ADVERTISEMENT

Got to take the next step

Originally posted by lawpoke87:
I'll give it a try...because the NCAA has relinquished almost all oversight to the P5 schools themselves. Anyone think the ruling would have been different if Thomas was transferring from a P5 school instead of Houston. I do. Look at Baker Mayfield.
And Mayfield wasn't even on scholarship and the reason he transferred was because Tech wouldn't give him a scholarship even though he started most of the games as a true FR walk-on. While I was happy OU was stuck with a crappy QB situation this year because Mayfield was declared ineligible (mostly because Tech would not relent on a full release in conference), I felt for the kid.

Thomas was another situation. It wasn't like Dickey was fired. He quit for supposed "health" reasons yet he immediately found himself back on Travis Ford's bench this year. Houston did grant Thomas a full release, but even at that, he should still have to sit out since it is basketball and not a non-revenue sport.

Can you recall a situation where a kid just left a P5 school and was immediately eligible at another P5 school in a revenue sport. Run-off rule excluded.

None specifically come to mind, but I am sure there are probably some that fall under the Family reason like Jameel Owens (although not P5 to P5) or a graduate transferring to another school for grad school.

Tayshawn Thomas in basketball.... Though OU claims he is a grad transfer. The "major" he got from UH and what he's studying at OU is 100% online. I think the NCAA should stipulate that a certain percentage of a student athlete's classes have to be in a classroom. These joke majors are ridiculous and need to be ridden from college academics.

I thought the deal was Thomaswas able to transfer because OU had a major Houston does not: basketball.

Originally posted by astonmartin708:
Tayshawn Thomas in basketball.... Though OU claims he is a grad transfer. The "major" he got from UH and what he's studying at OU is 100% online. I think the NCAA should stipulate that a certain percentage of a student athlete's classes have to be in a classroom. These joke majors are ridiculous and need to be ridden from college academics.
Aston, we were discussing Thomas specifically and didn't know how he was immediately eligible. He didn't graduate from Houston but somehow was able to argue that he was on track to get a degree at the end of this season and didn't want to spend a season sitting out and graduate (and probably postpone a pro career) just to play another season in college. So his argument was to be able to complete his playing eligibility concurrently with his degree. I think Poke is right in saying that probably wouldn't fly is a player is transferring from one P5 to another P5.

I agree with you on the online courses...they are typically much easier than a classroom course. I have taken a couple in grad school (but grad school is a different beast altogether at least when athletics isn't involved). Most schools, 12 hrs is considered FT hours (if they work on the 3 credit hrs per course model). In the end, I would say at least 9 hrs have to be actual classroom hours. Then again we know none of the Kentucky players, and evidently the majority of SMU players have ever stepped foot in a classroom or taken an exam on their own.

Originally posted by TU_BLA:

Originally posted by astonmartin708:
Aston, we were discussing Thomas specifically and didn't know how he was immediately eligible. He didn't graduate from Houston but somehow was able to argue that he was on track to get a degree at the end of this season and didn't want to spend a season sitting out and graduate (and probably postpone a pro career) just to play another season in college. So his argument was to be able to complete his playing eligibility concurrently with his degree. I think Poke is right in saying that probably wouldn't fly is a player is transferring from one P5 to another P5.

I agree with you on the online courses...they are typically much easier than a classroom course. I have taken a couple in grad school (but grad school is a different beast altogether at least when athletics isn't involved). Most schools, 12 hrs is considered FT hours (if they work on the 3 credit hrs per course model). In the end, I would say at least 9 hrs have to be actual classroom hours. Then again we know none of the Kentucky players, and evidently the majority of SMU players have ever stepped foot in a classroom or taken an exam on their own.
His actual argument, at least what OU and the NCAA claim, is that he didn't want to play for a coach that he's been found to have "cheated". Its pretty obvious the real reason he didn't want to stay is Houston was rebuilding this year and he wanted to play for a team that is good, however that is the stated reason and "why" the NCAA granted him a waiver to play this year. I don't agree with it, but just wanted to provide his actual reasoning.

His actual argument, at least what OU and the NCAA claim, is that he didn't want to play for a coach that he's been found to have "cheated". Its pretty obvious the real reason he didn't want to stay is Houston was rebuilding this year and he wanted to play for a team that is good, however that is the stated reason and "why" the NCAA granted him a waiver to play this year. I don't agree with it, but just wanted to provide his actual reasoning.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11883876/tashawn-thomas-eligible-play-oklahoma-sooners-immediately

I am not saying that wasn't part of his argument but Kruger refers to finishing the degree and eligibility concurrently in this article, which would seem to then at least be part of OU's case for him being eligible immediately. We all know the NCAA loves a good graduation argument, right?

I'm really amazed how some of OU's players are even eligible for college ball. Isaiah Cousins is as dumb as a rock... at lest from what I saw in interviews. (It wasn't that he was shy either... Just dumb) I don't know the grades you need to get into school, but I would be astounded if his ACT was higher than mid teens

This post was edited on 2/11 2:20 PM by astonmartin708

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT