SoMiss
La Tech
Army
Marshall
middle tenn
ap st

steal someone from a p5
Vandy
Ark ( they have never been happy with their move)
Louisville
Wake Forest

is Wichita going to restart football?

Arkansas or Vandy would be decent adds, but their would be rioting in the streets of Fayetteville if they walked away from all that SEC money. Plus, could either of those 2 compete in the AAC with the budget we get instead of their big TV bucks?

Since uconn left, who should we add?

geography not right
Boise
BYU
Colorado St
Air Force
Utep

geography friendly
SoMiss
La Tech
Army
Marshall
middle tenn
ap st

steal someone from a p5
Vandy
Ark ( they have never been happy with their move)
Louisville
Wake Forest

is Wichita going to restart football?
Boise and or Colorado St would further
expand our recruiting base in areas where the talent pool is expanding.

Texas. They would want special financial considerations and you let them have it. They improve their chance to get into the playoff vs most other conferences. We get sell out every other year at home. TV revenue will go way up even if UT gets all the $ from their home games. The opportunity to get conference money from Texas road games is big for the AAC. As I hold my nose to say this - go after the Longhorns.
I tried to add the laughing emoji!

Last edited:
Reactions: Hurricane Drummer
1. Army
2. Airforce
3. Somiss
4. Col st

Would it detract from the anual army navy game if they were both in the conference?

1. Army
2. Airforce
3. Somiss
4. Col st

Would it detract from the anual army navy game if they were both in the conference?

Yes although creative scheduling could avoid it, that works much better in a fourteen team set up with them in opposing divisions and still requires some negotiation. It is played on a special day and neither Army or Navy wants to give it up.

In order:

1. BYU
2. Army
3. Air Force
Can ride coattails:
Colorado State if two of the three say yes, but one says no.

All are football only adds.

1. Won't come because of pride and the money is pretty even.

2. Hasn't shown an interest in conference again, Navy game issue. Lacks the same length of success run Navy had coming in. Money is better if they keep Army/Navy.

3. Weakest of the three offers, still quite an upgrade from UConn, gets some bonus out of freeing up ooc. Has to find Olympic Sports home. Money would be slightly better as Football only.

4. Coattails on location and facilities, upgrade on UConn, probably not worth it as a stand alone. Money would be slightly better as Football only.

Those considered but discarded.

Boise St: lack the academics, burned bridge and danced in flames, sweet heart deal means they make roughly what they would or a bit more than as Football only, has to find home for Olympic Sports.

SDSU: Too far, probably about to have legal and then state funding problems with "new stadium" they swindled the city out of.

Liberty: Sorry, too controversial, just not a headache the conference presidents want. Yes to some extent BYU has a similar issue.

Since none of those options that are acceptable seem in play, we will stay at eleven. Especially since non-divisional, non-round-robin, keep your championship rule change is seen as very possible.

All are football only adds.
Won't ever happen. MWC isn't going to let Colorado St or Air Force leave in football and stay in Olympic sports only. BYU is a possibility for that but I think they'd welcome the chance to have all their sports in the same conference. The AAC is better than the WCC in most sports and certainly deeper in basketball (Gonzaga may be a top 5 program in America over the last 20 years....don't @ me).

And let's be honest...the WCC is actually a good fit for BYU in many ways. All the schools in the conference have can tie their founding and original missions to a religious organization (most Jesuit, but some protestant founded, and of course BYU). That is the same for the Big East except for UCONN now. The travel for BYU would be considerably better in the WCC vs AAC.

TBH, Air Force is the most logical for the AAC. Colorado Springs isn't so far removed from us and Wichita State, and this most of the schools in the western part of the conference. By air, Colorado Springs is 2 hrs from Tulsa, 3 from Dallas 3.5 to 4 from Houston. You can work in a deal that Air Force and Navy would be a permanent crossover game (just like Memphis and Cincy should be). This would leave Navy's ability to schedule Army in December, intact.

Last edited:
Won't ever happen. MWC isn't going to let Colorado St or Air Force leave in football and stay in Olympic sports only. BYU is a possibility for that but I think they'd welcome the chance to have all their sports in the same conference. The AAC is better than the WCC in most sports and certainly deeper in basketball (Gonzaga may be a top 5 program in America over the last 20 years....don't @ me).

And let's be honest...the WCC is actually a good fit for BYU in many ways. All the schools in the conference have can tie their founding and original missions to a religious organization (most Jesuit, but some protestant founded, and of course BYU). That is the same for the Big East except for UCONN now. The travel for BYU would be considerably better in the WCC vs AAC.

TBH, Air Force is the most logical for the AAC. Colorado Springs isn't so far removed from us and Wichita State, and this most of the schools in the western part of the conference. By air, Colorado Springs is 2 hrs from Tulsa, 3 from Dallas 3.5 to 4 from Houston. You can work in a deal that Air Force and Navy would be a permanent crossover game (just like Memphis and Cincy should be). This would leave Navy's ability to schedule Army in December, intact.

Air Force could easily go Summit, WAC, or WCC and needs to step down in Olympic sports, in fact the WCC would be perfect, very similar to the Patriot for Army/Navy.

BYU wants to keep its sports in the WCC and anyone west of the Rockies is strictly considered for football only because of travel.

CSU is only getting in on coattails and has the same options minus the WCC as Air Force.

Navy will remain in the west, that's where they want to be which means Air Force and Navy are in the same division.

Navy will remain in the west, that's where they want to be which means Air Force and Navy are in the same division.
Which would be fine.

Air Force to the WCC makes little sense. The travel for Olympic sports would be as bad as it would be in the AAC.

Which would be fine.

Air Force to the WCC makes little sense. The travel for Olympic sports would be as bad as it would be in the AAC.

No it wouldn't, in fact it would be a little less than the travel in the MWC. Gonzaga isn't too far from Boise, everyone else is in California, and BYU is 500m away. It's a high academic standard private school league, very similar to the patriot conference for Army/Navy that allows them to compete in most sports in one conference against schools with similar restrictions. As opposed to struggling to compete with mammoth state schools.

the air force complaining about traveling to games would be like??????

The East schools will not agree to any location in the west that isn’t a one connection commercial flight away. Period. Full stop. They say it over and over.

The East schools will not agree to any location in the west that isn’t a one connection commercial flight away. Period. Full stop. They say it over and over.
Well, most of the schools in the AAC can get a direct flight to Denver and then it's an hour bus ride to Colorado Springs.

C-17 could do that. C-5 would be overkill... Plus they break constantly (only at beach locations though...).
C'mon the football team needs some pomp and circumstance. Wouldn't you like to see the football team and the marching band march out the nose-cone? lol

Reactions: TU Pilot
Well, most of the schools in the AAC can get a direct flight to Denver and then it's an hour bus ride to Colorado Springs.
Do most teams fly into the state school's towns? I can't imagine they all have commercial airports, but maybe I'm wrong.

too much hassle and expense for Olympics and too much can go wrong. You add UNC Charlotte and you end the planes trains and automobiles scenarios. Part of the AAC brand under Areseco is that the teams are from major cities and they are easy to get to for media coverage. Many of the ESPN production folks work for slightly less pay to do AAC games rather than SEC because of the travel and lodging problems.

too much hassle and expense for Olympics and too much can go wrong. You add UNC Charlotte and you end the planes trains and automobiles scenarios. Part of the AAC brand under Areseco is that the teams are from major cities and they are easy to get to for media coverage. Many of the ESPN production folks work for slightly less pay to do AAC games rather than SEC because of the travel and lodging problems.

Charlotte has zero chance.

If we add an Olympic sports member ala Wichita St it is likely VCU, with Dayton and St. Louis as next in line.

The issue is no all sports member, UAB is closest and is still well short, meet the criteria in our footprint. Only a few football only options would work and then there are three or four good Olympic sports schools to choose from.

Geography is irrelevant for the most part for football, if BYU and AFA switched spots they would likely work for all sports and the chance of a BYU add would be better.

As it is Army and BYU don't seem interested and AFA appears ready to sit for now. Since it could get awkward with an Olympic sports member if we want to add a full member later, the AAC will stand at 11 until the waiver runs out at least.

When you consider that the commissioner and the presidents of the two most powerful and monied schools in the conference have met with them informally and said favorable things, I beg to differ. I think it’s a terrible choice but of all the schools that have been mentioned here it’s the one most likely to happen

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
Why add another NC school? I know they're not exactly close to each other, but it seems like we might be double dipping in a state that's not as largely populated as Florida or Texas. Also, they have no history of being decent in Football and their basketball team isn't exactly a powerhouse either.

Why add another NC school? I know they're not exactly close to each other, but it seems like we might be double dipping in a state that's not as largely populated as Florida or Texas. Also, they have no history of being decent in Football and their basketball team isn't exactly a powerhouse either.
Because they have a major airport and the city and the school together aggressively approached the AAC.

Reactions: Rippin
Because they have a major airport and the city and the school together aggressively approached the AAC.
Charlotte also has access to an NFL stadium if the conference ever decided to do a neutral site championship game. And with Charlotte in the mix, it might give the AAC access to the Belk Bowl which is one of the better games of the lesser known bowls.

Reactions: HuffyCane
Charlotte also has access to an NFL stadium if the conference ever decided to do a neutral site championship game. And with Charlotte in the mix, it might give the AAC access to the Belk Bowl which is one of the better games of the lesser known bowls.
Now you are thinking like a commish or an AD and not a fan or poster.

North Carolina’s population is one of the fastest growing in the country. Charlotte is also near the SC border and draws students from both areas. ECU is 6+ hours from Charlotte. The perception of UNCC academically is better than ECU (referred to in NC as EZU). ECU is a far superior football program with strong fan support. In the AAC ECU has the most donors to their athletic support organization.

UNCC would not be in my top 5 choices to add but if the east schools are adamant about a full member on this side of the country they would be a good choice.

North Carolina’s population is one of the fastest growing in the country. Charlotte is also near the SC border and draws students from both areas. ECU is 6+ hours from Charlotte. The perception of UNCC academically is better than ECU (referred to in NC as EZU). ECU is a far superior football program with strong fan support. In the AAC ECU has the most donors to their athletic support organization.

UNCC would not be in my top 5 choices to add but if the east schools are adamant about a full member on this side of the country they would be a good choice.
They’ve made it clear that they aren’t going to pay for the extra staff necessary to coordinate multi hub travel and extended stays. The non-football coaches don’t want their staff distracted. They are there to coach, not trouble shoot when the van service to Colorado Springs doesn’t show up. I used to fly to Boise from Orlando regularly. It takes all day. You’ve got a lot of kids out of class and away from their beds and books for four or five days. It makes flying up, walking through, sleeping, waking up, playing the game and flying home late from Charlotte look really good. Those $89.00 Jet Blue fares look pretty good versus $689 for Boise.

So schools like Boise State are just out. Period. Unless it is football only and the members are trying to avoid that.

Nothing I'd like to see more than the western division of our conference being forced to play in an empty cathedral 1000 miles away during the championship game. Sounds like a blast.

Nothing I'd like to see more than the western division of our conference being forced to play in an empty cathedral 1000 miles away during the championship game. Sounds like a blast.
It’s hard to admit, but if the Liberty Bowl improvements happen as promised, it should always be played there or in Tulsa.

I think I'd add Marshall before I'd add Charlotte. They have a good history in football and they can fill their stadium. They've had competitive seasons in basketball.

The addition will be based on # of eyeballs added. No one cares about Charlotte football in Charlotte. Their stadium capacity is absolutely tiny at 15K. They're not going to draw many eyes at home, and they have zero competitive history. You think the Houston fans like to complain about having to watch Houston vs. Tulsa? Imagine them b*tching about having to watch Charlotte.

Last edited:
It’s hard to admit, but if the Liberty Bowl improvements happen as promised, it should always be played there or in Tulsa.
And I don't really have a problem playing the game in Memphis most of the time. It is pretty much the geographic center of the conference. The conference basketball tourneys too for the same reason...except it gives way too much of a home court advantage to Memphis.

Reactions: astonmartin708
I think I'd add Marshall before I'd add Charlotte. They have a good history in football and they can fill their stadium. They've had competitive seasons in basketball.
Program is more broke than us. They may drop all sports. Weather and airport access terrible.

Reactions: TU1NNJ and TU_BLA
I'd also add Georgia State prior to Charlotte. Bigger Metro. Slightly better football team. Nicer (and larger) stadium. Airline Hub. "State" school. Recent basketball success. Doesn't overlap the footprint geographically with ECU. Much larger undergraduate population than Charlotte. They could start to steal eyeballs away from the ACC where Georgia Tech is vulnerable and it would make the conference look better. Plus they have access to a big empty NFL stadium just like Charlotte does.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT