ADVERTISEMENT

Head Coach Candidates if tu disappointed season this year 2021

except that it hasn't worked at the college level ever. and has failed here with maybe the best high school coach the state has had.

Reactions: TU 1978
except that it hasn't worked at the college level ever. and has failed here with maybe the best high school coach the state has had.
Blankenship won a Liberty bowl and C-USA championship while he was here. He didn't work out long-term, that's certainly true, but I hold no grudges against Bill and he didn't ask for millions of dollars while he was here.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Loren Montgomery in Bixby. David Alexander at Jenks (even though he's not the head coach). Bobby Klinck at Sand Springs
Didn't Bixby coach get into trouble a few times now? I know a couple teachers have been fired and I could have sworn he was part of one of those.

Blankenship won a Liberty bowl and C-USA championship while he was here. He didn't work out long-term, that's certainly true, but I hold no grudges against Bill and he didn't ask for millions of dollars while he was here.
Bill made $600,000 annually , won with Graham’s holdovers, than had two dismal years while his recruits matured then got canned. . Monty won his first two years because of Bill’s recruits then nosedived after they graduated.

Reactions: TU Man and TU 1978
Let's not pretend that Bill was some lovable doofus while he was here like John Phillips. Bill's problem was extreme arrogance and stubborn refusal to adjust. It was clear starting in year 2 and definitely in year 3 that he needed to adjust. But when everyone called for him to adjust after year 3, he gave everyone the bird and doubled down by hiring his son. He makes less than Montgomery but their approach to growth is not different.

Ah Chito, you too, Leon-how lovely to have you both back! The hate spewing forth above on Coach Blank is beyond the pale. No one will ever convince me that Blank is not a good man that can coach. Whether it's a HS team-and by your inference he has prolly ruined the lives of 1500 or so HS kids with his arrogance, failure to adjust( his schemes, I guess) & stubborn refusal to do this or that by coaching them, or TU, where his success in 2012 is noted above. And I've seen examples of his good character that others may not know about. Several HS state championships (in OK & ARK) do not dim his resume.

But hey, speaking your collective minds, is for the moment, still OK in this country. So, spew forth, C&L. I anxiously await your next 8 months of silence on here.

• Haha
Ah Chito, you too, Leon-how lovely to have you both back! The hate spewing forth above on Coach Blank is beyond the pale. No one will ever convince me that Blank is not a good man that can coach. Whether it's a HS team-and by your inference he has prolly ruined the lives of 1500 or so HS kids with his arrogance, failure to adjust( his schemes, I guess) & stubborn refusal to do this or that by coaching them, or TU, where his success in 2012 is noted above. And I've seen examples of his good character that others may not know about. Several HS state championships (in OK & ARK) do not dim his resume.

But hey, speaking your collective minds, is for the moment, still OK in this country. So, spew forth, C&L. I anxiously await your next 8 months of silence on here.
I like Bill as a person, but he needed to bring in a legit OC while he was here , he had talent on the offensive side of the ball, definitely didn’t on defense though

Those last 2 teams of his were awful to watch and often not competitive. Even Montgomery's run of losing seasons was more competitive.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
Back on topic - give the Houston D Coordinator a call for an interview when we have an opening.

Reactions: TULSARISING

Wow..... That ... completely validates everything I ever thought on this subject. He's a great high school coach and a bad (or worse) college coach. There's nothing wrong with that. Love the man for who he is, not some mythical hero worship god that you create in your head.

I like Bill as a person, but he needed to bring in a legit OC while he was here , he had talent on the offensive side of the ball, definitely didn’t on defense though
Yeah, this is the interesting question. Could Bill have been a good college coach if he adjusted? Love Graham or hate him, the guy was a survivor, he abandoned the dumb play calling idea after one year and let his survival instinct rule over his ego. Part of what sucks is that Bill probably could have been a lot more successful. Same with Phil. These guys are impaling themselves on the swords of their ego. Maybe when you make that much money you have different priorities.

Yeah, this is the interesting question. Could Bill have been a good college coach if he adjusted? Love Graham or hate him, the guy was a survivor, he abandoned the dumb play calling idea after one year and let his survival instinct rule over his ego. Part of what sucks is that Bill probably could have been a lot more successful. Same with Phil. These guys are impaling themselves on the swords of their ego. Maybe when you make that much money you have different priorities.
If Monty had a designated OC and Special Teams coordinator I think we'd be in a totally different boat. Fix that and we'd be rolling.

Didn't Bixby coach get into trouble a few times now? I know a couple teachers have been fired and I could have sworn he was part of one of those.
No. Some football players, including the son of the superintendent got in trouble for hazing. Loren Montgomery has been there and basically built Bixby into the power that it is right now. I believe he was on Trimble's staff at Jenks during their insane run.

I'm not advocating for a HS Coach to take over at TU, I merely answered the question posed. My 1st choice would Milkman. I just think he's ready.

Reactions: TU Sepp
Bill made $600,000 annually , won with Graham’s holdovers, than had two dismal years while his recruits matured then got canned. . Monty won his first two years because of Bill’s recruits then nosedived after they graduated.
Does it mean they are no judge of football talent(upside)?

Let's not pretend that Bill was some lovable doofus while he was here like John Phillips. Bill's problem was extreme arrogance and stubborn refusal to adjust. It was clear starting in year 2 and definitely in year 3 that he needed to adjust. But when everyone called for him to adjust after year 3, he gave everyone the bird and doubled down by hiring his son. He makes less than Montgomery but their approach to growth is not different.
Nepotism and did he reach his level of incompetence(Peter Principal)? I am sure Louisville wondered if Kragthorpe could coach.

Reactions: chito_and_leon
sonny dykes will be new head coach at tech

retreads candidates isn't a bad list:

Wells
Orgeron
Graham
Odom
Morris
fuente (if fired)

assistants?
Monken (too pricey)
venables (too pricey)
lashlee
scheelhaase (iowa st)
briles jr

smaller college head coaches
Hawkins
has to be a few more out there that are used to struggling financially at a school???

salaries (has Philip listed at $1.8 million whoa):

Reactions: StoopsBros
I want to say the $1.8 million was before he took a pay cut voluntarily.

It doesn't matter. We could offer $3M per year and still keep hedging on the facilities (IPF) and coaches will be hesitant to take the job. They may want to jump to a bigger job in 3-4 years but if they don't feel they are being given the resources to be successful here, why would anyone jump at the change, even a retread?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT