ADVERTISEMENT

Got to take the next step

TUPond

I.T.S. Sophomore
Dec 5, 2003
We have yet to show that we can beat Top 25 teams (WSU, OU, OSU etc.). That is the next hurdle for this program to get over. I am not surprised we lost although I thought it would be closer. Shaq definately wasn't Shaq tonight. I'm sure he wasn't 100% with that ankle. Their bigs really bothered us, no driving lanes and they contested everything. Good news is we still can win this thing as long as we don't allow this loss to turn into other losses. Time to regroup and get ready for this brutal stretch coming up.

Coach Haith could use this game video to teach our bigs. About just how important great positioning, is for offensive rebounds and buckets after. Brown maybe a lot of things, but one thing he does know how to do is teach the basics. His teams always have very good basic techniques.

This post was edited on 2/7 9:23 PM by TulsaEye

Agree. Pretty down walking out if there tonight. Trailed the entire game and lost by double digits. We have played four games against tourney teams and have been blown out each time. Good times have guards who can stay in front of us and length in the back. Time to make some adjustments. Maybe play a little more inside out. Big stretch coming up which will determine where we play come March.

We just didn't execute on either end the last 7 minutes. Game was tied at 43 and then we went stone cold. Dre and Smith got caught cheating on Moore and he killed us with the slip screen passes. You can let him have 20 pts but you can't let him get double digit assists too.

We can play with them, we just need to execute better down the stretch. It's not like the old C-USA days knowing you didn't have a chance in hell against Memphis.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Still think we need to grab another big or two to be able to play with these guys.

t-townpod is correct...

We need 2 big legitimate centers that way we can move Wright to his more natural 4 position...

I want an athletic 6'6" wing who shoots 40% from beyond the arc.

So do about 350 other teams.

I think LJ could be pretty decent if we ever get him out there.

Agree. The more games that go by with no LJ makes the decision to burn his shirt even more curious.

TU's guards don't shoot 40 % on 3-pointers. This team plays hard, but they have to get some players who are consistant from the outside. TU is playing up to their talent...they just need more talent in the future. To break a zone you have to hit those short bunny shots in front of the free throw line.

Originally posted by TU Sepp:
t-townpod is correct...

We need 2 big legitimate centers that way we can move Wright to his more natural 4 position...
I've been saying this for HOW LONG?!?!?

Originally posted by canefansincerhome:
TU's guards don't shoot 40 % on 3-pointers. This team plays hard, but they have to get some players who are consistant from the outside. TU is playing up to their talent...they just need more talent in the future. To break a zone you have to hit those short bunny shots in front of the free throw line.
Post is probably the hardest position to recruit for. Plus a shooting guard that can hit for 40% from beyond the arc.

A good shooting guard averages around 45% on 3 pointers. In order to win big games you cannot have one of your star players have 12 points in the first half then disappear the rest of the game.

A good shooting guard averages around 45% on 3 pointers. In order to win big games you cannot have one of your star players have 12 points in the first half then disappear the rest of the game.

Originally posted by lawpoke87:
Agree. The more games that go by with no LJ makes the decision to burn his shirt even more curious.
Makes me think more and more that LJ will be an offseason casualty. Why else burn his redshirt. If transfer is coming a good coach would not have him waste a freshman redshirt.

Totally agree with you on this one T-Town LJ is GONE at the end of this season. I also think Stevie and BIG E will not be back as well.

Playing in the American changes the type of player we recruit going forward. The talent level goes up IMHO.

Time will tell.

GO TU!!!

Originally posted by GOB10:
Totally agree with you on this one T-Town LJ is GONE at the end of this season. I also think Stevie and BIG E will not be back as well.
Littlejohn is our best Freshman. Not sure why you think he is gone. Unless you know some inside academics? Unfortunately the other two mentioned have had their opportunities it appears.

I agree that he is our best Freshman. Unfortunately there is only ONE good reason for burning the kids redshirt in the middle of the season and then not even letting him play .He is GONE! I mean honestly think about it...it make no sense at all to not at least play this kid for a few min in every game to see what he can give you if you are going to keep him around but this kid has not played more than 5 min the entire year.

Originally posted by TU Sepp:
t-townpod is correct...

This isn't Haith's offense though. There's a reason the lineup is announced with 4 guards with Smith being one of them.

We simply need to shoot better. Dre and Smith need to be able to hit 45% of any shots they take, and some of those have to be 12-15 ft from the basket to get guys like Moreira and Cunningham away from the lane. Ideally a 6'8" kid with a good handle and ability to take someone off the dribble as well as being a good outside shooter, to go along with a post player who is comfortable both with his back to the basket and facing it is key.

Smith could be that player if he was more consistent from the outside.

OU had the same inside problem and solved it with Thomas this year. There are only about 30 of those players available each year and we rarely get one. Shooters are more available but they have to be able to shoot under NCAA pressure and play defense at this level as well...Rep having problems with both. Dante Swanson was a perfect example of an under the radar player who could hit > 40% from the three and play great defense. You can thank Billy Gillispie for him.

Larry Brown is a good coach........he understood how to beat us and his team executed the task on Saturday. Let's don't fool ourselves either, SMU has talent. Finally, we feel our guards are good but nobody could stop Nic Moore or equal anything he displayed on Saturday........................we have some work to do.

TU_BLA...

We still need 2 big men that can alternate at center.

Then let Wright and Smith alternate at the 4(guard/wing ?)...

We can then go fast or go strong.

Wright prefers to play facing the goal. He has a decent outside shot that could get better over the summer.

Originally posted by GOB10:
I agree that he is our best Freshman. Unfortunately there is only ONE good reason for burning the kids redshirt in the middle of the season and then not even letting him play .He is GONE! I mean honestly think about it...it make no sense at all to not at least play this kid for a few min in every game to see what he can give you if you are going to keep him around but this kid has not played more than 5 min the entire year.
Littlejohn asked Haith to let him play. He had been doing well in practice so Haith started giving him minutes.

Who knows why he did not play vs SMU. IMO whatever minutes Steve Reps. is getting needs to go to Littlejohn, Stevie brings nothing.

Against SMU the real issue was on the boards, thus Haith gave more bench minutes to TK, Dew, and Big E. I was very unimpressed with Big E's lack of athletism, and lack of agressivness. During one SMU turnover Big E was one of the first players down court, but instead of posting up his man and asking for the ball, he just stood in paint like a statue, a non- option for the ball handler. WTF does he even play? I wish Haith would play Dew more minutes when he needs to go deeper than TK. I think Big E managed 1 rebound in 5-8 minutes. Dew seems pretty overwhelmed but at least he wants the ball and is not afraid to mix it up.

Right now Swanny, Ray, and TK are the only contributors coming off the bench, problem is, you never know how much those 3 are going to contribute on a given night.

It might be a better option to give Ray more minutes the next time TU plays SMU. He brings much needed quickness and has been miore of a 3-pt. threat than Curtis over the past month. Plus Ray could probably guard Nic Moore better than any other guard on TU's roster.

TX

This post was edited on 2/9 5:20 PM by texcane1982

Haith has given Littlejohn 30 seconds of PT since burning his shirt against Memphis. Rep has received over 10x that amount of PT since Memphis. Makes zero sense if he's going to be here longterm.

I will agree about Ray guarding Moore...............nobody stopped Moore the other night but I felt Ray did the best job.

I think Ray has to play more because of his 3 point threat............Curtis doesn't even look like he has confidence from 3-line any longer. With that said, he does other things for team value.

I noticed that Haith said Birt is now 6'6"..... He is the other dead-eye
shooter we need, and prob. will avg. 40% +/- behind the arc.....Also
mandatory is a 'big' that can play both ends, especially the rebounding
and defensive aspects of both ends.....

Without that, we will be out-personneled by SMU, Temple, Cinn., UConn.,
and prob. Houston by the end of next year.....The coaching in the AAC
is strong....In fact, very strong in the upper half of the conf.....The idea
that we can win with less than equal personnel is more of a fantasy than
a reality...

Some contended before the season that we would have problems in
the AAC, as our forwards were recruited to play in the USA, not the
AAC.....So far, our record does not indicate that.....However, other than
a win @Temple (we were trailing in the second half when their star guard
got hurt), a strong home win against UConn, and the loss to SMU, our
early conf. schedule has been front loaded with the lower end of the conf..

It will be interesting to see how we fare @UConn, @SMU, and at home
against Temple and Cinn....Of course, our post season possibilities hang
in the balance...

As I.I. posted earlier in this thread, it is easy to see why Haith&Co.
recruited a shooter in Birt, (without an open scholarship) and are
apparently recruiting a JUCO big as well, in order to fulfill personnel
needs that will allow us to compete with the upper tier teams in our conf.....

Originally posted by seniorgolfer:
I noticed that Haith said Birt is now 6'6"..... He is the other dead-eye
shooter we need, and prob. will avg. 40% +/- behind the arc.....Also
mandatory is a 'big' that can play both ends, especially the rebounding
and defensive aspects of both ends.....

Without that, we will be out-personneled by SMU, Temple, Cinn., UConn.,
and prob. Houston by the end of next year.....The coaching in the AAC
is strong....In fact, very strong in the upper half of the conf.....The idea
that we can win with less than equal personnel is more of a fantasy than
a reality...

Some contended before the season that we would have problems in
the AAC, as our forwards were recruited to play in the USA, not the
AAC.....So far, our record does not indicate that.....However, other than
a win @Temple (we were trailing in the second half when their star guard
got hurt), a strong home win against UConn, and the loss to SMU, our
early conf. schedule has been front loaded with the lower end of the conf..

It will be interesting to see how we fare @UConn, @SMU, and at home
against Temple and Cinn....Of course, our post season possibilities hang
in the balance...

As I.I. posted earlier in this thread, it is easy to see why Haith&Co.
recruited a shooter in Birt, (without an open scholarship) and are
apparently recruiting a JUCO big as well, in order to fulfill personnel
needs that will allow us to compete with the upper tier teams in our conf.....
Any conference win on the road is a good win no matter the conference.

GO TU!!!

Does anybody know what's going on with Birt and South Plains CC? He's shooting an impressive 44% from 3 but doesn't start and is only 5th on the team in minutes played. Seems like a player shooting that % from 3 would be getting more PT. He would on my team. Is there an issue with another part of his game?

No inside knowledge but if Littlejohn was thinking about transferring than it makes sense to not burn a redshirt this year and allow him to have a redshirt next year with 3 years playing time left.

Originally posted by t-townpod:
No inside knowledge but if Littlejohn was thinking about transferring than it makes sense to not burn a redshirt this year and allow him to have a redshirt next year with 3 years playing time left.
It'd be three anyway right?

Am I crazy to think that Littlejohn could help us? I like what I've seen from him in very limited minutes. He could play the 3 nicely for us. What am I missing? Does he shoot like crap in practice? Is his defense bad?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Has 5 years to play 4 years. If he redshirted this year, year 1, he would than have to sit out next year, the transfer year. Thus he would only have 3 of basketball playing ability in five years of college eligibility. He could than play graduate school ball I believe but no sure of that. If he plays this year he gets all 4 years of eligibility even if he transfers. This year at TU, a sit out year where he transfers than 3 years at the new school for a 5 year total.

Originally posted by t-townpod:
Has 5 years to play 4 years. If he redshirted this year, year 1, he would than have to sit out next year, the transfer year. Thus he would only have 3 of basketball playing ability in five years of college eligibility. He could than play graduate school ball I believe but no sure of that. If he plays this year he gets all 4 years of eligibility even if he transfers. This year at TU, a sit out year where he transfers than 3 years at the new school for a 5 year total.
I think you just told me he'd have three years whether he played this year or not.

Year 1: Redshirt
Year 2: Transfer - sit
Year 3: Soph
Year 4: Junior
Year 5: Senior

Year 1: Play
Year 2: Redshirt
Year 3 Soph
Year 4: Junior
Year 5: Senior

Nice try?

We are 10-1 in the league and all you care about
Is who you can cut off the team. Screw you all
This isn't the NBA these are college students trying to
Get a degree. Developed your players or can't coaches
Do that now. Coaches with Integrity don't just cut
Players if they are going hard in practice and doing well
In school.

Originally posted by Hardmoneysniper:
In school.
Transfers are usually good for the kid. I know the bench is a place I'd rather not sit. Coaches don't "just" cut players. They help them find places to advance their basketball careers. I think that will happen with a few of our guys.

When do the four year guaranteed scholarships go into effect? Will these stop schools from over-signing and then figuring things out later as far as who goes?

Originally posted by youngblood223:

Originally posted by Hardmoneysniper:
In school.
Transfers are usually good for the kid. I know the bench is a place I'd rather not sit. Coaches don't "just" cut players. They help them find places to advance their basketball careers. I think that will happen with a few of our guys.
I think it is bogus for a coach to ask players to leave if they show up to practice and are doing what is required of them in the classroom. Of course players are going to look for opportunities for more playing time and they can usually see the writing on the wall. Scottie Haralson is a perfect example of that. I think coaches have ways of tactfully letting players know that the PT is not going to be there for them and then asking what they are thinking and moving on from there. Calhoun helped Scottie find his way here. I find myself in a tough position because while I agree that certain players should be allowed to transfer (without sitting out) because they're just not going to get the PT here, I am not in favor of guys leaving to move to power conferences because all of a sudden they've honed their craft and worthy of a P5 scholarship. Maybe whether or not they're immediately eligible should be based on % of minutes played at their old school being less than 50%.

That said...I still for the life of me cannot figure out why Tayshaun Thomas is eligible to play this year. Anyone?

I'll give it a try...because the NCAA has relinquished almost all oversight to the P5 schools themselves. Anyone think the ruling would have been different if Thomas was transferring from a P5 school instead of Houston. I do. Look at Baker Mayfield.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT