ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Game Attendance

It's Friday, if we have more than 50 students that aren't band members at the game I'll be shocked.

O/U on the number of actual bodies in attendance: 9500
O/U on announced attendance: 16,542

This seems like a reasonable guess. Even on bad days, I still think we have more football fans than basketball fans so 9k sounds about right.

Plus, Owasso HS is expecting 6-7k for senior night and Pats would flip his lid if the local high school team drew more than TU.

This seems like a reasonable guess. Even on bad days, I still think we have more football fans than basketball fans so 9k sounds about right.

Plus, Owasso HS is expecting 6-7k for senior night and Pats would flip his lid if the local high school team drew more than TU.
I'll admit I hate it when you end up with any of the big 4 east schools playing one another in the state championship game in Skelly and they come close to 25-30k.

And I don't think any of the west teams will come close to making the finals this year but with Jenks, BA, and Union all losing games early in district play and probably having to play a road game before the semifinals, this might be their best chance in a long time to get a west team in a final.

I'll admit I hate it when you end up with any of the big 4 east schools playing one another in the state championship game in Skelly and they come close to 25-30k.

And I don't think any of the west teams will come close to making the finals this year but with Jenks, BA, and Union all losing games early in district play and probably having to play a road game before the semifinals, this might be their best chance in a long time to get a west team in a final.

In an odd number calendar year, the semi finals and/or finals are played at a west side stadium if any of those teams make it that far.

There’s at least one reasonable scenario where all 4 east side teams fall into the same side of the bracket so the finals could be in OkC this year.

Edmond Santa Fe is pretty good, but regular season success doesn’t always translate into the playoffs.

Owasso goes for it’s first undefeated regular season in 33 years tonight. It may sound familiar but they’re a kicker short of having a really good team.

In an odd number calendar year, the semi finals and/or finals are played at a west side stadium if any of those teams make it that far.

There’s at least one reasonable scenario where all 4 east side teams fall into the same side of the bracket so the finals could be in OkC this year.

Edmond Santa Fe is pretty good, but regular season success doesn’t always translate into the playoffs.

Owasso goes for it’s first undefeated regular season in 33 years tonight.
Union lost to Mustang earlier but they didn't play well and still probably should have won the game. BA has had its clunkers but still has more talent than just about any team in the state, and Jenks is Jenks. I think the coach there gets more out of his kids than any other coach considering the talent pool in Jenks has dropped since Trimble stepped down. TBH, the 2 best teams in the state (all levels) are Owasso and Bixby. The whiny west side excuses that led to the split in 6A hasn't helped them at all. I believe Bixby and Booker T have won each of the 6A-2 championships played. And what was the last year a west side school won 6A? Sometime in the 90s right?

Looking at current records, it would be a tough road for the east schools to pair up in the finals this year. It can happen, but I think Mustang needs to lose to Moore tonight to put Union in 2nd in their district. Otherwise Union would play at BA in the 1st round of the playoffs.

Last edited:
a) But how long we stay will come down to how bad we suck and how cold it gets. And I don't remember that last time I left a game early.

a) But how long we stay will come down to how bad we suck and how cold it gets. And I don't remember that last time I left a game early.
I left the OU game when it was pouring down rain a couple of years ago early. If we get down 17-0 or more before our offense decides to show up tonight, I'll leave. I've seen that script played out a few times this year and while I get my hopes up in the 2nd quarter when it does show up, I know what the end result is...no thank you. Too f*cking cold to be disappointed and amped up and pissed at 10pm so that I can't fall asleep until 2am. I'll just end my misery early go home, take a xanax and wake up tomorrow morning.

Not sure why we always give up an easy first TD. It takes the D about 2 series to decide to play.

You’re a real trooper if you stuck it out to the end of the UConn game.
Last year? We won that game. Absolutely stayed til the end. I can honestly say I don't leave early in games we're getting trounced in...unless the weather sucks as well. If it's just me, that's one thing, but the kids hate sticking around in rain and seeing TU lose and it gets late.

Not sure why we always give up an easy first TD. It takes the D about 2 series to decide to play.
I wouldn't care if the offense didn't take the most of a quarter to get going. If the other team scores and we come down and match, no big deal...but having to play from way behind in so many games makes it hard on the defense to build any momentum and keep their energy level up. That's why the big play against Navy that got taken off the board was huge. Killed all momentum and energy our D had built up to that point.

And I think our D coaches make really good on the fly adjustments once they see what's happening.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
making plans to be warm despite the weather. But if it's over at half, I'll leave at that point.

I left the OU game when it was pouring down rain a couple of years ago early. If we get down 17-0 or more before our offense decides to show up tonight, I'll leave. I've seen that script played out a few times this year and while I get my hopes up in the 2nd quarter when it does show up, I know what the end result is...no thank you. Too f*cking cold to be disappointed and amped up and pissed at 10pm so that I can't fall asleep until 2am. I'll just end my misery early go home, take a xanax and wake up tomorrow morning.
Xanax sounds about right.

It's Friday, if we have more than 50 students that aren't band members at the game I'll be shocked.

O/U on the number of actual bodies in attendance: 9500
O/U on announced attendance: 16,542
This.

I love the irony of people coming on a TU football board to complain about high school football overshadowing the Hurricane. Then the thread devolves into a discussion by these same people about high school football.

I love the irony of people coming on a TU football board to complain about high school football overshadowing the Hurricane. Then the thread devolves into a discussion by these same people about high school football.

It’s Friday night in Oklahoma. What else are they supposed to talk about.

Speak of the devil!

How is any of what I posted nonsense?

Trying to shame other TU fans to decrease the fan base? Some of the people on this board show exactly why there's only about 10 regular posters and has basically not grown at all in over a decade of being online. You bully anyone who doesn't agree with the accepted view among those 10 posters. I regularly bring others to the game and get new on-the-fence fans to go.

Trying to shame other TU fans to decrease the fan base? Some of the people on this board show exactly why there's only about 10 regular posters and has basically not grown at all in over a decade of being online. You bully anyone who doesn't agree with the accepted view among those 10 posters. I regularly bring others to the game and get new on-the-fence fans to go.
We don’t bully anyone, but if we did, I can guess who some of us would start with. Still dig the avatar btw.

I think it was a reference to many of your recent posts and not the specific post

of course we did end up staying til the end of this game. It's always a joy to see the once overconfident road fans be such sad pandas after their team loses.
They were much more quiet after the game than they were before kickoff.

We don’t bully anyone, but if we did, I can guess who some of us would start with. Still dig the avatar btw.
5 or 7 posters have sane criticisms of the teams we are supporting, and then have valid criticisms on multiple posts of specific people posting. That's not bullying, it's supporting sanity. The reason we're not growing is Tulsa's fan base is limited. It has nothing to do with the 'bullying' that you are espousing.

I have my doubts that they’ll get by Mustang this week. If the manage to win there I think the road back to the final may be possible.

Reactions: TU_BLA
Mustang is tough but beatable.
If Jenks can get by them I think they’ll make it to the Championship.
Jenks is playing much better the last 3-4 weeks. Mustang beat Union by 2 or 3. I believe Union had 4-5 turnovers in that game including a Mustang scoop and score.

It won't matter...Owasso will win the state championship pretty handily. The next best team in the state plays at 6A-2 (Bixby). The 6A-2 State Championship should be pretty intriguing. Stillwater is also pretty good and has a Gundy at QB

Reactions: Weatherdemon
It won't matter...Owasso will win the state championship pretty handily. The next best team in the state plays at 6A-2 (Bixby). The 6A-2 State Championship should be pretty intriguing. Stillwater is also pretty good and has a Gundy at QB

This Owasso team isn’t loaded like 2 years ago. The hotshot running back got hurt against Union and hasn’t played since. And it’s still an adventure each and every time they attempt any sort of kick.

Don’t pencil them in just yet.

This Owasso team isn’t loaded like 2 years ago. The hotshot running back got hurt against Union and hasn’t played since. And it’s still an adventure each and every time they attempt any sort of kick.

Don’t pencil them in just yet.
Jacobs isn't playing?

He hasn’t played in several weeks and isn’t expected back soon.
Had no idea. Friday when Union plays at BA will be my first HS game this season. And the only reason I'm going is because my son has to be part of the pep band for the game (they're calling in the 8th graders to fill in because the regular band will be in Indy for BOA). I've followed some scores online.

TU should offer all veterans a free ticket to any home game if they bring their military ID and wear a TU jersey. Why not fill up the empty stands with vets who served their country for seats that would be empty anyway? It'll earn the university a reputation of goodwill and might build a bit of a following within the community....

Had no idea. Friday when Union plays at BA will be my first HS game this season. And the only reason I'm going is because my son has to be part of the pep band for the game (they're calling in the 8th graders to fill in because the regular band will be in Indy for BOA). I've followed some scores online.

Good luck if your son decides to continue with band in High School. Band Parent is a huge time commitment, but you do get to go to the football games.

TU should offer all veterans a free ticket to any home game if they bring their military ID and wear a TU jersey. Why not fill up the empty stands with vets who served their country for seats that would be empty anyway? It'll earn the university a reputation of goodwill and might build a bit of a following within the community....

All high school playoff games state wide are offering free tickets to veterans and a guest this Friday.

Good luck if your son decides to continue with band in High School. Band Parent is a huge time commitment, but you do get to go to the football games.
I am fully aware of the commitment of a band parent. My parents were big time band parents when I was in HS. Couldn't figure out why my friends all wanted to be on their bus or in their chaperone group. I also marched DCI and know what type of volunteer support staff it takes to pull off a summer tour like that beyond your marching staff.

He has said he doesn't want to do marching band next year. That may change...who knows. He wants to continue to do the orchestra stuff and has indicated he wants to do the Macy's parade with Union next year. We told him that's marching band...but apparently, Union is taking just about any kid in the band program that wants to do the Macy's parade for numbers and sound on TV. That'll be cool.

Friday should bring back some memories for me being around the band at a HS football game. Unfortunately Union plays the Minnesota fight song vs when I was in HS when we played "On New Bedford" (madly ripped off from On Wisconsin).

It my understanding they are already doing that through vettix.org, which if you are a vet living in a major city and aren’t using then you need to sign up. Two floor seats at a godawful Taylor Shift show were free. The guy next to us paid $2200 ... a piece.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT