ADVERTISEMENT

Head Coach responsibilities

TUcandoit

I.T.S. Senior
Gold Member
Sep 17, 2011
Forgive my ignorance. I have always been a baseball guy. The head coaches are very involved and lead all practices with help from assistant coaches. However, in football, I notice the head coach seems to more walk around from one area to the next while the assistants actually do the coaching. Is the head coach in football more a guy who hires good position coaches, helps recruits, and runs logistics? I just don't hardly actually see them getting in there and teaching the players how to play. The just watch and yell at the other coaches a lot.

It varies from coach to coach. The "walk around and yell" stereo type is just what TV wants you to watch. Nobody wants to watch 20 seconds of Coach Montgomery quietly critiquing Boomer's grip on the ball, etc., but he coaches QBs. For the rest of the position coaches, it is no different than your job. Your boss' boss isn't going to come into your area and tell you how to improve your job. Same principle with football.

Reactions: TUcandoit
I've always envisioned a football head coach as a CEO, you have a plan for the team, hire good people, and guide them in the direction you want. I think that was Blankenship's downfall, he was too hands on in places where he needed to get a good guy in and give him general direction. It's like the year Graham tried to be O C in addition to HC.

Sounds like they play the role of General Manager in baseball more than Head Coach in baseball. They set the path and find the pieces that will get them there. Less in the trenches but more at the drawing board.

More of a mixture of the two. On game day Montgomery calls the plays and makes the decisions on when to go for it, punt, and dozens of other decisions just like when a manager decides to call a bunt, intentional walk, bring in relief, etc.

Reactions: TUcandoit
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT