldn’t have hired Kinne. I was onboard to hire him for the position. If he would have had success here and he was offered the Houston job, he still probably would have left. The we would be right back where we were. Hindsight in play, if they leave for Houston then we made the right decision which is exactly what I said

Some here would lead you to believe that our players are so bad that nobody could have been successful this year.

And keith burns jr turned UNLV from 5-7 to 9-3 in his first season. Hopefully KW makes us not regret decisions from that time.

the comments from the Houston folks are 🔥
📸 Look at this post on Facebook

Double Tulsa connection. His wife was our head cheerleader and she went to Union for good measure.

Love Kinne but his hiring would not have been smart. He is unseasoned and too unknown on how he will do. Doesn't mean he wont be great, or that he isnt great now...we just don't know for sure. Too much of a gamble. I wouldn't have mind him being hired but I know why TU didn't. He was very high risk with medium to high reward, at a time when they are trying to stabilize the university. We needed a coach who would go through the effort of completely building the team up again. Our record sucks this year but Wilson is bringing in better recruits. He is putting in a better syster. He is building better teamwork. He is turning the athletes into better people. He might not get us to the promise land but I don't think that is what the university was looking for with this hire...Maybe the next they will.

Love Kinne but his hiring would not have been smart. He is unseasoned and too unknown on how he will do. Doesn't mean he wont be great, or that he isnt great now...we just don't know for sure. Too much of a gamble. I wouldn't have mind him being hired but I know why TU didn't. He was very high risk with medium to high reward, at a time when they are trying to stabilize the university. We needed a coach who would go through the effort of completely building the team up again. Our record sucks this year but Wilson is bringing in better recruits. He is putting in a better syster. He is building better teamwork. He is turning the athletes into better people. He might not get us to the promise land but I don't think that is what the university was looking for with this hire...Maybe the next they will.
Uh...so the University wasn't looking for the coach to make us good? What a weird post.

We have found our QB for the next 4 or so years...that much is clear...now watch him build around him.

Lots of success is coming.

Reactions: el duran
Uh...so the University wasn't looking for the coach to make us good? What a weird post.

We have found our QB for the next 4 or so years...that much is clear...now watch him build around him.

Lots of success is coming.
That is not what I said at all. I said they were looking for a coach who would do a complete rebuild, get the team back on the right path and start building it back up. No where did I say they werent looking for a coach to make us good. Kinne is a coach you put in when you already have pieces in place. He is a young coach and does not have the experience to completely rebuild a program which we needed. You need someone with experience for that. I SAID he might not get us to the promise land and that isnt what they were necessarily looking for with this hire. He was meant to rebuild us from the ground up. Get the pieces in place and hopefully get us back to bowl games and good years.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
That is not what I said at all. I said they were looking for a coach who would do a complete rebuild, get the team back on the right path and start building it back up. No where did I say they werent looking for a coach to make us good. Kinne is a coach you put in when you already have pieces in place. He is a young coach and does not have the experience to completely rebuild a program which we needed. You need someone with experience for that. I SAID he might not get us to the promise land and that isnt what they were necessarily looking for with this hire. He was meant to rebuild us from the ground up. Get the pieces in place and hopefully get us back to bowl games and good years.
Texas State was awful before Kinne got there, and definately didn't have many pieces in place.

He's done a great job for them.

• Haha
Reactions: TU 1978 and TU_BLA
Kinne inherited a 4-8 Texas State squad and led them to a 7-5 record and bowl game this season. KW inherited a 5-7 TU squad and led them to a 4-8 season this year. Too early to judge KW tenure at TU but to say Kinne can’t build a team from scratch has no factual basis. He did a hell of a job turning that program around in his first year. There’s something to be said for being young, relatable to the kids, and hungry. Not say an old school 62 year old coach can’t be those things it’s just more difficult.

Kinne inherited a 4-8 Texas State squad and led them to a 7-5 record and bowl game this season. KW inherited a 5-7 TU squad and led them to a 4-8 season this year. Too early to judge KW tenure at TU but to say Kinne can’t build a team from scratch has no factual basis. He did a hell of a job turning that program around in his first year. There’s something to be said for being young, relatable to the kids, and hungry. Not say an old school 62 year old coach can’t be those things it’s just more difficult.
I think you're spot on, but, I think finding Francis will make our turnaround that much quicker starting next season. The offense finally looked somewhat normal with him running the show...he just has that IT factor.

Love Kinne but his hiring would not have been smart. He is unseasoned and too unknown on how he will do. Doesn't mean he wont be great, or that he isnt great now...we just don't know for sure. Too much of a gamble. I wouldn't have mind him being hired but I know why TU didn't. He was very high risk with medium to high reward.
Some of the best hires in the history of this athletic department were "unseasoned" and "unknown" and "too much of a gamble".

That is not what I said either. I didnt say Kinne can't rebuild. I said when you are looking for a coach to rebuild you typically look for coaches who have experience and done it before. They have years under their belt. You guys are acting like I said Kinne wouldnt have been a good hire. I did not say that either. I did say it wouldn't have been a smart hire and I stand behind it. It's too much of a gamble of a hire for what they wanted done. All I said is why TU did what they did and why they didnt go for Kinne. When you are looking for someone to rebuild from scratch...you typically dont start looking at people who have absolutely zero experience doing that. Doesn't mean they can't do it, or that we missed out on a hire.

Reactions: loca2874
That is not what I said either. I didnt say Kinne can't rebuild. I said when you are looking for a coach to rebuild you typically look for coaches who have experience and done it before. They have years under their belt. You guys are acting like I said Kinne wouldnt have been a good hire. I did not say that either. I did say it wouldn't have been a smart hire and I stand behind it. It's too much of a gamble of a hire for what they wanted done. All I said is why TU did what they did and why they didnt go for Kinne. When you are looking for someone to rebuild from scratch...you typically dont start looking at people who have absolutely zero experience doing that. Doesn't mean they can't do it, or that we missed out on a hire.
"For what they wanted done"

They hired wanting to win.

Reactions: TU1NNJ
Lateral move for Fritz. Houston is going to be the doormat of the Big XII for many years (battling with Cincinnati and BYU for that distinction)...whoever gets hired this go round will be looking for a new job in 3 years...mark my words
Didn’t realize Fritz makes $2.8M a year. Good for Tulane.

I think you're spot on, but, I think finding Francis will make our turnaround that much quicker starting next season. The offense finally looked somewhat normal with him running the show...he just has that IT factor.
I watched a lot of college football this past weekend. Things I noticed....Kirk Francis makes the hardest throw in the book look easy. The throw to the far side from the opposite hash...it's a long throw and many times they get jumped and picked or the QB simply doesn't even get the ball there. Francis makes it look easy. QBs I saw not able to make that throw consistently this weekend: BYU, Arkansas, Iowa State, Florida, UCLA.

On the coaching stuff...I think Kinne would have done fine here and I think he would have brought Dex in to work with DBs and Safeties, I think he would have tried to bring Milkman in for WRs and OC. He would have been fine.

As for Milkman, I keep hearing his name with upper level OC jobs. Don't be surprised if he gets a shot at OU now that Lebby is gone. And if Willie Fritz leaves for Houston (Don't think he will), I would assume Kinne would be on the short list there.

I watched a lot of college football this past weekend. Things I noticed....Kirk Francis makes the hardest throw in the book look easy. The throw to the far side from the opposite hash...it's a long throw and many times they get jumped and picked or the QB simply doesn't even get the ball there. Francis makes it look easy. QBs I saw not able to make that throw consistently this weekend: BYU, Arkansas, Iowa State, Florida, UCLA.

On the coaching stuff...I think Kinne would have done fine here and I think he would have brought Dex in to work with DBs and Safeties, I think he would have tried to bring Milkman in for WRs and OC. He would have been fine.

As for Milkman, I keep hearing his name with upper level OC jobs. Don't be surprised if he gets a shot at OU now that Lebby is gone. And if Willie Fritz leaves for Houston (Don't think he will), I would assume Kinne would be on the short list there.
I think the board is underselling just how damn good Francis is....he's the guy going forward and I don't think it's a question.

Reactions: TulsaAM and dlsnid
I think the board is underselling just how damn good Francis is....he's the guy going forward and I don't think it's a question.
Hope you’re correct. Braxton looked really good at the end of last year and we were saying the same thing about him. Francis has been damn impressive for a freshman.

LOL, you're trying to have a nuanced conversation with someone whose idea of nuance is a sledgehammer to the jaw. I get what you're saying. KW did a thing at IU and the powers who be must have thought we needed that same thing. That thing involved going 1-11 his first year and I assume some serious structural work on the house followed by the best 8 year run at IU since the 90s. Not everybody is cut out to do that kind of work. I have no idea if Kinne is that kind of guy but what KW is doing is not necessarily the same as taking a 4-8 team and making them 7-5 by bring in new talent and schemes.

LOL, you're trying to have a nuanced conversation with someone whose idea of nuance is a sledgehammer to the jaw. I get what you're saying. KW did a thing at IU and the powers who be must have thought we needed that same thing. That thing involved going 1-11 his first year and I assume some serious structural work on the house followed by the best 8 year run at IU since the 90s. Not everybody is cut out to do that kind of work. I have no idea if Kinne is that kind of guy but what KW is doing is not necessarily the same as taking a 4-8 team and making them 7-5 by bring in new talent and schemes.
Thank you!

You guys do realize that KW has never had a winning season as a HC….correct ? I simply don’t see the justification for the statement he is more likely to take TU to where we want to go than Kinne. At the end of the day, we hired a seasoned 62 year old coach with a poor head coaching record. I will support him and wish him nothing but success at TU. Im also cheering for Kinne due to his ties to the university and the city of Tulsa. We can support both.

You guys do realize that KW has never had a winning season as a HC….correct ? I simply don’t see the justification for the statement he is more likely to take TU to where we want to go than Kinne. At the end of the day, we hired a seasoned 62 year old coach with a poor head coaching record. I will support him and wish him nothing but success at TU. Im also cheering for Kinne due to his ties to the university and the city of Tulsa. We can support both.
Indiana being his only stop as HC deserves to be pointed out as well. He has done about as well as anyone ever has there I believe. In my opinion the real scrutiny will be starting this next season at TU.

Reactions: lawpoke87
Pegging the future of the program and your highest paid employee’s tenure on a walk on is a Massive gamble.

Im cheering for Kinne as well. I only pointed out why TU did what they did. I didnt even say I agreed with TU (I do) but that doesn't matter. I just know the rationale behind their hiring. I would have been ok with Kinne as well.

I still contend that KW was the correct choice at the time. Though the success we all hoped to see on the field hasn't materialized to this point I'm hopeful that next season is a much stronger reflection of the future.

What I'm confident saying is, we had numerous issues regarding player players not going to class, failing to make grades, not making required academic progress, and on field issues that he has addressed in a positive way. Him being a well seasoned guy gave him the credibility and know how to right the ship in those areas, and I'm not sure a first time head coach or young guy could have had immediate success in dealing with those things. Fact is that those issues that relate to culture aren't solid you can't have winning football at a school that isn't loaded with 4 and 5 star guys and in looking at USC's experiment with Riley there's no guarantee that talent can overcome poor character and work ethic.

I still contend that KW was the correct choice at the time. Though the success we all hoped to see on the field hasn't materialized to this point I'm hopeful that next season is a much stronger reflection of the future.

What I'm confident saying is, we had numerous issues regarding player players not going to class, failing to make grades, not making required academic progress, and on field issues that he has addressed in a positive way. Him being a well seasoned guy gave him the credibility and know how to right the ship in those areas, and I'm not sure a first time head coach or young guy could have had immediate success in dealing with those things. Fact is that those issues that relate to culture aren't solid you can't have winning football at a school that isn't loaded with 4 and 5 star guys and in looking at USC's experiment with Riley there's no guarantee that talent can overcome poor character and work ethic.
You don’t have to be an geazerly hard ass just to motivate people to go to class.

Last edited:
I wasn't on the committee, I don't know why they hired KW. But I assume it was because he was a successful OC at 2 different top 5 programs over 10 or something seasons who had a certain skill set that matched our job and was available at a price we could afford based on his history at IU. We couldn't afford the DC at Arkansas, I'm sure the OC at Ohio State is usually a lot more expensive if it weren't for KW's history. Maybe they thought he would be able to do a house cleaning that the other options couldn't (keeping in mind that he was the #2 choice). I don't know. I'm just reacting to the responses to TUcandoit's post, which were either intentionally or unintentionally dense. As TUcandoit said, different turnaround jobs need different skills. I'm sorry if people are not able to understand that but it's true. Failure to understand or accept facts does not make them cease to be facts.

BTW, the last coach with a winning record at IU was Bo McMillin who coached there from 1934 - 1947. Losing at IU doesn't tell you much about a coach's ability.

Reactions: TulsaAM and TU_BLA
I wasn't on the committee, I don't know why they hired KW. But I assume it was because he was a successful OC at 2 different top 5 programs over 10 or something seasons who had a certain skill set that matched our job and was available at a price we could afford based on his history at IU. We couldn't afford the DC at Arkansas, I'm sure the OC at Ohio State is usually a lot more expensive if it weren't for KW's history. Maybe they thought he would be able to do a house cleaning that the other options couldn't (keeping in mind that he was the #2 choice). I don't know. I'm just reacting to the responses to TUcandoit's post, which were either intentionally or unintentionally dense. As TUcandoit said, different turnaround jobs need different skills. I'm sorry if people are not able to understand that but it's true. Failure to understand or accept facts does not make them cease to be facts.

BTW, the last coach with a winning record at IU was Bo McMillin who coached there from 1934 - 1947. Losing at IU doesn't tell you much about a coach's ability.
Taking the IU job considering the history there should tell you something about the candidate’s decision making prowess. I don’t expect someone at IU to compete with Michigan year in and year out, but being a big 10 school that’s worse than Bowling Green should tell you something.

You don’t have to be an geazerly hard ass just to motivate people to go to class.
True, but adding those tasks to the overwhelming responsibilities most head coaches have on their plate it just seems prudent to have a geazerly hard ass in place to manage that rather than a near peer.

There’s something different about having someone with substantial life experience telling you to get your sh!t together or there will be consequences that you don’t like versus someone you can relate to on a peer level giving you the same message.

The type and degree of motivation that is required differs greatly based on the person you're dealing with. Some people need the harda$$ approach and tough love, and some people as coaches and leaders can't give that. Anyone who's had more than 1 boss understands this, though I know admitting basic realities are not conducive to "winning" the debate.

Reactions: rusty-c
True, but adding those tasks to the overwhelming responsibilities most head coaches have on their plate it just seems prudent to have a geazerly hard ass in place to manage that rather than a near peer.

There’s something different about having someone with substantial life experience telling you to get your sh!t together or there will be consequences that you don’t like versus someone you can relate to on a peer level giving you the same message.
That’s why you have a support staff.

True. But Tom Allen, who succeeded KW at IU, had two winning seasons and a better overall record there than KW before he was canned last week.

As far as going to class the stance “if you don’t attend class you won’t play” seems to do wonders from a motivational standpoint as long as it’s enforced. The idea that a “players coach” can’t effectively enforce rules is nonsense imo.

Reactions: astonmartin708
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT