ADVERTISEMENT

Head Coaching Candidates For Tu Basketball

Wait, you mean like the same type of risk Dickson took in hiring Tubby Smith to come here back in 1991? English has already proven his ability to recruit every where he's been an assistant. After he left Colorado, they've fallen off. Goes to Tennessee with Barnes and they're borderline top 10 and they're recruiting is being elevated. Barnes is a good coach but English is the one who is engaging the recruits and getting them to come to Rocky Top. He's also a sponge when it comes to x's and o's. I've got to believe he's bounced around as an assistant to absorb and understand as many different styles as possible. We can't be the holier than thou thinking we can automatically bring in a current head coach because we're in the AAC now. I want our job to still be considered a proving ground. I want English to want to leave after 4-5 years chasing a P5 job. It means he was successful here. We've been very successful when we've hired coaches who want to prove themselves. I'm OK with it.
Did you see what Victor Bailey (almost recruited to Tulsa by English) did for Barnes and Tennessee the other day?

Wait, you mean like the same type of risk Dickson took in hiring Tubby Smith to come here back in 1991?

Tubby had been coaching for 18 years when he was hired. English has been a coach for 6.

Additionally, here's the list of TU recruits during his last turn here:
Jaleel Wheeler, Joseph Battle, Will Magnay, Geno Artison, Travis Atson, Martins Igbanu, Corey Henderson, Lawson Korita, Darien Jackson, Elijah Joiner, DaQuan Jeffries.

A couple hits, a boatload of misses, and no NCAAT appearances from that group.

He may be a successful head coach one day, but he's done very little to prove he's the next Tubby Smith.

Tubby had been coaching for 18 years when he was hired. English has been a coach for 6.

Jaleel Wheeler, Joseph Battle, Will Magnay, Geno Artison, Travis Atson, Martins Igbanu, Corey Henderson, Lawson Korita, Darien Jackson, Elijah Joiner, DaQuan Jeffries.

He may be a successful head coach one day, but he's done very little to prove he's the next Tubby Smith.

Good points on English. I saw where one of Patrick's signees enrolled at UCR after he left. ...Wil Tattersall from Australia. He is a freshman playing 22 minutes a game and has shot 31-66 (47% ) from the three. We can add 2 of our players together and not get to 47%..... Patrick did have a low scoring offense but was 8th in the nation behind Virginia in defense and 33 rd in rebound margin. But again he had few of his own players by year two. It would be interesting to hear his thoughts on Magnay.

Reactions: ctt8410
Depends on whether we go 0-4, or 1-3 in the last 4 games. 0-4 is a distinct possibility of new basketball coach. 1-3 a smaller chance. 2-2 or better, doubt it. They will have to have a really bad close to the season, to justify it. Otherwise they will give him a break for him being a team player on salary, and all the politically correct things he has done about Greenwood, racial equality. They need justification to not feel like a heel. Finishing the season 3-10 or maybe 4-9 might be that justification.

Montgomery is safe for now.

Given Haith’s history, I suspect he’ll move on after this season. I will be surprised if he’s our basketball coach next season.

Reactions: TU 1978
Given Haith’s history, I suspect he’ll move on after this season. I will be surprised if he’s our basketball coach next season.
If he moves on voluntarily, he would either have to drop down another level to somebody on the level of College of Charleston as HC.(Using as example because we know that's the level of coaching job Wojcik had to drop down to after failing here.) He would have to take that hit to his salary, or accept an assistant job, maybe that he would swing for more money.(at a bigger time school)

No way he gets our salary even after we reduced it as an assistant. Not a chance he earns 1.3 or 1.4m as an assistant. We're talking 300k to max 800k he would have to accept somewhere else as HC or asst. (Unless maybe he's ready to retire early.) I hope you are right and he accepts that salary cut and leaves of his own accord, but he'd have to be ready for a huge, huge salary cut. That's going from 2m to 800k if he's lucky. My guess is it would more like 4 or 500k. That's quartering his salary. He's never quartered his salary voluntarily before, hell he's never halved his salary voluntarily.

If he moves on voluntarily, he would either have to drop down another level to somebody on the level of College of Charleston as HC.(Using as example because we know that's the level of coaching job Wojcik had to drop down to after failing here.) He would have to take that hit to his salary, or accept an assistant job, maybe that he would swing for more money.(at a bigger time school)

No way he gets our salary even after we reduced it as an assistant. Not a chance he earns 1.3 or 1.4m as an assistant. We're talking 300k to max 800k he would have to accept somewhere else as HC or asst. (Unless maybe he's ready to retire early.) I hope you are right and he accepts that salary cut and leaves of his own accord, but he'd have to be ready for a huge, huge salary cut. That's going from 2m to 800k if he's lucky. My guess is it would more like 4 or 500k. That's quartering his salary. He's never quartered his salary voluntarily before, hell he's never halved his salary voluntarily.
I could see Haith moving on to an HBCU honestly. One thing we can never fault Haith for is the way he has represented TU, his role in developing young men of character (have any of his players at TU had any real behavioral or accountability issues?). That's what I hate about this situation. Frank is generally a good guy and has embraced TU and Tulsa unlike his predecessors who felt both were beneath their statuses.

I also think he will jump voluntarily absent a
flashy end to this season.
I don’t expect that. Just hoping for above
500 in conference. An upset W at SMU would be cherry on top.

Rumors that Steve Prohm could get fired are gaining steam. If so, I’d take him in a heartbeat.
The only decent season they've had with Prohm's players was 2018.(The first two season's can be discounted from the main assessment of his tenure, cuz he had Hoiberg's players to coach for the most part. They were also around 23 win seasons, identical to '18) He's had two seasons where the records were around .400 ball.(one slightly above, and the other slightly below) is now .118 on the season, in the closing stretch, and not won a single game in conference.

He managed to find a way to the tournament last season despite a .375 final record, but that's still a pretty shabby record for the past four years with mostly his own players. I don't know where his confidence on the recruiting trail and as a coach would be. It might be worth an interview with a skeptics attitude during the interview.(for the interviewers)

What makes you think the Iowa St situation won't lead to a similar one for us?

Last edited:
There is usually a reason coaches get fired. Better chance with coaches moving the other direction. (Winning). I can remember us hiring two coaches moving laterally or down, JD Barnett and Frank Haith.

What makes you think the Iowa St situation won't lead to a similar one for us?

Because I'm stubborn.

But also because I think Iowa State is a uniquely difficult job. Greg McDermott is one of the best coaches in the country and has had extensive success at both UNI and Creighton. But he never had a winning record at Iowa State.

In some ways, Prohm was a victim of his own success. He landed big-time recruits in Wigginton and Horton-Tucker, but lost both after just a year+. They nailed the evaluation of under-recruited Tyrese Haliburton, only to have him immediately turn into a lotto pick and leave early. The response was to embrace the transfer portal to plug the holes, and that's admittedly been an unmitigated disaster.

There's a chance it wouldn't work at Tulsa, but I love his guard-oriented offense. I love that his teams actually play with pace instead of just coachspeaking about playing with pace. And I think it's too early to assume he's cooked as a coach at 46. Maybe just hasn't found his level yet.

Also, he's got 4 NCAAT wins in 10 years as a coach. Which is 4x as many as Haith in half the time.

Because I'm stubborn.

But also because I think Iowa State is a uniquely difficult job. Greg McDermott is one of the best coaches in the country and has had extensive success at both UNI and Creighton. But he never had a winning record at Iowa State.

In some ways, Prohm was a victim of his own success. He landed big-time recruits in Wigginton and Horton-Tucker, but lost both after just a year+. They nailed the evaluation of under-recruited Tyrese Haliburton, only to have him immediately turn into a lotto pick and leave early. The response was to embrace the transfer portal to plug the holes, and that's admittedly been an unmitigated disaster.

There's a chance it wouldn't work at Tulsa, but I love his guard-oriented offense. I love that his teams actually play with pace instead of just coachspeaking about playing with pace. And I think it's too early to assume he's cooked as a coach at 46. Maybe just hasn't found his level yet.

Also, he's got 4 NCAAT wins in 10 years as a coach. Which is 4x as many as Haith in half the time.
Knew you would have a better answer than just I'm stubborn. Figured you would be up on their recruiting and have some explanatory reasons for that. I was actually fishing for a guided explanation of why his records weren't all that one should look at. Also the Big 12 has everybody else ranked except K St. & TCU. That leaves it hard to come up with wins.

Last edited:
Reactions: ctt8410
Prohm’s a good coach. The worry would be a coach coming off of 2 lackluster (and this year is a disaster) seasons, being able to regain steam/traction/credibility on the recruiting trail again. It’ll be the same thing Gus faces at UCF. Coaches who get fired just seem to lose that credibility. You still have to have the horses.

I would take drakes or umbc coach
Devries at Drake would be making 500K tops and probably less. Doubt if any of the others are over 400K. My point is we can afford them. Gotta get Devries fast. Drake and Loyola are both MVC teams and should both get in this year.

Devries at Drake would be making 500K tops and probably less. Doubt if any of the others are over 400K. My point is we can afford them. Gotta get Devries fast. Drake and Loyola are both MVC teams and should both get in this year.
I am really curious how the pandemic has changed what we can afford

Reactions: HuffyCane

So you're saying that he recruited the core of the best team that we have had in this conference (last year)???

if Magnay would have stayed, then the Magnay, Igbanu, Korita, jackson, Joiner, Jeffries is a list of our best players of any Haith has recruited.

Helping build the best team of the guy you're about to fire is damning with some
pretty faint praise.
In one respect yes, but on the other hand, that group probably kept Haith here a
couple of years longer, because to me, recruiting has fallen off since then....

One of the most frustrating things about this year's team was the fact we didn't
have enough scoring if we put in our defenders, and not nearly enough defense
and defensive rebounding if we put in some folks that could potentially score...
That, and the fact we had almost universally poor defense/rebounding out of
our post position, adds up to poor recruiting, and simply won't 'feed the bulldog'
in the AAC...

Last edited:
Reactions: t-townpod
There are two players there that teams all over the country hope enter the portal.

Reactions: t-townpod
When has oru been to the ncaa tournament I think haith has more 1 than oru under their current coach I guess self never took them to the tournament.
Mills from the Drew coaching tree is a heck of a recruiter. Abamas, Obanor, jurgens, and Weaver are pretty good. Maybe not quite as athletic as you need for AAC play.

Kinda glad we didn't play them . Could have been embarrassing for our school. We gain nothing by playing them in the NET.
Abmas could play anywhere. That kid can flat out score. Obanor plays with a chip on his shoulder.

I don’t know anything about Mills. But I looked at their roster. They have quite a few players from TX, but half the team is from all over the world. It’s crazy.

Oh, and another thing. Mills talks about his emphasis on rebounding. The Titans have led their league in rebounding the past few years. Hmmmmmm

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Does self want to escape from ku.
Mills and oru is are up 9 points at the half as a 4 seed over 1 seed sdst in semifinals of summit tourney if they hold and beat the winner of ndsu and South Dakota they are dancing and we are not .

Last edited:
Mills zone is worse than ours! But ORU would outshoot us all day.

This is a good list. I'd like to focus on Miller and Casey Alexander. Belmont has been fantastic and is constantly vying for the Ohio Valley title. They've had some great battles with Murray State the last few years. They are currently 22-1 this season. I like Drake's coach too...they've been playing great bball. I watched the Drake vs Loyola game the other day. Back and forth, and all-around good basketball played. If we're on to assistants, Kim English is choice #1, followed by Alvin Brooks III and then Maligi at Tech.

I do think Mills (ORU) would get a look and if he could bring Abmas with him, we'd be in business. Abmas sscored 72 points in their double header against South Dakota St. this weekend. 40 in the 1st game, followed up by 32 yesterday. That's RIDICULOUS. The kid has unlimited range seemingly. ORU split the weekend series and is 1/2 game out of 1st in the Summit. ORU lacks overall size and athleticism and the depth to be really dangerous, but they can score the basketball at a high clip. I'm sort of glad we're not playing them this year.
It’s amazing that ORU can sign a shooter and TU can’t get a sniff of an outside shooter and
for that matter an inside scorer either.

Abmas scored 36 against Okla State including 7-12 from three point range. Kid can flat out fill it up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT