ADVERTISEMENT

Hoover

Gold*

Serious Cat Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2003
Let me see if I understand this: OU goes 8-5, with some bad losses, but also major injuries, suspensions, and just dumb luck. Hoover wants him fired.

TU goes 2-10, with the culprit according to Hoover being increased academic standards (which are actually identical to other schools in our league). Hoover wants us to keep him another year.

Seems legit.

Originally posted by Gold*:
Let me see if I understand this: OU goes 8-5, with some bad losses, but also major injuries, suspensions, and just dumb luck. Hoover wants him fired.

TU goes 2-10, with the culprit according to Hoover being increased academic standards (which are actually identical to other schools in our league). Hoover wants us to keep him another year.

Seems legit.
The Media guys were in love with Blankenship but Stoops has not been Media friendly. It influences their content.

So was Wojcik media friendly? Is that why the World wanted us to keep him?

I didn't read it but saw his tweet about the title and subject. OU has been a classic under-achieved the last 4-5 yrs in terms of what they were expected to do. Watching this year I feel more and more confident that the Sugar Bowl last year was a colossal fluke. Trevor Knight is a great athlete but he is not a top level QB. Stoops loyalty to asst. coaches is staggering and I would say Mike Stoops, Heupel, and Norvell all need to go as they have underachieved and failed against quality competition for too long under them. Stoops' own recruiting might be called into question as he seemingly relies on star ratings only to chase kids. Someone mentioned in a different thread about finding and projecting a players potential and being able to develop it. Watching OU play either these kids are so full of themselves they have no idea teams are trying to destroy them OR the coaches have no idea how to teach them to break down and analyze game situations on the fly. Teams should progress as the season moves along. TU and OU were prime examples of that not occurring. OU didn't get better as the season moved along. TU certainly didn't. This is a failure in the coaching staff. It is not about pure talent all them time. The differences in talent account for why OU can destroy TU every year but when the talent levels out it comes down to a coaches ability to adjust and teach. Stoops has gotten comfortable at OU. He won't be fired this year but if things don't get markedly better next year (NY6 game) he is probably gone.

I get the beef with Hoover and having a different standard seemingly applied in evaluating the jobs of Stoops and BB, but I think it also comes down to realistic expectations of each program.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Hoover's recommendation to keep BB another season was idiotic, pure and simple, but I do like the way Hoover goes after Stoops and doesn't mind being hated. I'll give him credit for that.

Amazingly, the poll is running about 50/50 and the other choice was keep Stoops but get rid of much of the staff.

Time for a cage fight between Hoover and Mike Stoops.
fighting0030.r191677.gif

Anyone with basic knowledge of football, management, and group dynamics who attended the 2005 National Championship game vacated by USC could see the entire OU organization, including the athletic department director, needed to go. They should have hired Briles years ago and let Stoops go back to the Big 10 where he has dreamed of coaching all along.

Hoover wanted BB to stay because he couldn't care less about TU football.

A person gets upset based on strong feelings about a situation...

Hoover has a real good point. Stoops is not producing. The recruiting budget of OU is over $750,ooo per year, they have the studs. He simply lost the team towards the end of the year. The chemistry is lacking in the with the coaches and players,

TCU, is going to be top 10 team, Baylor okay, Texas will be much better, It is going to be tuff without a QB, it should be interesting come mid October.

I cant believe firing stoops is even in the discussion. Big 12 is a tough conference and for him to continually win like he does is amazing. Until he has consecutive .500 seasons it should not even be discussed. He probably does need a new oc though.

Originally posted by SEANHAWG:
I cant believe firing stoops is even in the discussion. Big 12 is a tough conference and for him to continually win like he does is amazing. Until he has consecutive .500 seasons it should not even be discussed. He probably does need a new oc though.
OU has underperformed massively since Stoops wom th MNC with John blake's players.

four out of the five worst bowl losses have occurred in his tenure... West Virginia, Clemson, Boise state, USC....

OU fans are content and conditioned with bobs mediocrity.

Gary Gibbs could have produced these results.

The Big 12 Conference as a whole is down this year...

2 Top 10 teams --- Baylor & TCU

Correction K-State is #11

2 teams around a #30 / 40 ranking --- OU

4 average teams --- Texas, T-Tech OSU & W. Virginia

2 teams that stink --- ISU & Kansas

A normal season for this conference would have 5 teams fighting for a Top 25 ranking...

This post was edited on 12/30 11:59 PM by TU Sepp

Originally posted by TU Sepp:
The Big 12 Conference as a whole is down this year...

2 Top 10 teams --- Baylor & TCU

2 teams around a #30 / 40 ranking --- OU & K-State

4 average teams --- Texas, T-Tech OSU & W. Virginia

2 teams that stink --- ISU & Kansas

A normal season for this conference would have 5 teams fighting for a Top 25 ranking...
Actually, K-State is rated #11 pending there game with #14 UCLA. Even a loss shouldn't drop them to #30.

Why do people keep referring to Boise State as a terrible loss for OU? It is demeaning to Boise and folks on this board should especially know better.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by noble cane:

OU has underperformed massively since Stoops wom th MNC with John blake's players.

four out of the five worst bowl losses have occurred in his tenure... West Virginia, Clemson, Boise state, USC....

OU fans are content and conditioned with bobs mediocrity.

Gary Gibbs could have produced these results.
Gibbs could have well produced the same results of those bowl games you referenced, but no way in hell would Gibbs have pulled off 10+ wins over 12 out of 16 seasons.

Since winning that national championship, his teams reached 3 more championships, and they won 10+ games 11 of the next 14 seasons. How is that "underpeforming massively"?

Stoops problems are within his coaching staffs, when he had top notch assistants he contended for national championships. He needs to clean up the house, cut bait on the assistants who are not performing. As a TU fan I hope he doesn't make the necessary changes, because I think TU will put up a fight next season under Hurricane Monty.

TX

This post was edited on 12/30 11:24 PM by texcane1982

My fault TUMe, I didn't realize the KSU was still rated that high...

For some reason, I thought that they had dropped in the poles.

Originally posted by TU Sepp:
My fault TUMe, I didn't realize the KSU was still rated that high...

For some reason, I thought that they had dropped in the poles.
I do agree with your point Sepp, the Big XII does need for some of the past power teams to get better.

Skrew traditional powers
Do u think Baylor/K St/TCU fans want 2 go back 2 the 'ol ways?
Where/Who was Boise St B4 the OU Fiesta Bowl game?

Little 'ol Tulsa has won 2 Liberty Bowls in the last 10 yrs.
Recruits today want more than just a traditional winning program.

I like the fact that recruits "shop around"
They are looking 4:
A good coaching family atmosphere, electrified fan base
Facilities, academics, variety of styles & colors on uniforms
Exciting & inventive offenses, attacking defenses
Just the tonic that Coach Monty brings 2 TU

If u want traditional powers 2 rule,
then let's go back & re-start another great tradition
TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
This post was edited on 1/1 5:46 AM by HHOOTter

I dont care what anyone says. Big 12 is toughest conference in football. Tougher than sec. Too many teams that can screw over a season for you. Sec is overrated. Just look at tcu dominating ole miss. Tcu got so robbed in the playoffs.

TCU wins all their games and they control their own destiny. Not that I don't agree with you but...

The only way a one loss big 12 makes it in is if OU or Texas.

This post was edited on 1/1 6:20 PM by TU Hurricane Warning

I dont care what anyone says. Big 12 is toughest conference in football. Tougher than sec. Too many teams that can screw over a season for you. Sec is overrated. Just look at tcu dominating ole miss. Tcu got so robbed in the playoffs.
When everyone in the conference is mediocre then it is true... Any team can screw the season over for you...

when TCU is your standard bearer... Your conference is mediocre.

Besides Oregon, TCU is the best team I've seen play consistently this year. But really, there's hardly any difference between teams 1 - 10 this year on any given day. And yes the big 12 has 2 of those teams.

Originally posted by noble cane:

When everyone in the conference is mediocre then it is true... Any team can screw the season over for you...

when TCU is your standard bearer... Your conference is mediocre.

I wouldn't say the Big 12 is mediocre, but rather a case of the TCU and Baylor raising the bar.

Just because TCU is not a traditional power, does not mean they cannot build their program capable of competing at the highest level. Back in the early 2000' s when OU and Texas where dominating the Big 12, K-State was sticking their foot in the door. TCU was going toe-to-toe with power schools when they were in the MWC. The Frogs recent surge did not happen over night, nor does it make the Big 12 medicore, but rather adds to the quality of the the league. OU and Texas will rise back to their past success, and K-State, TCU, and Baylor will continue to raise their performace and the bar for the conference.

TX

Originally posted by texcane1982

I wouldn't say the Big 12 is mediocre, but rather a case of the TCU and Baylor raising the bar.

TX
TCU and Baylor didn't raise the bar so much as oklahoma and tx dropped it.

When the traditional powers are down conference luster, quality and ratings take big hits.

Oregon on may be the face of the pac 12 but until USC rises up.. The pac12 is perceived as weak.

the big 10 is nothing unless the Ohio state university is winning...

and the the luster comes off the SEC if the Tide is down. Last nights performance by 'Bama showed glaring problems in the SEC. Bama's loss also diminished TCU'S win over ole miss. Bama looked anemic against a mediocre OSU. ...

oregon on will win the mythical national championship running away on the strength of its QB.... And the weakness of the field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT