ADVERTISEMENT

Head Coaching Candidates For Tu Basketball

I don’t know anything about Mills. But I looked at their roster. They have quite a few players from TX, but half the team is from all over the world. It’s crazy.

Oh, and another thing. Mills talks about his emphasis on rebounding. The Titans have led their league in rebounding the past few years. Hmmmmmm
They got hammered on the offensive boards last night by South Dakota State. Big country farm boys get on the glass. ORU can flat out shoot the ball...all 5 positions, every minute of the game. Obanor, Abmas, Thomas (that cat can play), Lacsis, Jurgens. I think SDSU is a bad match-up for ORU because of the size differences but ORU found a way to win (despite the lopsided officiating). Good to see. Someone will snatch up Mills this year.

Abmas is the nation's leading scorer, they're close to the top in 3 pt %, and I believe ORU leads the nation in FT%.

That was the worst zone defense by ORU I have ever seen. Even worse than Haith's. But ORU had 5 outside shooters that were all better than anyone on the TU team and they went 14-14 from the line. It is not that hard to recruit shooters. Our staff just thinks that they need to be tremendous athletes and body builders in the weight room. I'll take shooters any day and get a Wainwright type to teach them defense.

That was the worst zone defense by ORU I have ever seen. Even worse than Haith's. But ORU had 5 outside shooters that were all better than anyone on the TU team and they went 14-14 from the line. It is not that hard to recruit shooters. Our staff just thinks that they need to be tremendous athletes and body builders in the weight room. I'll take shooters any day and get a Wainwright type to teach them defense.
If you were watching the ORU game the announcers said ORU almost never played zone and was an almost exclusively man to man team. The reason they switched was because of the foul trouble they were in and the lack of size coming off the bench. Anyone who watched the game knows the refs gave the SDSU players the NBA star treatment...there were more than a few questionable calls.

Speaking of ORU... Scott Sutton is sitting on OSU’s bench, and if I recall correctly he has interviewed for the TU job in the past. Should we be interested? Just a thought.

Speaking of ORU... Scott Sutton is sitting on OSU’s bench, and if I recall correctly he has interviewed for the TU job in the past. Should we be interested? Just a thought.
No he is far from being the next bill self from oru

wouldn't we have heard if Haith is getting booted by now?

wouldn't we have heard if Haith is getting booted by now?
You will see a statement from Dickson a few days after our last game. You can't leave recruits hanging if he stays, and if you need a new coach you need to be out front of other schools. A lot depends on the way the season ends and how upset the biggest donors are. I just hope it doesn't end in a brawl on the court like our football brethren.

Reactions: TULSARISING
You will see a statement from Dickson a few days after our last game. You can't leave recruits hanging if he stays, and if you need a new coach you need to be out front of other schools. A lot depends on the way the season ends and how upset the biggest donors are. I just hope it doesn't end in a brawl on the court like our football brethren.
If we remember from the Wojcik firing it will happen shortly after the conference tournament ends so the AD has time to conference with potential candidates. Wojcik lost on the 8th of March for the last time and was fired on the 11th.

Typically this coaching search was done during the Final Four so the AD could brush elbows with potential coaches. That's where we started to hear news about potential candidates (Manning). With the format of the NCAA tournament this year, that will be unlikely. But the fact that kids all have one free transfer and an extra year of eligibility might make this the best possible time to install a coach who's tasked with retooling a program. He has the opportunity to go out and grab transfers to patch holes in the ship while he begins High School / Juco recruiting in earnest.

BTW, Wojcik finished his final season 17-14 and had 6 winning seasons prior to that season and two NIT's in the two previous years. He lost in triple overtime to Marshall in the first round of the CUSA tournament with a future NBA 6th man of the year in Jordan Clarkson and two high level recruits slated to join the program. Wojcik still had multiple years left on his deal.

The only difference between the 2011 Wojcik situation and the 2021 Haith situation is oil prices and enrollment.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuffyCane
If we remember from the Wojcik firing it will happen shortly after the conference tournament ends so the AD has time to conference with potential candidates. Wojcik lost on the 8th of May for the last time and was fired on the 11th.

Typically this coaching search was done during the Final Four so the AD could brush elbows with potential coaches. That's where we started to hear news about potential candidates (Manning). With the format of the NCAA tournament this year, that will be unlikely. But the fact that kids all have one free transfer and an extra year of eligibility might make this the best possible time to install a coach who's tasked with retooling a program. He has the opportunity to go out and grab transfers to patch holes in the ship while he begins High School / Juco recruiting in earnest.

BTW, Wojcik finished his final season 17-14 and had 6 winning seasons prior to that season and two NIT's in the two previous years. He lost in triple overtime to Marshall in the first round of the CUSA tournament with a future NBA 6th man of the year in Jordan Clarkson and two high level recruits slated to join the program. Wojcik still had multiple years left on his deal.

The only difference between the 2011 Wojcik situation and the 2021 Haith situation is oil prices and enrollment.

every single D1 team in Oklahoma will be in the NCAA tournament but US!!!!!!

In Wojcik’s case we had donors lined up out the door to buy out his contract. Haith gets more love due to a much better personality and relationship with the press although his performance has really maintained the “mired in mediocrity “ standard started by Wojcik. Haith does the same thing over and over again ( “this is my best recruiting class ever”) but gets the same results. But I don’t know if those donors are ready or not this time. The fact that ORU seems to have surpassed TU is so embarrassing that some may finally step forward and end this long misery.

In Wojcik’s case we had donors lined up out the door to buy out his contract. Haith gets more love due to a much better personality and relationship with the press although his performance has really maintained the “mired in mediocrity “ standard started by Wojcik. Haith does the same thing over and over again ( “this is my best recruiting class ever”) but gets the same results. But I don’t know if those donors are ready or not this time. The fact that ORU seems to have surpassed TU is so embarrassing that some may finally step forward and end this long misery.
You’re absolutely right about donors. I don’t even know the state of our donor base these days. I just assume not good lol.

I can’t believe everyone in and around the school hasn’t gotten sick of the “this is my best team since I’ve been here” Schtick which inevitably results in an NIT campaign at best. Maybe he’s not lying that the talent is improving... but to me, that would just mean his coaching prowess is degrading because the results aren’t getting much better. Also, I think it’s pretty desparaging to Shaq / Woodard et al... that he keeps saying that all of his fringe NIT teams are better than their multi time NCAA squads.

Shaq, Woodard, Smith, Wright, Ray, Swannegan, Edogi, and Birt would have dominated this year’s squad and probably last year’s as well.

Last edited:

Wojcik couldn't beat a good team to save his life. Haith has beaten quality teams every year of his tenure including a top 5 team just this year. We've beaten Kansas State, Oklahoma State, SMU, Wichita, Houston, Memphis, Cincy, etc. I've been critical of Haith for a long time now (he blocked me on Twitter several years ago) but I honestly think he deserves another year.

Wojcik couldn't beat a good team to save his life. Haith has beaten quality teams every year of his tenure including a top 5 team just this year. We've beaten Kansas State, Oklahoma State, SMU, Wichita, Houston, Memphis, Cincy, etc. I've been critical of Haith for a long time now (he blocked me on Twitter several years ago) but I honestly think he deserves another year.
If you ignore all of his bad losses he’s a great coach.

Reactions: TU Man and BABlake
Did anyone listen to post game when kelly Hines asked Frank are you going to be devastated if you are not asked back as coach next year he said I would be shocked they would not have me back as I am the defending coach of the year and defending champs of aac in a covid year and win big games this year with few covid cases just need an inside game and shooters. Rollo said this is the first year that haith didn’t do better than predicted and was 7th this year and picked 6th and that Tulsa will be a great team next year if Brandon joiner and Richie come back ???? What world are Frank Rollo and Bruce living in???????

Did anyone listen to post game when kelly Hines asked Frank are you going to be devastated if you are not asked back as coach next year he said I would be shocked they would not have me back as I am the defending coach of the year and defending champs of aac in a covid year and win big games this year with few covid cases just need an inside game and shooters. Rollo said this is the first year that haith didn’t do better than predicted and was 7th this year and picked 6th and that Tulsa will be a great team next year if Brandon joiner and Richie come back ???? What world are Frank Rollo and Bruce living in???????
Except... he’s not the defending coach of the year... and they’re not (CO) conference champions this season... and he has never successfully recruited shooters to TU.

Whoever is coaching this team next year is going to be in a near bottom up rebuild, much like Manning was. Even if Haith is retained, why should he be given the reigns again in another rebuild? He’s had 2 already and they didn’t go well.

Did he he say he needs shooters and an inside game? that is pretty obvious. I love his excuses. Rollo and Bruce always are trying to be politically correct and they are clueless. I give Kelly credit for bringing it up.

Rollo said that 24/7 has Tulsa the 3rd ranked Aac recruiting class so far for 2021. J just checked that ranking as of today 3 11 2021 and that is correct wow.

Last edited:
Whatever the university is going to have Dickson do, it should be done by Saurday. Remember Rick was the AD that hired Tubby. In the last 60 years I have seen 5 TU coaches that played fun basketball that was enjoyable to watch... Joe Swank, Kenny Hays, Nolan Richardson, Tubby Smith, and Bill Self. It would be nice to see a 6th...

Rollo said that 24/7 has Tulsa the 3rd ranked recruiting class so far for 2021. J just checked that ranking as of today 3 11 2021 and that is correct wow.
That will change drastically as this transfer window is going to be insane, with players getting an extra year and a free no-sit-out transfer. Also, one of those kids is still a verbal commit and hasn’t signed.

Extension with buyout friendly incentive based contract. I see it coming now

Brett Ballard at Washburn should be a candidate. Dude can coach. Washburn won their conference championship by beating the #1 team in the nation. He was on the bench with Manning when Manning was here.

He was National Coach of the year at Missouri (with Mike's players) and everyone there wanted him gone since his coaching and recruiting had disappeared. Gragg was glad to find him as he had missed on his first three choices. You can't keep doing the same thing year after year and expect different results......................... Dickson is a smart guy. Probably has a Go Fund me site tonight for the buyout. But my inside bet is still on Frank. He is slicker than Houdini in these situations.

I do think it’s interesting that the coaching changes Twitter account, which absolutely hates Haith and is always interested in TU, has said nothing.

There appears to be no scuttlebutt expect for fans and donors who are all tired of this. I don’t know anyone who wants him back.

Haith has had more losing seasons now than Wojcik or JD Barnett and is tied with John Phillips. Bruce won't bring this up I bet.

Reactions: TU 1978 and Gold*
Whatever the university is going to have Dickson do, it should be done by Saurday. Remember Rick was the AD that hired Tubby. In the last 60 years I have seen 5 TU coaches that played fun basketball that was enjoyable to watch... Joe Swank, Kenny Hays, Nolan Richardson, Tubby Smith, and Bill Self. It would be nice to see a 6th...
Ken trickey?

Reactions: goldfan83
Wojick really gets too much :crap:. He turned us around and recruited some fantastic talent to TU. @nepats28 loved him.

I just want to win. I was skeptical of Haith. He didn't do much at Missouri, and he obviously didn't do too much here. we paid him a fortune and got mediocrity. But but but he usually outperformed preseason predictions so there is that guys....

I wish last years team could have played a full season. I think they were awesome and really fun to watch. That said, if that had full season, a tourney birth and a tourney win, we have him at least another year and maybe with another contract.

Oh well, buy tickets, gear, beer and go to games.

How/why do we get stuck with mediocre coaches. I don't expect a national championship, but we should vie for the conference title. Be competitive on the field. Make post season appearances. Be fun to watch.

I've been watching TU sports since 1950 and this is the pits.

Because we have had an AD that was quite possibly the worst in the country.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT