ADVERTISEMENT

getting back to 12

I'd also add Georgia State prior to Charlotte. Bigger Metro. Slightly better football team. Nicer (and larger) stadium. Airline Hub. "State" school. Recent basketball success. Doesn't overlap the footprint geographically with ECU. Much larger undergraduate population than Charlotte. They could start to steal eyeballs away from the ACC where Georgia Tech is vulnerable and it would make the conference look better. Plus they have access to a big empty NFL stadium just like Charlotte does.
I could get on board with that.

Georgia State was on the short list when we got in. Crappy academics. Like really bad. Like so bad even UCF and USF, schools more than half the students go to after they’ve failed out of another state school, said no way. No chance SMU Temple and Tulane sign off on that. They didn’t before, they won’t again.

But it’s a new era. They’ve got the airport and the eyeballs and if memory serves a new stadium or one soon. That could trump grades.

Georgia State was on the short list when we got in. Crappy academics. Like really bad. Like so bad even UCF and USF, schools more than half the students go to after they’ve failed out of another state school, said no way. No chance SMU Temple and Tulane sign off on that. They didn’t before, they won’t again.

But it’s a new era. They’ve got the airport and the eyeballs and if memory serves a new stadium or one soon. That could trump grades.
I recognize that... but I really don't care that much. UCF is already bad enough and we put up with them. Same goes for Memphis and ECU.

Georgia State is #211 in the USNews rankings. Houston is #185. Memphis is #272. Wichita is below 299.

Charlotte is #228 for comparison.

Reactions: HuffyCane
You all have to quit giving so much weight to Huffy.

We can start with the BS that western teams are a no go.

Football only they are definitely options. SDSU is probably too far. Aresco has been open about BYU being ideal. He also has said multiple times since UConn left that geography isn't really an issue for football.

He [Aresco] also said the league would not prioritize the Northeast if it does decide to bring on a new member, emphasizing the AAC is a national brand.

Second, Charlotte isn't even on the csnbbs realignment board's list and hell people have suggested North Dakota St on there.

Charlotte met with conference officials because they became an associate member in women's lacrosse. They don't check any other boxes.

We have a conference board, with people from every school, several of whom are well connected in their programs. Currently the best CUSA member is UAB and they lag badly in key areas. The most likely all sports member who has actually inquired is Colorado St but it's a bit of a stretch and while an improvement over UConn football they are below them on everything else and come with their own issues. They also don't improve the conference over staying at 11.

The football only team that has publicly hinted they may be interested is Air Force, who has been dropping hints for the last year and is believed to be one of the schools most upset with Boise's sweetheart tv deal.

BYU flirted with us a bit and Aresco did a lot of PR work in provo, making appearences on tv, radio, and doing some print media interviews but BYU never made any serious attempts or hints.

Army has been generally negative when ever conferences are brought up. With both UConn, UMass, and Liberty within reasonable distance and needing late season games like Army, plus the Army Navy game being the last of the season they really don't have a lot of pressure to change.

Reactions: TulsaFan2000
We will stay at 11 or add a school with similar budgets, facilities, coaching salaries, support, attendance, and performance.

The p6 campaign is a strategic plan with goals laid out, Aresco and several conference ADs have been clear that they will only add someone who furthers that effort.

Reactions: rusty-c
You all have to quit giving so much weight to Huffy.

We can start with the BS that western teams are a no go.

Football only they are definitely options. SDSU is probably too far. Aresco has been open about BYU being ideal. He also has said multiple times since UConn left that geography isn't really an issue for football.

Second, Charlotte isn't even on the csnbbs realignment board's list and hell people have suggested North Dakota St on there.

Charlotte met with conference officials because they became an associate member in women's lacrosse. They don't check any other boxes.

We have a conference board, with people from every school, several of whom are well connected in their programs. Currently the best CUSA member is UAB and they lag badly in key areas. The most likely all sports member who has actually inquired is Colorado St but it's a bit of a stretch and while an improvement over UConn football they are below them on everything else and come with their own issues. They also don't improve the conference over staying at 11.

The football only team that has publicly hinted they may be interested is Air Force, who has been dropping hints for the last year and is believed to be one of the schools most upset with Boise's sweetheart tv deal.

BYU flirted with us a bit and Aresco did a lot of PR work in provo, making appearences on tv, radio, and doing some print media interviews but BYU never made any serious attempts or hints. All you do is go on about what you think would work best. That doesn't always/usually match up with the decision makers.

Army has been generally negative when ever conferences are brought up. With both UConn, UMass, and Liberty within reasonable distance and needing late season games like Army, plus the Army Navy game being the last of the season they really don't have a lot of pressure to change.
I'll start giving less weight to Huffy when you start coming up with as much inside info as him. I might even give a little less weight to Huffy if you came up with any inside info. You get too big for your britches occasionally. You only talk bout what you think would work best IYO. That doesn't always/usually match up with decision makers.

Last edited:
I love hearing everyone’s opinion and am just excited for this season!!! I think we may have a special group of kids that with some coaching adjustments will have a great year. Hoping my optimism doesn’t punch me in the throat in October!!! Please keep sharing all of your opinions .. inside info or not!!!!

Reactions: HuffyCane
If you want to add a western school and want to rob CUSA, consider UNT.

Yeah, didn't they take over Turner Field (former Atlanta Olympic Stadium) when the Braves built their new stadium (btw, when did a stadium's life shorten from 50 years to 20? I mean the Rangers built another new ballpark when their previous stadium (a nice place to watch a game) was only like 25 years old.)

SMU and TU are strongly against this.
Yeah...UNT is doing a good job of recruiting against both SMU and TCU and probably on par with us in terms of recruiting right now. Nice campus, brand new stadium w/ IPF coming and only 30 minutes from the metroplex. And there's a mostly women's college just up the road from them.

Reactions: TU 1978
Yeah, didn't they take over Turner Field (former Atlanta Olympic Stadium) when the Braves built their new stadium (btw, when did a stadium's life shorten from 50 years to 20? I mean the Rangers built another new ballpark when their previous stadium (a nice place to watch a game) was only like 25 years old.)
Yup. They call it Georgia State Stadium.
Georgia-State-Stadium-1024x683.jpg

the AAC needs a big slash addition

Army brings the most on a national appeal.
ND would also be good

the AAC needs a big slash addition

Army brings the most on a national appeal.
ND would also be good
Notre Dame is not coming to the AAC, they love being Independent in football. If they were to join a conference they would join the ACC where their other sports are located.

Reactions: el duran
I'll start giving less wait to Huffy when you start coming up with as much inside info as him. I might even give a little less weight to Huffy if you came up with any inside info. You get too big for your britches occasionally. You only talk bout what you think would work best IYO. That doesn't always/usually match up with decision makers.

Lol like that inside info that said we would never sign a series with Army again?

Inside info? Why if I was told something in confidence would I run and share it on a public board? You literally have no idea, because you shouldn't.

This isn't inside info. I told you why Charlotte was talking to the AAC, its public knowledge. So is the p6 campaign, which every athletic director and Aresco have publically stated is the measuring stick.

AAC has two homeruns for football Army or BYU.

The AAC has one that will work Air Force.

Otherwise the AAC will sit tight, according to some even with uneven divisions. That's not inside info either, it's been publically stated as the AAC's position if they lose the waiver and haven't found a replacement. It's a pain to schedule but they will do it.

This is discussed ad nauseam on the conference board, with public sources, some of the posters are known donors with personal connections to their athletic directors, they will also share. If you would like a run down simply pick any of the many threads there over the subject they are all pretty much the same.

Lol like that inside info that said we would never sign a series with Army again?

Inside info? Why if I was told something in confidence would I run and share it on a public board? You literally have no idea, because you shouldn't.

This isn't inside info. I told you why Charlotte was talking to the AAC, its public knowledge. So is the p6 campaign, which every athletic director and Aresco have publically stated is the measuring stick.

AAC has two homeruns for football Army or BYU.

The AAC has one that will work Air Force.

Otherwise the AAC will sit tight, according to some even with uneven divisions. That's not inside info either, it's been publically stated as the AAC's position if they lose the waiver and haven't found a replacement. It's a pain to schedule but they will do it.

This is discussed ad nauseam on the conference board, with public sources, some of the posters are known donors with personal connections to their athletic directors, they will also share. If you would like a run down simply pick any of the many threads there over the subject they are all pretty much the same.
BYU has no interest, they likely never will. Of course none of that which you said in your post was inside info, because you've never had any. You don't know anybody. I don't need you to regurgitate what you read in the sports pages. I can do that myself. It took you that long to respond with that drivel? Hardly anybody listens to you anyway, so it just doesn't matter.

Last edited:
If the AAC loses its waiver but the Big XII keeps theirs, there will be a lawsuit filed. That would be the definition of arbitrary and capricious

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT