ADVERTISEMENT

Frank Haith

TULSARISING

I.T.S. Offensive Coordinator
Jun 21, 2017
Just curious what everyone thinks what his future should be after this season? With all of the covid issues, does this dignify another year? Or should Tulsa let him go since we haven’t danced?
Discuss

Probably a Hurricane Alley discussion area at this point.

Do we really need to discuss what should happen after this season? Most of us quite ready to see an improvement in the near future.

Do we really need to discuss what should happen after this season? Most of us quite ready to see an improvement in the near future.
We are only 2 and 1/2 games out of second place it ain’t over till the fat lady sings.

T
We wouldn’t have gone last year either but we have a tri championship banner. Aac is the 4th best rpi conference.
Exactly! Even on a “ good year” we were not going to go, it’s time for a change , we have not been since we have had just his players and he has had plenty of time

Reactions: libertychamp
I've always been a supporter of Haith. Quite frankly, I like him and want him to be successful. And if any year should be taken with a grain of salt, it's this one.

But I do grow weary of waiting for a truly break out season. Some of the same problems have plagued his teams his whole tenure. The slow starts to games and seasons. The penchant for playing to the level of the competition. He hasn't seemed to grow and learn from those problems.

At this point I still won't advocate for his departure, but if it happens, I'll understand it and won't protest much.

Everyone knows my opinion. He’s underperformed despite having tons of good players. I honestly feel bad for our players because they haven’t received the complimentary coaching / recruiting to let them see the NCAA tournament which every competent Tulsa player should experience at least once.

Haith has been on the edge for 2 to 3 years now. The inability to get to the tournament in some time is not good ( didn't win when we got there either). He has to be on the hot seat. I think coaches deserve a number of years to establish a program, but after 6 or so years it looks to me that all we have is a slightly better version of Wojick. Haith is probably a better person though. I will give him that.

Reactions: BABlake
I think Frank is a good person but it is time for a change. I think his style of play has been figured out by the league . and he doesn't have the shooters to bail him out.

What style of play? Run around the 3 point line and try to dribble penetrate? This is like watching 6th grade basketball!! The whole coaching staff does NOTHING during the game.Frank will get on the refs here and there but his team whines when they do not get a call. This team is embarrassing.

I’ve been saying he’s Wojcik 2.0 for 4 years now. He squandered Shaq and Woodard who should have made the field of 64 three times and only made it once under Manning. He did nothing with Etou Horne or Jeffries. And he wouldn’t have made it to the tourney with two years of Rachal and Jackson. Going back to Missouri he underperformed with his all-star Kim English team and didn’t even make the tournament with Clarkson / Brown.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tulsa Guy
How bad is our recruiting compared to the teams in our league? Is Tulsa using a scholarship On Gendron and Seals that we could’ve signed a 3 star in their scholarship spots because I’m sure neither of the 2 legends were 3 stars just like Haiths son took up a walk-on spot and was not a 3 star. What are we paying Haith? Rivals this 2020 class 2 3 stars and 3 0 stars

How bad is our recruiting compared to the teams in our league? Is Tulsa using a scholarship On Gendron and Seals that we could’ve signed a 3 star in their scholarship spots because I’m sure neither of the 2 legends were 3 stars just like Haiths son took up a walk-on spot and was not a 3 star. What are we paying Haith? Rivals this 2020 class 2 3 stars and 3 0 stars
It's not recruiting. Our recruits should be competative. They're certainly of similar caliber to teams like SMU, UCF, Temple, Wichita, etc...

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
If you could count, you would know Seals and Gendron aren't on an athletic scholarship.

What are we paying Haith?
We have paid him as much as $2 million a season in the past. That’s a fact. That amount is now lower and which I believe it to be in the $1.6 million base range. That’s based on anecdotes and no official information. I could be wrong.

It's not recruiting. Our recruits should be competative. They're certainly of similar caliber to teams like SMU, UCF, Temple, Wichita, etc...
Yes. Many of the problems are systemic and pre-date Haith. Stuff going back before Bubba. Doing stuff certain ways with certain people just because that’s the way it’s always been without a lot of inquiry or oversight from experienced people with proven judgment tested in larger programs. We have that now.

Looking back Haith was a chance to perform well despite those deficiencies and self created obstacles. He came up short. Wainwright was a band-aid. If Haith stays, he will benefit from those improvements. But the wins won’t come from just coaching.

But I don’t think it will be over night. We need to sunset the shoe contract and make other internal decisions regarding off court performance. Comparatively, we are doing better on the court than off in some ways, depending on how you look at it.

Yes. Many of the problems are systemic and pre-date Haith. Stuff going back before Bubba. Doing stuff certain ways with certain people just because that’s the way it’s always been without a lot of inquiry or oversight from experienced people with proven judgment tested in larger programs. We have that now.

Looking back Haith was a chance to perform well despite those deficiencies and self created obstacles. He came up short. Wainwright was a band-aid. If Haith stays, he will benefit from those improvements. But the wins won’t come from just coaching.

But I don’t think it will be over night. We need to sunset the shoe contract and make other internal decisions regarding off court performance. Comparatively, we are doing better on the court than off in some ways, depending on how you look at it.
You lost me. You’re blaming this on our shoe deal?

You lost me. You’re blaming this on our shoe deal?
That’s one example of several bad decisions and poor off court structure that handicaps how the team performs on the floor.

Haith is not the problem. Though, if we didn’t have larger issues, Haith might be the problem. Let’s fix our problems then deal with Haith. Not replace Haith and then say “Problem solved.” Only to be back here 3 years from now saying the same things.

Guys I have bled B&G with this team for 40 years. I hate to see us losing like we are. However, this team will have a very difficult time getting much better for some time due to the financial situation at TU. There is no money for sports, period. We are the smallest D1 program out there and and one of the smallest fan bases. We are fortunate to still be D1 in anything.
Your only hope would be to hire a promising high school coach or D2 coach and hope he can teach. Either way, I worried the days ofus competing on the national level may have ended.
I hate to say that but all you guys who want to fire Montgomery and Haith aren’t looking at the whole picture. Just my two cents.

I’ve been saying he’s Wojcik 2.0 for 4 years now. He squandered Shaq and Woodard who should have made the field of 64 three times and only made it once under Manning. He did nothing with Etou Horne or Jeffries. And he wouldn’t have made it to the tourney with two years of Rachal and Jackson. Going back to Missouri he underperformed with his all-star Kim English team and didn’t even make the tournament with Clarkson / Brown.

Doug Wojcik (7 Years): 140-92 overall (60.3%) and 67-41 conference.
Frank Haith (6 years excluding 2020-21): 116-96 overall (56.1%) and 66-44 conference.

But everyone knew Wojcik scheduled weak nonconference games.

Tulsa, a small school, has compiled an outstanding basketball record. That past outstanding record is what is possible in the future. And that past outstanding record is what led to Wojcik's firing and probably Haith's in the near future.

That’s one example of several bad decisions and poor off court structure that handicaps how the team performs on the floor.

Haith is not the problem. Though, if we didn’t have larger issues, Haith might be the problem. Let’s fix our problems then deal with Haith. Not replace Haith and then say “Problem solved.” Only to be back here 3 years from now saying the same things.
Bull crap. Shoe deals and off the court nonsense has nothing to do with home court implosions against Tulane. Haith has shown that his team has the talent to beat good teams. He just hasn’t provided the consistency in coaching to sustain success. It’s been 6 years and the closest he came to getting into the normal rounds of 64 were with someone else’s players and he hasn’t come as close since despite having NBA / 4 star talent on the roster over that time.

Guys I have bled B&G with this team for 40 years. I hate to see us losing like we are. However, this team will have a very difficult time getting much better for some time due to the financial situation at TU. There is no money for sports, period. We are the smallest D1 program out there and and one of the smallest fan bases. We are fortunate to still be D1 in anything.
Your only hope would be to hire a promising high school coach or D2 coach and hope he can teach. Either way, I worried the days ofus competing on the national level may have ended.
I hate to say that but all you guys who want to fire Montgomery and Haith aren’t looking at the whole picture. Just my two cents.
Basketball programs are comparatively cheap compared to other sports. (That’s why so many small schools have them) That will be the last thing to go at TU.

Go get the coach from Drake. He won the MVC in his first year as a HC and his team is red hot this season. I’m sure whatever we pay him (1.1-1.6) will be more than he makes there. He was also an assistant to McDermott at Creighton. Who we all know is a quality coach.

Go get the coach from Drake. He won the MVC in his first year as a HC and his team is red hot this season. I’m sure whatever we pay him (1.1-1.6) will be more than he makes there. He was also an assistant to McDermott at Creighton. Who we all know is a quality coach.
He'll have his choice in that price range, and maybe a higher ticket as well.

Last edited:
When does Haith’s contract officially end this year?

According to the Tulsa World in May 2019, he received a 2 year extension to a contract that still had 1 year remaining.

That implies that he will be under contract until the end of the 2021/2022 season.

Reactions: Gmoney4WW
To my knowledge, unless it was extended again as part of a salary restructuring since his $300,00 give back in 2019, he will coach through the 2021-22 season.

According to the Tulsa World in May 2019, he received a 2 year extension to a contract that still had 1 year remaining.

That implies that he will be under contract until the end of the 2021/2022 season.
We can’t afford any buyout we will suffer another year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT